O-Line - anyone concerned?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

O-Line - anyone concerned?

I read everything I can about camp and there is a lot to be excited about - Brandon Lloyd, Dont'a Hightower, Chandler Jones, Ron Brace, etc...

I am concerned about the O-line - it's looking like Koppen can't even hold his own against our D-lineman. Could be the D-line is amazing (which I hope is true), however, I think he may be done.

We desperately need Mankins, Waters and Vollmer back, so Connally can go back to center?

Am I just finding things to worry about?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

Re: O-Line - anyone concerned?

Considering how we have to rely heavier on our running game, and we have a 36 yr old QB at the helm...yeah i'm very scared. But i think everything will be resolved sooner or later during this month

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree. The O LIne has to be healthy. Obviously the Pats have enough skill players at TE and WR to be successful. Would love to see a healthy Mankins (LG) and Vollmer (RT). I expect Waters will show up eventually.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to O-Line - anyone concerned?:
    [QUOTE]I am concerned about the O-line - it's looking like Koppen can't even hold his own against our D-lineman. Could be the D-line is amazing (which I hope is true), however, I think he may be done. We desperately need Mankins, Waters and Vollmer back, so Connally can go back to center? Am I just finding things to worry about?
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

No...you have reason to be concerned. As I have previously pointed out in several previous posts, the OL appears to be a major problem. LT Matt Light has retired. LG Logan Mankins may be out as late as November, recovering from a serious knee injury. Starting RG, Brian Waters, has yet to report, and may still be contemplating retirement. Center Dan Koppen is 33 years old, and may be done. RT Sebastien Vollmer is still having back problems...and his left ankle reportedly has yet to sufficiently heal.

Folks, practically the entire OL is currently a question mark. Job One on this team is to protect 35 year old QB, Tom Brady. If that doesn't happen, Gronk won't Gronkulate, Hernandez won't get to hurt defenses, and Brandon Lloyd won't get to light it up the score board. In addition, a weak OL means that the Pats' young RBs won't have a chance.      

Look for the Pats' to strongly address the OL in next years' draft...especially if Vollmer's back woes continue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Koppen is history.  Thanks, Dan.

Mankins probably will recover.  Probably.  Vollmer might recover.  Might.

Solder will be ok in September but he'll get better.  Cannon will be about half-ok in September but he'll get better by November.  Waters will show up for work in September.  Connolly isn't actually that good but he can hike the ball. 

So the answer is, partly concerned and partly not.  What's on the field today will mostly be backups in a month.  Also, the Patriots defensive front 7 is murder, so don't go by them.  Somebody has to lose the battles. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

What do you think is the backup plan if waters retires for depth?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Worst case scenario, Mankins and Vollmer aren't able to come back close to 100% or at all, and Waters hangs up his spurs.  We would be screwed, and quite possibly everything you saw happen to the defensive secondary last year, you would see play out this year but on the O line.  Maybe Wilfork can play offensive lineman?

So yes, I have to admit I'm concerned. 

However, that's a worse case scenario, and the very unlikely to happen. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We have had one of the best O-lines in football for the better part of the last decade. I wouldn't worry about it. We passed more then ever before last yea and Giselle didn't even have to use shout on Tommys jersey. I haven't read anything negative on Koppen at center and to be honest, he might start at center over Connoly even if every guy is at peak health. Brady just talked about his chemistry with Koppen and how grea it is he's back. Connoly is the perfect 1st guy of the bench or starter for either Mankins and Waters. If Mankins can't play, Waters retires AND Volmer gets worse then yes we have some concerns but we still have talent behind them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was concerned before camp even began and here's why...Waters played great last year, however he is a year older and we brought him to the brink off a Super Bowl title...that's got to be a tough climb to try and do that again (at least at the level he was at last year). Mankin's injury is nothing to dismiss and if you think everything is just going to be business as usual - he had a major injury - even if he's close to 100%, you don't think he'll be worrying about a guy getting blocked into the side of that knee? Light had maybe the best season of his career and he retired. We've never seen Cannon play and Vollmer has a bad back...it's not like we have the luxury of just putting Solder over there anymore. Koppen looked close to done to me BEFORE he broke his leg last year.

