O Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

O Line

Not many threads on this topic so I figured I would give them some attention. This years team seems to be a pretty talented one on D and pretty much the same on O. We all saw the line struggle last year to keep Brady upright. Not sure if it was all on them or part of it was Brady holding the ball waiting for guys to uncover.

All in all, most agreed we could upgrade a couple spots. It seems as though Cannon played left and right tackle most of OTAs and is now getting most his reps at guard(I prefer him at guard). We have the book ends, Solder and Vollmer who are locks at Tackle barring injury. BB likes to use lineman at different spots in camp to create flexibility but so far Kline has been used as a "swing lineman" so to speak. He has the been the 1st guy off the bench most of camp so far and has played All along the line. To me, this indicates we are probably carrying one less lineman on active roster and the backups will need to be able to play more than one position

I like the Idea of Stork eventually overtaking wendell. Ideally, I would like to see Solder, Mankins, Stork, Cannon, Vollmer with Kline and Connolly providing relief along w/Fleming, Cave. With Stork and Cannon in the lineup, this makes us bigger and should open up more holes in run game. Stork at 6'4" would be the biggest C in BBs tenure. Koppen as small as he was, had great technique and leverage to seal guys off. Wendell shows flashes but is mostly overwhelmed by bigger tackles.

I think the Pats will try to stick with 9 lineman.

Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, Vollmer....    Stork, Kline, Fleming, Halapio.

I could see Wendell getting cut as Connolly can play C and Stork is the future. Cannon can backup either tackle spot but not if he is starting at guard which I presume is the case down the line. Then you would have Kline and Connolly to backup the interior positions w/Fleming and also Cannon able to fill in at Tackle. I think B.Cave will be on the p/s and maybe one other lineman. Kline has also been used as the 3rd TE in goal line packages which may mean we only carry two tight ends on game day w/Develin being the emergency guy

So far I have been impressed w/new O line coach. He is a system guy and not just some fill in so he knows what BB wants. Lets hope this group can improve from last season.

Here is current 90 man roster..

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/07/depth_chart_check_re-visiting_the_patriots_90-man.html

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: O Line

Cannon can play either guard or tackle, I think he'll end up starting at guard because he is a mauler and the team wants to retain him which means he wants/needs to be a starter and get paid as such.  After Vollmer went down last season Cannon didn't miss a beat, he is too big to fail and near impossible to block.  This may be the largest most physically imposing O Line that Brady has ever played behind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Cannon can play either guard or tackle, I think he'll end up starting at guard because he is a mauler and the team wants to retain him which means he wants/needs to be a starter and get paid as such.  After Vollmer went down last season Cannon didn't miss a beat, he is too big to fail and near impossible to block.  This may be the largest most physically imposing O Line that Brady has ever played behind.

Agreed. I love Cannon at guard for run blocking and its nice that he can play tackle in a pinch. Havent seen much of Fleming but I will be looking at him Friday during the stadium practice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I would be thrilled if our starting O-Line was Solder, Vollmer, Mankins, Cannon.  Now you just need to find the starting center and among the available choices, we should have one hell of an O-Line.  Last year was a bit of an anomaly due to Brady throwing to mostly rookies.  The timing was off, and as a result he had to hold onto the ball a little longer than he should have.  So they weren't great in protection, but I think they really shined in the run game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I really like how the OL is taking shape. Really, the only downside is paying everyone. 

Have to assume Solder is due a major pay day within the next 2 years. Mankins will still be on the books. Cannon due after this year.

Is the Connolly, Wendell competition to be decided on the field or the checkbook?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I really like how the OL is taking shape. Really, the only downside is paying everyone. 

Have to assume Solder is due a major pay day within the next 2 years. Mankins will still be on the books. Cannon due after this year.

Is the Connolly, Wendell competition to be decided on the field or the checkbook?

With Connolly, Stork and Kline all able to play C. I think Wendell is a goner. Just a matter of when IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

yes i feel better too, I dont think Cannon gets out physicalled at guard, Wendell is just too small. You can get awy with it aginst most teams - but not the best teams

I always wanted Cannon ar RG and Connlly as center, if Stork comes on later in the season that would be the best.

Kline and Connolly would be  pretty good swingman - thats 7 with good flexibility

Iguess i could see only 9 if they stash a couple on the PS

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

Sections
Shortcuts