Obrien promoted Patricia Demoted Your toughts??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Obrien promoted Patricia Demoted Your toughts??

O'Brien named offensive coordinator/QB coach

February, 11, 2011
    FEB 11
    3:35
    PM ET

The Patriots on Friday announced some changes to its current coaching staff, most significantly naming Bill O'Brien offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach. 

The other moves involved defensive coaches including Matt Patricia, who will now coach the Patriots’ safeties; Patrick Graham, who will serve as linebackers coach; and Brian Flores, who will become defensive assistant on head coach Bill Belichick’s staff. 

Corwin Brown, who served as a defensive backs coach last season with Josh Boyer, will not return. 

O'Brien, who played football at Brown as a linebacker and defensive end and coached 14 seasons at the collegiate level, enters his fifth season with the Patriots, starting as an offensive assistant coach. He served as quarterbacks coach for the past two seasons.

Why thell did they demote patricia to saftey coach ??
    Obrien to offensive  coordinator??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Obrien promoted Patricia Demoted Your toughts??

I am very surprised.  O'Brien was the worse coordinator of the two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

This appears to be a mix and match decision. Corwin Brown is gone so they need someone to fill the position and it looks like Patricia fits the bill. It would appear as though BB will be our D coordinator again this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

We need a true defensive coordinator  playing and shuffling doesn't matter ?

what matters is might be another year with obrien play calling !!
    men BB needs to get some true coordinators

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Unless! Unless!

He hires Bryan Cox, as rumored, and Pepper becomes the D Coordinator?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I wish some of you guys would make up your mind on O'Brien.  First he was terrible.  Then they traded Moss and revamped the offense and he was great.  Then they lost a playoff game and he's back to being terrible????

I thought he made big strides this yr from his performance the yr before but what do I know.  I guess scoring over 30 points in the last 9 regular season games in a row isn't good enough. 

But I guess your right because he definitely shouldn't have thrown that pick or dropped that TD pass against the Jets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

My only complaint was why he went away from the run in the 2nd quarter in a 7-3 game.

Gave me SB 42 dooosh chills.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Re: Obrien promoted Patricia Demoted Your toughts??:
    [QUOTE]Unless! Unless! He hires Bryan Cox, as rumored, and Pepper becomes the D Coordinator?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I like Pepper Johnson and there have also been eroneous rumors that they may need to promote him if they want to keep him long term.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

In the playoff loss, either O'brian still doesn't have it to make the halftime adjustments, or he didn't have the personel to make the needed adjustments....

Someone to stretch the field or a running back to pound the ball......

He's def gotten better, but still needs some polishing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

What does Bill O'Brien need to do to get some respect around here?  The Patriots scored 518 points in the regular season.  This is the SEVENTH most in the history of the NFL.  They scored around 80 points more than the Chargers, Eagles, and Colts, who everyone always says had "explosive offenses."  If they were explosive with around 440 points, what do you call a team with 518?  I read somewhere else that the Patriots set an NFL record for points per possession.  They were phenomenally successful during the regular season, and O'Brien deserves a lot of credit for that.  I know everyone focuses on the playoff loss to the Jets.  But that's the luck of the NFL playoff system.  If you don't have a good game, you are out.  You can't fire your OC because he had one bad game, even if it was a playoff game.  Besides, it was not all his fault.  If three plays (the interception, the dropped pass in the end zone, the muffed punt) went differently, the Patriots probably would have won.  Thankfully, Belichick recognized the abilities O'Brien brings to the team.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Maybe the confidence he gets by the official promotion puts him into a better place as coordinator.

The guy improved as the season went, so that's a good thing.

I am surprised on Patricia unless BB is looking at hiring someone from another organization?

Must be semi-awkward to demote Patricia and then promote Pepper Johnson.  Interesting, anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Perhaps when the Pats pick up that power running game either via the draft or free agency, Obrien gets more options to add to the offense. Now the real question is who gets the DC job title. Russ, I too hear of Peppers getting the job but will that be a reality, or does Patricia still call the shots from the DB coaching position?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

Maybe BB will give permission for other teams to steal our new offensive coordinator.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe Patricia can introduce Meriwether to these things called arms, which can be useful for tackling.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

lol

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Patricia will be defensive coordinator someday so this is not a demotion. It is a lateral move designed to get him ready.
    Sometimes game time decisions are dictated by the game, such as against the Jets. Too many mistakes by the players lost that game.  Should have been up 14-0 right away and the game would have been over. The INT by Brady and the dropped TD, the fumbled fake punt. None were the coaches fault.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]Should have been up 14-0 right away and the game would have been over. The INT by Brady and the dropped TD, the fumbled fake punt. None were the coaches fault.
    Posted by boomerst3[/QUOTE]

And who's fault was it for the game plan, adjustments, and offensive/defensive play calling?

When things go "really bad", it's not just one factor or one person that is  the sole cause for the result.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Typical boston fans love them when they win and hate them when they lose !I think its sad stand by the pats or what ever team you root for!If one or 2 plays would have been made  he would be a hero and this wouldnt even be a issue!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

BB might want to call up his some of SEC contacts and find a talented offensive assistant or two to bring on board.  

Being really good, but not being able to put together a winning game plan might be okay if your Marty Schottenheimer, or Mark Levy. Usually coaches leave NE to go to other teams, and then become underachievers based on their Patriots resume, O'Brien could just be a few years ahead of himself.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Patricia will be defensive coordinator someday so this is not a demotion. It is a lateral move designed to get him ready. Sometimes game time decisions are dictated by the game, such as against the Jets. Too many mistakes by the players lost that game.  Should have been up 14-0 right away and the game would have been over. The INT by Brady and the dropped TD, the fumbled fake punt. None were the coaches fault.
    Posted by boomerst3[/QUOTE]

Agreed. My issue is the 2nd quarter and on.  He abandoned the run way, way too early.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Maybe Corwin Brown did such a bad job that Belichick feels like Patricia is better suited helping develop their crew of young safeties than coaching their fairly well-developed inside linebacker corps and their about-to-completely-change-over outside linebacker corps that hasn't really improved since Patricia's been coaching them anyways.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We'll never win in the playoffs throwing it 45 times in bad weather... a coach who doesn't run in the playoffs isn't simply an inexperienced play caller but is an all around clueless one.  The playoffs are a different animal, what's the point of fighting for home field advantage if we're going to be the ones exploited by the elements?

We'll never win a ring as a pass first team unless an overwhelming amount of luck befalls us or our defense becomes overly dominant.  Law Firm averaged 4.3 yards a carry in the regular season, he should have carried us in the playoffs, instead he sat on the sidelines watching our "high flying" 5 wide offense go punt, punt, punt, interception after rushing us to our only touchdown to start the game...

Coaches don't count against the salary cap, there's no reason why we can't splurge a little for experienced coordinators.  I don't mind the team being frugal when it comes to players, the NFL is a coaches league.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

A couple years ago they had two d coords Pees and Capers. They did not even make the playoffs that year, I still believe that the reason they have not name a d coord is because if they name Patricia, Johnson will leave; if they name Johnson it would be the other way around.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obrien promoted Patricia Demoted Your toughts?? : And who's fault was it for the game plan, adjustments, and offensive/defensive play calling? When things go "really bad", it's not just one factor or one person that is  the sole cause for the result.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]
    How do you game plan for players dropping passes, or getting dancing feet like Brady did a few times? He felt imaginary pressure a couple times and actually moved into defenders. Not much to do there.