NOW will people start to really take note of Vereen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

NOW will people start to really take note of Vereen?

Carolina had arguably the second best defense in the NFL last season. 

Vereen is a receiving dynamo. I've been talking this guy up for over a year! If he is on the field for 16 games, he'll give 80+ catches. He was on pace for 90+ if you extrapolate his 8 game stats from last season.

When people talk Brady's weapons, why is he rarely mentioned!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: NOW will people start to really take note of Vereen?

You do realize that everyone on this board talks about Vereen being a great pass catcher, right? I mean even today there were multiple posts regarding this...never mind how many over the past year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I will admit we need to resign Vereen to a competitive contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

what do you mean? Everyone has always known he was a great receiving back as far back as Cal. Nothing knew here to take notice of.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Everyone knows Vereen has talent and is a great pass catcher the question has been since his rook year if he can stay out of the tub. If he can't give 14 meaningful games a year I wouldn't resign him unless it was for cheap money. No sense paying market value if you only get half a season a year. 

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Everyone knows Vereen has talent and is a great pass catcher the question has been since his rook year if he can stay out of the tub. If he can't give 14 meaningful games a year I wouldn't resign him unless it was for cheap money. No sense paying market value if you only get half a season a year. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

Disagree 100%

It's already been proven that sustaining injury has no bearing on a decision makers ability to predict new future injuries.

When you find talent, you keep it in a results based business. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Talent/ability has never been the question with Vereen... staying healthy has been. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Disagree 100%

It's already been proven that sustaining injury has no bearing on a decision makers ability to predict new future injuries.

Yeah no it hasn't. Hence why they have a durability metric in the drafting process. Why else have that metric?

Btw since Edelman hired someone to help with his durability, Brady uses the same guy, and Edelman even convinced Amendola to see the same guy I don't think they believe it either. But keep telling yourself it's just bad luck.

[object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I've always been a big fan of Vereen and honestly I don't ever remember a poster putting him down.  Just wish he makes it through the season injury free.

What's with the RED posts?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Anyone who's only now taking note of Vereen needs a Digum Smack.  The only thing keeping this kid back from being on the cover of Fantasy Football mag or breaking in deep to the Top 100 players list is his consistent (sadly) health issues.  Talent wise though, he's one of the more talented backs in the NFL. 

I know we have other backs now that can catch balls out of the backfield, spread out wide, and move the chains, but I can't even dream of any of them doing it half as well as Vereen, and it would be a mistake to not make a run at signing this guy now that he's in a contract year.  Health issues aside, this is the kind of talent that doesn't come around that often. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The only thing he gets knocked for is his inability to stay on the field because of injuries.  The jury is still out on that.  Nobody questions his abilities when on the field and healthy. 

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I will admit we need to resign Vereen to a competitive contract.

u mean cheap

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I prefer to hype up players who can actually stay on the field - but we have a fair amount of offensive talent right now and Vereen is certainly a weapon. 

I put more stock in his postseason play than a meaningless scrimmage but still, he's one more guy that can have an impact. 

I like this team and they looked good tonight

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Carolina had arguably the second best defense in the NFL last season. 

Vereen is a receiving dynamo. I've been talking this guy up for over a year! If he is on the field for 16 games, he'll give 80+ catches. He was on pace for 90+ if you extrapolate his 8 game stats from last season.

When people talk Brady's weapons, why is he rarely mentioned!

Don't know what your talking about.  I've been on vereens d13k since he got here.  He's been on the sideline due to injury. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

I think he gets much respect; except he has been oft injured. He's proven himself as a pass catcher, and involvement in play action.  Has more difficulty running inside vs. outside. Unsure about his blocking.  I think it'd be interesting to see him get more snaps.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Disagree 100%

Yeah no it hasn't. Hence why they have a durability metric in the drafting process. Why else have that metric?

Btw since Edelman hired someone to help with his durability, Brady uses the same guy, and Edelman even convinced Amendola to see the same guy I don't think they believe it either. But keep telling yourself it's just bad luck.

Response
    Strange you say that...take a look at Reiss's answer in his recent mail bag. Actually Patseng, did you write this question to Mikey?

