Observations from today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Observations from today

Watched practice today, it was in pads, but there wasn't a lot of hitting...still got a pretty good look at some guys. Here's what I thought...

Edelman was out there and looked like he wasn't suffering from whatever injury he had. He looked quick, explosive and caught everything thrown his way. The guy springs out of of his breaks unbelievably and really looked good in drills.

Amendola was targeted heavily by Brady. He's very quick, caught just about everything and competes hard. They sent him outside deep against Talib and Talib stayed with him, negating any chance of a reception. Talib might of been the most dominating player on the field...nobody was catching much on him.

Thompkins might of been the best receiver out there today. He's a weird study - he physically doesn't look all that impressive, his calves are skinny, he doesn't look all that big, but his feet are quick and the qb's look for him because he gets open quickly. He can stop...turn on a dime and explode to the ball. This kid was arrested 8 times before he turned 18. Oklahoma wouldn't take him...don't know if any of that matters?

Dobson will help his team - he is big, separates and catches the thing with these long arms. He smoked Arrington deep today, but everyone had there way with Arrington. There was one drill where they waved this huge racket in front of his face as the ball was coming and I thought...there's no way he catches this. He caught as though the ball was born in his hands...clean...no juggle/double clutch. Beautiful.

Boyce is going to be a player, he is smooth and fast. They had him running underneath where he looked very good. Then you saw him deep where he was flying. He did have a drop or two.

The two new guys they signed look great in drills too. I will say all the receivers struggled going against Talob and Dennard. The only guys that caught balls in tight coverage was Thompkins and Dobson. Going against zone they all had their moments, but one on one in man? Not good today...it's going to take some time.

Dennard is such a good player right now, he fights for it, he's right there knocking balls out everytime. His coverage is so tight. He went up against Dobson on a slant in the endzone...Dobson had position, size advantage, a perfect throw...yet Dennard just climbed all over him and threw himself into his catch radius and broke the thing up. It was unbelievable.

Collins looks like a linebacker. He is very quick and very skinny.

Buchanon looks like McGinnest physically. He is a specimen.

I hope spikes was hurt because he had no business running through drills the way he did. He gave no effort what so ever. This guy is as far away from a leader as you can get.

The comer from Rutgers looks lost...really lost. He didnt look like he had a clue where the receivers were. Dowling looked good until he got hurt. I will say he has Arrington disease and doesn't turn for the ball...still he is at least with them.

Belichick had a very animated conversation with some big, older, heavy guy on the sidelines. Don't know who he was, but it was fun to watch.

Tebow will not be playing QB on this team. He's got an amateur arm, he doesn't see plays develop...I don't get it. How does this guy win on the field? The crowd loves him.

So what I took away from today is that the secondary will be better. The receivers have potential. Brady is phenomenal...nobody on this roster comes close to his accuracy and command...it's so impressive to see out there. He walks into the huddle during his turn and hits guys perfectly. Got to say all the runners caught the ball well today. Washington catches kickoffs so clean its amazing to wactch. 

I typed this whole thing on my phone and I'm sure there is auto correct mistakes everywhere.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Observations from today

Good stuff. Thanks!

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Great info, thanks for posting. Not any mistakes that I saw.
    I am so excited about Thompkins, sounds - so far - as if he is the real deal. And good to hear Edelman is back, time will tell for how long....

Supra societatem nemo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great stuff mthurl, thanks.  I guess Arrington sucks as much live as he does on TV.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

thanks so much mthurl!  good read  thanks for sharing!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

great job, mthurl. Thank you for taking the time and making th effort.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Happen to get a chance to watch Adrian Wilson and/or Tommy Kelly today?

Let's go Pats!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Happen to get a chance to watch Adrian Wilson and/or Tommy Kelly today?

Let's go Pats!

Did not notice Wilson at all. I did notice Kelly - guy is huge...seems to move well. Honestly you can't help but notice him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Another great breakdown of a day at camp.

Thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Thanks for posting mthurl. Good stuff. Everything I am reading, the WR corps might actually be a point of strength this year assuming they keep progressing and stay healthy.

i know this is still early and practice, but based on your live observations , how does this years WR corps stack up against last years collectively? Also, any more detail on sudfeld or any of the other te's?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

LT Nate Solder: Didn’t look great in 1-on-1 drills, whiffing badly against Chandler Jones and then getting beaten by Jake Bequette.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Thanks for posting mthurl. Good stuff. Everything I am reading, the WR corps might actually be a point of strength this year assuming they keep progressing and stay healthy.

i know this is still early and practice, but based on your live observations , how does this years WR corps stack up against last years collectively? Also, any more detail on sudfeld or any of the other te's?

I'd say collectively they are bigger and faster. They catch the ball better in drills, but it's so early and I will say this, when they had to go man to man against the corners they all struggled. The only guys I saw making catches were Thompkins and Dobson. Now there was a lot of contact going on and maybe some of the balls thrown weren't perfect, but still it was a let down. Talib is a beast, so is Dennard. Having said that Boyce and Amendola are going to be players. Amendola went deep on Talib, but couldn't shake him...he got his fingers on the ball...rolled and jumped up letting out the loudest f bomb I've ever heard. Mothers looked on in horror (I loved every second). Boyce can fly, catch and he looks big (not exactly tall big, but wide, girthy).

The tight ends were doing their positional drills so far away from me that I couldn't get a good look at them. All I can say about Sudfield is he looks bigger than I thought he was (he's tall and wide) and he caught a few balls going down the middle...he looks like he moves pretty well too. One other thing, there's this running back (Wells?)...he caught the ball pretty well and has some quickness. I was surprised to see Ridley catching it pretty well too on the outside in drills.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Mthurl is better than most beat writers, good sheet my man.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Great post Mthurl, thanks for the info.  I'm very pumped after reading that!  How many more days until the first regular season game????

