O-line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

O-line

yes, brady has been FAR from Brady this year, but this O-line at times is giving him no help. some drives TB has a ton of time to throw and other drives he is on his azz the whole time.

the O-line needs some consistentcy here or Brady will not improve himself. what i dont get is how the guys the caliber of Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Connolly and Vollmer cant do their job. i understand there are injuries but this needs to be fixed

part of this also is McDaniels and TB getting away from the run. They at times become predictable and D-lines will get the green light to send the house.

if the offense is going to improve, it needs to start with the O-line, then TB will have consistent time to throw and HOPEFULLY he can find his accuracy again and we need too run the ball 20+ times a game no doubt. Ridley 13-16 carries Bolden 5-7 for a good change of pace.

just a thought on needs for improvement

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: O-line

/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

yes, brady has been FAR from Brady this year, but this O-line at times is giving him no help. some drives TB has a ton of time to throw and other drives he is on his azz the whole time.

the O-line needs some consistentcy here or Brady will not improve himself. what i dont get is how the guys the caliber of Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Connolly and Vollmer cant do their job. i understand there are injuries but this needs to be fixed

part of this also is McDaniels and TB getting away from the run. They at times become predictable and D-lines will get the green light to send the house.

if the offense is going to improve, it needs to start with the O-line, then TB will have consistent time to throw and HOPEFULLY he can find his accuracy again and we need too run the ball 20+ times a game no doubt. Ridley 13-16 carries Bolden 5-7 for a good change of pace.

just a thought

This all stems from the receivers.

Do you think they got pathetic over night too?

Brady has always been the fastest at getting rid of the ball.

When a QB goes through his progressions and releases the ball, he already knows where his receivers will be, if they are running their route correctly. The ball should be in the air and thrown to point A with the expectation of the receiver being there.  The receivers are not there due to inexperience and probably thinking too much instead of reacting, causing timing issues and ultimately, in-completions.  He's probably making sure they are even running the called route before he throws.  NOT GOOD  He should be worrying about the defense, not his receivers.

Even if this is a half of second, he is a half a second closer to being sacked or hit

27 sacks and 34 hits, in 7 games, says so.  At this rate it will be 60/75. pfft

This will not extend his career.  Might not even make it out of this year alive

The hesitation is not having confidence that they will be THERE.  Hesitations take time.  Hesitations also mean harder and less accurate throws to make up for lost time. 

The quick release is gone. The line has to hold longer.  TB is getting killed.

I can't explain the short sacks with the defenders rushing right through the line but perhaps it's because they are playing back on their heels

As far as creating holes for the backs.  They were always aided by good TE's.  You saw the decline after Gronk went down, especially in the post season.

This could get better with Gronk back, if he decides to use both hands again.

In other words:

IT'S BB'S FAULT!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

just a thought

[/QUOTE]

This all stems from the receivers.

Do you think they got pathetic over night too?

Brady has always been the fastest at getting rid of the ball.

When a QB goes through his progressions and releases the ball, he already knows where his receivers will be, if they are running their route correctly. The ball should be in the air and thrown to point A with the expectation of the receiver being there.  The receivers are not there due to inexperience and probably thinking too much instead of reacting, causing timing issues and ultimately, in-completions.  He's probably making sure they are even running the called route before he throws.  NOT GOOD  He should be worrying about the defense, not his receivers.

Even if this is a half of second, he is a half a second closer to being sacked or hit

This will not extend his career.  Might not even make it out of this year alive

The hesitation is not having confidence that they will be THERE.  Hesitations take time.  Hesitations also mean harder and less accurate throws to make up for lost time. 

The quick release is gone. The line has to hold longer.  TB is getting killed.

I can't explain the short sacks with the defenders rushing right through the line but perhaps it's because they are playing back on their heels

As far as creating holes for the backs.  They were always aided by good TE's.  You saw the decline after Gronk went down, especially in the post season.

This could get better with Gronk back, if he decides to use both hands again.

In other words:

IT'S BB'S FAULT!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

i forgot to add that to my thing. i think its a group effort. the WR suck at times and the o-line at others while TB has been off on throws where he has had time. obviously this all stems from the new WR core and the inexperience and lack of chemistry b/w them. just hopefully Amendola can stay healthy so he can benefit from Gronk's return

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I haven't had a chance to watch the film yet, but it seems to me Solder is getting beat a lot this year.  There also seem to be a number of breakdowns in the interior line, particularly with Wendell. If Brady and his receivers are not on the same page or receivers aren't getting open, Brady will hold the ball longer, but I think there are some line failures too.  Again, though, I need to watch the film to be sure and I haven't done that yet. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I haven't had a chance to watch the film yet, but it seems to me Solder is getting beat a lot this year.  There also seem to be a number of breakdowns in the interior line, particularly with Wendell. If Brady and his receivers are not on the same page or receivers aren't getting open, Brady will hold the ball longer, but I think there are some line failures too.  Again, though, I need to watch the film to be sure and I haven't done that yet. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Solder for the most part  has been solid this year. He was pretty bad sunday against the Jet's. I think you are onto something regarding the inetrior guys especially wendell. Wendell looks as though he is being overpowered which has been causing brady off his spot and seems to throw the timing of a lot of plays off. As a group they need to get much better in pass protection.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Solder for the most part  has been solid this year. He was pretty bad sunday against the Jet's. I think you are onto something regarding the inetrior guys especially wendell. Wendell looks as though he is being overpowered which has been causing brady off his spot and seems to throw the timing of a lot of plays off. As a group they need to get much better in pass protection.

[/QUOTE]

I think Solder is generally a very good tackle.  He still is relatively new in a position that takes some learning since there are so many good pass rushers, with so many different techniques in the NFL. I'm assuming he is just ocassionally getting surprised by something he hasn't seen before.  But hopefully some time with film will clarify what's happening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It's NOT THE OLINE!

My god. When all the offense wants to do is pass, pass, pass, the DLineman pin there ears back and go, making the job harder. On top of that, making your OLineman CONSTANTLY playing on their heels is exhausting for them.

And finally...

The complete lack of committment to any run game allows the DLine to set the tone by virtue of absentia! LET THESE PIGS GO HIT SOMEONE FOR A WHILE!

The Oline has NOT been a problem. Totally innefectice, uninventive, predictable playcalling is the problem.

Why would an opposing D commit to stopping the run? They wouldn't. If the Pats actually started RUNNING the ball, that would change.

ALso, Brady isn't even good this year, so why worry about committing 7 guys to coverage? BRING MORE!

The cure to BOTH of those is RUNNING THE BALL! It's SO FKING OBVIOUS!

4th quarter and OT last game: 22 PASSES and 4 RUNS! NYJ had the ball for 46....FORTY-SIX MINUTES!

Problems:

1) McDaniels

2) Brady

3) New receivers

4) Something I'm surely forgetting

5) Still not the OLine

6) Poor stadium acoustics

7) Somewhere down here or lower, OLine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

It starts up front.  OL needs to play better down the stretch.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/10/fixing_patriots_offensive_woes_starts_up_front

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's NOT THE OLINE!

My god. When all the offense wants to do is pass, pass, pass, the DLineman pin there ears back and go, making the job harder. On top of that, making your OLineman CONSTANTLY playing on their heels is exhausting for them.

And finally...

The complete lack of committment to any run game allows the DLine to set the tone by virtue of absentia! LET THESE PIGS GO HIT SOMEONE FOR A WHILE!

The Oline has NOT been a problem. Totally innefectice, uninventive, predictable playcalling is the problem.

Why would an opposing D commit to stopping the run? They wouldn't. If the Pats actually started RUNNING the ball, that would change.

ALso, Brady isn't even good this year, so why worry about committing 7 guys to coverage? BRING MORE!

4th quarter and OT last game: 22 PASSES and 4 RUNS! NYJ had the ball for 46....FORTY-SIX MINUTES!

Problems:

1) McDaniels

2) Brady

3) New receivers

5) Still not the OLine

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the O Line is the least of our worries...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's NOT THE OLINE!

And finally...

Problems:

1) McDaniels

2) Brady

3) New receivers

5) Still not the OLine

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

dont agree. I am not concerned even 1% about Brady. Dont look at the numbers, ie drops, and the improperly run routes, and it is evident Dobson and Thompkins are making strides. Certainly not to where we all want it to be, but much better than preseason, and much better than games 1 thru 3.  Amendola, Gronk and Vareen getting healthy, joining Edelman make this group very formidable late season. The key to the playoffs will be the health of Gronk, Amendola and Vareen.  

I do have concerns regarding the Oline. Throwing so much has nothing to do with the problem as m6dragon seems to think. This team threw the ball for the past 5 years, and the Oline was great. I simply think we are seeing some regression with Wendell and Connolly, and Cannon and Svitek not being healthy enough to step up. Every player, and position group will have a bad series, half or game. Solder has, and Mankins has. But my concerns are focused on Connolly and Wendell, they both have had poor SEASONS, mechanically, mentally and physically. They both have graded out poorly using PFF's grading statistics.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

If I had to guess, I would say Brady has already taken a season worth a hits in these 7 weeks. This line, no matter how talented always prided itself on NOT ALLOWING FREE RUSHERS. Thats almost as bad as fumbling for BB. It has happened numerous times this year. I recall one time where Brady didnt even call out the blitzer staring him right in the face. Was he confused or did the Line not get the call?? IDk, but I cant recall ever being able to point to so many gaffes.

Off my head, I remember when Cannon went in due to injury and on his first snap he blocked NOONE and let a guy right by him to sack Brady. Brady had identified the blitzer properly to no avail. I recall Solder trying to block and help Logan(WHY) and not get back in time to block his own assignment and allow sack. Ive seen guys like Wendell just get completely BEAT at the snap with a rip move and get immediately in the backfield.

These kind of things used to happen a couple times a year and its happening now a few times a game. Vollmer and Logan have been ok, but the rest have really stunk it up. BUT< its easier to just say Brady S*x! Amazing how people expect the guy to perform the same way after taking hit after hit.

Weve been a passing team for years and now all of a sudden, they arent expected to perform? Yea Brady hasnt been getting the ball out as quick as guys struggle to uncover, causing some sacks, but far too many sacks have been run aways. Those are not Good! Those are BAD plays by the line. Sure they like to run block, but they are coached very well to pass block. Theyve been part of the over all problem.

1) NO Familiar weaponry

2.) Poor O-line play

3.) lack of legit WRs who can consitently catch the ball(lead the league in drops)

4.) Incompetent Play calling and unbalance making # 2 more likely

5.) Not being used to the speed of all the new players, trying to gauge speed and throw in tight windows while fearing for your life will cause you to be innacurate.

Its little things that dont happen that cause BIG problems for offense. It seems fans dont realize how precise everything has to be. We probably also have the hardest offense to play in. Add it all up!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's NOT THE OLINE!

And finally...

Problems:

1) McDaniels

2) Brady

3) New receivers

5) Still not the OLine

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dude, are you serious??  Im gonna let you think that over...maybe edit it out later. Least of our worries!??!you watch the game drunk like rusty and assume Brady is S*cking..No, I know you are smarter than that. If you understand D-line play and its importance, how can you not understand the O-line allowing free rushers being a bad thing?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Triple it's funny how you disappear in the middle of a 4-0 win streak and only reappear when the team loses a game or two due to injury...

I won't argue the X's and O's of football with you because you're clueless.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's NOT THE OLINE!

And finally...

Problems:

1) McDaniels

2) Brady

3) New receivers

5) Still not the OLine

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I usually agree with you. I only agree herre in some part becuase the O line is not the #1 or #2 worry.

BUT ... yes the interior has had breakdowns too frequently - Wendell also being a goat at times... and even Mankins had made some bad plays. ANd yes SOlder has had some very disasterous plays.  The onloine is generally good. But there have been too many breakdowns to let them off the hook. Surely you must see that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

season: 27 sacks, 72 hits

1st 7:  14 sacks, 31 hits

hits are pretty much on pace to be equal to 2012, but number of sacks has doubled so far.  But what can you make of it?  Is it because the play calling is too predicitable, and D's are teeing off?  is Brady holding the ball longer (and does that mean he's having problems with reads, or the receivers can't get open, or D's have good coverage?)? Is it that the Oline is bad this year?

I doubt there is just one thing you can point to.  Seems to me it's a blend of all these things, pointing to the entire O just not playing well.  It isn't one guy, or one part of the O.  The entire thing is out of whack right now, from the gameplan and playcalling to the execution.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yes, I believe there are problems with th O-line but there are several bigger problems that need fixed before we get to the oline.  We see times where the oline gives TFB plenty of time but nobody can get open.  Then there are times where the oline looks like the oline from the 2007 SB.

It all started with the draft and Free Agency.  THe team didn't get anyone new that would be an impact player(s) for this team, or help this team get to the next level, and they let some get away that would have helped this team this season.

TFB doesn't have much to throw to and this causes problems all accross the board for the offense.  The runnning games is affected by not having good receivers.

Would have liked to see a featured back here, one that they would use week after week and build a legit run game around.  The running back merry-go-round just causes problems.

The offense just doesn"t seem to have any direction.  I know this is partly due to the lack of expereinced receivers and the running back situation but Josh McD has to get creative here.  I'm now wondering if  he is the right guy for the OC job.  Starting to think no.

I would put these things ahead of the Oline problems.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hits are pretty much on pace to be equal to 2012, but number of sacks has doubled so far.  But what can you make of it?  Is it because the play calling is too predicitable, and D's are teeing off?  is Brady holding the ball longer (and does that mean he's having problems with reads, or the receivers can't get open, or D's have good coverage?)? Is it that the Oline is bad this year?

I doubt there is just one thing you can point to.  Seems to me it's a blend of all these things, pointing to the entire O just not playing well.  It isn't one guy, or one part of the O.  The entire thing is out of whack right now, from the gameplan and playcalling to the execution.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Thats all im saying. They are collectively bad. The thing is, the O coordinators job it to atleast call plays that can be executed. With the way the passing game has struggled, and the backs we have, why do they make Brady try to win with his arm and throw the ball so much and dont tell me brady is calling his own number and likes getting killed back there. BB makes the call on how the offense runs. Slow, Tempo, run and pass. Joshy then decides WHICH passes, runs,etc. Weve all seen with BB was on the sidelines in 09'. Most of the time he was yelling to O'bie to "throw it, Billy, Throw it"  "Tempo", "Keep pressing them" All these terms means, Sling It Brady!  Duh. Somehow the resident troll has convinced fans that Brady has ruined everything all on his own.....smh

BB likes to ride the hot hand. The problem is defenses arent dumb. They go in at halftime and see 22 passes and 8 runs and they adjust and Joshy comes out in 2nf half with Brady in the no huddle. Plays right into defenses hands. This has played out atleast 3 times this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheTinMan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Thats all im saying. They are collectively bad. The thing is, the O coordinators job it to atleast call plays that can be executed. With the way the passing game has struggled, and the backs we have, why do they make Brady try to win with his arm and throw the ball so much and dont tell me brady is calling his own number and likes getting killed back there. BB makes the call on how the offense runs. Slow, Tempo, run and pass. Joshy then decides WHICH passes, runs,etc. Weve all seen with BB was on the sidelines in 09'. Most of the time he was yelling to O'bie to "throw it, Billy, Throw it"  "Tempo", "Keep pressing them" All these terms means, Sling It Brady!  Duh. Somehow the resident troll has convinced fans that Brady has ruined everything all on his own.....smh

BB likes to ride the hot hand. The problem is defenses arent dumb. They go in at halftime and see 22 passes and 8 runs and they adjust and Joshy comes out in 2nf half with Brady in the no huddle. Plays right into defenses hands. This has played out atleast 3 times this year.

