Observations from camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Observations from camp

3rd day at camp and I spent most of the time watching he line men as today was the first day in pads. Thoughts;

-Cannon is getting starters reps. He looks 1000% better than last years camp, where I thought he was the worst linemen in camp last year. Did not see much of Connolly? Not sure if his shoulder is ready. 

-Svitek is very big, with good footwork. He lined up at LT today and looked better IMO than Solder. Not saying he is better, but today he looked comfortable and did well, Solder did not

-Kelly is really big, and since I hadn't seen a lot of him prior, I was dubious given his age. There is no doubt he is head and shoulders above Lovie and Deadrick. Definite upgrade, only question is how much. He looked very good today, strong, quick, experienced, had all the tricks. After 1 day in pads in July, call me crazy, but it would not surprise me if he is pro bowl material playing next to Vince

-I am in the minority, but I am not impressed with Wendell. He is undersized, and I simply feel the Pats can't run behind an undersized C

-I am in the minority, but I continue to be very impressed with Cunningham. I was last year as well. He looked very good today, very fast

-I am in the minority, but I simply do not see it with Bequette. Count me surprised if he makes the team

-I think Fortson makes the team and contributes. 

-I didn't see the skill players much today, but heard Ridley fumbled. I assume BB drops him down in practice and we see more Vareen and Bolden for a stretch. Even though it is July, BB sets the tone every day, mistakes are not tolerated. 

-I read yesterday here at BDC someone said TB is the least of our worries. I agree, and Mankins is the second least of my worries. He looks healthy and is the true leader on the OL. He is the offensive Vince.

-This early in camp is simply getting acclimated, getting your body reacquainted with hitting and reacquainted with the guys beside you. Next 2-3 weeks will tell what is what with the lineman. Pass protection wise,  this OL already looks crisp. If the goal is to get incrementally better each day, by the season opener, this OL could be in mid season form. Unquestionably the strength of the team, and one of the reasons TB is so good. I think in run scheme, Cannon is an upgrade over Connolly, even when healthy, and Connolly is an upgrade over Wendell. Nice problem to have though. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Observations from camp

Thanks for the info rkarp, I really enjoy reading these.

Yes, I have read multiple reports about how good Cannon is looking.  Also have read Connolly is still recovering from shoulder surgery.

Have also read nothing but good and impressive comments about Kelly.  I can't wait to see him, if he keeps this up he is going to make a major difference in the D.

Call me crazy but I have always like what I seen from Cunningham.  I hope he continues to improve and makes the team.

I have read several reports that Rasi I isn't looking as good as I hoped he would.  It will be interesting to keep an eye on him.

To me the Ridley fumbling is a bit of a concern.  I read where he fumbled twice today in less then 10 minutes and one was a goal line run.  Also read that him and Mallet fumbled a hand off exchange so that makes a 3rd fumble Ridley was involved in.

Keep up the good reports, thanks again!

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Oh god.

I will say, I am shocked at the objective nature of his review. Rkrap has come a long way from his trollish tone and word choices like used last year.

I've said all along Bolden should be challenging Ridley in camp in case Ridley can't hold onto the ball, and for RIdley to be scaled back like a Faulk role where you using him more strategically.

Bolden is very good as well.

Last year Cannon was very bad, and Gallery was even worse. Waters was holding out. Wendell was getting over powered in drills. Mankins did not appear healthy. IMO, last year, concern was warranted, as was criticism for signing Gallery. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

Great text

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Yes, I have read multiple reports about how good Cannon is looking.  Also have read Connolly is still recovering from shoulder surgery.

Have also read nothing but good and impressive comments about Kelly.  I can't wait to see him, if he keeps this up he is going to make a major difference in the D.

Call me crazy but I have always like what I seen from Cunningham.  I hope he continues to improve and makes the team.

I have read several reports that Rasi I isn't looking as good as I hoped he would.  It will be interesting to keep an eye on him.

To me the Ridley fumbling is a bit of a concern.  I read where he fumbled twice today in less then 10 minutes and one was a goal line run.  Also read that him and Mallet fumbled a hand off exchange so that makes a 3rd fumble Ridley was involved in.

I did not see Ras or Ridley today. I am not experienced enough to take everything in. After my work responsibility is completed, I find it more interesting to watch one or two things that day, and sit next to some one like Bedard or Yates, or even Tedy or o ne of the ex players now in the media, and listen. I usually say nothing, other than ask a question. My knowledge on what is going on in practice is minuscule. 

3 very long days for me, but glad football is back and we all can discuss.

I have not had the chance yet to read up what others have been saying about today's practice, but I did not hear anything about injuries. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Did you see Chandler at all? And the LB corps?

