NY Giants Defense is all Hype!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

NY Giants Defense is all Hype!

With all the NY Media hyping up how great the Giants defense is, I just thought I would post a little reality.

The Giants D ranked 27th overall(regular season), giving up 6022 yds and 400 total points.  The Pats D has given up less pts at 342 in the regular season.  

While the Giants offense was respectable(8th overall), The Pats Offense put up far more pts in the 2011 regular season(547 vs. 394).

The Pats should have no problem putting up points against this defense.  The question will be whether or not Eli and company can keep up with the Pats in scoring.  Me thinks not!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: NY Giants Defense is all Hype!

Agreed, the media is spinning them into the 85 Bears.  I guess alot is from the SB 5 years ago, but that defense is not very good this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

They are just a Jekyll and Hyde defense.  Sometimes very good and other times they've gotten blown out.  Much like the Pats' D they have played better as of late.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I both agree and disagree.  I think they are getting some hype because they slowed down Green Bay.  They also kept us in check earlier this year.

Both teams are playing better now than they did for most of the regular season.  I really don't think that the regular season stats matter much for this game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Football is about match-ups, not stats. The Giants play a D that bothers the Pats. Same as the Jets and Ravens. The Pat's better be ready for the Giants to come flying across the line of scrimage hell bent on getting Brady.

4 years ago the Pats had no answer, hopefully this go round they get it figured out.

However, I still believe that it's actually the Pat's D who will determine who wins the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to NY Giants Defense is all Hype!:
    [QUOTE]With all the NY Media hyping up how great the Giants defense is, I just thought I would post a little reality. The Giants D ranked 27th overall(regular season), giving up 6022 yds and 400 total points.  The Pats D has given up less pts at 342 in the regular season.   While the Giants offense was respectable(8th overall), The Pats Offense put up far more pts in the 2011 regular season(547 vs. 394). The Pats should have no problem putting up points against this defense.  The question will be whether or not Eli and company can keep up with the Pats in scoring.  Me thinks not!
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with this - I keep reading how awful and lucky the Pats were to beat the Ravens  - it's true the Pats, and specifically Brady, didn't execute well in that game but they managed to score 23 point on a Ravens D which I feel is far superior to the Giants

I keep reading experts picking the Giants who have the Pats scoring 14-20 points  - I just can't understand it - heck, the Pats turned it over 3 times in the Ravens game and scored 23

If the Pats take care of the football they will score 28-35 points - can the Giants keep up - especially when the Pats make the Giants totally 1 dimensional by forcing them to throw in 2/3 long consistently

Prediction - the Pats win the turn over battle and win the game 28-17

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Yeah the Ravens have a better a LB corps and a better secondary, thus a better overall defense. The only thing the Giants have is good defensive line. And the Ravens had three players notorious for killing the Pats (Pollard, Reed, Lewis and at times Suggs & Ngata). The Ravens D is much better and we beat. All Brady & Co. have to do is negate or pick up the blitz.....Reed>Rolle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Didn't the Pats lose to the Giants this year?  The way some people make it sound, the Pats should be able to walk all over the Giants, but that didn't happen the last they played each other.

The Giants are going to try to take away the short pass in the middle of the field and put pressure on Brady so that he doesn't have time to make longer passes or pass to his 3rd or 4th options.  If the Giants can do that, then the Pats will have a hard time.

The Pats OL have to give brady time to make the 3rd and 4th read or the Pats have to make the outside and longer passes the 1st and 2nd reads.

Who ever has the ball last will win the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jck1962. Show jck1962's posts

I think the best thing is, is that the Giants D think they are going to dominate the front line of the Patriots, all the stupid comments coming from the Giants side is so much good fuel for the Patriots fire, I hope the Pats embarrass them bad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Interesting thread, but the Giants have made some really big plays when it mattered, at times against really good teams.

