O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni

How can O'Brien's performance with the Patriots possibly be taken out of consideration wrt his qualifications for the Penn State job?  What else does he have?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni

OBlivious without Tom Brady, his college record as an offensive coordinator 1-22.  Welcome back to losing and losing hard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni:
    In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni : What top prospects are going to want to play at Pedo U?  Babe, you're putting a label on an entire university unfairly. Sure the entire issue casts deep aspersions over the entire school but the actions of a few do not make the entire university guilty. Unfortunately the people at the university that could have taken action against Sandusky by going to the PD didn't but this doesn't make the entire school guilty and using the term "Pedo U" is uncalled for.   The first coach in is going to have a real hard time finding guys to keep this team winning. O'Brien is a sacrificial lamb. And that's exactly what he deserves. O'Brien will be in a difficult situation and I'm sure a man of his intelligence realizes this. That's is why he deserves credit for taking the job and why do you say this is what he deserves. He's not being hired to be a sacrificial lamb. Give O'Brien credit and not saying something negative by saying he deserves this. And again what do you have against Bill O'Brien by saying he deserves what ever you think he deserves. Purely demented statement on your part.    In a few years the stigma will likely subside and the next guy will have a chance at recruiting better talent. The one thing you get right is yes the stigma will wear off in time but it is going to make O'Brien and his new staffs job more difficult in recruiting new talent. Hopefully the University will realize that the process is going to be difficult for O'Brien and his staff giving him time to right the program.  Hetchinspete
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I'm not labeling anything. That's the label they have earned by their administrators looking the other way  in the face of despicable activity. I really couldn't care less other than to see justice done for the victims.

As far as O'Brien, his unprofessional foaming at the mouth tirade on the sidelines ousted himself from BB's welfare rolls and he deserves his plight as the janitor to cleanup that whole mess because that's what the market has for his ilk.

You may have been able to tell from my sig, I'm not an O'Brien fan. Your points are not well taken.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni:
    OBlivious without Tom Brady, his college record as an offensive coordinator 1-22.  Welcome back to losing and losing hard.
    Posted by tcal2-

OB is a joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

i kinda feel bad for  obrien he has been set up to fail at penn state
    Posted by wolfwood

He didn't have to take the job.  He knows what he is getting into and the challenges that are ahead of him.  I haven't been his biggest fan but what I have seen lately of the guy he seems like a tough dude that can handle himself.  Seen some of his interviews since accepting the coaching gig and he seems to have a great attitude going into this even after hearing all the the neg talk. 

I think he will do pretty well, this is a great opportunity for him to go in and turn that ship wreck of a situation around for the football program and school.  Possibly could end up being a college coaching star, possible a much better future for him then had he jumped into a NFL HC job right now.

What all the alumni are afraid of is an outsider coming in and making some changes, changes that apparently have been needed for a long time.  I will be cheering for the guy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

NEWSFLASH for the PSU Alumni: You have no "consultation" rights in this situation. Joe Paterno and his ego, Sandusky and everyone involved in the cover ups ruined that luxury for you. Maybe after Sandusky and the others see jail time can things return to normal. They're delusional.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

That said it all for me.  Thanks.  You're spot on!!!  I was kind of surprised but Penn State did the right thing.  They had to go COMPLETELY outside the box...hiring someone who played for those coaches would not have been good.  They needed to hire outside the "family"...and even if they fail, they did the right regardless.  They needed a complete break from the spectre of Paterno.

I dunno...it worked out for the Pats better than anyone, so I could care less.  If O'Brien is willing to handle two duties and not skimp, then the alumni should be happy to get a guy that will see things to completion.

Wish him the best of luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The entire Penn State football program is tarred, from the college president and the athletic director who broke the law, to revered Joe Pa who knew, to the rest of the coaching staff that somehow didn't even hear any rumors for years and years, despite one minor coach catching Sandusky in the act.  Penn State has no one on staff who can now be promoted from within. 

Penn State still has big emotional issues.  Football is a game, people!  It's not a religion, and even if it was a religion one priest can't molest kids all day, and the other priests can't cover the whole thing up for the good of the faith.  At this point the college really needs to stick a shrink in the head coach's office. 

Just forget about the winning.  No respectable high school player will want to be associated with Penn State now.  Almost the entire coaching staff needs to be fired.  Every single away game, the fans will make really awful signs about the scandal.  Penn State is going to lose a bunch of games if O'Brien can't work miracles with nothing.  The State Pen is going to have a well-coached football team. 