A bit disappointed to read what was written about Spikes and Arrington.  They need to perform big time this season.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

Great post mthurl.  

It's really encouraging and seems to be in line with BBs recent draft strategies to load up on offensive skill positions and let these kids battle it out, learn and grow together and challenge each other and it also protects against injury.  Pretty smart when it works like it has with the TEs (until Hern went evil OG) and the RBs who have been great.  Mix in some vets to show the young guys how its done and boom goes the dynamite.

These recent drafts with Nick C as director have been really strong.  It's interesting that he was the WRs coach and it seems that he knows WRs and got himself some good ones.  I love how he is out there tossing balls to guys and coaching them up still.  Have you noticed his interaction at all in your observations?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

BTW, I seen tweet and had to laugh....

Ras-I Dowling was on the bike. It’s comforting to know when you’re away, things don’t change.

— Greg A. Bedard (@GregABedard)

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Some Ben Volin tweets:

1. No Marcus Cannon at practice today.
    2. Aaron Dobson (foot) is back at practice, as expected.
    3. RB Brandon Bolden still not working with the team, third straight practice.... Bolden is in uniform but doing conditioning drills by himself
    4. Hooman and Jamie Collins tussle and stare each other down at the end of the play. Getting testy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Good stuff, mthurl - lots of positives - appreciate you taking the time to post it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Spikes is one of the, if not the, slowest players on the team. Could that factor into it? 

Also, I think he's done in New England. Wouldn't be shocked to hear that he's a vet casualty, and if he does make the 53, he's not getting renewed. The Patriots haven't even tested Jaime Collins at DE, they've kept him at OLB all camp. I see BB going Collins and "Highlight" Hightower outside, with Mayo as the Mike. 

Spikes is a liability in coverage, Collins is a former S. He'll be assigned to the TEs.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Great stuff Mthurl. This is why I love this board. The first hand reports of the fans are better than the media most of the time.

btw, I still have no clue why people think Tebow is going to be a QB on this team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to kylerocks's comment:

Great post mthurl.  

It's really encouraging and seems to be in line with BBs recent draft strategies to load up on offensive skill positions and let these kids battle it out, learn and grow together and challenge each other and it also protects against injury.  Pretty smart when it works like it has with the TEs (until Hern went evil OG) and the RBs who have been great.  Mix in some vets to show the young guys how its done and boom goes the dynamite.

These recent drafts with Nick C as director have been really strong.  It's interesting that he was the WRs coach and it seems that he knows WRs and got himself some good ones.  I love how he is out there tossing balls to guys and coaching them up still.  Have you noticed his interaction at all in your observations?

From where I was sitting I couldn't tell who it was working with the receivers, but you bring up a good point on Nick.

I will say all the receivers looked very good in drills...they were smooth, they were fast, they looked big. The only thing is in the drills where these guys had to face corners in press coverage it wasn't real pretty. I thought the corners won that battle handidly - Dobson did win one. Thompkins won one. Boyce dropped his. The corners would go back into the line high fiving one another (and rightfully so). I'll tell you no one was catching passes on Talib or Dennard, those two seem to have formed a bond and don't want to give anything up...they compete real hard. It's hard to believe how different the secondary looks with these two in it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Spikes is one of the, if not the, slowest players on the team. Could that factor into it? 

Also, I think he's done in New England. Wouldn't be shocked to hear that he's a vet casualty, and if he does make the 53, he's not getting renewed. The Patriots haven't even tested Jaime Collins at DE, they've kept him at OLB all camp. I see BB going Collins and "Highlight" Hightower outside, with Mayo as the Mike. 

Spikes is a liability in coverage, Collins is a former S. He'll be assigned to the TEs.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

His speed had nothing to do with his "performance" in the running drills. Now a lot of guys don't go full speed, but he is barely moving. I was thinking he was hurt, but he was out there with the starters in the middle. And for all the talk about his lack of speed....he can move pretty damn quick in a short area. I just thought that everytime the coaches would look away he would coast...he seems very aloof.

Again maybe he was hurt and told he didn't have to run. I was just taken back by his effort.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Great stuff Mthurl. This is why I love this board. The first hand reports of the fans are better than the media most of the time.

btw, I still have no clue why people think Tebow is going to be a QB on this team. 

I read afterwards that he was much improved and completed some deep balls, etc. I say so what. He completed some deep balls?? Yeah with no over the top help - all he had to do was throw the thing over the corner to a receiver that was behind him. It's not like there was a safety cutting in, or there was a pass rush. Or the defense was showing him different looks...it was a pass anyone could of made.

There was a guy sitting behind me that kept counting while Tebow had the ball in the pocket and then he would yell "the play is over!!" and he was right, the play would of been over...he would of been sacked...we would of been called for holding, etc. In a endzone drill he had three options to choose from - I saw him go with the same throw three times. It was a throw a guy would make if that was all he could do...that's all he can do...easy throws. He can't fire the thing with accuracy. He is full of muscle, but the ball doesn't have zip or accuracy. He can lob a ball ok, he can make the easy pass (short crossing pattern), but you would have to eliminate 60% of an NFL passing attack for this guy to play.

On TV I like watching him - he wins - he plays well in a game. In practice? Wow...man I mean, there is people in the stands that can throw the ball better than him and get rid of it quicker too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think Reiss had an article saying spikes did get knicked.  

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

Sections
Shortcuts