They're really the only team that should have beaten the Packers twice.  The first game the Giants lost, but at the time the Packers were favorites to go to the SB.  And in that game, inches made the difference, literally.

I just don't want to count out a D that's been hot for about 6 weeks now.  And they stepped up big against GB.  Rogers looked like a rookie in that game, maybe worse.  GB's O Line looked really, really bad. 

Ironically, though, I've got a feeling the Pats' D will play their best game of the season to lead this to to a win.  The Pats' D will make one, maybe two big plays to silence critics. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: NY Giants Defense is all Hype!:
    [QUOTE]Didn't the Pats lose to the Giants this year?  The way some people make it sound, the Pats should be able to walk all over the Giants, but that didn't happen the last they played each other. The Giants are going to try to take away the short pass in the middle of the field and put pressure on Brady so that he doesn't have time to make longer passes or pass to his 3rd or 4th options.  If the Giants can do that, then the Pats will have a hard time. The Pats OL have to give brady time to make the 3rd and 4th read or the Pats have to make the outside and longer passes the 1st and 2nd reads. Who ever has the ball last will win the game.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

The Giants front four has its own name, but a good name doesn't make them the equivalent of the '07 front four.  Pierre-Paul is good, Osi isn't much worse than he was, and the fourth guy is just plain missing in action compared to the '07 team.

Just as important, the Patriots' line is far better than the badly wounded line taking the field four years ago.  These are the regulars.  I'm assuming Vollmer takes over for Solder, although Solder isn't bad as a rookie.  As a group they do great against Indianapolis's defensive ends. 

Now we get to the no-name Giants backfield.  They don't have a name because the Giants haven't seen a good backfield in a long while.  They have no one in particular to cover Gronk, Hernandez and Welker. 

Nor are the Giants special at stopping the run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .   it's pretty simple, really:

If New England's offensive line can neutralize the pressure -- something it couldn't do four years ago, or indeed, earlier this season -- it is going to be a long, long evening for the New Jersey defense.

If it can't . . .

Foot in mouth

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Not so fast, there, Rusty . . .

How come when the Pats get turnovers they've "caused" them, but when New Jersey gets them they're gifts?

Huh?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

You should see if you can find an avatar of Rusty chugging Clark's beer in the desert.

That's my favorite part of that whole movie.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

No . . .  I don't agree with you.

You've got an obvious homer bias, and that's fine, but the bottom line is that if the offense has the ball and gives it up, it's the offenses fault no matter what the defense did. Of course defenses "cause" turnovers, that's their job, but it's funny to watch you select only those examples that make whatever case your trying to make at any partticular moment. If you weren't so busy being an internet blowhard you might have made a marginal lawyer.

Special teams is a seperate case. If you don't have anyone back there who can catch . . .  well . . .  that's a personnel issue, so go see the GM, but I just get tired of you picking and choosing when turnovers matter and when they don't.

But that's the internet, I guess.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Look, Russ, I don't have all day to play this particular minuet with you.

You say Brady throws "moronic" passes, but when the Pats make an interception, that's gameplan and clever disugising. When we do it, it's a mistake . . .  when they do it, that us being awesome.

You want to have it both ways and I'm just saying I notice it, that's all.

Maybe if you spent less time responding to every bit of excruciating minutae on this board (to the apparent exclusion of anything else in your life) you wouldn't contradict yourself so much.

But that's just a guess.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Re: NY Giants Defense is all Hype!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NY Giants Defense is all Hype! : Didn't GB beat NYG in the regular season? I think they did, 38-35. GB only lost to KC. GB turned it over FOUR times to the Giants in the game in GB a few weeks back.  NE did this in November.  It won't happen again. If NE does not turn it over, NE wins the SB.  Book it.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Yeah Rusty.  That was no fluke.  Don't know if you caught the game, but GB didn't lose the game; the Giants won it.

But I agree that turnovers will be the difference in this game.  But for people to think the Giants' D is overrated?  No.  Not a bit.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts