Oakland Cut Huff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Oakland Cut Huff

Here is another safety to consider.

Is he any good?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

Re: Oakland Cut Huff

Huff is very good.  I think he is the best safety on the market.  He was very good at safety 2 years ago.  Oakland was forced to move him around the past two years.  Last season he played CB because that defense was so atrocious in the passing game.  Huff, when he plays his natural safety position has the speed to cover the field and his ability to play solid coverage from the safety position makes him very attractive.  Consider me someone who does not believe that we need a thumper for a safety.  I think we need two safeties with greater range who can read the plays as they are developing and make plays on the football.  I think having Huff and McCourty would provide some serious range in the middle of our defense, as the league becomes more pass oriented every year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Huff imo is a good sign only if McCourt is back at CB. At S, Huff and McCourt are duplication, with neither offering the ability to cover a TE or step up in the box.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mccourty can play in the box just fine. He might not be a big thumper, but he is a sure tackler . 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Mccourty can play in the box just fine. He might not be a big thumper, but he is a sure tackler . 

is that why the Pats had Gregory and Wilson in the box this past season?

McCouty I agree is a good tackler (in spite of his very public on national TV whiff), but he doesnt cover TE's and he is never playing on the line or blitzing.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Tayvon Wilson eventually will be the in the box safety this year. I know that may not be popular amongst the fan base but you could see how they were using him when Gregory struggled in pass D last year. i am not sure he is the answer but it seems like that is the direction they are heading.

yes, I think you are correct. Did you see the Bedard article as he had it set up like a depth chart, and he had Wilson starting with McCourty as well

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

The fact that Gregory started last year next to McCourty shows that BB doesn't necessarily see the need of having the strong safety.  It has become obvious that to defend passing in this league you need safeties that can cover greater portions of the field and have the ability to cover man to man.  Huff and McCourty would provide this on the field at the same time.  And I would also add that both have the ability to cover tight ends.  If Huff can match up with Roddy White and Julio Jones (as he did last season) he can match up with any tight end in the league.

The way the Patriots linebackers and line are composed right now, they should be able to defend the run with just 7 in the box.  That's the benefit of having Big Vince and big sturdy LB's such as Spikes, Hightower, and Mayo.  They need sure tacklers at safety, which McCourty and Huff are.  They need help covering the pass and Huff would provide that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to paularnold's comment:

The fact that Gregory started last year next to McCourty shows that BB doesn't necessarily see the need of having the strong safety.  It has become obvious that to defend passing in this league you need safeties that can cover greater portions of the field and have the ability to cover man to man.  Huff and McCourty would provide this on the field at the same time.  And I would also add that both have the ability to cover tight ends.  If Huff can match up with Roddy White and Julio Jones (as he did last season) he can match up with any tight end in the league.

The way the Patriots linebackers and line are composed right now, they should be able to defend the run with just 7 in the box.  That's the benefit of having Big Vince and big sturdy LB's such as Spikes, Hightower, and Mayo.  They need sure tacklers at safety, which McCourty and Huff are.  They need help covering the pass and Huff would provide that.

Gregory started out of need. Chung and Wilson werent cutting it. Covering Jones and White is nothing like covering Gronk, Pittman or Graham.

Huff is 6'0" and 206 lbs. I would like to see more size opposite McCourty

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

Two years ago profootballfocus, a website who charts everygame ranked Huff as the #2 safety in the game.  The year after he played quite a bit in the slot and last year he played a lot of outside CB.  He's shown versatility as he's had success wherever he's been asked to play.  I think the fact that he can cover someone who's 6'3 220 and runs a 4.3 40 means that he could cover someone who's 6'6 265 and ran a 4.65 (even though I'm hoping they're on the same team).  Julio Jones can outjump Gronk so the height is less of a factor.  And I'll clue you in on something, there aren't 6'5 safeties in the league.

Sections
Shortcuts