I did see Chandler today, but I did not have an impression that I recall.

I saw the LB's yesterday. No pads, but extremely impressed with Collins. I thought I posted that early this morning, but now I am not sure. Collins yesterday was playing the big Safety spot that I thought was AWilsons spot. Collins looks like he will be raw, and needs to learn a lot, but is athletic enough to make some very big plays. INT's, sacks, I think he will eventually be able to do it all.....he kind of looks like Von Miller, but as of yesterday, I had not seen Collins in pads, nor rush the passer. He is very impressive however.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

LOL fix that point about Bequette before you get banned

Sorry about that. I edited it after....I am actually just finished up and at Pats Place having a cold one waiting on my wide for early dinner. Hard to check spelling on IPad, as you all know

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Did you see Chandler at all? And the LB corps?

I did see Chandler today, but I did not have an impression that I recall.

I saw the LB's yesterday. No pads, but extremely impressed with Collins. I thought I posted that early this morning, but now I am not sure. Collins yesterday was playing the big Safety spot that I thought was AWilsons spot. Collins looks like he will be raw, and needs to learn a lot, but is athletic enough to make some very big plays. INT's, sacks, I think he will eventually be able to do it all.....he kind of looks like Von Miller, but as of yesterday, I had not seen Collins in pads, nor rush the passer. He is very impressive however.

Von Miller? Von Miller is a dwarf. I hope he is nothing like Von Miller if BB is looking to use him in some 3-4.

I don't see Collins in the 3-4. I simply don't think he can set the edge like BB likes. Collins looks like a very big S, runs very well. Again, I did not see him in pads, and only saw him one day, yesterday, so time will tell. But he has Millers similar size, slim hips, fast. I am anxious to see Coloins, Jones get after the QB from eithe edge.....I don't recall the Pats ever having defenders as fast as these 2 guys getting after the QB?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I've seen nothing on Ras I. Please post what you read.

I will see if I can find it again.  Read two different pieces about Ras I not looking good today.  I was disappointed to read this as I think he could be a very good CB.

Here is one of them...

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/07/new_england_patriots_training_9.html

I will look for the other.  BTW, here is a different quote I read from a blog earlier today..

- Ras-I Dowling has gotten beat several times today; both short and long passes. Dennard and Talib have been impressive with their technique.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Thanks for the post rkarp. I appreciate the insight. I agree on Cunningham too. I've always thought he was better than given credit. I hope he can stay healthy and have a real breakout season because I still think he has a lot of potential. I have no opinion on Bequette because I haven't seen him play, but I have heard that Buchanon and Francis look good, so I know Bequette  will have a tough road just to make the team. Keep the thoughts coming.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Great text

Dan Marino would disagree

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thanks for the report Rkarp. It's still early in camp but I'm still down on Cunningham. I remember hearing rave reviews about him at camp last year too and with the exception of his PED months he provided nothing last year. And even in his PED months didn't provide much more than more subpackage pass rushing role players. To me he really has to show a lot this camp because imo Francis has surpassed him

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Great text

Dan Marino would disagree

LOL, I agree!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Awesome thread and reports rkarp! Great to hear Kelly is looking good (we need him). Everything I read about the receivers today had Jenkins being moved down because of the younger guys outperforming him - which I thought was great news - if Jenkins is a starting wide receiver on this team, things aren't good. Sounds like Dobson had another real strong day, easily beating the jam and getting open consistently. Mankins said he feels healthy and that is huge for the line and running game. 

I might try to get down there next week. I used to go all the time when they were at Bryant College...it was great, you get up close, there wasn't too many people there...it's different now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

The D-line gave the O-line fits today, both starting T had problems during 1on1..can it be attributed to them being rusty( no pun intended to our fellow poster ) or our D-line has made some progress? This team will be alright come regular season, the receivers ( the team biggest question mark) will be just fine, the TE position will be solid until The Gronkster comes back at full strenght...but come mid-season I think all of our worries would be forgotten..nice to hear that our CBs are doing good...but can't get carried away, usually the D is a step ahead of the Offense let's wait for them to get into a comfort zone and see which unit will be the strenght of this team..

Thanks for the info...

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Nice read as usual. Thanks and keep it up!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Jake Bequette is a fan favorite for the same reason Flutie was a fan favorite, Boston loves the white underdog. And to think some people had Jake rated higher, and more "NFL ready" prospect, over Chandler on these boards.

Jake is more "NFL ready" prospect, all right, ready to ride that NFL bench. Heard Buchanon had a good day today.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Interesting side note from knowledgeable Kirwan:

@PatKirwanCBS says he initially thought Tim Tebow would be candidate 4 final cut. After watching 2day, now sees him on team

I wonder what happened today with what he saw from Tebow?