O'Brien's strength is that he knows ten new BB wrinkles to the uptempo game.  When Charlie Weis brought the Patriot offense to Notre Dame, the first game out their offense drove the entire field 6 times in a row, 42 fast points, until Weis brought the scrubs in, and this was against the former coach of the Miami Dolphins.  I suspect that the other college coaches caught on, and then the Weis offense wasn't a sure thing anymore.

Also, New England had zero tolerance for sexual assaults.  Bob Kraft followed Myra Kraft's orders and immediately fired anyone who messed up.  He once threw away a draft choice just after the draft. 

O'Brien's weaknesses might be a lack of high school recruiting experience, a lack of head coaching experience, and no clue as how to motivate college freshmen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. lieve PaCan't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni : .... If a Catholic priest is found to be a pedophile, you don't replace him with a Muslim; you replace him with a Catholic priest who is not a pedophile.....
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4

huh? that is a really bad analogy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

replacing joepa with someone from inside the community gives the impression that give the impression that psu is just going for control of any more spin. fair or not fair, people outside the psu bubble - including hs kids and their parents - do not think it will be a good place for them.if there's any chance that the program attracts any good players, it would be because there's someone there who has experience working in the best nfl system - a chance that they could learn skills needed in the pro level

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

In Response to O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni:
    Whether or not you think negatively or positively about the job O'brien has done for the Pats, this is another issue for another discussion.  The subject line says it all. After reading an article about O'brien being hired by Penn State there were numerous comments posted by Penn State Alumini and supporters who view this hiring as a negative thinking that a fellow alumnus should have been hired over looking the fact the Joe Paterno colleged at Brown University. They over look many factors such as the school possibly wanting to bring in fresh blood from the outside to clean up the program if it indeed needs cleaning plus the schools board wanting to set a better image for Penn State by hiring from the outside.  Hetchinspete.  
    Posted by Hetchinspete
      who view this hiring as a negative thinking that a fellow alumnus 

Should rhis read Felony alumnus. They want a PSU man who can cover for scxual abuse of children. Would you take this job now?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

replacing joepa with someone from inside the community gives the impression that give the impression that psu is just going for control of any more spin. fair or not fair, people outside the psu bubble - including hs kids and their parents - do not think it will be a good place for them.if there's any chance that the program attracts any good players, it would be because there's someone there who has experience working in the best nfl system - a chance that they could learn skills needed in the pro level
    Posted by seattlepat70

Absolutely...  And there's The shady Top-Dog Alumni sh#t goin' on within any Div. 1 College Football Program.  An outsider as the Head Coach, becomes a scary proposition for the big-wigs whom are/were currently getting and giving a few perks behind the scenes (No, I'm still not discussing the pedophelia thing). 

Honestly though, in the 2 minutes I actually tuned into this thing, I threw on ESPN in order to visually witness Penn State College Kids jumping on cars and trying to whip their brethren into an uproar of "justice" for Joe Pa...  I came away thinking that it looked like a Cult of delusional, st#p#d, and slightly dangerous id#ots.  Maybe they should place this phrase somewhere in some Penn State Student Newspaper:  

[IF Keeping an Assistant Coach who's currently and previously molesting underage children means that you can perhaps have a slightly better chance at winning 1 or 2 more College Football Games=Start coming to terms with the fact that this is not exactly A morally balanced trade-off] 

'Kay?  Can we perhaps make it anywhere near to that intellectually brilliant recognition persons of Penn State affiliation?    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni : What top prospects are going to want to play at Pedo U?  Babe, you're putting a label on an entire university unfairly. Sure the entire issue casts deep aspersions over the entire school but the actions of a few do not make the entire university guilty. Unfortunately the people at the university that could have taken action against Sandusky by going to the PD didn't but this doesn't make the entire school guilty and using the term "Pedo U" is uncalled for.   The first coach in is going to have a real hard time finding guys to keep this team winning. O'Brien is a sacrificial lamb. And that's exactly what he deserves. O'Brien will be in a difficult situation and I'm sure a man of his intelligence realizes this. That's is why he deserves credit for taking the job and why do you say this is what he deserves. He's not being hired to be a sacrificial lamb. Give O'Brien credit and not saying something negative by saying he deserves this. And again what do you have against Bill O'Brien by saying he deserves what ever you think he deserves. Purely demented statement on your part.    In a few years the stigma will likely subside and the next guy will have a chance at recruiting better talent. The one thing you get right is yes the stigma will wear off in time but it is going to make O'Brien and his new staffs job more difficult in recruiting new talent. Hopefully the University will realize that the process is going to be difficult for O'Brien and his staff giving him time to right the program.  Hetchinspete
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I don't think so. The entire university is ssupect as far as I am concerned. You want to think it was a few but isn't it odd that those "few" are the ones in charge and capable of doing something, but all refused to act? This is not just a few, it is institutionalized immorality based on protecting a brand over people.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni : Monk, I understand your thoughts, and your post, completely. I know several PSU alums who are sick to their stomach at what happened, and believe Paterno and the whole crew should have been fired. At the same, time those alums don't like being painted with a broad brush. If a Catholic priest is found to be a pedophile, you don't replace him with a Muslim; you replace him with a Catholic priest who is not a pedophile. I think PSU alums felt as though ALL of them were being branded pedophiles, and that is unfortunate and unfair.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4

