NY Media Working to Nullify Seymour Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: NY Media Working to Nullify Seymour Trade

Doesn't it make you wonder if there was some kind of under the table agreement?  I am sure Belichick would have nothing of that.  He's an above board kind of guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeonLike. Show LeonLike's posts

Hey Pedroverrated-You must be new in here-I've been saying that for years.I must retract one statement though.I have always and will always hate the loudmouth ,what's his name with the ketchup on his sock...oh yeah Schilling.Beckett is slowly working his way onto the list also.But he's getting hit so hard these days it's too much fun to watch.
    When will you people turn on BB?I'm guessing about midseason when you realize that the pats are just another team in the NFL.The glory Days(tainted as they may be) are long gone for pats fans.
    All right Gang! You know Leon-Early to bed and early to rise makes Leon not only healthy but wealthy and oh so very wise!

Y'all have a nice night now....ya'hear!?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PedroiaThaDestroyah. Show PedroiaThaDestroyah's posts

In Response to Re: NY Media Working to Nullify Seymour Trade:
    [QUOTE]Hey Pedroverrated-You must be new in here-I've been saying that for years.I must retract one statement though.I have always and will always hate the loudmouth ,what's his name with the ketchup on his sock...oh yeah Schilling.Beckett is slowly working his way onto the list also.But he's getting hit so hard these days it's too much fun to watch. When will you people turn on BB?I'm guessing about midseason when you realize that the pats are just another team in the NFL.The glory Days(tainted as they may be) are long gone for pats fans. All right Gang! You know Leon-Early to bed and early to rise makes Leon not only healthy but wealthy and oh so very wise! Y'all have a nice night now....ya'hear!?
    Posted by LeonLike[/QUOTE] 
    8:20? you still live at your mom's house?

And I never really liked Schilling, I personally will never turn on BB untill he has consecutive loosing seasons, so like what the Jets did a few seasons of 4-12 and i think it'll be time for him to go. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from THEGREATgymrat36. Show THEGREATgymrat36's posts

The football story is the best leon...tell it again!!! Tell all the new people leon, its a great story

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Honestly, who cares.  Don't click on links to anyone who is tabbed a Patriots Hater - it only fuels the reason they do it.  If you are a journalist, your goal is to gain exposure with your commentary.  Doesn't matter if you divide or offend people, the most clicks he gets the more it reiforces the practice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

This is why I hate $eymour.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

The trade has already been accepted by the league. The Raiders agreed and so did the Patriots. If Seymour doesn't want to go, it has nothing to do with the Pats. He didn't have a player trade clause in his contract so he can only blame himself for his misfortune. We get the 1st round pick and the Raiders get an unhappy Seymour. If it has to be reviewed by the league they will rule in favor of the Patriots because Seymour has no leverage. Thanks Al, good luck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE] Florio actually pointed out during "Videogate" that the Pats hadn't broken any rule, since the rule ESPN and the like referred to was geared towards MEDIA not teams.  (The Pats were fined for defying the commissioner).[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link that you can post to that article?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]     Isn't it funny how the Indianapolis Colts get praised, for the very things that BB and the Pats' get villified for: http://www.indystar.com/article/20090908/SPORTS15/909080344/1004/SPORTS/Colts+keep+sentimentality+out+of+equation      When both Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi retired, and Vrabbel and Seymour were traded, the Pats were criticised for not rewarding loyalty...and for being so bottom line/business-like. Where were the media outcries when the Colts jettisoned Marvin Harrison, Brandon Stokely, Dominik Rhodes, and Edgerrin James? 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    Phauck the Colts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The trade has already been accepted by the league. The Raiders agreed and so did the Patriots. If Seymour doesn't want to go, it has nothing to do with the Pats. He didn't have a player trade clause in his contract so he can only blame himself for his misfortune. We get the 1st round pick and the Raiders get an unhappy Seymour. If it has to be reviewed by the league they will rule in favor of the Patriots because Seymour has no leverage. Thanks Al, good luck.
    Posted by Irkillendem[/QUOTE]

You may be right on the money, Irk: http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-England-Patriots-Examiner~y2009m9d9-Does-Richard-Seymour-have-to-report-to-the-Oakland-Raiders-for-the-trade-to-be-official

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

[QUOTE]No one is against the Patriots. Seymour will be in practice on tuesday.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Wrong on both counts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NY Media Working to Nullify Seymour Trade :      You may be right on the money, Irk: http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-England-Patriots-Examiner~y2009m9d9-Does-Richard-Seymour-have-to-report-to-the-Oakland-Raiders-for-the-trade-to-be-official

It is rumored that Seymour and Oakland are working on a long term deal....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The media is apparently bracing itself for the endgame to the Seymour situation...saying that if Seymour doesn't report, that the Raiders should be returned their 2011 #1 draft choice: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/if-seymour-doesnt-report-raiders-will-want-their-pick-back/

But, should this be the Patriots' problem? After all, the trade has already been approved by the league. Whats' different from this and the Jake Plummer trade to Tampa Bay...where Jake didn't report?: http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/2881 

If the league sides with the Raiders and the media and gives Oakland the pick back, isn't the league in fact giving every NFL player the right to veto any trade he's not happy with, by simply not showing up? Aren't they in fact giving players a defacto no-trade clause in their contracts?   

Watch for the media to lobby "Jets" Goodell to "do the right thing"...and return the draft choice to Oakland. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

TP - very interesting thing going on here, and I think you have a good point. 

There do,however appear to be differences.  TB accepted the trade knowing Plummers stated intent to retire.  The TB compensation was conditional based on Plummer's decision. 

Neither of these things (as far as I know) are a part of the Seymour deal. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Do I have this right? When Seymour wants more money, he decides football is a business . . . but when the team decides football is a business, Seymour is "angry." F*ck him.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Granted, he is only one player, but how many games were influenced by his absence when he "held out" for business reasons and then turns around and he is angry at the Pats??!!  The checks were still cashed, weren't they, regardless of the stuff he pulled!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nausetwaves. Show nausetwaves's posts

According to Michael Lombardi of nationalfootballpost.com (as heard on 98.5 today), the papers are in and the trade is complete.  Unless Seymour fails a physical, he is a Raider.  If he fails the physical, the trade is nullified and he comes back to the Pats.  He can retire but risks the possiblity of being sued for his signing bonus (a la Jake Plummer... who lost in court).  Lombardi didn't specify which team would have the burden of taking him to court, but unless he is injured, his other options are to report or sit out.  If he sits out, the Raiders can put him on the "did not report" list and he loses money.  If he sits out the season, he loses this year toward free agency.

Because of the CBA, this is an issue between Seymour and the Raiders and the Raiders have the upper hand financially here.  If Goodell were to circumvent the CBA, it opens up a huge can of worms for any team trying to trade a player.  I doubt that the owners would allow that.

Also, Adam Schefter has proposed a scenario (don't know if this is only speculation) where the Raiders offer Seymour to Carolina for Peppers because the Panthers are sick of Peppers' demands while Seymour has his summer residence in relative proximity to Charlotte.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]According to Michael Lombardi of nationalfootballpost.com (as heard on 98.5 today), the papers are in and the trade is complete.  Unless Seymour fails a physical, he is a Raider.  If he fails the physical, the trade is nullified and he comes back to the Pats.  He can retire but risks the possiblity of being sued for his signing bonus (a la Jake Plummer... who lost in court).  Lombardi didn't specify which team would have the burden of taking him to court, but unless he is injured, his other options are to report or sit out.  If he sits out, the Raiders can put him on the "did not report" list and he loses money.  If he sits out the season, he loses this year toward free agency. Because of the CBA, this is an issue between Seymour and the Raiders and the Raiders have the upper hand financially here.

RESPONSE: I agree that this is what should happen. But, the media is sure to side with the Raiders, and to pressure Goodell to "do the right thing", for the "good of the game". Goodell screwed the Pats once...so, why not twice? 

If Goodell were to circumvent the CBA, it opens up a huge can of worms for any team trying to trade a player.  I doubt that the owners would allow that.

RESPONSE: Agreed...but the owners will probably go along with Goodell, because they don't want the Pats' dynasty to continue.

Also, Adam Schefter has proposed a scenario (don't know if this is only speculation) where the Raiders offer Seymour to Carolina for Peppers because the Panthers are sick of Peppers' demands while Seymour has his summer residence in relative proximity to Charlotte.

RESPONSE: Don't see this happening. Seymour is the guy the Raiders want because he can play inside, as well as outside...and is a force stopping the run. Peppers is pretty much a pure pass-rusher, set to earn $16.7mil. for this season alone. That makes him "radioactive". Besides, why would Peppers be any more thrilled to come to Oakland than Seymour?

Posted by nausetwaves[/QUOTE]

Good find on Lombardi.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' another opinion on the status of Seymour: http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/09/07/why-seymour-will-end-up-a-raider/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nausetwaves. Show nausetwaves's posts

[QUOTE]     Heres' another opinion on the status of Seymour: http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/09/07/why-seymour-will-end-up-a-raider/

Yeah, but that is on the Oakland/Bay Area equivalent of this site.  If there was something that could that easily nullify the trade, wouldn't it have been reported on extensively already?!?!  People may not want this trade to go through, but it was apparently OK'd by the NFL and the paperwork is in.  He is a Raider and is their responsibility.  You cannot compare this to Spygate because if Goodell comes in and takes over, he sets a precedent that would blow up in his face.  He can't step in each time a player pulls this stunt and decide which team HE thinks should get / get stuck with the player in question.  He also cannot always side with the player because that puts all of the power in the players' hands and the owners will not let that happen.

