nytimes: pats preview

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

nytimes: pats preview

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/2011-new-england-patriots-preview/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Re: nytimes: pats preview

i guess they dont buy into the rex hype...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

- thanks for the post dog.

A very flattering review of the Pats.  Couldn't resist what they had to say about the Jets.  They had questions about the team.  Lack of depth is a concern.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Money12. Show J-Money12's posts

Hmm, very good read! Thanks for posting that

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Interesting read.  It's nice to hear what other media members think about the Pats' roster and their ability to team build.  But the last paragreaph is true -- they need to turn all of this into a team that can succeed in the playoffs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

wow a NY times being that overly kool-aid to the Pats?

Though I think they went a little overboard with the flattery I question why they don't like Vollmer? He was pro-bowl caliber and if he played LT instead of RT I think he might have gotten in and they call him just a solid player?

Other then that maybe they are trying to get in BB's head by making an overly Pats article?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

So other QBs just throw into a window and count on their receiver to adjust to the ball?  Only Brady (or a few others?) react to their receivers' adjustments?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: nytimes: pats preview:
    [QUOTE]wow a NY times being that overly kool-aid to the Pats? Though I think they went a little overboard with the flattery I question why they don't like Vollmer? He was pro-bowl caliber and if he played LT instead of RT I think he might have gotten in and they call him just a solid player? Other then that maybe they are trying to get in BB's head by making an overly Pats article?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I don't think these kinds of things get in BB's head. As we know, he is not one to rest on his laurels. He is constantly looking to improve. So, whether it's sexy Rexy spouting off, or the NYT lauding the Pats, BB will be business as usual.

I thought it was a fair representation of the Pats. A few things need correction like Vollmer and Bodden as Russ pointed out, but overall, a fairly factual piece.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

McCheaters....."I hate the New York Times....I only read the New York Daily News!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Only real issue I had was with the characterization of Vollmer.  Otherwise I think that's a pretty fair (albeit a bit flattering) assessment of the Pats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting read.  It's nice to hear what other media members think about the Pats' roster and their ability to team build.  But the last paragreaph is true -- they need to turn all of this into a team that can succeed in the playoffs. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Exactly my friend, I have been calling the Pats "The NFL's version of the Dallas Mavericks" for the past 5 years....I cant really do that anymore w/the Mavs finally following up a great regular season with a championship. Now its the Pats turn. I think this is why BB is adding so many big name vets. We lack playmakers when it counts i.e. in the playoffs....This could be the year!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The same templated review of the NY Jets had this to say about Mr Sanchez:

Offense

Mark Sanchez is fortunate to play in an offense that has a stellar line and can run the ball, and to play for a coaching staff that understands how to aid his development by manufacturing easy successes for him. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer does a marvelous job with run-pass mixture in play calls and with designed quick throws that make Sanchez comfortable and take advantage of his greatest strength (accuracy between the numbers). Over all, it has been a successful first two years for the fifth pick in the ’09 draft.

If that success is to continue, Sanchez must make a big leap. He’s still not a natural progression passer. His pocket mobility remains poor. Athletically, he is good at “buying time” under pressure, but there’s a difference between “buying time” and “buying time to throw.” Elite quarterbacks buy time by sliding and stepping up in the pocket, all the while maintaining their readiness to fire in a split second. In other words, elite quarterbacks buy time to throw. Sanchez, like most young quarterbacks, buys time by looking at the pass-rushers, tucking the ball and eluding them. By doing this,  he’s not a threat to throw. A quarterback who’s not a threat to throw is not much of a threat at all.

Sanchez must correct this if he’s ever to become a consistent progression passer. Because he’s so good when it comes to quick-plant-and-throw, and because he has just so-so arm strength, the Jets’ passing attack will always revolve  predominantly around underneath routes. But a progression passer at least presents the vital option of going over the top.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/2011-jets-season-preview/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]wow a NY times being that overly kool-aid to the Pats? Though I think they went a little overboard with the flattery I question why they don't like Vollmer? He was pro-bowl caliber and if he played LT instead of RT I think he might have gotten in and they call him just a solid player? Other then that maybe they are trying to get in BB's head by making an overly Pats article?

The NYTIMES is always very respectful of the PATS, its a far different spots experience than the rags of the Daily News or the NY Post.  I read the Times daily and frankly their sports writers are head and shoulders above the Globe.  Sure they cover the home teams but they also cover the rest of the league.  How else can an average fan know anything real about other teams? I find it typical that some fans here focus only on the negative comments about certain players.  Yes they're wrong but then they don't live here.  They got a great deal more correct than they got wrong and unlike a lot of other New Yorkers and New York based media, they aren't homers, they call it as it is and they make no apologies for their teams when they're bad, which considering the YETS history, means that they've expended a lot of negative ink over the years..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]McCheaters....."I hate the New York Times....I only read the New York Daily News!"
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Which only says that McCheaters can't deal with the truth or reality.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]McCheaters....."I hate the New York Times....I only read the New York Daily News!"
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Haha, perfect!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Thanks for posting this--the whole AFC preview series was excellent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

"That’s what Danny Woodhead is for. If not for having the physical appearance of a busboy, Woodhead’s name would come up in a lot of top 10 running back discussions. Truly. He has incredible lateral agility and quickness, and he’s marvelous in all phases of the passing game"......I don'tget what he is saying here. Is he pulling the "Rudy", "If you had half the heart of Ruttigers' you would've made All-American" card or is he Saying Woodhead should be in the top runningbacks discussion?

