O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni

Whether or not you think negatively or positively about the job O'brien has done for the Pats, this is another issue for another discussion. 

The subject line says it all. After reading an article about O'brien being hired by Penn State there were numerous comments posted by Penn State Alumini and supporters who view this hiring as a negative thinking that a fellow alumnus should have been hired over looking the fact the Joe Paterno colleged at Brown University. They over look many factors such as the school possibly wanting to bring in fresh blood from the outside to clean up the program if it indeed needs cleaning plus the schools board wanting to set a better image for Penn State by hiring from the outside. 

Hetchinspete.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni

I believe I heard yesterday, that former PSU players were angry/upset that they were not consulted about the selection and hiring of a new HC. Really? Is that something that really happens in collegiate football? I don't get it, honestly. I mean I REALLY don't know. Would anyone care to enlighten me on this because I truely am confused, not being sarcastic. KMc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni

I could go on all day about Penn State.  I've never seen a more myopic, arrogant, delusional fanbase than Penn State.  How can they not realize that things need to change?  They always liked to play that holier than thou angle, acting better than the Ohio States, USCs, Florida States, and SEC teams, etc that they were second fiddle to all these years.  Now the truth comes out that they were no better (in fact worse in one major way), and yet they still act like they have the perfect system.  It was a house of cards.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

They are lucky anybody even wants this dirty job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have been harsh in O'Brien but I really think he will do well with Penn.  Can't believe all the negativity from the Penn alumni and press.  I know BB's coaches have not done well on their own but I would bet O'Brien will bring a lot of the Patriot way to Penn and be a tremendous asset to rebuilding the program's image there.  Wish nothing but the best for this guy, he has a huge challenge ahead of him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

That's becuase all the football alumni wanted a someone who played at Penn St.

heck even Paterno was from Brown U.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsMonkTime. Show ItsMonkTime's posts

As a PSU grad who understands the need for change, I think I can also understand the angry reaction from some PSU alums (no matter how inarticulate or emotional), particularly on the part of the former players. I believe they view the coaching purge as somehow casting aspertions on _thier_ character, that anyone who had anything to do with PSU football, from the arrival of Paterno until his firing, is tainted. 

Naturally, the ugly Sandusky scandal a situation that involves a very few individuals in the program, but in the age we live in the media and public at large seem only able to paint with a very broad brush. Anyone remember "Patriots are cheaters"? I think that's what's provoked the angry reaction. My guess is that it will be short lived. Or it won't. Either way, I don't think it matters: the PSU Board of Trustees seems determined to change the football program and, indeed, it's role in the PSU community. 

Also, from what I'm seeing, most of the anger has little to do with O'Brien himself. Rather, it's directed at the search committee and Trustees for not chosing someone with a PSU affiliation. All of this, I expect, will die down over time. My concern about O'Brien, who I believe will win over the PSU community, is that the shoes he has to fill are perhaps too big. Naturally, winning will heal most wounds. But winning will be hard. I hope the PSU community has the patience to allow him the time he needs to get his football system and recruiting operation up and running. I must also admit I'm concerned O'Brien might only have a short-term interest in the job. But then, a short-term coach might be needed for PSU to build the bridge from its football past to its football future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

i kinda feel bad for  obrien he has been set up to fail at penn state

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The alumni are clueless. What top prospects are going to want to play at Pedo U? The first coach in is going to have a real hard time finding guys to keep this team winning. O'Brien is a sacrificial lamb. And that's exactly what he deserves. In a few years the stigma will likely subside and the next guy will have a chance at recruiting better talent.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

I would rather see this reaction from the PSU alumni than have it smoldering under the surface. Everyone knew things were bad, but at least now we see how ingrained this toxic culture has really become at PSU. 

Arrington and Dozier are actually doing O'Brien and the other new leaders a favor by exposing just how deep this culture of circling the wagons goes. 

This was a necessary step, both the hiring of an outsider and the over the top reaction by the alumni, in moving PSU past it's denial and toward a healthier environment.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

VIDEO: Penn State football Coach Bill O'Brien Arrives in State College
    VIDEO: O'Brien Talks About His Football Plan for Penn State
    LINK: O'Brien will be making a total of about $2.3 million a year
    http://www.statecollege.com/news/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

This is the mindset that allowed a pedophile to remain at large and abusing boys. It is pathetic and disgusting. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni:
    [QUOTE]As a PSU grad who understands the need for change, I think I can also understand the angry reaction from some PSU alums (no matter how inarticulate or emotional), particularly on the part of the former players. I believe they view the coaching purge as somehow casting aspertions on _thier_ character, that anyone who had anything to do with PSU football, from the arrival of Paterno until his firing, is tainted.  Naturally, the ugly Sandusky scandal a situation that involves a very few individuals in the program, but in the age we live in the media and public at large seem only able to paint with a very broad brush. Anyone remember "Patriots are cheaters"? I think that's what's provoked the angry reaction. My guess is that it will be short lived. Or it won't. Either way, I don't think it matters: the PSU Board of Trustees seems determined to change the football program and, indeed, it's role in the PSU community.  Also, from what I'm seeing, most of the anger has little to do with O'Brien himself. Rather, it's directed at the search committee and Trustees for not chosing someone with a PSU affiliation. All of this, I expect, will die down over time. My concern about O'Brien, who I believe will win over the PSU community, is that the shoes he has to fill are perhaps too big. Naturally, winning will heal most wounds. But winning will be hard. I hope the PSU community has the patience to allow him the time he needs to get his football system and recruiting operation up and running. I must also admit I'm concerned O'Brien might only have a short-term interest in the job. But then, a short-term coach might be needed for PSU to build the bridge from its football past to its football future.
    Posted by ItsMonkTime[/QUOTE]

If you read the responses to the article, many were angrily directed at O'brien as well as the search committee. I give O'brien credit for applying for the position because I'm sure he has to realize that he's inserting himself into a difficult position, possibly a no win situation. Replacing a head coach like Paterno, even with the mess at Penn State and his involvement, to the Alumni O'brien's replacing an icon and that in itself has it's problems. 

