NY Giant Spending Spree = Play-offs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: NY Giant Spending Spree = Play-offs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What on that list of FAs scares you?  None.  They did beef up the RB group and they picked up OT Brown.  Jerry might be an upgrade to the OL as well but he has short comings.  So they may have improved a bit.   

[/QUOTE]

Our pal Jints is conspicuous by his absence. I thought for sure that he would weigh in on this discussion on Big Blue by now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What on that list of FAs scares you?  None.  They did beef up the RB group and they picked up OT Brown.  Jerry might be an upgrade to the OL as well but he has short comings.  So they may have improved a bit.   

[/QUOTE]

Our pal Jints is conspicuous by his absence. I thought for sure that he would weigh in on this discussion on Big Blue by now.

[/QUOTE]

Dad may have taken the computer away till the spring cleaning is done..  Leaves to be raked baby.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dad may have taken the computer away till the spring cleaning is done..  Leaves to be raked baby.

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here's a good article on the Giants' needs, post free agency. Lots of holes still to fill: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/04/nfl_draft_2014_giants_biggest_needs_after_free_agency.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

The NY Giants have spend a grand total of $115mil. this offseason on 24 players. Will that be enough to propel them to a playoff birth? What say you?:  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/vacchiano-giant-issues-remain-spending-spree-article-1.1747525

[/QUOTE]

no disrespect but... "What say you?" Are you wanting to be Bill O'Reilly?

When I saw the thread I KNEW it was Jints but it was... you? do we really care about the Giants? Why not talk about the Packers? Better yet, what about a team in our OWN conference.. say KC or even Houston who fell on their face when everyine thought they were playoff caliber...

No, I think Pjilly wins that Division and only one team makes it from the NFC Yeast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

All that money won't get them very far if their QB throws 24+ INTs again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

The NY Giants have spend a grand total of $115mil. this offseason on 24 players. Will that be enough to propel them to a playoff birth? What say you?:  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/vacchiano-giant-issues-remain-spending-spree-article-1.1747525

When I saw the thread I KNEW it was Jints but it was... you? do we really care about the Giants? Why not talk about the Packers? Better yet, what about a team in our OWN conference.. say KC or even Houston who fell on their face when everyine thought they were playoff caliber...

No, I think Pjilly wins that Division and only one team makes it from the NFC Yeast. 

Despite the fact that the G-men play in the NFC, they and the Patriots are big time rivals, fueled by those two not so Super Bowl losses, and the NY/Boston thing.

I was a Giants fan as a little kid, with the Patriots as my second most favorite team. But, when Bill Parcells left them and came to the Patriots, I became a full tilt Patriots fan...as I am to this very day. On occasion, I would go watch the Pats practice in the preseason under Parcells at Bryant College...now Bryant University.

I remember one time in particular when then Pats TE Ben Coates missed a block, allowing the pass-rusher to have a clean shot at then Pats' QB, Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe didn't get hit because he was wearing the red shirt. But, wow...did Parcells tear into Coates! It went something like this, as Parcells got right in his face, and screamed:

"COATES!!!! COATES!!!! What the f@#@# Coates!!! Mr. all-pro TE?? You missed your f$#^#@ block!! Now guess what?? Our QB is out for the f$#$@#@ season with a broken collar bone...because our studly pro-bowl TE can't make a lousy f@#@## block!!! You're a TE!!! You're being paid to BLOCK first, and catch passes later!! Get with it, SON!!!"

Sorry if it bothers you, but I still like the Giants...though a great deal less, due to the misery that they caused me in beating our Patriots, in SBs 42 and 46.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Idk, the free agent tracker starts to look good for NY:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/?year=2014&team=19&type=-1

...But go further down-  They lost A-lot of players too...Guys I consider to be very good role players and above-average starters for The Giants.  In all- I consider it awash...  Lost alot of contributors, gained alot of hopeful contributors...  seems they lost out on the DL & Overall Eligible Offensive pass-catching threat #'s and guys...Gained alot of help in The Secondary.  Meh.  A-lot of FA activity NY had to do this year just by guys' contracts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

hello TP!

i dont think i would call it a spree because it was a very targeted and methodical approach to upgrading/replacing at specific positions of need and they chose for the most part solid, proven types not flashy big names...tho I know u mean "spree" as in dollar amount spent

playoffs? i still say what i have always said: the past two seasons the Giants underachieved and there was a streak of complacency or "we will turn it on when we need to" mentality that i hope they now realize will lead to failure...a lot of injuries to big spots also but to my mind they had the talent-that is probably where we differ...can i see 10 wins and a playoff birth? yes-but the NFC is loaded once again and it may take a division title regardless of amount of wins...i do think the NFC East will rebound a bit this year as a whole

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I.m setting myself up for confrontations with boorish NY fans bywearing my patriots gear as Jets and Giants both miss the 2014 payoffs!

