O`Brian: Killing the Offense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: O`Brian: Killing our Offense

In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing our Offense:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing our Offense : Look at the play again. On the first INT, Brady just couldn't find an open man so he just threw the ball down field to Moss, but Cromatie had the position on Moss because it was a straight route and he was out in front. If someone is running a straight route and the DB is out in front you can't throw them the ball. The DB has position. On the second INT, Brady misplaced the pass and threw it where, had Cromatie turned around, he would've picked the ball off. It wasn't in the best position, he misplaced the ball. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Well on one of the 1st few plays of the game Brady hit Moss for a 70 yard bomb that fell right in the bread basket but Moss couldn't secure the catch. You can't hit on every bomb down field but it would be nice if the ones that did hit were in fact caught.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Re: O`Brian: Killing the Offense

I have to sasy I think Tom tried to get to many balls to Moss in the second half trying to get him a big game. Now having said that, I was not on the field surveying it and do not know if Tom had better choices. It just seemed he was trying to get  balls to Randy he had no bussiness attempting. Tom is still the man in my book and I will have to see many more bad days from him before I throw him under the bus!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing our Offense : Was it Brady's fault that BJGE had 10 rushes for 19 yards and Freddy did the same? Brady had trouble getting the Te's/WW the ball because guess what....They weren't open. Jets rushed 4 guys pretty much the whole 2nd half and sat back in coverage. As a team we did not adjust. What happened to in game adjustments? Well when BB is now the active defensive co. he can't be in 2 places at once. He needs coaches who are an extension of himself to help coach each individual of the offense(and defense) on how to adjust to the opposing teams game plan. This is not happening.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

OMG! YOU ARE WRONG! Tate was running wide open down the field on the Pool INT. Moss had already drawn Pool away from the middle of the field, Welker had already drawn Tate's CB, Brady wasn't even under pressure. 

And on the Cromatie INT, GRONK WAS WIDE OPEN IN THE FLAT! The closest DB was 10 yards down the field because Welker drew a quadruple coverage. 

Are we really going to give Brady the Peyton Manning treatment? He played like sh*t and I'll call him out. He's an elite QB, Drew and Peyton wouldn't have played like that. The blame is on Brady, we already knew that the Pats defense wasn't going to be a dominant unit, Brady and the offense had to protect them. Horrible QBing on his department. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from barcolounga. Show barcolounga's posts

In Response to O`Brian: Killing the Offense:
    [QUOTE]i hate to say this, but being an offensive coordinator, which is what he is, may be just a little bit too complex or complicated for jim to handle creatively. you could say that this is becoming something of a pattern with this guy. the 2010 Patriot offense, which consists of what josh macdaniels had in 2007, as well as a whole slew of newer younger threats, ie. edelman, tate, hernandez etc is still doing what it was doing last season....ie. wrecking the teams`s chances by flat, lifeless 2nd half play. i was a bit anxious before yesterday`s game because i knew that Ryan would make some solid adjustments...which he even began before the half was over...and i was afraid that o`brian and belichick wouldn`t answer with any creative adjustments of their own. sorry to say, I WAS RIGHT. as far as i`m concerned, that`s inexcusable. nothing seems to have changed from last season.  they are able to put together one or two excellent, patented, Patriot drives in the 1st half, but are altogether impotent throughout the 2nd half. that never happened when charlie weiss was OC, and rarely did it happen, again, under josh macdaniels. yesterday, heck...even i was calling what plays brady was going to run...even that nice 4th quarter sceenpass, i called..but i also said "too little too late". the time for a few nice screen passes was in the 3rd period...sorry to have to tell you that jim. you don`t need to have a degree in rocket science to figure out this offense. this should be grounds for dismissal, because this offense could be so incredibly EXPLOSIVE that it coulsd possibly top the `07 offense, which means HOF GREAT. but it is all going to waste, and has been going to waste since o`brian replaced macdaniels.  so, forget the great things that hernandez and growkowski, edelman and tate should bring to the table this season..a long as jim o`brian is running that offense, they will sqauandered.... especially in the 2nd half of football games..when it matters most.
    Posted by koft[/QUOTE]Its Bill Obrien and I think more of the blame for this game is on Pretty Boy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing our Offense : you say that the sceen pass 'didn`t work'...why? because it didn`t lead to a TD?[/QUOTE]
    I saw one that was dropped and only one that gained yardage. 

