Observations from today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Observations from today

In response to mthurl's comment:

Watched practice today, it was in pads, but there wasn't a lot of hitting...still got a pretty good look at some guys. Here's what I thought...

Edelman was out there and looked like he wasn't suffering from whatever injury he had. He looked quick, explosive and caught everything thrown his way. The guy springs out of of his breaks unbelievably and really looked good in drills.

Amendola was targeted heavily by Brady. He's very quick, caught just about everything and competes hard. They sent him outside deep against Talib and Talib stayed with him, negating any chance of a reception. Talib might of been the most dominating player on the field...nobody was catching much on him.

Thompkins might of been the best receiver out there today. He's a weird study - he physically doesn't look all that impressive, his calves are skinny, he doesn't look all that big, but his feet are quick and the qb's look for him because he gets open quickly. He can stop...turn on a dime and explode to the ball. This kid was arrested 8 times before he turned 18. Oklahoma wouldn't take him...don't know if any of that matters?

Dobson will help his team - he is big, separates and catches the thing with these long arms. He smoked Arrington deep today, but everyone had there way with Arrington. There was one drill where they waved this huge racket in front of his face as the ball was coming and I thought...there's no way he catches this. He caught as though the ball was born in his hands...clean...no juggle/double clutch. Beautiful.

Boyce is going to be a player, he is smooth and fast. They had him running underneath where he looked very good. Then you saw him deep where he was flying. He did have a drop or two.

The two new guys they signed look great in drills too. I will say all the receivers struggled going against Talob and Dennard. The only guys that caught balls in tight coverage was Thompkins and Dobson. Going against zone they all had their moments, but one on one in man? Not good today...it's going to take some time.

Dennard is such a good player right now, he fights for it, he's right there knocking balls out everytime. His coverage is so tight. He went up against Dobson on a slant in the endzone...Dobson had position, size advantage, a perfect throw...yet Dennard just climbed all over him and threw himself into his catch radius and broke the thing up. It was unbelievable.

Collins looks like a linebacker. He is very quick and very skinny.

Buchanon looks like McGinnest physically. He is a specimen.

I hope spikes was hurt because he had no business running through drills the way he did. He gave no effort what so ever. This guy is as far away from a leader as you can get.

The comer from Rutgers looks lost...really lost. He didnt look like he had a clue where the receivers were. Dowling looked good until he got hurt. I will say he has Arrington disease and doesn't turn for the ball...still he is at least with them.

Belichick had a very animated conversation with some big, older, heavy guy on the sidelines. Don't know who he was, but it was fun to watch.

Tebow will not be playing QB on this team. He's got an amateur arm, he doesn't see plays develop...I don't get it. How does this guy win on the field? The crowd loves him.

So what I took away from today is that the secondary will be better. The receivers have potential. Brady is phenomenal...nobody on this roster comes close to his accuracy and command...it's so impressive to see out there. He walks into the huddle during his turn and hits guys perfectly. Got to say all the runners caught the ball well today. Washington catches kickoffs so clean its amazing to wactch. 

I typed this whole thing on my phone and I'm sure there is auto correct mistakes everywhere.

Good Work Bro. Seems like your report was in line with what I saw, but I will admit I didnt think Dobson was that tall when I saw him, but I wasnt that close. on Tv, I did notice his size. No Randy Moss but def. impressive. I didnt know about the Thompkins kid being arrested 8 times. I guess thats why he was in Cincy so I just hope he has his act together because he has a chance to help from what I saw. Collins is lean dude that should help right away. Dissapointed that we already are seeing M.Cole in place of Dowling. We have a secondary that can be good but is also one injury away from S*cking and thats not good imo. Im gonna try and get out there again on the w/e to catch some more action

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

Great stuff Mthurl. This is why I love this board. The first hand reports of the fans are better than the media most of the time.

btw, I still have no clue why people think Tebow is going to be a QB on this team. 

I read afterwards that he was much improved and completed some deep balls, etc. I say so what. He completed some deep balls?? Yeah with no over the top help - all he had to do was throw the thing over the corner to a receiver that was behind him. It's not like there was a safety cutting in, or there was a pass rush. Or the defense was showing him different looks...it was a pass anyone could of made.

There was a guy sitting behind me that kept counting while Tebow had the ball in the pocket and then he would yell "the play is over!!" and he was right, the play would of been over...he would of been sacked...we would of been called for holding, etc. In a endzone drill he had three options to choose from - I saw him go with the same throw three times. It was a throw a guy would make if that was all he could do...that's all he can do...easy throws. He can't fire the thing with accuracy. He is full of muscle, but the ball doesn't have zip or accuracy. He can lob a ball ok, he can make the easy pass (short crossing pattern), but you would have to eliminate 60% of an NFL passing attack for this guy to play.

On TV I like watching him - he wins - he plays well in a game. In practice? Wow...man I mean, there is people in the stands that can throw the ball better than him and get rid of it quicker too.

[/QUOTE]

This is why people think he's great as a runner. He holds the ball for so long the play breaks down. He's great at keeping a play alive but all that does is spread the D out giving him room to run. It artifically makes him seem like a better runner than he really is. Unfortunately that doesn't work all that well in the pro's as teams will eventually figure it out (like the Pats did) and devote a LB to spy on him (like the Pats did) which will stop him from running wild on broken plays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Great stuff Mthurl. This is why I love this board. The first hand reports of the fans are better than the media most of the time.

btw, I still have no clue why people think Tebow is going to be a QB on this team. 

I read afterwards that he was much improved and completed some deep balls, etc. I say so what. He completed some deep balls?? Yeah with no over the top help - all he had to do was throw the thing over the corner to a receiver that was behind him. It's not like there was a safety cutting in, or there was a pass rush. Or the defense was showing him different looks...it was a pass anyone could of made.

There was a guy sitting behind me that kept counting while Tebow had the ball in the pocket and then he would yell "the play is over!!" and he was right, the play would of been over...he would of been sacked...we would of been called for holding, etc. In a endzone drill he had three options to choose from - I saw him go with the same throw three times. It was a throw a guy would make if that was all he could do...that's all he can do...easy throws. He can't fire the thing with accuracy. He is full of muscle, but the ball doesn't have zip or accuracy. He can lob a ball ok, he can make the easy pass (short crossing pattern), but you would have to eliminate 60% of an NFL passing attack for this guy to play.

On TV I like watching him - he wins - he plays well in a game. In practice? Wow...man I mean, there is people in the stands that can throw the ball better than him and get rid of it quicker too.

This is why people think he's great as a runner. He holds the ball for so long the play breaks down. He's great at keeping a play alive but all that does is spread the D out giving him room to run. It artifically makes him seem like a better runner than he really is. Unfortunately that doesn't work all that well in the pro's as teams will eventually figure it out (like the Pats did) and devote a LB to spy on him (like the Pats did) which will stop him from running wild on broken plays.

You're right, no doubt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Watched practice today, it was in pads, but there wasn't a lot of hitting...still got a pretty good look at some guys. Here's what I thought...

Edelman was out there and looked like he wasn't suffering from whatever injury he had. He looked quick, explosive and caught everything thrown his way. The guy springs out of of his breaks unbelievably and really looked good in drills.

Amendola was targeted heavily by Brady. He's very quick, caught just about everything and competes hard. They sent him outside deep against Talib and Talib stayed with him, negating any chance of a reception. Talib might of been the most dominating player on the field...nobody was catching much on him.

Thompkins might of been the best receiver out there today. He's a weird study - he physically doesn't look all that impressive, his calves are skinny, he doesn't look all that big, but his feet are quick and the qb's look for him because he gets open quickly. He can stop...turn on a dime and explode to the ball. This kid was arrested 8 times before he turned 18. Oklahoma wouldn't take him...don't know if any of that matters?

Dobson will help his team - he is big, separates and catches the thing with these long arms. He smoked Arrington deep today, but everyone had there way with Arrington. There was one drill where they waved this huge racket in front of his face as the ball was coming and I thought...there's no way he catches this. He caught as though the ball was born in his hands...clean...no juggle/double clutch. Beautiful.

Boyce is going to be a player, he is smooth and fast. They had him running underneath where he looked very good. Then you saw him deep where he was flying. He did have a drop or two.

The two new guys they signed look great in drills too. I will say all the receivers struggled going against Talob and Dennard. The only guys that caught balls in tight coverage was Thompkins and Dobson. Going against zone they all had their moments, but one on one in man? Not good today...it's going to take some time.

Dennard is such a good player right now, he fights for it, he's right there knocking balls out everytime. His coverage is so tight. He went up against Dobson on a slant in the endzone...Dobson had position, size advantage, a perfect throw...yet Dennard just climbed all over him and threw himself into his catch radius and broke the thing up. It was unbelievable.

Collins looks like a linebacker. He is very quick and very skinny.

Buchanon looks like McGinnest physically. He is a specimen.

I hope spikes was hurt because he had no business running through drills the way he did. He gave no effort what so ever. This guy is as far away from a leader as you can get.

The comer from Rutgers looks lost...really lost. He didnt look like he had a clue where the receivers were. Dowling looked good until he got hurt. I will say he has Arrington disease and doesn't turn for the ball...still he is at least with them.

Belichick had a very animated conversation with some big, older, heavy guy on the sidelines. Don't know who he was, but it was fun to watch.

Tebow will not be playing QB on this team. He's got an amateur arm, he doesn't see plays develop...I don't get it. How does this guy win on the field? The crowd loves him.

So what I took away from today is that the secondary will be better. The receivers have potential. Brady is phenomenal...nobody on this roster comes close to his accuracy and command...it's so impressive to see out there. He walks into the huddle during his turn and hits guys perfectly. Got to say all the runners caught the ball well today. Washington catches kickoffs so clean its amazing to wactch. 

I typed this whole thing on my phone and I'm sure there is auto correct mistakes everywhere.

Good Work Bro. Seems like your report was in line with what I saw, but I will admit I didnt think Dobson was that tall when I saw him, but I wasnt that close. on Tv, I did notice his size. No Randy Moss but def. impressive. I didnt know about the Thompkins kid being arrested 8 times. I guess thats why he was in Cincy so I just hope he has his act together because he has a chance to help from what I saw. Collins is lean dude that should help right away. Dissapointed that we already are seeing M.Cole in place of Dowling. We have a secondary that can be good but is also one injury away from S*cking and thats not good imo. Im gonna try and get out there again on the w/e to catch some more action

You're brave trying to go there on a weekend. I thought it was packed yesterday, I guess the only good thing is you won't have to fight rush hour traffic like I did yesterday...boy that sucked. Every ten feet I kept getting reports of a car being broken down on the shoulder - I mean do people ever maintain their cars?

Yeah I thought Dowling was looking pretty good...I just never count on that guy. There was a lot of bodies flying around out there at the end of plays, I can see why so many injuries happen in camp with these guys competing for their careers.