A Catholic priest that isn't a pedophile. Hahahahahaha. That is a good one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Monk, all due respect but you're as deluded as every other loyal PSU fan. It's a bad job now. No decent candidate would touch it. It will be impossible to win there and whether it's O'Brien or anybody else doesn't really matter. The program is in demise and it's not reversible.

"Naturally, the ugly Sandusky scandal a situation that involves a very few individuals in the program, but in the age we live in the media and public at large seem only able to paint with a very broad brush."

Yes, just a few, let me know if I'm leaving anyone out OK?:

• Sandusky
    • Paterno 
    • Probably half (or more) of the coaches who were on staff in the last 20 years
    • McQueary
    • McQueary's father
    • Sandusky's wife
    • Anybody who worked at Second Mile
    • The university president
    • The athletic director
    • The board of trustees
    • Everybody who worked in the athletic dept. that came into contact with old weird Jerry
    • The campus police
    • The district attorney's office
    • The fans who rioted when the enabler Paterno was fired

I don't know how the NCAA doesn't sanction the entire athletic dept. for lack of institutional control. This seems to be the most extreme case of that in history. What's worse, an entire university turning a blind eye to rampant pedophilia or some kids getting paid by boosters?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

How can O'Brien's performance with the Patriots possibly be taken out of consideration wrt his qualifications for the Penn State job?  What else does he have?
    Posted by expertmike

You can't take it out of context if you're the hiring committee, but when I posted this thread to the group I thought it to be irrelevant to this discussion. 

I'm not that informed on O'Brien's employment history but I believe he has about ten years or so of working at major university's. I'm sure other with more knowledge of his work history will respond.   

Hetchinspete

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Dear Monk Time, Anyone remember it? I was in a bar on Xmas eve watching the Pats game and some Cincy fans yelled out "cheaters" after a game break showing the Pats scoring a TD. Anyone connecting a 15+ year molestation/rape cover up scandal that rivals some of the most heninous behavior in human history and an overblown witch hunt started by a jealous rival and totally mishandled by a new, Draconian commissioner, might want to learn how to make a correlation. No offense, but you sound like someone from PSU.  I suggest you move on from trying to spin their situation. It makes you look completely brainwashed. If you can't figure out they DID NOT WANT TO CHOOSE SOMEONE WITH A PSU AFFILIATON BY DESIGN AND VERY WISELY, I cannot help you. That's the point!  They couldn't do that! The alums and their fans have ZERO to say in this situation other than demanding the truth from Paterno and everyone involved in the cover up of egregious felonies. It's a miracle they even made a connection with O'Brien being from Brown like Paterno was. Who knows if that was intentional or not or if O"Brien prefers the NCAA and wanted a head coaching job, with PSU wanting a piece of some class and professionalism from the most respected franchise in the NFL, if not all of sports. Your doing what the alums are doing!   Delusional, dude. Absolutely delusional. It's highly likely Paterno may be on a stand in court and may be going to jail.  You need to wake up.  This isn't some "oh, Paterno made a mistake" scenario. You need to be concerned about the massive cover up and the fact your university allowed rape and molestation to go on to protect an ego and legacy at PSU as a way for people to continue make money. It's sick. SICK.

Agreed Rusty - and just two more cents:  I'm hearing the PSU alums and The Letterman Club whining to high heaven about PSU pedigree and the nonsuch - not one peep about the victims of Sandusky's henious crimes against humanity or JoePa basically turning a blind eye to it all.  It's really disgusting.  From my perspective - the entire Penn State football organization - from the coaches up - abetted these vile acts.  Another thing I don't understand - for as long as Sandusky coached there - NONE of the former players (what had to be in the hundreds) knew something wasn't right?  I find that extraordinarily hard to believe.  No proof mind you, but I'm not buying that that many players over that long a time span didn't know something wasn't right - and I think that's why they're bemoaning not having a "pedegree" guy instead of raising some money (or making good) to the victims - the whole thing smells like crap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]Monk, all due respect but you're as deluded as every other loyal PSU fan. It's a bad job now. No decent candidate would touch it. It will be impossible to win there and whether it's O'Brien or anybody else doesn't really matter. The program is in demise and it's not reversible. 

