O'Brien a hot commodity

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Re: O'Brien a hot commodity

When the Pats go into their no-huddle hurry-up, who calls the plays?  I think it is Brady doing it all and not O'Brian.  When he checks off at the line (a lot), who does that?  Brady or O'Brian?

I think that Brady is in many ways acting as OC - no matter who is actually the OC.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

In Response to Re: O'Brien a hot commodity:
    When the Pats go into their no-huddle hurry-up, who calls the plays?  I think it is Brady doing it all and not O'Brian.  When he checks off at the line (a lot), who does that?  Brady or O'Brian? I think that Brady is in many ways acting as OC - no matter who is actually the OC.
    Posted by sheldong

Brady may be calling all the plays, but I doubt it. OB is able to talk into Brady's headset until 15 seconds (I think) left in the play clock. So OB may be sending in an initial play. Depending on the Defense I am sure Brady always has full powers to change the play. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: O'Brien a hot commodity : Brady may be calling all the plays, but I doubt it. OB is able to talk into Brady's headset until 15 seconds (I think) left in the play clock. So OB may be sending in an initial play. Depending on the Defense I am sure Brady always has full powers to change the play. 
    Posted by gandalf433

Brady is calling the plays, sorry I love BB and have nothing against O'Brien but Brady knows more about his job on the field then both of them. I am sure he listens to the voice in his helmet for advice but, he know the adjustments, he remembers the D sets he saw in practice and films and most important, he knows what HE is capable of.

That is why he is TFB!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I wonder if anyone around here remembers how much vitriol Josh McDaniels used to get on this forum before O'Brien took his turn in the crosshairs. The temptation is to believe that you or I could coach Tom Brady and look good, but despite the endless harping by certain posters on this particular subject, there's a very good reason the Patriots offense runs the way it does. It's all well and good to sit behind a keyboard and say O'Brien should do this or should do that, but the offense  being able to actually execute what seems obvious to you or me is an entirely different matter. I don't know that it's necessarily fair to O'Brien to question his abilities simply because he uses his weapons to their best ability, which is to say he does not insist on sending them out there to do things they quite obviously cannot do consistently. Personally, I don't expect O'Brien to be a successful head coach, but to scoff at the very idea in a league where successful coordinators routinely get chewed up and spit out of head jobs seems a bit harsh to me.
    Posted by p-mike

Best post here. 

O'brien and BB have forgotten more about football than anyone on this forum knows.

The guy has run a top five offense. Almost completely rescripted it after Moss left, to a new 2TE thing.

He deserves some credit.

I dont' like the idea of letting him go, simply because every time a guy starts getting experience he is gone. NE needs to let it's O and D support people become real veterans. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Running the ball when you have a 2 score lead in position to score a FG is more than just sensible, prudent, time consuming, etc... One of the biggest concerns I have is Brady taking UNNECESSARY SHOTS.In the buffalo game I literally was screaming at the TV... HAND IT OFF ...!! We all know how tough Brady likes to think he is... It's morphing into foolhardy. The attack style that he perfected in 2007 had its place then for that team that year. We don't need to roll that way anymore. We made the point. The point is now Brady's old. Still great but old. The next injury could be his last. The attack offense worked because Brady's accuracy made it low risk. He AIN'T THAT ACCURATE ANY MORE. We can see it slapping us in the face... The question is why is it not slapping O'Brien upside the head? Is he subjecting Brady to these gratuitous hits to pad his own stats...?what is it? It doesn't make sense .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: O'Brien a hot commodity":
    What was so bad about the play calling against Buffalo?  That's why Ochostinko blew two passes, because of bad play calling? Posted by Patsfansince1966
    Please refer to previous post as well as the thread "OC throws Brady under bus?" for question one. Interesting that you bring up OCHO.. Is O'Brien doing to Ochocinco's career what he did for MOSS'...?? He ruined moss. People blame moss himself but if you're a WR running decoy routes all game, at some point aren't you going to say what's up with this beatch? The guy moss had more talent (and brains apparently) in his little finger than OB ever had ...and this is how it ends for him...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Well if O'Brien leaves, I expect the next OC to be very successful at running the Patriots offense.  He will probably given much credit for Brady's awesome passing stats and the overall Patriot offense production.  He will probably be given numerous NFL head coaching offers within a couple of years.  I don't know the next OC will be, but it doesn't matter, that's just the way things seem to work out in NE.   Maybe they should hire me, I would love to make lots of money to do next to nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