Either way, bost statements are a tad extreme. I'll say Rudy, eh, i mean Danny is the best 3rd down back in the game. Who else is close? Sproles? Bush is now a feature back. I do like McCluster in KC too....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"The NYTIMES is always very respectful of the PATS"

Umm are you kidding me?. Bill Rhoden is one of their most senior sportwriters and he bangs on the Patriots constantly, treating Spygate as a taint over everthing the Pats do. 

Here's just one example: 

Excerpts include: 

"The scandal, which came to be called Spygate, put New England and Belichick under a cloud, although by 2007 several teams had begun to suspect the Patriots were taping opponents.

New England lost some of its luster as a first-class organization. While no one doubts Belichick’s coaching genius, he lost a measure of respect for violating the sanctity of sportsmanship and the integrity of competition."

and: 

"New England has not won a championship since the Jets turned in Belichick for cheating. Is this a coincidence? Or in a league in which winning and losing hang by such a slender thread, can the loss of a camera be the difference?"

And since the Times is more respected than the NY tabloids, I'd argue Rhoden has done more damage with his anti-Pats soapbox than the tabloids did. 

So let's not go giving the Times awards for their Pats coverage just yet.        

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

I believe preseason games will show the lack of positional depth on the NY Jets, as it showed in the game with Houston. It is hard to tell by watching just one game but I think they took a modest step backwards having readily available quality players compared to last year. A good portion of their wins last year came late in the fourth quarter or overtime. With lesser quality back-ups they may not win as many closely contested games this year. An any rate ... I do not wish them well. I mean I hope they are healthy but I don't want them to play well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]" The NYTIMES is always very respectful of the PATS" Umm are you kidding me?. Bill Rhoden is one of their most senior sportwriters and he bangs on the Patriots constantly, treating Spygate as a taint over everthing the Pats do.  Here's just one example:  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/sports/football/07rhoden.html Excerpts include:  " The scandal, which came to be called Spygate, put New England and Belichick under a cloud, although by 2007 several teams had begun to suspect the Patriots were taping opponents. New England lost some of its luster as a first-class organization. While no one doubts Belichick’s coaching genius, he lost a measure of respect for violating the sanctity of sportsmanship and the integrity of competition." and:  "New England has not won a championship since the Jets turned in Belichick for cheating. Is this a coincidence? Or in a league in which winning and losing hang by such a slender thread, can the loss of a camera be the difference?" And since the Times is more respected than the NY tabloids, I'd argue Rhoden has done more damage with his anti-Pats soapbox than the tabloids did.  So let's not go giving the Times awards for their Pats coverage just yet.        
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

You pick one article...  I've seen lots of very positive articles about the PATS, what they do and who they are that are pretty much on target and very positive about them as an organization.  The guy you reference is one guy and of course he's the jerk of the staff..  But have it your way. 

Dave Anderson is the guy I like to read on their Sports Page.  Sure beats the hell out of the Greek Chorus we have for Sports Writers.

I pay no attention to any Spy Gate articles because in reality the whole business was a phony set of issues, so I probably did not even bother with his screed on this.  I recommend the same for you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommChairman. Show CommChairman's posts

The NYT has Boston connections through the Globe. The article states what is well known in the NFL: on paper, the Pats have an outstanding system and superior coaching and talent. However, opponents have been able to attack and capitalize on their few weaknesses in the playoffs. It is puzzling how BB has been  outcoached where he used to dominate.  Should he be delegating and trust his assistants more ( a la Weiss/Crennel era)?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: nytimes: pats preview : Exactly my friend, I have been calling the Pats "The NFL's version of the Dallas Mavericks" for the past 5 years....I cant really do that anymore w/the Mavs finally following up a great regular season with a championship. Now its the Pats turn. I think this is why BB is adding so many big name vets. We lack playmakers when it counts i.e. in the playoffs....This could be the year!!
    Posted by Red-Doc-Redemption[/QUOTE]

yep, this as part of the recipe i outlined last year.
    thank goodness only a year late but gives us a chance for 1 or 2 in next 3 yrs

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to nytimes: pats preview:
    [QUOTE]http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/2011-new-england-patriots-preview/
    Posted by dogbones[/QUOTE]

as i have said in the past and recently, where some others have disagreed, he notes simply, chung and arrington do not hold up in man to man. (my words, they cannot cover. tackle yes. cover no).

Sections
Shortcuts