O-line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from berg80. Show berg80's posts

O-line

Aside from inexperience on the defense I think this is the weakness of the team. Despite having some past pro-bowl picks the line has been mediocre at best in the run game for a number of years and as was made painfully obvious in the '07 Superbowl (as well as last year when Cassel lead the league in sacks) their pass blocking is awful at times. Maybe a new line coach is in order because theoretically the talent is there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Re: O-line

No, the the problem with the offense is not the coaching (it is, but not the biggest reason), it's the age/talent on the O-line.  Three of our OL starters are 30 yrs old or older, all but three are undersized, finesse type guys (the exceptions being Mankins, LeVoir, & Vollmer - Mankins is the only starter).  Matt Light is a huge liability out there.  He gets beat way too often.

I think that in the past, Belichick opted for O-linemen that were more nimble guys that were adept at moving their hands and feet.  However, the offense was much different then than it is now.  I think the book that is out on the Patriots is that relentless blitzes can stop us.  Fact is, we need more bigger, stronger, mauler types that can hold off wouldbe passrushers. 

The other issue is with coaching.  The constant brain drain has killed us big time.  I know that the media marvels at the extensive Belichick coaching tree.  However, when you keep getting younger and more less experienced guys taking over for coordinators that have been around for years and know the game extensively, you get what we have now... lack of balance throwing/running the ball and scheming. I think that Belichick should now start to consider bring in outside candidates rather than promoting from within, because these 30-something type coordinators are just too inexperienced for my taste.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

berg: You're dead on.  O line is the most over-rated element of the team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

How can the O line be over rated when no one has them rated highly? how can they be over rated when all you do is dogg them? Oh and by the way Cassel led the league in sacks cause he was a back up QB who held teh ball too long and anyone with a brain knows that so tyou cant blame the O line for that. The longer he played the less he got sacked and thats a FACT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

RUN THE BALL!

An offensive line becomes soft and tired pass blocking all day.

Think about it, you spend your whole day, pass blocking, defending against someone running at you full speed. When you run block, you are the attacker; run blocking improves aggression and slows the defenders down.

RUN THE BALL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Even though I've been bashing their 06 and 07 drafts all day, the 09 draft appears solid so far. We have addressed this partially as I think Vollmer will turn out to be a real find. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

In Response to Re: O-line:
    [QUOTE]No, the the problem with the offense is not the coaching (it is, but not the biggest reason), it's the age/talent on the O-line.  Three of our OL starters are 30 yrs old or older, all but three are undersized, finesse type guys (the exceptions being Mankins, LeVoir, & Vollmer - Mankins is the only starter).  Matt Light is a huge liability out there.  He gets beat way too often. I think that in the past, Belichick opted for O-linemen that were more nimble guys that were adept at moving their hands and feet.  However, the offense was much different then than it is now.  I think the book that is out on the Patriots is that relentless blitzes can stop us.  Fact is, we need more bigger, stronger, mauler types that can hold off wouldbe passrushers.  The other issue is with coaching.  The constant brain drain has killed us big time.  I know that the media marvels at the extensive Belichick coaching tree.  However, when you keep getting younger and more less experienced guys taking over for coordinators that have been around for years and know the game extensively, you get what we have now... lack of balance throwing/running the ball and scheming. I think that Belichick should now start to consider bring in outside candidates rather than promoting from within, because these 30-something type coordinators are just too inexperienced for my taste.
    Posted by angel3781[/QUOTE]

Your right on about the O-Line, but I also believe that it is the coaching as well or the lack of it. I believe they have hired from within to continue Charlie Weis's offense here, well it might be time to move on! It's really starting to catch up with them and everybody knows it. Bring Charlie back or move on.

As far as the o-line is concerned they almost moved up in the draft to take Smith, (a monster left tackle) they didn't but they should have. Why??????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bjwilliamsjr. Show bjwilliamsjr's posts

The Pats ran up against a good defense.  The Jets ran up against a good defense as well.  I think what's lost on a lot of people is that the final score was only 9 to 16 and the Patriots were winning at half time in a very hostile environment.
    The Pats seemed to be running a lot of spread offense in the second half. That means the Offensive line doesn't have as many blockers to handle extra pass rushers.  Brady has only played two games full speed in over a year.  It takes time to get acclimated to all of that when recovering from a severe injury.  The world is not ending and Pats fans don't need to panic.  We are one of if not the only organization in the history of the NFL to go 0-2 and still win a Superbowl.  We need to trust the organization and the decision makers within the organization.