You people that think you know Brady, say he's arrogant, he changes plays to pass, etc. need to get a grip. You don't know this man, you are blurring reality with fantasy. Your invented perceptions are based off nothing of substance. Outside of canned press meetings you have never listened to him talk or had a conversation with him. You also have no idea how this team manages the plays. One thing I can assure you of though, the HC has the power and ability to change this offense how he sees fit. I'm sure Brady can change plays, but if he kept changing plays in a way that BB did not like he would not have the power to change plays long. You can talk all day long about wanting this team to do this or that, but the simple reality is this team is running the plays that BB wants to run. Now you are entitled to your opinion, but I can assure you that any poster here who thinks they know more about football than BB is more of a fool than a football expert.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You people that think you know Brady, say he's arrogant, he changes plays to pass, etc. need to get a grip. You don't know this man, you are blurring reality with fantasy. Your invented perceptions are based off nothing of substance. Outside of canned press meetings you have never listened to him talk or had a conversation with him. You also have no idea how this team manages the plays. One thing I can assure you of though, the HC has the power and ability to change this offense how he sees fit. I'm sure Brady can change plays, but if he kept changing plays in a way that BB did not like he would not have the power to change plays long. You can talk all day long about wanting this team to do this or that, but the simple reality is this team is running the plays that BB wants to run. Now you are entitled to your opinion, but I can assure you that any poster here who thinks they know more about football than BB is more of a fool than a football expert.
    Posted by shenanigan

Finally, someone talking sense! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

In Response to Re: O'Brien a hot commodity : Best post here.  O'brien and BB have forgotten more about football than anyone on this forum knows. The guy has run a top five offense. Almost completely rescripted it after Moss left, to a new 2TE thing. He deserves some credit. I dont' like the idea of letting him go, simply because every time a guy starts getting experience he is gone. NE needs to let it's O and D support people become real veterans. 
    Posted by zbellino

Best Post?  His post is self-righteous blather at best and you pop in with a world class a@zkiss like we haven't seen since Donald O'Connor got drunk off set with Francis the talking mule. He's basically saying everyone one with an opinion different from him is stupid. You proclaim him best and then agree with him thus elevating your status to that of greatness. That's quality Ivy league stuff Z and I'm surprised you're still slumming it in the SEC. Grow a set huh? Between P-Mike and Texas Pat I hope one of them sent you some chapstick for Christmas.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

In response to "Re: O'Brien a hot commodity": Please refer to previous post as well as the thread "OC throws Brady under bus?" for question one. Interesting that you bring up OCHO.. Is O'Brien doing to Ochocinco's career what he did for MOSS'...?? He ruined moss. People blame moss himself but if you're a WR running decoy routes all game, at some point aren't you going to say what's up with this beatch? The guy moss had more talent (and brains apparently) in his little finger than OB ever had ...and this is how it ends for him...?
    Posted by coolade2

So, Randy Moss is not playing in the NFL because of OB? It has nothing to do with losing one step last year and an additional step this year? It has nothing to do with Moss' well publicized falling out with TB12 for failing to go all out? It has nothing to do with his toxic presence in Minnesota .... after NE? It has nothing to do with his less than successful attempt at rejuvenation in Tennesse...after NE? Wake up and smell the coffee.

Do you really think other teams wouldn't sign Randy Moss if he could contribute without being a disruptive presence? He would have been a cheap signing this year. 

It's silly and juvenile to think OB had anything to do with this. If anything OB attempted to bring Moss back into the fold. Moss is responsible for Moss. 

OB is ruining Ocho???? The Pats go out and pay Ocho 6 million dollars a year so their OC can sadistically ruin him? What sense does that make? The NFL in general, and BB specifically does not suffer fools. BB would not tolerate OB ruining a career or misusing a player that is being paid 6 million a year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Obreinstein is meant to sound like "einstein", which is used sarcastically to deride someone for being stupid, which I considered the playcalling that led to the loss in buffalo. I apologize to anyone who thought it was a slur. O'Brien had no problem until the Brady confrontation IMO since he acted like an idiot when the should have been running the ball. He needs to get in Brady's face? Like Brady the ultimate competitor doesn't feel bad enough already... O'Brien just acted unprofessionally and stupid IMO. His role in moss' departure (effectively ending his career) is also curious.
    Posted by coolade2

I didn't take it as being a slur and have a hard time understanding how anybody could. It's really a stretch to see it that way. I took it like frankenstein; A monster run amok.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Does this mean that GM's and owners know more than Rusty? Seeing how he bashed the guy the whole year...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