Q. With tight end Nate Byham filling the final spot on the roster, and Byham coming off a torn ACL, I have to ask the question: Why does Bill Belichick keep signing injured players? I love BB as a coach but as a GM do you think he does too much business with his friends Greg Schiano, Nick Saban, etc. than he does by listening to his scouts on healthy players? -- Dave (Woodland Hills, California)

A. Dave, I don't think this is the type of signing where Bill Belichick is overruling scouts or relying too much on the information of a trusted voice in Schiano the way maybe he did with former Florida coach Urban Meyer in the past. We're talking about a blocking tight end here at very little financial risk to fill out the depth chart for training camp. I do think one part of the question that warrants more exploration is the idea that a healthy player is a better signing than one coming off an injury. That line of thinking makes sense to me, but as we saw with first-round pick Dominique Easley (two torn ACLs at Florida), the Patriots don't always see it that way. They've done extensive studies on the topic and have determined that there is little to no connection with past injuries and forecasting future injuries. I like the topic and think it's especially interesting this year with the Easley pick. I'd love to do more with it in the future.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Vereen is a dynamic player. His skill set calls for him to grab somewhere in the 60% range of snaps where he gets roughly 10 carries a game and should be in he neighborhood of 5-8 catches per game. 

IMHO he doesn't have the body type to be out there much than that. When he is out there he certainly is a match-up nightmare for the defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

There you have it. All recognize Vereen as a talent and have noted on this and past posts. Only concern is injury.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

The only question about Vereen is his health/durability. He stays healthy he is one of the most versatile backs in the league. If we could meld Vereen and Riddley together we'd be a top 3 running team. If he stays healthy I can see Vereen scoring 10+ TDs this season maybe even lead the team in running and receiving TDs.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Response
    Strange you say that...take a look at Reiss's answer in his recent mail bag. Actually Patseng, did you write this question to Mikey?

Q. With tight end Nate Byham filling the final spot on the roster, and Byham coming off a torn ACL, I have to ask the question: Why does Bill Belichick keep signing injured players? I love BB as a coach but as a GM do you think he does too much business with his friends Greg Schiano, Nick Saban, etc. than he does by listening to his scouts on healthy players? -- Dave (Woodland Hills, California)

A. Dave, I don't think this is the type of signing where Bill Belichick is overruling scouts or relying too much on the information of a trusted voice in Schiano the way maybe he did with former Florida coach Urban Meyer in the past. We're talking about a blocking tight end here at very little financial risk to fill out the depth chart for training camp. I do think one part of the question that warrants more exploration is the idea that a healthy player is a better signing than one coming off an injury. That line of thinking makes sense to me, but as we saw with first-round pick Dominique Easley (two torn ACLs at Florida), the Patriots don't always see it that way. They've done extensive studies on the topic and have determined that there is little to no connection with past injuries and forecasting future injuries. I like the topic and think it's especially interesting this year with the Easley pick. I'd love to do more with it in the future.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize 1 study by 1 team speaks absolutely truth for the entire league. My bad, I guess Brady, Edelman, and Amendola didn't read that report. What a waste of money they spent. But, True you're so bright lets play a game. I'll list every play who since rook year, college, or prior coming to the Pats has been known to have injury issues and if they continued on that trend with the Pats. You list every player who has come to the Pats who has been known to have injury issues and was/has been healthy since coming to the Pats. Ready:

Talib - continued to get injured

Gronk - continues to get injured

Vereen - continues to get injured

Amendola - continues to get injured

Stork - continues to get injured

Edelman - 1 healthy season out of how many?

Vollmer - Continues to get injured

Ras-I - Cut off the team because he couldn't stay healthy

McKenzie - never got health 1 injury right after the other

I'll take a pause and wait for you and your list. I'm sure it will be large, after all past history of injury prone players doesn't continue right? And no 1 off injures don't mean they are injury prone, having multiple injures and missing multiple games across a number of years does.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I have championed Vereen since that moment we drafted him. I have pointed out not only his great skills as a receiver but also as a runner. Many here (own up) mostly said he was a third down back. Many of those are fantasy football fans that think football is about stats and not winning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

You do realize that everyone on this board talks about Vereen being a great pass catcher, right? I mean even today there were multiple posts regarding this...never mind how many over the past year.

No. Honestly I didn't. For the past year+, every time I brought him up:

...crickets...

People talk about Ridley's backup, who will it be! Nobody talks about Vereen.

People freak out about Brady's 'weapons'! And Vereen doesn't get a mention.

Talk of X-Factor brings mention of Thompkins, Lafell, Amendola, a 16 game Gronk...but no Vereen.

Maybe I missed it. I NEVER read game threads, and aren't on here as much as I used to be...but Vereen talk seems to be little-to-nothing. He is the offensive 'weapon' I've been most excited about since the 2012 playoffs. He could end up being the BEST receiving RB in the NFL.

I honestly think BB and Co. limit his rushes to try and keep him as healthy as possible. He showed in Week 1 of last year what he is capable of. He may very well be the best RUNNING rb on the team as well.

Sections
Shortcuts