You may be right, but I think it is reversible and will be on the upswing in 4-5 years. 

In regards to the "benefits" of taking this job right now: O'Brien has already turned this into a positive. His name has been bandied about on every major Sports program and every major News channel. This will be in the news for a long time and he will be the figurehead that is seen as a positive response to a negative situation. 
    He will be getting HC experience at a Big Ten school for the next five years. He will be increasing his income dramatically. 
    If the "program" fails, it will not be his fault. If the "program" has a re-birth, he will get the credit. 

This is a good job for O'Brien

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: O'briens hiring at Penn State. Can't believe all the negative comments from Penn State alumni : I'm not labeling anything. That's the label they have earned by their administrators looking the other way  in the face of despicable activity. I really couldn't care less other than to see justice done for the victims. As far as O'Brien, his unprofessional foaming at the mouth tirade on the sidelines ousted himself from BB's welfare rolls and he deserves his plight as the janitor to cleanup that whole mess because that's what the market has for his ilk. You may have been able to tell from my sig, I'm not an O'Brien fan. Your points are not well taken.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Babe: 

I'm not labeling anything. That's the label they have earned by their administrators looking the other way  in the face of despicable activity. I really couldn't care less other than to see justice done for the victims. 

You're not labeling the school, of course you are and you do not seem to realize it. You've called the university Pedo U. If that's not labeling I'm not sure what is. How many admins at the school knew of Sandusky will come out in time, but the school has hundreds of fine people teaching and administering programs at Penn State and they do not deserve the label you've unfairly put on them because of the few.  

As far as O'Brien, his unprofessional foaming at the mouth tirade on the sidelines ousted himself from BB's welfare rolls and he deserves his plight as the janitor to cleanup that whole mess because that's what the market has for his ilk. 

As for this comment, why was he unprofessional any more or less than Tom Brady. I'm not taking sides as to whether TB or O'Brien were right or wrong in thier argument, but it was a heated discussion but two professional in the
    midst of a game and disagreements happen in sports in games under pressure. It is part of sports. 

You may have been able to tell from my sig, I'm not an O'Brien fan. Your points are not well taken.

I don't care if your an O'Brien fan or not, I'm not a fan of his either, but I've my opinions I'm entitled to on this board and I don't care if they are not well taken by you. I've the right to voice my opinions just like you do. 

Posted by BabeParilli

Still wish you would change you online name to something other than BabeParilli. 

Hetchinspete. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The alumni are clueless. What top prospects are going to want to play at Pedo U? The first coach in is going to have a real hard time finding guys to keep this team winning. O'Brien is a sacrificial lamb. And that's exactly what he deserves. In a few years the stigma will likely subside and the next guy will have a chance at recruiting better talent.

Dont agree with some of this. Penn state is a college that a lot of kids wish to go to. If your from PA or even Ohio parts thats a school worth going to. A scholarship is a scholarship. Exposure is key to making it to the pros. You dont think that Penn state will be in the news next year to see how they are doing? Play there for a year or 2 just to get on the field and see what happens. I'd consider it is I was good enough to compete.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

If PSU felt that Bill O'Brien was the best football coach available, so be it.

But there are thousands of Penn State football alumni who had ZERO knowledge and nothing to do with Sandusky and the whole sordid affair... guys who were just as surprised as any of us posting here, and who had far more right to be angry than any of we non-PSU alums, since it is their school's reputation--and by association, them--being tarnished. If none of these thousands were as qualified a coach as O'Brien...no big deal.

But--assuming there are PSU alums who are qualified to be a head coach--to say that NONE of them could be eligible to be considered as a successor to Paterno is just ridiculous.

If the new president and administrative heads can have Penn State backgrounds, why not the freakkking football coach? People have become so damn politically correct these days with their righteous indignation. Sorry, but if my alma mater had a sex scandal going on today, it should not preclude me--who graduated 28 years ago--from working there...in any capacity.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Ignore Babe. He has Brady's blow up doll on back order just in case his current one stretches at the seams.

King, 

I do not always agree with your writings anymore than I'm sure you always agree with mine but atleast we write with respect for each others opinions, and we back up our opinions with sane arguments, atleast I hope I do, but Babe's writings can be ludicrous even though he does bring out good points on ocassion as well. My thought is either he is way too reactionary or he feeds off of spewing nonsense hoping to get other's goats. 

I'm going to your namesake to get a Burger. LOL

Cheers, 
    Hethinspete

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

The outrage is kind of funny, seeing as Paterno was not a Penn State alum - he and O'Brien are both Brown graduates.

• Sections
    Shortcuts