I love to say I told you so.... I posted in a different thread a couple days ago that O'B would be a HC candidate. His stock will only rise with the Pats going to the playoffs. Like it or not, and I realize most of you don't like it, O'B has a lot going for him. You can spin it any way you want, but these are the facts:  OB has been coaching TB12 for the past couple years. Whether any of TB12s success can be attributed to OB is a moot point. OB has demonstrated a capability of working with an elite QB.  OB has learned under arguably the greatest coach of the post SB era. He has put his dues in as a good soldier.  OB has been the OC with a team that, in the past, had a prolific WR that shattered the TD record; has a QB that broke the TD record, and is now OC for a team that is third in the NFL without a quality wideout and without a premium RB.  OB has connections to: McDaniels, Crennel, Weiss, Pioli, and Dimitroff. While many deride McDaniels and/or Crennel, both are receiving renewed interest as HC candidates.   There are an anticipated seven HC positions available this year.  OB is a free agent, able to leave the Pats with minimal disruption.  I think the posters here often want a whipping boy for our offensive deficiencies. The facts do not warrant OB as a liability.
    Posted by gandalf433

Gandolf,

I agree. He would be a loss because he has been groomed by BB to lead the offense going forward. His loss would mean BB is less able to concentrate on repairing the D.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This just means starting back at zero for the Pats offense... 

As much as people think I bash O'Brien, it's not so much an indictment of him but rather a plea by myself for BB and Co to hire an experienced coordinator who has handled the "Ron Erhardt - Ray Perkins" offensive system installed by Charlie Weis under Bill Belichick in the past.  

IMO the "bend don't break" defense employed by BB works best in conjunction with a ball control, highly efficient system like this one.

Again; coaches do not count against the cap, the only position I believe we should pay out a little more for would be an O coordinator.

Just an opinion, don't hang me for it...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: O'Brien a hot commodity":
    In Response to Re: O'Brien a hot commodity : So, Randy Moss is not playing in the NFL because of OB? It has nothing to do with losing one step last year and an additional step this year? It has nothing to do with Moss' well publicized falling out with TB12 for failing to go all out? It has nothing to do with his toxic presence in Minnesota .... after NE? It has nothing to do with his less than successful attempt at rejuvenation in Tennesse...after NE? Wake up and smell the coffee. Do you really think other teams wouldn't sign Randy Moss if he could contribute without being a disruptive presence? He would have been a cheap signing this year.  It's silly and juvenile to think OB had anything to do with this. If anything OB attempted to bring Moss back into the fold. Moss is responsible for Moss.  OB is ruining Ocho???? The Pats go out and pay Ocho 6 million dollars a year so their OC can sadistically ruin him? What sense does that make? The NFL in general, and BB specifically does not suffer fools. BB would not tolerate OB ruining a career or misusing a player that is being paid 6 million a year.  Posted by gandalf433
    First... Do you think Ocho has talent... ? Is it being utilized? Whose job is it to coach this 6mil investment? Is ocho stock going up or down under OB...? MOss lost a step? Did you time him? Did he look slow when he beat reVis one handed? Disruption? Could it be that obrien was the only member of that clubhouse that didn't love Randy? Is it possible that the newbie OC on the staff made his line in the sand using moss as a convenient scapegoat being that he was in a contract year? Moss had feelings for the pats as he awkwardly tried to express as a Viking after he was traded. They could have given him a role on this team if they had the creativity to design one. Moss didn't fit in min or tenn because he wanted to play here. Once again look at Ocho. A few catches a TD... Are you still blaming him for this lack of production.? It's up to the coach to recognize the talent of a player and work that talent into the offense on the field. That's what good coaches do. Like BB putting Edelman on defense , for instance . That's what Weis did with Givens, Dillon , and other players with less talent than these guys. The coffee smells fine from where I sit, not blind to some of the questionable operations within this team. I'm not a player who's forced to turn their back on a teammate nor a cheerleader like some of my critics on this board, just an observant fan who wants the best for this team. Also my criticism of O'Brien is not an indictment of everything he does ... Yes, Gandalf , NE is 12-3 with him installed as OC... But when fans like you pump up his credentials because "he has demonstrated the capability of working with an elite QB"... ..really...? Were you shaking your pompoms before or after you typed that ? O'Brien does 85-90% of the things right as an OC ... but that vexing other 15% includes things like adapting and not being pig headed... which has gotten him in trouble. Maybe there's still time for him to pick up his game enough to win some playoff games (another item needed for the resume)...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to "Re: O'Brien a hot commodity": First... Do you think Ocho has talent... ? Is it being utilized? Whose job is it to coach this 6mil investment? Is ocho stock going up or down under OB...? MOss lost a step? Did you time him? Did he look slow when he beat reVis one handed? Disruption? Could it be that obrien was the only member of that clubhouse that didn't love Randy? Is it possible that the newbie on the staff made his line in the sand using moss as a convenient scapegoat being that he was in a contract year? Moss had feelings for the pats as he awkwardly tried to express as a Viking after he was traded. They could have given him a role on this team if they had the creativity to design one. Moss didn't fit in min or tenn because he wanted to play here. Once again look at Ocho. A few catches a TD... Are you still blaming him for this lack of production.? It's up to the coach to recognize the talent of a player and work that talent into the offense on the field. That's what good coaches do. Like BB putting Edelman on defense , for instance . That's what Weis did with Givens, Dillon , and other players with less talent than these guys. The coffee smells fine from where I sit, not blind to some of the questionable operations within this team. I'm not a player who's forced to turn their back on a teammate nor a cheerleader like some of my critics on this board, just an observant fan who wants the best for this team. Also my criticism of O'Brien is not an indictment of everything he does ... Yes, Gandalf , NE is 12-3 with him installed as OC... But when fans like you pump up his credentials because "he has demonstrated the capability of working with an elite QB"... ..really...? Were you shaking your pompoms before or after you typed that ? O'Brien does 85-90% of the things right as an OC ... but that vexing other 15% includes things like adapting and not being pig headed... which has gotten him in trouble. Maybe there's still time for him to pick up his game enough to win some playoff games (another item needed for the resume)...
    Posted by coolade2