We have a great line coach and it's very early, but when you pass as much as we do and your QB means as much as he does...it worries me a bit. I imagine if we walk into the season with these types of problems on the line, we may end up running the ball a whole lot more than we've seen in years (which might be good).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

From Reis
    7. Saw both Logan Mankins and Sebastian Vollmer watching practice Tuesday. Their presence was a reminder that while the offensive line has had some tough stretches early in camp, some reinforcements are in-house. No need to rush them into duty and risk their ability to make it through the 16-game grind

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

O-line is always a concern. No O-line, no offensive attack

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I understand the concerns being expressed and, to a degree share them, but only to a degree.  Solder will be fine at LT and Cannon will be servicable at RT, improving as the season progresses, should Seabass be unable to play.  Don't know if Kopen is done but early reports out of camp are not promising.  Enter Connolly at C.  I'm guessing (and this guess is based on prior behavior) Waters will be joining the team once training camp is done.  Not unheard of for someone of his caliber and experience.  Mankins will be back when he's back. The team is not without some depth and I think it's enough to see the team through until others get healthy.  Finally, I think it's important to recognize that the Pats have one of the best assistant coaches in football coaching the O line in Dante Scarnecchia. 

Concerned?  A little.  Life as we know it ending?  Not quite.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: O-Line - anyone concerned?:
    [QUOTE]We have had one of the best O-lines in football for the better part of the last decade. I wouldn't worry about it. We passed more then ever before last yea and Giselle didn't even have to use shout on Tommys jersey.

RESPONSE: One of the great assets that the Pats have is OL coach, Dante Scarnecchia. He does a great job of coaching up his lineman:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/187972-dante-scarnecchia-the-patriots-secret-weapon-for-success; and
    http://www.patspulpit.com/2012/2/1/2763560/patriots-unsung-heroes-dante-scarnecchia

I haven't read anything negative on Koppen at center and to be honest, he might start at center over Connoly even if every guy is at peak health. Brady just talked about his chemistry with Koppen and how grea it is he's back.

RESPONSE: Here's some negativity on Koppen: 

"In our subjective opinion, Center Dan Koppen has lost his last five one-on-one matchups, some very lopsided. His struggles are becoming predictable and alarming. Koppen hasn’t been able to match the strength of the defensive tackles, and his trademark footwork don’t seem to be as quick. Brandon Deaderick easily went through Koppen in one-on-ones. Would be nice to see Dan Connolly get more reps in the starting spot he earned last season.": http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/08/01/patriots_practice_report/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news 

Connoly is the perfect 1st guy of the bench or starter for either Mankins and Waters. If Mankins can't play, Waters retires AND Volmer gets worse then yes we have some concerns but we still have talent behind them.

RESPONSE: The Pats also have veteran Robert Gallery, who likely will start for the Pats at LG, until Mankins recovers. Marcus Cannon has potential, though he appears to be better suited to play RG, than RT. The Pats recently signed 23 year old free agent OT, Darrion Weems. Perhaps Scarnecchia can spin his magic, and develop Weems into a dependable RT?: http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/2012/07/patriots-sign-darrion-weems.html  
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajaym. Show ajaym's posts

In BB we trust. He will find a way if something goes wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It's great to have Scar coaching players up. It really comes down to depth at OL. Can Gallery cover for Mankins? Who starts at RT if Vollmer is not ready?

I would love it if Waters came back and both Mankins and Vollmer were healthy for a nice SB run.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Vollmer will be back in time to start the season, Mankins will be as well because his recovery is a 6 month time-table like Welker's. 

Mankins tore his ACL in the Baltimore game, finished the game and played in the Superbowl. His tear wasn't as severe as Brady's or Welker's. 

Waters is different, he's just pulling a Brett Farve. Veterans hate training camp, they try to avoid it like the plague. He'll be here for game one. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: O-Line - anyone concerned?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: O-Line - anyone concerned? :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I had not read that about Koppen, that is unfortunate but still early in camp for a guy who just missed a while season. I have read that Thomas has looked very good as well and got the 1st team reps over Gallery yesterday I think?

Regardless, a lot would have to go wrong for this O-line to play bad imo. I am not too worried.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The only time I'm concerned about the o-line is when they play the Giants in the super bowl.

Every member of the starting offensive line for the Super Bowl — left tackle Matt Light (retired), left guard Logan Mankins (knee), center Connolly (unknown), right guard Brian Waters (excused) and right tackle Sebastian Vollmer (back, ankle) — was missing. (yesterday)
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?&articleid=1061150372&format=&page=1&listingType=pats#articleFull

Sections
Shortcuts