In response to TexasPat's comment:
In response to portfolio1's comment:
I do feel that
(1) the Giants are and always have been overcovered and overrated just as the Jets have and for the same reason
RESPONSE: Quite unlike the Jets, the Giants have won two SBs during the past seven seasons. So...including them in the same category as the Jets isn't fair.
(2) that the Giants are the least of all the SB winners of all time. They "earned" their playoff win v SF (on 2 muffed punt returns) about as much as the Eagles earned the win against the GIants when Joe Pisarcik fumbled. Just dumb luck. And in the SB opponent injuries gave them their chance. And in 2007.. a magic helmet.. that is dungeons and dragons. Not Football.
RESPONSE: The Pats won all three of their SBs by a FG. All were close games. An element of luck sometimes decides who wins or loses. For example, the Pats caught a huge break against the Raiders in that snowy 2002 playoff game, thanks to the Tuck Rule. Is it fair to say that, because of that, the Pats didn't earn that championship? Of course not. Same thing with the Giants. Unfortunately, they caught the breaks in that SB 42 loss.
(3) it actually says forum/sports/patriots/front burner. Since you want to use the tone I will follow your lead... only a moron would say this is NOT a partiots forum.
RESPONSE: So...I'm a moron now?? Why don't you go check how many threads there are on the "Front Burner" page that have nothing to do with the Patriots. I guess the folks that started those are morons, too?
(4) Of course I do agree you can start any post you like. About any team. But I stick by my reasoning that the Giants are one of the LEAST important teams to Pats fans. They are not in our division. They are not even in our CONFERENCE! And they are not even one of the best teams in THEIR conference. In fact, they are not even the best team in their lame division. And we dont play them this year do we. So of all the teams to start a thread about the Giants are about the lamest.
RESPONSE: Those two SB wins over the Pats make the Giants relevant to Pats fans. They are hated...which makes them of interest to Pats fans.
(5) Stop changing facts to suit yourself. If it say Patriots on the name of the forum you dont get to change the facts and say it is "really" somehting else.
RESPONSE: I repeat, this is a football talk forum, with the Pats on the Front Burner.
So... no problem. Your team sucks and is not at all important.
RESPONSE: The Patriots are my team...not the Giants.
In closing, I apologize for not being as clear about those aspects that were tongue in cheek. But I do think your defense, outside of the simple fact that you do have a right to post what you like, is all pretty lame rationalization.
RESPONSE: You apologize on one hand, and call me a moron on the other. Geez!
Except for your post about this NOT being a Patriots forum your points have SOME merit.
I ahve already said my thoughts about the most lucky team in NFL history. BUt your point of the Jets is not a good one. The Jets at least won their game by pounding the overconfident Colts. Snell, their FB should have been MVP not overrated Joey Namath. But the Giants last three SB wins each had a fair amount of luck.
You are right that the smallest thing can change the outcome of a terribly close game. But (1) a magic helmet is not a "normal" piece of luck. It is a once in a lifetime piece of luck. The Franco Harris immaculate reception from 40 years ago is the only play that is of that caliber (even more so when you realize that Rodney was defending and made a strong play to break it up), (2) two muffed punt returns near the end of a conference championship game... followed by having a top notch, record setting WR known for his clutch catching drops THE pass which would have all but iced the SB.... not even touched by the poor defense fielded on the play by Giants.... so they didnt earn those plays they were gifted them. At least most fumbles require being hit! And interceptions at the very least require someone to catch it!
I could bgo back and forth on all points but I acknowledge that many of your points are not without some merit.