Um Coolaide, Moss didn't beat Revis for that catch, Revis pulled up lame with a bad hamstring and that allowed Randy to get seperation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Funny how the hamstring hurts when you get beat... Moss had separation but also height, reach and jumping ability over him too. Plus better hands, experience and probably intelligence ... But the offense is better off with Underwood jumping for balls in the end zone according to the haters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Simply amazing...  Bill Belichick can't even consciously & deliberately TRY to give a Pats Coordinator spot to even a well below average Coach, with amazingly sh#tty credentials, Just in the mere hopes that THIS guy will provide the NE Coaching spot with even 2 years of longevity & stability before someone else scoops him up with a higher positional offer.  Swear ta god, Belichick should just hire Carrot Top after O'Brien books this offseason.  Maybe even a muppet...Maybe The Browns, Chiefs, Bengals, and Chargers games would stop gettin' blacked out If people believed they'd be offered a chance to witness the zany antics of "Alf" as the coach on the sidelines...   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

i'm for a muppet, but I'll want to see more sideline altercations if that's the case.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Let's introduce a little science to this discussion.  All coaches and management types have looked great while Tom Brady has been the QB of this team.

They all have failed miserably when they left the Patriots. KC sucks and Atlanta is a joke that can't win a big game...Oh and they traded away next years #1 - lol.
    Need I mention all the former OC and DC that failed as Head coaches?

Tom Brady is the franchise and everyone else is riding on his coattails. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

Coolade, you said: "Also my criticism of O'Brien is not an indictment of everything he does ... Yes, Gandalf , NE is 12-3 with him installed as OC... But when fans like you pump up his credentials because "he has demonstrated the capability of working with an elite QB".
    ..really...? Were you shaking your pompoms before or after you typed that ?"

I'm just stating the facts. If you want to get angry at them that's your perogative.

And yes, Ocho still has talent, but not enough to warrant TB12 throwing to him on any regular basis. And you can take that to the bank!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Let's introduce a little science to this discussion.  All coaches and management types have looked great while Tom Brady has been the QB of this team. They all have failed miserably when they left the Patriots. KC sucks and Atlanta is a joke that can't win a big game...Oh and they traded away next years #1 - lol. Need I mention all the former OC that failed as Head coaches? Tom Brady is the franchise and everyone else is riding on his coattails.  
    Posted by tcal2-

Amen to that and happy New Year. The Pats always promote from within and who ever they promote is the next new hot comodity. That coach generaly goes on to fail elsewhere and that includes Weiss and Romeo ( I know thes 2 weren't promoted). You'd think teams would learn from history. We have a talented offense. Some players are considered coach killers. Brady is the opposite.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I say Obrien goes to Penn State.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: O'Brien a hot commodity : What is with this adding "stein" to O'Brian's name?  Since you say negative things about him, is that some sort of anti-Semitic nonsense by adding a Jewish sounding end to his name?  If so, that has no place on this board, so F*** off and you are an immediate candidate for my ignore list.  Yeah, I am pissed!
    Posted by sheldong

LOL, Really, you must be the only one that took it that way. Technically "Stein" is a Germanic surname, not a Hebrew name.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I say Obrien goes to Penn State.

Posted by Philskiw1

Apparently he's the backup plan if Munchak declines. Not sure why anybody would want to coach there, but I guess it's still considered a good job, somehow. Must be the money. 

Sections
Shortcuts