[QUOTE] When a team has this many great weapons that it isn`t using to put points up on the board...then something is wrong. brady should have passed better for sure. but the guy he was looking for wasn`t open...just like the holes the running backs were looking for werent there. where was edelman, tate or gronkowski?
    Posted by koft[/QUOTE]

They didn't execute enough, either, but Brady's bad passes were the killer.  Those guys can certainly execute; they need to do so in scenarios like the Jets game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well, Brady's first INT didn't really hurt the team ... it was a pretty good coffin corner punt.  It was third down anyway so it actually helped us.  The other INT was tipped by Moss so not really Brady's fault either.  If there were other open receivers that could have picked up the first down, that is Brady's fault. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Also wasn't Brady's fault that Matt Light and Dan Connely forgot to block anybody and let Brady get the back breaker fumble. The offense as a whole was broken.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing our Offense : OMG! YOU ARE WRONG! Tate was running wide open down the field on the Pool INT. Moss had already drawn Pool away from the middle of the field, Welker had already drawn Tate's CB, Brady wasn't even under pressure.  And on the Cromatie INT, GRONK WAS WIDE OPEN IN THE FLAT! The closest DB was 10 yards down the field because Welker drew a quadruple coverage.  Are we really going to give Brady the Peyton Manning treatment? He played like sh*t and I'll call him out. He's an elite QB, Drew and Peyton wouldn't have played like that. The blame is on Brady, we already knew that the Pats defense wasn't going to be a dominant unit, Brady and the offense had to protect them. Horrible QBing on his department. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOT

So you are saying it was a bad idea to throw Moss a deep ball in single coverage by Cromartie that if caught would have put up 7 points on the board?

Im not saying Brady played ok in the 2nd half, I am saying that the entire offense did not play well. Particular the 0-line which was beaten several times by a 4 or 5 man rush. Considering we have 5 o-linemen this is unacceptable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The O line looked ok to me other than the one strip sack.  Maybe Brady should have a little more awareness of the rush and not be so quick to fumble when sacked?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

If O'Brian is unable to effectively make adjustments to the Jets D (after their D obviously made adjustments) then you will see plays not executing well.  I'm not really buying this whole "we just aren't executing" in the 2nd half bit.  At least I find it coincidental that at halftime, the other team has made adjustments, and in the 2nd half we don't execute.  Scheme and strategy is very important.  When an opponents scheme changes at halftime it is up to O'Brian to recognize it and counter it.  If he doesn't do that the "symptom" is poor execution.  The "illness" is poor adjustments.  Didn't the Jets players pretty much say we never countered their adjustments?

O'Brian got a pass last year.  We haven't seen enough of this year, but I think that if the offense has the same issues as they did last year, you will not see O'Brian next year.  I don't think BB would do anything drastic in-season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from changes1677. Show changes1677's posts

i agree with obrian i never liked the guys play calling or adjustments to begin with.  Most noticebly in the ravens playoff game. Some of the worse i ever seen.  But its only second game of season.  the jets had their problems the first game and we had ours this game.  Brady missed throws yes.  THe playcalling was pretty bad especially when you keep goin to moss over and over and stop trying to run the ball when your only down by a few points.  Like they immediately went into panic mode with 2 quarters left to play. 

But come on our defense was just as bad and couldnt take a jets offense that i dont think is even that good off the field.  No on is talkin about patricia and his terrible coaching so much for the rocket scientist.  I thought the pats were known for taking a guy and feeding off his stregnths and put him in situations to succeed.  We got guys in there that shouldnt even be playing the amount of downs their playing on D.  We can blame the players and we can destroy butler but honestly how much safety help did u see that game? where was chung flying over to crush edwards when butler was covering him? where was the coverage on keller when everyone knew he would be the one with a huge game? we couldnt stop the jets at all they had huge clock consuming drives and you wonder why are offense was awful in the second half?  They werent even on the field to get in a rhythm.  They would 3 and out and have to wait another 8 min plus to even get back on the field.  So how about we just say the team as a whole just plain sucked this game?  Offense Defense coaching.  all 3.  not just tom and not just butler.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing the Offense:
    [QUOTE]The O line looked ok to me other than the one strip sack.  Maybe Brady should have a little more awareness of the rush and not be so quick to fumble when sacked?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE

You should watch the game again dude.The o-line in the 2nd half was terrible. Volmer whiffed on a rusher who pressured Brady. Our line was pushed back in large part due to play calling considering we weren't running the ball. As in the line dropped back to protect instead of being the aggressor. Not sure how you could conclude that anybody would not fumble when being hit from behind by an untouched rusher within 2 seconds of snapping the ball? You could have a rear view mirror taped to your forehead and still not get rid of the ball in time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]If O'Brian is unable to effectively make adjustments to the Jets D (after their D obviously made adjustments) then you will see plays not executing well.  I'm not really buying this whole "we just aren't executing" in the 2nd half bit.  At least I find it coincidental that at halftime, the other team has made adjustments, and in the 2nd half we don't execute.  Scheme and strategy is very important.  When an opponents scheme changes at halftime it is up to O'Brian to recognize it and counter it.  If he doesn't do that the "symptom" is poor execution.  The "illness" is poor adjustments.  Didn't the Jets players pretty much say we never countered their adjustments? O'Brian got a pass last year.  We haven't seen enough of this year, but I think that if the offense has the same issues as they did last year, you will not see O'Brian next year.  I don't think BB would do anything drastic in-season.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

"As a team we did not adjust. What happened to in game adjustments? Well when BB is now the active defensive co. he can't be in 2 places at once. He needs coaches who are an extension of himself to help coach each individual of the offense(and defense) on how to adjust to the opposing teams game plan. This is not happening."