While people usually root for the underdog and against dynaties, that doesn't mean that the underdog is always right.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NY Media Working to Nullify Seymour Trade : Yeah, but that is on the Oakland/Bay Area equivalent of this site.  If there was something that could that easily nullify the trade, wouldn't it have been reported on extensively already?!?!  People may not want this trade to go through, but it was apparently OK'd by the NFL and the paperwork is in.  He is a Raider and is their responsibility.  You cannot compare this to Spygate because if Goodell comes in and takes over, he sets a precedent that would blow up in his face.  He can't step in each time a player pulls this stunt and decide which team HE thinks should get / get stuck with the player in question.  He also cannot always side with the player because that puts all of the power in the players' hands and the owners will not let that happen. While people usually root for the underdog and against dynaties, that doesn't mean that the underdog is always right.
    Posted by nausetwaves[/QUOTE]

Nauset:

You have far more confidence in "Jets" Goodell than I do, my friend. In any event, my guess is this all will be moot. Seymour will be in a Raiders' uniform on Monday night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Though its' beginning to appear that Richard Seymour is the Raiders' problem now, watch out for Roger "Jets" Goodell, egged on by the media, to intercede on behalf of the Raiders. Oakland could will argue that since Seymour didn't report, he can't take a physical...and therefore, they can pull the plug on the trade, and get thier 1st round pick back. 

But, the Pats will likely counter that Seymour reporting was not made a part of the deal...and that he's the Raiders' problem. Accordingly, if he fails to report to Oakland, its' not a deal breaker, and it is incumbent on Oakland, and not the Patriots, to send Seymour his 5 day letter to report...or sit out the season.

The Pats have precedent on their side, via the Jake Plummer case. Jake was traded from Denver to Tampa for an undisclosed draft choice, and didn't report. But, that wasn't a deal breaker. Apparently, the Tampa Bay Bucs knew it...and never pushed the issue with the league.

But, I caution you...don't be surprised if "Jets" Goodell nonetheless rules against the Patriots...even though by doing so could set a precedent whereby any player traded could nullify the deal by simply choosing not to report.

That said, here are thoughts on the Seymour deal from NFL.com's Adam Schefter:

Q: Belichick turns a top-10 pick in 2001 (his first first-round selection for the Patriots) into eight years of Pro Bowl-level defensive end play, three Super Bowl titles and a top-10 pick in 2011. It's almost not fair to the rest of the league. Has there ever been anyone better at this? -- Pete (Garden City, N.Y.)

A:
    Nobody in my mind, Pete. Belichick is the master at manipulating the draft, at thinking ahead, at running his team the exact way every fan would want his team to be run. Tell me any fan of any team hasn't said, "Why can't my team do that?" Richard Seymour goes to five Pro Bowls and helps the Pats win three Super Bowls, and then, just before he turns 30 years old, Belichick trades Seymour to the Raiders for a potential top-10 pick and a player who can prolong the Patriots' success. Brilliant; that's all I can say. Brilliant.

Q: Hey Adam, I interpreted your placing of the "Pats see 2011 lockout" comment as being relevant because if there's a lockout, (1) The Pats would be without Seymour for only one season (albeit two years) before seeing the fruits of the compensation for him; and (2) The Raiders will stink this year, and their 2010 draft position will carry over to 2011 if there's a lockout. Have I interpreted that correctly? -- Ryan (Miami)  

A:
    Not really, Ryan. The way I meant it was that, with financial uncertainty coming in 2011, the Patriots would prefer not to redo some monster contract now, pay out all that bonus money and not see football in 2011. New England was staring straight at the prospect of having Seymour and Vince Wilfork as free agents. It was going to be tough to keep both. So the Patriots traded one and held on to the other, and now, dealing with the financial uncertainty of 2011 is a little less expensive. Plus, in 2011, there may be a rookie wage scale, something NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wanted. If that's the case, the Patriots received a potential top pick without having to pay it some of these crazy salaries these other top picks have gotten.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

Not sure if this has been brought up, it probably has, but I'll mention it anyway. The Jake plummer situation a few years back, in which he was traded, then  retired. Denver got to keep thier draft pick, and TB was awarded the salary cap relief. So there is precidence for this.

My guess is the pats get to keep the pick no matter waht happens moving forward, and only the raiders will be effected by whatever seymore decides to do.

Sections
Shortcuts