[/QUOTE]
    In the jet game - the offense only had the ball twice until about 5 1/2 minutes left in the half. I don't know what the thinking was in the 3rd qtr - probably the worst Pats qtr in about 5 yrs.

I am a little concerned with Wendell. He is smallish and his snaps are almost always low-

I don't know if Wendell teamed with Connoly at rg is consistent enough??? I think I would rather see Connoly at center with Cannon at RG . I think?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

with the people here saying the O-line is least of our worries behind TB & WRs i agree. i was jsut pointing out that with this group of guys we have at O-line i expect better protection consistently.

it all starts with brady having time to throw then the kinks in chemistry b/w brady & wrs

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Patriots offensive line secondary uniform:

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In the past 3 weeks Brady has been sacked 13 times and has attempted 127 passes.  That is 1 sack per 9.77 passes attempted.

In 2011 games 5-7,  Brady was sacked 10 times and attempted 109 passes.  That is one sack per 10.9 passes attempted.

In 2010 games 4-6, Brady was sacked 10 times and attempted 100 passes.  That is 1 sack per 10 passes attempted.

The point here is that the offensive line has had some hiccups the past couple of years as well.  This is a bad one, but it is still far too small of a sample to worry about just yet.  In the first 4 games this season the line gave up 7 sacks in 158 pass attempts.  That is 1 sack per 22.57 pass attempts which is superior to the rates they gave up in the 2011 and 2010 seasons and 2 of those games were against teams that are in the top 5 in the NFL in sacks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh look.  Someone is making shyte up again.  Brady has not been sacked 27 times this year.

Did you know that after 3 games in 2011 Brady was on pace to throw 27 picks.  Of course you did because you (correctly) blasted Rusty for using such a ridiculous tactic (as did I so please spare me from the ridiculous claims that I am Rusty), yet you are doing the exact same thing with the offensive line.  You have no problem doing all of the things you whine about with Rusty when it suits your Belichick bashing agenda.  You are two sides of the same coin.  LMAO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the past 3 weeks Brady has been sacked 13 times and has attempted 127 passes.  That is 1 sack per 9.77 passes attempted.

In 2011 games 5-7,  Brady was sacked 10 times and attempted 109 passes.  That is one sack per 10.9 passes attempted.

In 2010 games 4-6, Brady was sacked 10 times and attempted 100 passes.  That is 1 sack per 10 passes attempted.

The point here is that the offensive line has had some hiccups the past couple of years as well.  This is a bad one, but it is still far too small of a sample to worry about just yet.  In the first 4 games this season the line gave up 7 sacks in 158 pass attempts.  That is 1 sack per 22.57 pass attempts which is superior to the rates they gave up in the 2011 and 2010 seasons and 2 of those games were against teams that are in the top 5 in the NFL in sacks.

[/QUOTE]

To piggy back on this...

The 1st 7 weeks of the 2001 superbowl winning season the Oline that year let up 20 sacks.

Through the 1st 7 weeks of 2013 the oline has let up the exact same. 20 sacks.

...you do know you are not suppose to bring any real rational to discussions don't you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To piggy back on this...

The 1st 7 weeks of the 2001 superbowl winning season the Oline that year let up 20 sacks.

** edit, this is with Brady as the starter, not the very first 7 **

Through the 1st 7 weeks of 2013 the oline has let up the exact same. 20 sacks.

...you do know you are not suppose to bring any real rational to discussions don't you?

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts