Obama calls Eagles owner to congraulate him for signing Vick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Michael Vick(notes) has been getting support from all sides during his road to redemption. He's now getting it from the leader of the free world.

NBC's Peter King reports that Barack Obama called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie earlier this week to congratulate him for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. According to King, the president said that released prisoners rarely receive a level playing field and that Vick's story could begin to change that.

Forget your political allegiances or feelings about Michael Vick and take a step back to think about this. The sitting president of the United States went out of his way to publicly praise a man who, 3 1/2 years ago, many thought would never play again in the NFL. Even the most ardent believers in Vick couldn't have fathomed a turn-around like this. 

In retrospect it seems obvious that Vick would get a second chance in the NFL, but it wasn't so clear-cut back when he was lying to the commissioner, getting sternly admonished in federal court and serving out a sentence at Leavenworth. We tend to take for granted unbelievable events when they slowly unfold before our eyes. The step-by-step nature of these sorts of tales tend to minimize the shock when taken in over a long process. So though it now seems like it was all pre-destined to work out like this, it wasn't: Vick's rise and fall and rise is a truly stunning tale. He went from star to pariah to inmate to backup to MVP candidate to political prop for the leader of the free world all in a span of a couple years.

[Related: Obama and Kobe Bryant talk trash]

For Obama to praise Vick now shows a number of things, namely that uttering the quarterback's name is thought to be a safe political move. He's playing the best football of his life for a playoff team and was the second-leading vote getter for the Pro Bowl. At the moment, he's the model of redemption, someone worthy of praise.

Because, if you think about it, Vick got that "second chance" from Lurie 16 months ago. There was no phone call from the president then. Praising Vick at that time would have been a political third rail. But now that Vick is playing great and most people seem to have either forgiven him or stopped caring about his transgressions, it's a shrewd political move. After what could be termed a rough two years in office, the president is looking for a second chance from the people who have turned against him over the past two years. Supporting a huge star like Vick could help with the president's recent image problems. It may not register much nationally, but it couldn't hurt in Pennsylvania. After all, it's a swing state and 2012 is just around the corner.

The funniest part is the pic

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Obama calls Eagles owner to congraulate him for signing Vick

I love the posed "football" photo with the family dog chasing Bo around.

How very American.

Have you seen this guy try to throw a baseball?

Foot in mouth

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

shouldnt the president have more important things to do then commenting on vick? at least while he was on the phone he couldnt be throwing away more of our tax dollars

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

who cares, give Vick the MVP. Brady will take the SB MVP, no biggie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

My sister's x-hubby was a cop who got busted for his part in an illegal gambling ring.  He got (9 years) in prison, got out and now is a security guard.  No phone call!!!!
    How rude.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Obama calls Eagles owner to congraulate him for signing Vick:
    [QUOTE]Obama calls Eagles owner to congraulate him for signing Vick By Chris Chase Michael Vick (notes) has been getting support from all sides during his road to redemption. He's now getting it from the leader of the free world. NBC's Peter King reports that Barack Obama called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie earlier this week to congratulate him for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. According to King, the president said that released prisoners rarely receive a level playing field and that Vick's story could begin to change that. Forget your political allegiances or feelings about Michael Vick and take a step back to think about this. The sitting president of the United States went out of his way to publicly praise a man who, 3 1/2 years ago, many thought would never play again in the NFL . Even the most ardent believers in Vick couldn't have fathomed a turn-around like this.  In retrospect it seems obvious that Vick would get a second chance in the NFL, but it wasn't so clear-cut back when he was lying to the commissioner, getting sternly admonished in federal court and serving out a sentence at Leavenworth. We tend to take for granted unbelievable events when they slowly unfold before our eyes. The step-by-step nature of these sorts of tales tend to minimize the shock when taken in over a long process. So though it now seems like it was all pre-destined to work out like this, it wasn't: Vick's rise and fall and rise is a truly stunning tale. He went from star to pariah to inmate to backup to MVP candidate to political prop for the leader of the free world all in a span of a couple years. [ Related: Obama and Kobe Bryant talk trash ] For Obama to praise Vick now shows a number of things, namely that uttering the quarterback's name is thought to be a safe political move. He's playing the best football of his life for a playoff team and was the second-leading vote getter for the Pro Bowl. At the moment, he's the model of redemption, someone worthy of praise. Because, if you think about it, Vick got that "second chance" from Lurie 16 months ago. There was no phone call from the president then. Praising Vick at that time would have been a political third rail. But now that Vick is playing great and most people seem to have either forgiven him or stopped caring about his transgressions, it's a shrewd political move. After what could be termed a rough two years in office, the president is looking for a second chance from the people who have turned against him over the past two years. Supporting a huge star like Vick could help with the president's recent image problems. It may not register much nationally, but it couldn't hurt in Pennsylvania. After all, it's a swing state and 2012 is just around the corner.     The funniest part is the pic
    Posted by patsfaninpa420[/QUOTE]

I said it before: Vick paid his debt to society. He deserved another chance at his trade: playing in the NFL. My only questioins as to his returning to the NFL would be his skill level, after sitting out so long. He's paid his dues and apparently has seen the light. I don't think he'd ever go back to dog fighting, as he knows what he's going to lose: freedom and another bunch of millions in salary. It's a shame to see so many QB-challenged teams succomb to "public pressure" and not go after signing them (the Cardinals, Panthers, Browns, 49ers, Vikings, etc). Wonder if they're still being PC today?

If folks want to boycott the NFL/Eagles/Anything Vick, let them do it. I think they only do that stuff to draw attention to themselves; attention that they would never ordinarilly get on their own for anything they did.

Obamaramadingdong? Can't understand why he feels the need to have to make this call. What other employer of a released/paroled prisoner did he call to congratulate? He still thinks it's all about "him".

Sad.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Re: Obama calls Eagles owner to congraulate him for signing Vick:
    [QUOTE]I love the posed "football" photo with the family dog chasing Bo around. How very American. Have you seen this guy try to throw a baseball?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Yeah, He Throws like a girl.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

In Response to Re: Obama calls Eagles owner to congraulate him for signing Vick:
    [QUOTE]I love the posed "football" photo with the family dog chasing Bo around. How very American. Have you seen this guy try to throw a baseball?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    I don't know about throwing a baseball but I bet you would'nt want to take him on in a game of one on one in hoops!Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Vick's working because he has a much desired talent. There is absolutely no comparison between him and other ex-cons looking for work. Obama is soft in the head for making that comparison.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

AZ you're missing the point. Vick is a major figure head that just happens to be considered to many, in Obama's biggest voting block, as a hero for some odd reason. This is about Obama getting his name into the papers as many times as possible. You ever notice that Obama never turns down, and actually sometimes forces his way into, all opportunities to get his name mentioned in every possible national story line as possible. I wouldn't be surprised to read tomorrow that he called the mayor about the snow storm and said that he'd fly right over and help as much as he can, followed by a pic of him holding a shovel next to a pile of snow on a sunny day as if he was like every other person in Boston shoveling out their car.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Who cares I hate OBAMA AND I HATE VICK  Vick is a CON HE should have never gotten a second Chance in Football THOSE DOGS he killed never got a second chance why should he

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

wow I'm surprised this convo hasn't turned all political, not that it should but it seems almost like a law that any conversation that drops a politicians name usually turns into political banter and blah blah blah generic liberal comment blah blah blah generic conservative comeback.

anyways my point.  This is what politicians do, they do crap like this all the time.  Obama doesn't run the country we have hundreds of other representatives and senators that write and pass law.  Obama is doing what every president has done before him, and will continue to do after him.  Little PR moves for his part....I guarantee you he will call the super bowl winners as well.  The point is america is a land of opportunity, a country where we give people second chances and Atlanta have vick a second chance.  And yes this probably also has to do with as PatsEng pointed out that Vick is in a large voting block of Obama, all politicians appease there voting block...it's what they do. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I understand, it was a nice thing to do. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crlsnjnn. Show crlsnjnn's posts

Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    I didn't even notice the football; I was thinking the photo was featuring the family dog, sort of like saying "Even though I like Michael Vick, I'm an animal lover who wouldn't let Vick electrocute or drown my dog".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]AZ you're missing the point. Vick is a major figure head that just happens to be considered to many, in Obama's biggest voting block, as a hero for some odd reason. This is about Obama getting his name into the papers as many times as possible. You ever notice that Obama never turns down, and actually sometimes forces his way into, all opportunities to get his name mentioned in every possible national story line as possible. I wouldn't be surprised to read tomorrow that he called the mayor about the snow storm and said that he'd fly right over and help as much as he can, followed by a pic of him holding a shovel next to a pile of snow on a sunny day as if he was like every other person in Boston shoveling out their car.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes! I knew if we waited long enough the Race Card would be played.

So, are you telling us that if Vick was white trailer trash (sorry, all you JESTS! fans), and came back as the real Vick did he WOULDN'T have made the call? Are you telling us that he only cares about BLACK ex-cons that blossom back into NFL stars? Or, only black STARS, and not the bench guys coming back from a substance abuse suspension, or a serious injury? How about a holdout like Vincent Jackson? Where's his call? Do you or Big Ears really think that this PR move helps get him re-elected in 2012? It's a stunt and ploy, pure and simple.

As for the snowstorm in Philthy-delphia, I believe HE would say that he's right on it, liekteh GUlof Oil Spill.... from a golf course in Hawaii. The Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Incompitano, would be telling us all that snow plowing in eastern PA should be considered terrorist plots and need to be watched 26/8, and the Dept Of Justice will make it illegal for anymore snow to fall before next December.

Glad to see "race" is alive and well in Washington, DC, as well as in your post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama calls Eagles owner to congraulate him for signing Vick : I didn't even notice the football; I was thinking the photo was featuring the family dog, sort of like saying "Even though I like Michael Vick, I'm an animal lover who wouldn't let Vick electrocute or drown my dog".
    Posted by crlsnjnn[/QUOTE]

ROFL I didn't even think of that. His public rep needs a huge raise. Included in a piece about a "reformed" convict who personally killed dogs by the hundreds a pic so Obama can say everyone deserves a second chance but look I love dogs too and mine isn't shot, electrocuted, beaten to death, or hanging from a tree (all of which Vick did personally). It's the best from all worlds seriously I would love to see what would happen if politicians didn't have special publicity reps to think of all these little details. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LMAO, isn't he a little late? That happened last year. oh wait a minute Osama, I mean Obama is late on everything. Is it 2012 yet?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

AZ way to jump right onto race when I made no comment to the like.

It's a fact that Obama's largest voting block is inner-city voters. If Vick was white but still a large figure in the inner-ciy community I'm sure he'd do the same thing. This has nothing to do with Vick's color other then the fact that most inner-city populations have larger portions of black americans as well as larger crime rates (due to poverty, drugs, and gangs not by race so don't bother trying to bring that up). This means most people can look up to Vick and say well he's the same as me in that inner-city enviroment. Again the only thing that is race related here is that Vick is an inner-city hero and Obama's largest voting block happens to be inner-city nothing more.

Stop looking for racism where it doesn't exist

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Yeaaaaaa he said "block" not "black"....  lol  -  I thought this was a Pats forum. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

when jimmy carter ran for gov of georgia his primary challenger had the black vote sewed up. to appeal to whites he said i'm not going for the "block vote" but he made it sound like black vote. hahaha

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't see any relation to football and redemption.  Redemption for his crimes comes from being a good person, philanthropy, etc.  Playing great football this year does not mean he's changed.  He has played well before, and still been a bad human being. 

I'm glad he got a 2nd chance but I don't understand why people act like he's proven he deserved it.  He hasn't proven anything of substance yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Big surprise one amoral cretin rooting for another amoral cretin. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Thank God for the NFL.  One of the few places where a felons can find employment thanks to parasites like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Racial connotations aside, for Bo to compare Vick's situation with your average convicted felon receiving a level playing field is patently ludicrous. This isn't going to "begin to change" anything. Hell, in today's economic climate, you can't get an interview with a simple misdemenor on your record. As has been previously noted, this is just our fine president getting his own image plastered all over a "feel-good" story for political reasons. I can't say I blame him. This is what elected officials do, but for someone who is known primarily for continuing to campaign long, long, lonnnnnnnnng after the election was over -- and whose singular accomplishment to date has been to alienate his voter base -- you'd think Bo might choose his photo ops a little more carefully.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Wow...This is supposed to be a Patriots forum but for some strange reason Michael Vick (an NFL quarterback playing for a non division and non conference rival) and President Obama are the subject of conversation. "That's interesting" 

All I'm reading is complaints that President Obama called the Eagles owner to congratulate him on the signing of Michael Vick and the fact that he (President Obama) is just trying to keep his name out there in time for the voting...Who cares! So what! This has what to do with the New England Patriots?

I know of another ex-politician/ex-President that specifically stated that he just wants to remain out of the public eye...Yet he writes a book begging everybody that cares (and you know who you are) for forgiveness. Now why is he doing this? Perhaps he is looking to give his party a helping hand. Strange...Nobody starts a forum about that. Then we have another politician/2012 potential Presidential candidate who is keeping her (dead give away) name out there by starring in her (another dead give away) very own reality show...Wow...another reality show...With all the reality shows on T.V do we really need another one? Again nobody starts a forum about that. And lets not forget about another Politician publicly praising the Chargers (Austrian Accent) "Go Chargers Go"

And its not like the President called the media and announced that he was going to make the call to the Eagles owner to congratulate him...Some reporter thought that it was enough of a story to tell all. Again...Who cares!

Sections
Shortcuts