NY Jets @ New England Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

NY Jets @ New England Patriots REPORT CARD

I know that you Leon haters are real happy with this win. But, forgive me guys for not sharing in your joy. The Jets are just an average team, playing without their two best players, NT Kris Jenkins, and RB/KR Leon Washington. The Patriots should be able to beat these Jets by at least two TDs, on any 4 out of 5 given Sundays. If the Pats beat the Saints next week, then I'll get excited.

For those of you who point out to the "great rivalry" between these teams...that is a result of the NY media championing the bogus spygate mantra, rather than true competition between the teams. There is but one rivalry of that nature in the AFC, thats between the Patriots and Colts.

To borrow a quote I once read elsewhere, the Jets are like the Tommy/Joe Peschi character in the mob movie, "Goodfellas". Every now and then the  sadistic, pint sized Tommy will get be able to get the drop on a Billy Bats, and be able to take him out. But, in the end, we all know how things will eventually end up for Tommy.

But, I digress. Here are my grades:  

A.) OFFENSE: A tale of two halves. The Pats were brought their "A" game in the first half, but pretty much went through the motions in the second half, as they nursed a 17 point lead.

1.) QB: A great first half by Tom Terrific, who must have been shocked at what he was seeing from the Jets' defense. Was anybody covering Wes Welker? In the second half, Tom seemed to be more pressured, and was hurried and hit often. Tom finished with 28 completions in 41 attempts, for 310 yards, one TD, and no picks...with a normal 98.6 (not his temperature, his QB rating!). Tom held the ball too long on one pass play, which resulted in a strip sack...and made one terrible deep throw that would have been intercepted, had Randy Moss not put the wraps on Jets' CB, Darelle Revis:
    GRADE: B+;

2.) RBs:
    After having fumbled just once during his career, Laurence Maroney has now fumbled in two straight games. Had Sammy Morris been ready to play, odds are that Maroney would have been benched. Though I have defended him throughout the season, he must be made to realize that the fumbling had better  cease. To his credit, Maroney bounced back and ran hard, finishing with 22 carries for 77 yards, and two rushing TDs. Kevin Faulk wasn't much of a factor in the running game, but contributed with 4 receptions for 53 yards. But, he also had a drop in the second half, which cost the Patriots 20 plus yards, and ended a drive: 
    GRADE: C+;

3.) OL:
    Like most of the team, seemed focused and intense in the first half, while going through the motions in the second half. Their initial great pass protection broke down at times in the second stanza, as Tom Brady was hit hard too many times. Would still like to see improvement with the run blocking. Holding call on Logan Mankins killed a late second quarter drive, and set the stage for the blocked punt, which swung the momentum for a blow-out away from the Pats:
    GRADE: B;

4.) TEs and WRs: The TEs seemed to be used to help out against the Jets outside pass-rushers...as the goal was to let a protected Brady riddle the Jets secondary with WRs Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Though the Jets pretty much shut down Moss, no one...and I mean, no one...bothered to cover Welker. Wes torched the Jets with a career high 15 receptions for 192 yards...included one beautiful 43 yard hook-up. Is there any doubt what Welker means to this offense? Kudos to Julian Edelman for a great effort on a run and catch, to pick up a first down...and give the Jets little hope for a comeback:
    GRADE: A- (but an A+ for Welker) 

B.) DEFENSE:
    Shut down the run in the first half, when it mattered. Intercepted rookie QB Mark Sanchez 4 times, including three by Leigh Bodden. One of which was a 53 yard pick-six, which set the tone early. But, one has to wonder how much of the "D"'s success had to do with the inept performance by Sanchez, who finished with just 8 completions in 21 attempts, for 136 yards, plus the aforementioned 4 picks. Its' also worth noting that the "D" was only on the field for 20 minutes.

1.) DL: Solid in the first half...just OK in the second. Vince Wilfolk seemed to have his usual dominating game against the Greenshirts. Having Ty Warren back made a huge difference:

2.) LBs: This might have been the best game of the season for Adalius Thomas. Tully Banta-Cain chipped in with two more sacks, including one which caused a fumble, and seemed to do a good overall job on the edge. Usual solid effort from Gary Guyton and Jerod Mayo:
    GRADE: B+;

3.) SECONDARY: With the exception of Jonathan Wilhite getting beat by Jerricho Cotchery for a deep TD, this unit looked like world beaters. As mentioned above, Leigh Bodden had three picks, including one he returned for a TD. Safety Brandon Meriweather finished things off when he picked off a Sanchez prayer in the closing minutes. The high grade they are receiving must be tempered by the fact that they weren't exactly facing one of the QB elites in this one:
    GRADE: A-;

C.) SPECIAL TEAMS:
    An awful performance in both executing kicks, and in kick coverage. A high snap led to a missed Stephen Gostkowski 40 yard FG, just before half-time. But, the mortal sin was the blocked punt, in which the Jets registered a TD, pulled to within 17 points, and changed the momentum of the game. Though its' hard to really tell what happened, but it appeared that either Jerod Mayo or somebody else missed a blocking assignment, as the Jets Eric Smith got to Chris Hanson clean. Had the blocked punt not occurred, the Pats might have won this game by at least 4 TDs. As for the kick coverage, the Jets seemed to average 35 yards per kickoff return, and 12-15 yards per punt return. Both of which are completely unacceptable.
    GRADE: F;

D.) COACHING: Great job by BB and his staff of getting the team to move on from the Indy heartbreaker...and deal with the task at hand. What happened with the special teams? What was going on with those delay of game calls...as the offense appeared a bit unsure of themselves in the second half. Credit the play callers for repeatedly going to Wes Welker, who the Jets failed to cover all afternoon. Though the defense played well, its' hard to say whether they've improved, or simply are looking good against inferior opposition. The Pats still must show that they're capable of beating a quality opponent on the road. They'll get another crack at it next weekend in New Orleans:

E.) PLAY OF THE GAME: 
    The Leigh Bodden 53 yard pick-six;

F.) GAME BALLS: Leigh Bodden, and Wes Welker.

Here are the game stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291122017

Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: NY Jets @ New England Patriots REPORT CARD

TPat3: well done again. Just a couple of observations and a quick question. I thought Kaczur stunk it up again today and the OL almost got Brady killed. We got some pressure on Sanchez but the Saints will handle that easily. Can you tell me why Edelman is in the backfield in punting situations? Here's a valuable 3rd receiver coming off a broken arm and he's in there blocking for Hanson!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Apparently, Jets QB Mark Sanchez is under heavy criticism in NY...where the word "BUST" is beginning to be thrown around: http://www.theganggreen.com/2009/11/22/jets-lose-to-pats-sanchez-remains-starter.

In my view, the Jets have done a disservice to this kid by putting too much on him, too soon. Talk that the Jets were a legitimate SB contender at the beginning of the season was ridiculous.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

TPat3: Forgot to ask you whether it makes sense using Welker to return punts when using him as a receiver is so much more critical to the team?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: NY Jets @ New England Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE] TPat3: well done again. Just a couple of observations and a quick question. I thought Kaczur stunk it up again today and the OL almost got Brady killed. We got some pressure on Sanchez but the Saints will handle that easily. Can you tell me why Edelman is in the backfield in punting situations? Here's a valuable 3rd receiver coming off a broken arm and he's in there blocking for Hanson!
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

My guess is that the Pats have him there to keep the threat of a fake punt alive. Remember, Edelman is an ex-QB. Sometime this season, I expect the Pats to direct snap it to him, and to try to complete a 4th down pass.

As for the Saints, despite their unbeaten record, like Indy, they're not playing as well now as they were early in the season. Their defense is good, but doesn't seem to apply as much QB pressure as the Colts and Jets do. One of the main reasons for their drop off in play has been the ankle injury to their Wes Welker...Lance Moore. Moore makes their offense purr. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

In Response to NY Jets @ New England Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]  Was anybody covering Wes Welker?  Though the Jets pretty much shut down Moss, no one...and I mean , no one ...bothered to cover Welker. Wes torched the Jets with a season high 15 receptions for 192 yards...included one beautiful 43 yard hook-up. Is there any doubt what Welker means to this offense? Credit the play callers for repeatedly going to Wes Welker, who the Jets failed to cover all afternoon. [/QUOTE]

Can any defense cover Welker? (NO!)

Has any team ever succeeded in covering Welker? (NO!)

300 catches in 40 games, no one has ever been able to stop him, not because they did not bother but because no one is capable. Welker can't be covered, period, he is unstoppable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] TPat3: Forgot to ask you whether it makes sense using Welker to return punts when using him as a receiver is so much more critical to the team?
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

It makes sense for two reasons...the first being that he's good at it...the second being for necessity. No one else on the team is as dangerous, and as dependable (no muffs or fumbles) as Welker.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

TPat3, what world do you live in man. The highest QB rating in history over career is Steve Young at 94 ish. All of a sudden 28/41 for 310 yds, 1 TD and no picks for a 98.6 rating is a B+. Do you guys have any idea how spoilt you are. A performance like that is B+?!!??!?! What do you want, new NFL records every game just to consider it an A performance. I bet you in the Titans game you also gave just an A- because all the TDs were in 2nd quarter and not much action in first quarter or something absurd. 