Boston, City of Champions

[/QUOTE]

as usual we must go down this well trod road

if this is to be proud of your city (though i believe they are the NEW ENGLAND patriots and play in FOXBORO) fair enough

if this is a shot at me well as i have said unlike your nice little provincial hamlet of Beantown we in the Greatest City In The World have TWO teams per sport. So as a Mets fan i despise the Yankees and root against them-it's NOT a New york thing-sorry to tell you but i hope the Red Sox sweep them this weekend

Always liked the Sox, don't mind the Celtics (always rooted for Bird over Magic and recently Garnett, etc...over Kobe) and don't hate the B's either...so Bahstan being the "City of Champions" bothers me not one little bit!

That all said there are two things we must get straight here:

1. Sports is all well and fun but as the entire world knows Boston is a nice little provincial city-all well and good and all-but New York is the center of the US and one of the greatest cosmopolitan cities ever! You guys are like our little neices and nephews who come over to visit and we give you some candy and toys to play with while the adults sit and talk...you understand- just as we here in the Big Apple understand your desire to be like us though we both know that will never be

2. once again as has been pointed out to those who wander in from the other sports boards this is a FOOTBALL forum. And as such only the Patriots, Jets and Giants (Bills? not really but you can throw them in) count here, not the Sox or Knicks or Briuns, etc...and in that we all know that it is I (and any other Giants fan who happens in) who will always be the king, head honcho, top dog, Grand Poobah etc etc etc...based on our team's infrequent but oh so intense rivalry as it has been established beyond doubt who is on top...The pecking order therefore MUST be:

JINTS

PATS

BILLS/JETS

so you see in the end though I am reluctant to do so (alas) I must once again pull rank as the de facto KING OF THE BOARD! The one who looks down from my perch on Mt Lombardi with Eli and Coughlin by my side!!

does anyone else hear trumpets??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Despite the fact that the G-men play in the NFC, they and the Patriots are big time rivals, fueled by those two not so Super Bowl losses, and the NY/Boston thing.

I was a Giants fan as a little kid, with the Patriots as my second most favorite team. But, when Bill Parcells left them and came to the Patriots, I became a full tilt Patriots fan...as I am to this very day. On occasion, I would go watch the Pats practice in the preseason under Parcells at Bryant College...now Bryant University.

I remember one time in particular when then Pats TE Ben Coates missed a block, allowing the pass-rusher to have a clean shot at then Pats' QB, Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe didn't get hit because he was wearing the red shirt. But, wow...did Parcells tear into Coates! It went something like this, as Parcells got right in his face, and screamed:

"COATES!!!! COATES!!!! What the f@#@# Coates!!! Mr. all-pro TE?? You missed your f$#^#@ block!! Now guess what?? Our QB is out for the f$#$@#@ season with a broken collar bone...because our studly pro-bowl TE can't make a lousy f@#@## block!!! You're a TE!!! You're being paid to BLOCK first, and catch passes later!! Get with it, SON!!!"

Sorry if it bothers you, but I still like the Giants...though a great deal less, due to the misery that they caused me in beating our Patriots, in SBs 42 and 46.  

[/QUOTE]

always did like you TP!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

here we agree Porto! I am flattered my heroes are a real burr in your collective saddles!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

NY Giants spending spree = less money in their pockets.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

I think they got some good pick-ups, but really I don't know what to make of the Giants anymore. They are a very unpredictable team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Patsdateam's comment:

I think they got some good pick-ups, but really I don't know what to make of the Giants anymore. They are a very unpredictable team.

Well, I know what to make of them, but yes, they are somewhat unpredictable.......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Patsdateam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes they are-at least it's never dull!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

come on TFB ur ok...don't become like Phillip and his butt buddy Ghosty

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hello TP!

i dont think i would call it a spree because it was a very targeted and methodical approach to upgrading/replacing at specific positions of need and they chose for the most part solid, proven types not flashy big names...tho I know u mean "spree" as in dollar amount spent

playoffs? i still say what i have always said: the past two seasons the Giants underachieved and there was a streak of complacency or "we will turn it on when we need to" mentality that i hope they now realize will lead to failure...a lot of injuries to big spots also but to my mind they had the talent-that is probably where we differ...can i see 10 wins and a playoff birth? yes-but the NFC is loaded once again and it may take a division title regardless of amount of wins...i do think the NFC East will rebound a bit this year as a whole

[/QUOTE]

I like what the G-men have done with their secondary. But, other than that, I don't see where they have accomplished all that much through free agency. They picked up a good guard, but their OL is still a concern. They lack a TE, have nothing at RB, lost their presumptive #1 WR in Nicks, and have a questionable ability to rush the passer.

That said, the Giants are better now than they were at the end of last season, defensively. But, they've lacked a productive MLB for years.

Jerry Reese will likely strive to rebuild his OL in the draft. Job One for the Giants is to protect Eli. He also needs to give Eli some semblance of a running game. Look for the Giants to select a couple of RBs.

Reese should also draft a TE. Eli has sorely missed having a big target like a Kevin Boss, or Jake Ballard. 

Priority of needs...OL, TE or MLB next, RB, WR. 

What say you? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I.m setting myself up for confrontations with boorish NY fans bywearing my patriots gear as Jets and Giants both miss the 2014 payoffs!

Boston, City of Champions

[/QUOTE]

as usual we must go down this well trod road

if this is to be proud of your city (though i believe they are the NEW ENGLAND patriots and play in FOXBORO) fair enough

if this is a shot at me well as i have said unlike your nice little provincial hamlet of Beantown we in the Greatest City In The World have TWO teams per sport. So as a Mets fan i despise the Yankees and root against them-it's NOT a New york thing-sorry to tell you but i hope the Red Sox sweep them this weekend

Always liked the Sox, don't mind the Celtics (always rooted for Bird over Magic and recently Garnett, etc...over Kobe) and don't hate the B's either...so Bahstan being the "City of Champions" bothers me not one little bit!

That all said there are two things we must get straight here:

1. Sports is all well and fun but as the entire world knows Boston is a nice little provincial city-all well and good and all-but New York is the center of the US and one of the greatest cosmopolitan cities ever! You guys are like our little neices and nephews who come over to visit and we give you some candy and toys to play with while the adults sit and talk...you understand- just as we here in the Big Apple understand your desire to be like us though we both know that will never be

2. once again as has been pointed out to those who wander in from the other sports boards this is a FOOTBALL forum. And as such only the Patriots, Jets and Giants (Bills? not really but you can throw them in) count here, not the Sox or Knicks or Briuns, etc...and in that we all know that it is I (and any other Giants fan who happens in) who will always be the king, head honcho, top dog, Grand Poobah etc etc etc...based on our team's infrequent but oh so intense rivalry as it has been established beyond doubt who is on top...The pecking order therefore MUST be:

JINTS

PATS

BILLS/JETS

so you see in the end though I am reluctant to do so (alas) I must once again pull rank as the de facto KING OF THE BOARD! The one who looks down from my perch on Mt Lombardi with Eli and Coughlin by my side!!

does anyone else hear trumpets??

[/QUOTE]

King of the leaf blower. Well some kind of blower or blow hard. I know I know ticket buddy!  Ha ha. Dad take the pc away?  Eeeeeee youuuuuu eeeeeee youuuuuu

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

always did like you TP!

[/QUOTE]

Awwwwwwww

that probably is a side effect of laying awake all night knowing your living a lie.  I have the quote. Tell us more about Eli. The qb who won't make the HOF cause he's really not that good. 

how many wins this year King of the leaf rake?  Common. Tell us

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah come on TFB your ok. Oh and btw. Here's your ticket. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah come on TFB your ok. Oh and btw. Here's your ticket. 

[/QUOTE]

you forgot his basket... he needs a place for his ticket book.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Tell us more about Eli. The qb who won't make the HOF cause he's really not that good. How many wins this year King of the leaf rake?  Common. Tell us

Bad news for Eli, and the G-men. Eli suffered a severe high ankle sprain during Week 16 last season, against the Redskins. He had hoped that, in time, the ankle would heal. But, he apparently is still hampered by it, to the point where he's having a surgical procedure done on it now...which should sideline him for 6-8 weeks.

With the Giants putting in a new offense, it remains to be seen how this will affect the the team. It also underscores the need for the Giants to prioritize their OL in the upcoming draft:  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/vacchiano-new-system-place-timing-eli-injury-couldn-worse-article-1.1753066 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

And with the number 1 pick in the 2015 draft the ny giants pick.....

Sections
Shortcuts