As far as anyone connecting the Patriots scandel to this and O'brien, it is a possibility, but I doubt it has anything to do with the PSU alumni reaction. 

I wish him the best and hope he succeeds. 

Hetchinspete.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni:
    [QUOTE]As a PSU grad who understands the need for change, I think I can also understand the angry reaction from some PSU alums (no matter how inarticulate or emotional), particularly on the part of the former players. I believe they view the coaching purge as somehow casting aspertions on _thier_ character, that anyone who had anything to do with PSU football, from the arrival of Paterno until his firing, is tainted.  Naturally, the ugly Sandusky scandal a situation that involves a very few individuals in the program, but in the age we live in the media and public at large seem only able to paint with a very broad brush. Anyone remember "Patriots are cheaters"? I think that's what's provoked the angry reaction. My guess is that it will be short lived. Or it won't. Either way, I don't think it matters: the PSU Board of Trustees seems determined to change the football program and, indeed, it's role in the PSU community.  Also, from what I'm seeing, most of the anger has little to do with O'Brien himself. Rather, it's directed at the search committee and Trustees for not chosing someone with a PSU affiliation. All of this, I expect, will die down over time. My concern about O'Brien, who I believe will win over the PSU community, is that the shoes he has to fill are perhaps too big. Naturally, winning will heal most wounds. But winning will be hard. I hope the PSU community has the patience to allow him the time he needs to get his football system and recruiting operation up and running. I must also admit I'm concerned O'Brien might only have a short-term interest in the job. But then, a short-term coach might be needed for PSU to build the bridge from its football past to its football future.

Was Bill even with the the Pats during the alleged spygate? 

Regardless, with a 16-0 record in 2007, that should have shut up all of that talk.

While not a Penn grad, I've always admired the program for their high ratio of graduating football players. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

Why all the hate by the Pat fans?

Granted I'm not expert, but our offense has been the highlight of this team the last few years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsMonkTime. Show ItsMonkTime's posts

Riding:

Go back and read my post. I clearly state that I AM a PSU alum and that I DO recognize the need for change. Man, your  reading comprehension is poor, dude!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]The alumni are clueless. What top prospects are going to want to play at Pedo U? The first coach in is going to have a real hard time finding guys to keep this team winning. O'Brien is a sacrificial lamb. And that's exactly what he deserves. In a few years the stigma will likely subside and the next guy will have a chance at recruiting better talent.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

What top prospects are going to want to play at Pedo U? 

Babe, you're putting a label on an entire university unfairly. Sure the entire issue casts deep aspersions over the entire school but the actions of a few do not make the entire university guilty. Unfortunately the people at the university that could have taken action against Sandusky by going to the PD didn't but this doesn't make the entire school guilty and using the term "Pedo U" is uncalled for.  

The first coach in is going to have a real hard time finding guys to keep this team winning. O'Brien is a sacrificial lamb. And that's exactly what he deserves.

O'Brien will be in a difficult situation and I'm sure a man of his intelligence realizes this. That's is why he deserves credit for taking the job and why do you say this is what he deserves. He's not being hired to be a sacrificial lamb. Give O'Brien credit and not saying something negative by saying he deserves this. And again what do you have against Bill O'Brien by saying he deserves what ever you think he deserves. Purely demented statement on your part. 

In a few years the stigma will likely subside and the next guy will have a chance at recruiting better talent.

The one thing you get right is yes the stigma will wear off in time but it is going to make O'Brien and his new staffs job more difficult in recruiting new talent. Hopefully the University will realize that the process is going to be difficult for O'Brien and his staff giving him time to right the program. 

Hetchinspete

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni : Riding: Go back and read my post. I clearly state that I AM a PSU alum and that I DO recognize the need for change. Man, your  reading comprehension is poor, dude!

Monk,

I understand your thoughts, and your post, completely. I know several PSU alums who are sick to their stomach at what happened, and believe Paterno and the whole crew should have been fired.

At the same, time those alums don't like being painted with a broad brush. If a Catholic priest is found to be a pedophile, you don't replace him with a Muslim; you replace him with a Catholic priest who is not a pedophile.

I think PSU alums felt as though ALL of them were being branded pedophiles, and that is unfortunate and unfair.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni : Actually, it;s fantastic. I couldn't have better reading comprehension. You're rationalizing and doing what the whiny alumni is doing. Read Enoch's post.  That's spot on.  Your opinion, or ANYONE's opinion on WHOM is hired is irrelevant.  They could have hired Richard Simmons and it doesn't matter. It's not about you and your football fandom. PSU is lucky to even have a program at this point. The program should be halted until the trial of everyone involved is finished. You seem to be unaware how evil and serious this is.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

So, King, if the abuse had been committed by, say, a professor of literature, should Penn State be "lucky" to have an English Department?