Reports have not been great with either Mallet or Tebow but maybe Tebow is holding his own at this point.  Battle for 2nd string, lol!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

The D-line gave the O-line fits today, both starting T had problems during 1on1..can it be attributed to them being rusty( no pun intended to our fellow poster ) or our D-line has made some progress? This team will be alright come regular season, the receivers ( the team biggest question mark) will be just fine, the TE position will be solid until The Gronkster comes back at full strenght...but come mid-season I think all of our worries would be forgotten..nice to hear that our CBs are doing good...but can't get carried away, usually the D is a step ahead of the Offense let's wait for them to get into a comfort zone and see which unit will be the strenght of this team..

Thanks for the info...

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

That's what I heard.  The D Line was taking it to the O Line.  Just got off the phone with one of my uncles. They've been attending these things for 40 years and know a lot about the game and I always like to hear their analysis and compare with the published sources, too.

One of the words used is "big" for the obvious WR size upgrade and Tommy Kelly who is Seymour size.   He was impressed with Kelly.  Said he looked like he;s been there for years.

I think he was just noticing the vast differrence of the taller WRs, Jenkins, Dobson both at 6'4, no WR really smaller than 5;11, etc.  Welker and Branch gone and these guys in, it appears that was the intent.

Also, lots of perimeter work for these WRs.

I asked them to keep tabs on A. Wilson, Kelly and Sudfeld.  Sudfeld didn't show much, A. Wilson and Kelly appear to "fit right in like they were always there".   No blown coverages or out of position situations so far for A. Wilson.  It's early, they aren't running plays, etc, but that's a good sign.

The Ridley fumble sounds like Vince blasted through the line and basically just took it away. The other one was a bad exchange.

Not excusing it, just saying, that's how it was described.  Huge crowd that kept filtering in at high numbers.

Nothing else stood out with the WRs or LBs from where he was.

They go tomorrow night again for the season ticket holders in stadium session, so I'll add more from tomorrow if possible.

I heard good things from the WR specially our 2nd rounder and the undrafted kid, they've impressed so far...Talib had nice things to say about them too..I like the fact that he said they have a good release off the line..we need them to be physical and not let the other player dominate them nor back down from their physicality ...the only guy I haven't heard much as of yet is boyce..they're probably bringing him along slowly because of his foot injury..pre-season games can't get here fast enough..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Jake Bequette is a fan favorite for the same reason Flutie was a fan favorite, Boston loves the white underdog. And to think some people had Jake rated higher, and more "NFL ready" prospect, over Chandler on these boards.

Jake is more "NFL ready" prospect, all right, ready to ride that NFL bench. Heard Buchanon had a good day today.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

49Patriots....Just glad to see you!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JGCK. Show JGCK's posts

Re: Observations of end of practice today... Total respect to Mallett and Tebow!!!

They signed autographs and talked with fans well after the practice ended. Several security staff tried to get them to stop and they continued. Tebow posed for several pictures. Both took time to talk to fans. I have attended Patriots practices and met several players over the years. Not a single player has impressed me like these two players have today!!!! 

For all the Tebow haters and Mallett critics - all the negative things people write on this board- these two players made some fans for life today. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from copydog. Show copydog's posts

In watching them several times at camp last year Mallet would run very hot and cold, either very good or hedious....Tebow couldn't be worse than he was yesterday and he's never been a good practice player....seems like a long term project and I can definitely buy into the idea that they may be trying to get Tebow up-coached to the point they could play him if needed and eventually trade Mallet.

Read where Jones had a good day today, and the same with Kelly and Wilfolk...while this is excellent news, would love to find out how the late signing at NT/DT did as well as the other interior DL are doing....so far so good for the DB's...they'll be better than last year barring injuries of any significant length.....guess all we need to move forward defensively is an upgraded pass rush....Bequette could be gone if he doesn't watch out...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Jake Bequette is a fan favorite for the same reason Flutie was a fan favorite, Boston loves the white underdog.And to think some people had Jake rated higher, and more "NFL ready" prospect, over Chandler on these boards.

Flutie was a fan favorite because he was good. The Patriots had him (1987-1989) but coach Raymond Berry wouldn't play him. With an aging QB in Steve Grogan and an inept QB in Tony Eason and a great defense, Flutie should have been given the chance. How did 1990 work out?

"Inch for inch, Flutie in his prime was the best QB of his generation." John Madden

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Dowling had a tough day.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/07/training_camp_day_3_practice_report.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I might draft Dobson in my upcoming Fantasy draft. Put him on my bench and see what happens.

Sections
Shortcuts