This was from my post earlier. I agree we with you, the in game adjustments are where we are suffering. The above is why I think that. BB stands alone. Crennel or Weiss would be nice! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Crennel or Weiss would be nice!

So would JM not leaving to coach the Broncos but this is what happens when you have top coordinators and assistants and other teams offer them buckets of money and a chance to shine on their own.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

[QUOTE]Let's take a look at a couple stats: Randy Moss :  TARGETS= 10 , RECEPTIONS= 2 Welker & Hernandez : TARGETS= 13, RECEPTIONS= 12 What would you do if you were the OC? This is not rocket science.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]
    I was going to post this exact thing before I spotted your post. Brady feeding Moss the Ball is the problem. Brady needs to adjust his mentality, he locks on to Moss too much.

O'brien has his hands in this too. He picks plays for Moss that are just completly wrong for the down they were picked to run on. Why bomb it on a 3rd and long? Why bomb it over and over if it isn't working? Its like he is oblivoius to what works and what doesn't.

Mental lapses by Brady and O'brien are getting annoying but sadly we can't do anything about it, we can only hope that they reealize what they are doing wrong and adjust it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

How complicated can it be?

Deep to Moss...

Short to Wes in the slot...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Crennel or Weiss would be nice! So would JM not leaving to coach the Broncos but this is what happens when you have top coordinators and assistants and other teams offer them buckets of money and a chance to shine on their own.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Yep, but I mean last year. I really thought BB would bring in at least one of them. Preferably Weiss considering defense is BB's area of expertise.

I don't understand where people get that Weiss wasn't that good? I

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing the Offense : [QUOTE]The O line looked ok to me other than the one strip sack.  Maybe Brady should have a little more awareness of the rush and not be so quick to fumble when sacked? Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE] You should watch the game again dude.The o-line in the 2nd half was terrible. Volmer whiffed on a rusher who pressured Brady. Our line was pushed back in large part due to play calling considering we weren't running the ball.[/QUOTE]
    There is no such thing as an O-line being pushed back because of playcalling.  It happens when the other team attacks with greater savagery.  EXECUTION.  The O-line had some issues but overall was pretty good in the second half.

[QUOTE]As in the line dropped back to protect instead of being the aggressor. Not sure how you could conclude that anybody would not fumble when being hit from behind by an untouched rusher within 2 seconds of snapping the ball? You could have a rear view mirror taped to your forehead and still not get rid of the ball in time.

That was one play and I do criticize Matt Light for it, but the line by then HAD BECOME THE AGGRESSOR; they were in the Jets redzone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing the Offense : "As a team we did not adjust. What happened to in game adjustments? Well when BB is now the active defensive co. he can't be in 2 places at once. He needs coaches who are an extension of himself to help coach each individual of the offense(and defense) on how to adjust to the opposing teams game plan. This is not happening."[/QUOTE]
    Where is it not happening?  Belichick has plenty of assistant coaches on the sideline to do just that.

[QUOTE]This was from my post earlier. I agree we with you, the in game adjustments are where we are suffering. The above is why I think that. BB stands alone. Crennel or Weiss would be nice! 
    We're suffering ONLY because of EXECUTION.  The Patriots are making adjustments from series to series - where do people keep getting the idea that they're not making adjustments or the playcalling is failing?

Crennel is a buffoon and Charlie Weis is a stupid fat slob - they can't coach and it's showing up especially with Weis and an offense that's incompetent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O`Brian: Killing the Offense : Yep, but I mean last year. I really thought BB would bring in at least one of them. Preferably Weiss considering defense is BB's area of expertise. I don't understand where people get that Weiss wasn't that good? I

Weis was NEVER that good - that's why he's not in New England.  RAC isn't that good either - if he were he'd still be in Cleveland.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

How Can O'Brien Be Killing An Offense Where Players Are Not Executing?

[QUOTE]i agree with obrian i never liked the guys play calling or adjustments to begin with.  Most noticebly in the ravens playoff game. Some of the worse i ever seen.  But its only second game of season.  the jets had their problems the first game and we had ours this game.  Brady missed throws yes.  The playcalling was pretty bad especially when you keep goin to moss over and over and stop trying to run the ball when your only down by a few points.  Like they immediately went into panic mode with 2 quarters left to play.
    posted by changes1677[/QUOTE]

How was the playcalling bad?  Because receivers weren't catching the ball (again to those who keep pushing the myth that Brady kept forcing to Moss, re-read the PxP sheet) or weren't gaining any yardage when they did?  Because Brady's throws were off at bad times?  And how do you go into panic mode when you're leading entering the third quarter? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Step43fan, I would engage in a coversation with you but it is clear you have your own agenda.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I would like to hear more from STP43FAN.  What do you think was the problem in the second half on Sunday?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

The run wasn't working, so we ran some more.  The long pass wasn't working (except for the one long one to Moss) so we threw it long some more.  With so many weapons, there was no excuse to limit the playcalling. However, this is OB's modus operandi.  We have no problem parting with players (Seymour, Vabel, Maroney). Why all the loyalty to the coaches?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Because Seymour and Vrabel were done and Maroney just plain s*cks.

Sections
Shortcuts