I must say that in general that all of you guys are really getting spoilt. When you see some mediocre QB who messes up every single game finally have a decent game and has 28/41, 310 yds, 1 TD, no picks, you'd say A+ wow finally a good game from him. Right now it's ........ meh another B+. Yeah he won the game, and yeah he was good, but where's the flash, where's the bombastic scoring, where's the new record broken....... this was just a win *yawn*.

Crazy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

In Response to NY Jets @ New England Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]     I know that you Leon haters are real happy with this win. But, forgive me guys for not sharing in your joy. The Jets are just an average team, playing without their two best players, NT Kris Jenkins, and RB/KR Leon Washington. The Patriots should be able to beat these Jets by at least two TDs, on any 4 out of 5 given Sundays.

HELLO i totally disagree your initial statement. How exactly could we beat a Jets team from the past? as much as i would like to play the week 2 Jets, they not longer exist. In the NFL you have to take care of the Task at Hand. Every team is a changing "organism" with up & downs.

I`ve had would like the November 07 Pats to play the Superbowl, but that´s was impossible, the Feb. 08 Pats played that game.

For me its difficult to give some credit to your "score card" because of the perspective and logic of your opening statement.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Pats Report Card: Quarterback - A, another overall big game from TB, a few gliches but the field general kept the troops moving.
    Running Backs - B, not a big fan of Maroney but, although he fumbled, I thought he played well, especially in the 2nd half.
    Offensive Line - B-, patchwork line plays decent, got caught with Brady holding the ball a couple of times but overall a good effort.
    Receivers - C, other than Welker (A+), was anyone else playing.  Face it Randy, Revis has you covered.
    Defensive Line - B, resign Wilfork.
    Linebackers - B, Adalius made a couple of plays, Banta Cain a couple of sacks, BB is getting a lot out of this group.
    Secondary - B, still a work in progress but playing better.  Sanchez is not Manning (or Brees)
    Special Teams - C, usually good squad allows some breakdowns, time to refocus for next week.
    Coaching - B-, what in the world do you boys talk about at halftime??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

[QUOTE]Coaching - B-, what in the world do you boys talk about at halftime??
    Posted by southernpat[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!! No sh!t......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to NY Jets @ New England Patriots REPORT CARD : [QUOTE]     I know that you Leon haters are real happy with this win. But, forgive me guys for not sharing in your joy. The Jets are just an average team, playing without their two best players, NT Kris Jenkins, and RB/KR Leon Washington. The Patriots should be able to beat these Jets by at least two TDs, on any 4 out of 5 given Sundays. HELLO i totally disagree your initial statement. How exactly could we beat a Jets team from the past? as much as i would like to play the week 2 Jets, they not longer exist. In the NFL you have to take care of the Task at Hand. Every team is a changing "organism" with up & downs. I`ve had would like the November 07 Pats to play the Superbowl, but that´s was impossible, the Feb. 08 Pats played that game. For me its difficult to give some credit to your "score card" because of the perspective and logic of your opening statement.
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

While I agree that the Pats have to take care of the "task at hand" each week, that doesn't change the fact that, right now, the Jets are not a good football team. They've lost something like 5 out of their last 6 games, including being swept by the Dolphins.

Who said anything about replaying week 2? In week two, the Jets were healthy and enthusiastic...while the Pats were struggling with a rusty Tom Brady, and were Welkerless. I never have lamented about that 16-9 loss, as that was the one game this season in which the Pats were completely outplayed, and deserved to lose. But, OK...let me clarify my opening statement by saying that the current Pats should beat the current Jets 4 out of 5 times by at least two TDs. 

The bottom line is that the Pats need to prove that they can beat an elite team on the road. In every tough road game they've had this season, they've lost. I view the Pats as a SB or bust team. I grade them harder because I expect more from them...I expect them to play like the elite team that they're advertised to be.

In truth, I'm still a bit hung over from that loss to the hated Colts. The Pats blew that game...which they should have won with relative ease.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

TP3 - don't sweat it man... Pats will have that chance to beat an elite team on the road on Monday.... all you have to do is sit and wait!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

TP I am usually in agreement with your grades give or take a + or a - attached to the letter, but I could not disagree with your opening statement.  Don't you think the teams/fans in Pitt and Cincy are saying they should beat KC and Oakland each by AT LEAST 17 points???  What happened there?  Indy squeaks by a Jet-like Raven team, and SD throttles Denver.  I guess by that logic SD is the top team in the AFC?  I realize that the Indy loss still stings, but it is in the rearview mirror now man.  Now I haven't punched NEs ticket to the SB, but there are 6 games left.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TPat3, what world do you live in man. The highest QB rating in history over career is Steve Young at 94 ish. All of a sudden 28/41 for 310 yds, 1 TD and no picks for a 98.6 rating is a B+. Do you guys have any idea how spoilt you are. A performance like that is B+?!!??!?! What do you want, new NFL records every game just to consider it an A performance. I bet you in the Titans game you also gave just an A- because all the TDs were in 2nd quarter and not much action in first quarter or something absurd.  I must say that in general that all of you guys are really getting spoilt. When you see some mediocre QB who messes up every single game finally have a decent game and has 28/41, 310 yds, 1 TD, no picks, you'd say A+ wow finally a good game from him. Right now it's ........ meh another B+. Yeah he won the game, and yeah he was good, but where's the flash, where's the bombastic scoring, where's the new record broken....... this was just a win *yawn*. Crazy.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Whats' wrong with a "B+"? Thats' a very good grade. If Tom had strung together two halves like the first half, he would have gotten an "A+". But, that didn't happen. You want to call that being spoiled, fine.

I do *yawn* over this win. Did anyone really expect that the Patriots would lose this game? Are the Jets anywhere near in the same class as the Patriots? Let the Pats beat the Saints next week, and I'll show some real enthusiasm.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP I am usually in agreement with your grades give or take a + or a - attached to the letter, but I could not disagree with your opening statement.  Don't you think the teams/fans in Pitt and Cincy are saying they should beat KC and Oakland each by AT LEAST 17 points???

RESPONSE: The Cincinnati Bengals, despite their record, are not in the same class as the Patriots. The Steelers have been disappointing this season, partially because they have played most of the season without their best defender, Troy Polamalu. Fans of those teams should be fuming that their teams lost to such lowly competition. But, these losses came on the road. If the Pats had gone into NY and won 31-14, I'd be much more enthusiastic over the win.

What happened there?  Indy squeaks by a Jet-like Raven team, and SD throttles Denver.  I guess by that logic SD is the top team in the AFC?

RESPONSE: Right now, San Diego may be the best team in the AFC. The Chargers have beaten some good teams on the road, and have as good a record as the Patriots. Indy squeaked by a tough Ravens team on the road, coming off a huge win over the Pats.

I realize that the Indy loss still stings, but it is in the rearview mirror now man.

RESPONSE: The Pats must show the ability to beat an elite team on the road. They'll get another crack at it this next week in New Orleans.

Now I haven't punched NEs ticket to the SB, but there are 6 games left.
    Posted by DBAZ22[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Has anyone noticed the Pats run defense looks much better this year than it has the last few years.  The last couple of years there have been big holes and running backs were tearing off first downs everywhere.  This year most backs run into a brick wall at the line of scrimmage.  I don't really know how the stats compare but considering the Pats have to face Miami, NY, and TN who are all top 5 running teams I think they have done very well. 
    Most of Thomas Jones yards came late in the second half when the Pats knew the Jets had to pass to get into the game.  (44 yards in 4th I believe)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fredericknittle. Show fredericknittle's posts

Anyone notice that Bellichick stays on the field after a win and walks around taking up to 6-7 minutes to shake hands and enjoy himself? I point this out only because after a loss he sprints off in under 90 seconds....Watch him exit like his pants are on fire next Monday night after the New Orleans game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Of course the two halves were completely different.
    The offense was run to score points in the first half and run down the clock in the second. You also saw them throwing less to Welker since it was clear the Jests defense was head hunting him.

As for the D you all know that BB is perfectly happy to let an opposing team eat up the clock on a drive when he has a big lead.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Has anyone noticed the Pats run defense looks much better this year than it has the last few years.  The last couple of years there have been big holes and running backs were tearing off first downs everywhere.  This year most backs run into a brick wall at the line of scrimmage.  I don't really know how the stats compare but considering the Pats have to face Miami, NY, and TN who are all top 5 running teams I think they have done very well.  Most of Thomas Jones yards came late in the second half when the Pats knew the Jets had to pass to get into the game.  (44 yards in 4th I believe)
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

The perceived improvement is due to having faster, more athletic players. ILBs Jerod Mayo and Gary Guyton can both run, yet are strong enough to fill the gaps. The secondary as a whole is faster and quicker...which allows them to be more effectivve in helping out on runs.

The Pats are an elite OLB/DE pass-rusher away from once again having a great defense.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

C.) SPECIAL TEAMS: An awful performance in both executing kicks, and in kick coverage. A high snap led to a missed Stephen Gostkowski 40 yard FG, just before half-time. But, the mortal sin was the blocked punt, in which the Jets registered a TD, pulled to within 17 points, and changed the momentum of the game. Though its' hard to really tell what happened, but it appeared that either Jerod Mayo or somebody else missed a blocking assignment, as the Jets Eric Smith got to Chris Hanson clean. Had the blocked punt not occurred, the Pats might have won this game by at least 4 TDs. As for the kick coverage, the Jets seemed to average 35 yards per kickoff return, and 12-15 yards per punt return. Both of which are completely unacceptable.
    GRADE: F;

Anyone else see #18 Matthew Slater pulling back in being afraid to block a Jets punt?  He was chicken-bleep to extend and risk being kicked in the face.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

SPECIAL TEAMS: An awful performance in both executing kicks, and in kick coverage. A high snap led to a missed Stephen Gostkowski 40 yard FG, just before half-time. But, the mortal sin was the blocked punt, in which the Jets registered a TD, pulled to within 17 points, and changed the momentum of the game. Though its' hard to really tell what happened, but it appeared that either Jerod Mayo or somebody else missed a blocking assignment, as the Jets Eric Smith got to Chris Hanson clean. Had the blocked punt not occurred, the Pats might have won this game by at least 4 TDs. As for the kick coverage, the Jets seemed to average 35 yards per kickoff return, and 12-15 yards per punt return. Both of which are completely unacceptable. GRADE: F;       D.) COACHING: Great job by BB and his staff of getting the team to move on from the Indy heartbreaker...and deal with the task at hand. What happened with the special teams? What was going on with those delay of game calls...as the offense appeared a bit unsure of themselves in the second half. Credit the play callers for repeatedly going to Wes Welker, who the Jets failed to cover all afternoon. Though the defense played well, its' hard to say whether they've improved, or simply are looking good against inferior opposition. The Pats still must show that they're capable of beating a quality opponent on the road. They'll get another crack at it next weekend in New Orleans: GRADE: B;      E.) PLAY OF THE GAME:  The Leigh Bodden 53 yard pick-six;      F.) GAME BALLS: Leigh Bodden, and Wes Welker.     Here are the game stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291122017         Thoughts?                 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

TexPat: My view on the game

1) A win is a win. I thought the Offense was perfect yesterday, Yes LM had a fumble but he also ran tough and had a TD.

2) Defense did what it was suppose to do, stop the run and make Sanchez mess up. Both happened

3) Special team lost on a blocked punt runback for a TD. It happens but I do not have a huge concern on their playing.

Over all a great win. The O, the D and the coaches played with passion and brought is home. I saw a few misses but I never expect perfection, just a win. I feel more than confident we can take NO if we come to play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

In truth, I'm still a bit hung over from that loss to the hated Colts. The Pats blew that game...which they should have won with ease.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Yes i´m too a little hung over... let´s hope the team also is, so they go to the dome and take care of business.

Is it real, or i just don´t think the Saints are nearly as good as they record shows? Maybe i´m wrong but for me they are one of the weakest 10-0 teams i remember in a long time. they have not played very good teams.

Its gonna be a big challenge for the Pats to play in the noisy dome.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] In truth, I'm still a bit hung over from that loss to the hated Colts. The Pats blew that game...which they should have won with ease.   Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] Yes i´m too a little hung over... let´s hope the team also is, so they go to the dome and take care of business. Is it real, or i just don´t think the Saints are nearly as good as they record shows? Maybe i´m wrong but for me they are one of the weakest 10-0 teams i remember in a long time. they have not played very good teams. Its gonna be a big challenge for the Pats to play in the noisy dome.
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

Don't sell the Saints short. In my view, they're better than the Colts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

The Jets had not blocked a punt in something like 25 years... i was thinking it was another college-type coaching error (like the one last week) but i guess someome missed an assignment.  So instead of BB getting a C, the special teams get a F or D. 

I agree with TP that New Orleans is a tougher opponent than Indy--esp given that Indy had many of their scary defenders misssing last week. 

Sections
Shortcuts