Ocho is here to stay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ocho is here to stay

According to Adam Schefter via Rotoworld...

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes Chad Ochocinco "absolutely" will be back with the Patriots for the 2012 season.

"They believe that he'll spend this offseason immersing himself in the playbook, familiarizing himself with the Patriots' offense," explained Schefter. "They're going to bring all these wide receivers in and let them compete in training camp and the best receivers will play." The Patriots are reportedly working with Ochocinco on a restructured contract.
    -------------------
    I think once he gets the system down he will be a good asset to this team.

Discuss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Ocho is here to stay

I don't get cutting him anyway. 3 mil dead money to save 3? Why? They aren't in cap trouble, it makes little sense to cut the guy when he's not a distraction.

Worst case scenario: same as last year. And looking at last year...I fail to see where he really handicapped them. OBVIOUSLY it would have been nice to get something out of him, but did his money prevent a move? His presence prevent someone from getting on the field?

Best Case scenario: He turns into a solid #2/3, and grabs 40-50 balls this year, provides some entertainment on the field and via twitter. The risk is easily worth the potential reward.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I like Adams enthusiasm, but 3 things for me.

1.) Chad will be on a reality show this year regarding his wedding

2.) Branch is back as well as Stallworth. 2 guys who will definately have more knowledge and experience than he has and I dont see how he creates more chemistry with Brady then Branch or Stallworth can

3.) Brady only has so much time to babysit and I would think most of his time will be devoted to getting Lloyd up to speed as he is the most talented at this point as well highest paid of the 3.

The lone positive I can throw out there is I saw a guy in Ocho last year who still had skills. I also saw a guy in O'Brien who had a dislike for Ocho and wanted Underwood in there. This manifested when O'bie chastised Brady for saying something to Tiquan. Also a few games last year I noticed Brady talking to Ocho before games, saying "were gonna get u going today!!"  only to see Chad get just a few snaps. This told me Brady did want to get Chad involved, but O'bie the coordinator was not implementing him and despite what some say here, Brady is just the QB, not some selfish play changing Gun Slinger.

So I think thats part of the reason Ocho is getting a 2nd chance IMO, and B.B. realized his coordinator didnt really give Chad an Opp'ty. Hopefully Josh doesnt have any pre-conceived notions about Ocho. That is my only saving grace on that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He's had a year to get the system. If he was a rook I'd give him a break but as a vet over the course of the year he should have had a basic understanding by this point. He still looked lost on the field running routes at the end of the year.

What I don't get is why it's taking so long to restructure. I'd come at his simply. Right now you base this year is 3mil. Reduce it to vet min and we'll keep your base in 13' at 3mil. If you don't except this you're gone. If you don't perform this year you're gone. Take it or leave it you have 3 days to decide

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Ocho is here to stay:
    [QUOTE]He's had a year to get the system. If he was a rook I'd give him a break but as a vet over the course of the year he should have had a basic understanding by this point. He still looked lost on the field running routes at the end of the year. What I don't get is why it's taking so long to restructure. I'd come at his simply. Right now you base this year is 3mil. Reduce it to vet min and we'll keep your base in 13' at 3mil. If you don't except this you're gone. If you don't perform this year you're gone. Take it or leave it you have 3 days to decide
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

This is why your not a GM or a headcoach of an NFL team/organization

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Ocho is here to stay:
    [QUOTE]According to Adam Schefter via Rotoworld... ESPN's Adam Schefter believes Chad Ochocinco "absolutely" will be back with the Patriots for the 2012 season. "They believe that he'll spend this offseason immersing himself in the playbook, familiarizing himself with the Patriots' offense," explained Schefter. "They're going to bring all these wide receivers in and let them compete in training camp and the best receivers will play." The Patriots are reportedly working with Ochocinco on a restructured contract. ------------------- I think once he gets the system down he will be a good asset to this team. Discuss
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Good. That is what I thought would happen. The money wouldn't make sense to let him go, nor the investment in time. 

He got a lot of reps last season, was actually in great shape, and cutting bait now would be a waste of a season. 

He can only get better, and (to be frank) Branch seems to be more physically decayed each season. I love him, and his contributions here, but I don't feel great about him coming in as the sole option. 

And man, I know this wish has been whispered before here, but if Ocho could catch on, the offense would just have another great option. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I like Adams enthusiasm, but 3 things for me. 1.) Chad will be on a reality show this year regarding his wedding 2.) Branch is back as well as Stallworth. 2 guys who will definately have more knowledge and experience than he has and I dont see how he creates more chemistry with Brady then Branch or Stallworth can 3.) Brady only has so much time to babysit and I would think most of his time will be devoted to getting Lloyd up to speed as he is the most talented at this point as well highest paid of the 3. The lone positive I can throw out there is I saw a guy in Ocho last year who still had skills. I also saw a guy in O'Brien who had a dislike for Ocho and wanted Underwood in there. This manifested when O'bie chastised Brady for saying something to Tiquan. Also a few games last year I noticed Brady talking to Ocho before games, saying "were gonna get u going today!!"  only to see Chad get just a few snaps. This told me Brady did want to get Chad involved, but O'bie the coordinator was not implementing him and despite what some say here, Brady is just the QB, not some selfish play changing Gun Slinger. So I think thats part of the reason Ocho is getting a 2nd chance IMO, and B.B. realized his coordinator didnt really give Chad an Opp'ty. Hopefully Josh doesnt have any pre-conceived notions about Ocho. That is my only saving grace on that.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

great post

it really should just come to down Stallworth and Ocho in a battle for #4.

Branch won't have to be a 50/700/5 guy, and prob can't be anymore, but if he see's half the snaps it will save his legs that much more and he can give you 30/300/3.

I doubt we see him much on 1st down... but in the 2nd/3rd with 5-8 to go... he's still money in route-running with sure hands. Brady can just put it through a tire to where only Branch's hands will be and its 1st and 10. He won't be doing that too much with Chad/Donte.

Lloyd meanwhile should be a 60 catch 1,000 guy

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

[QUOTE]I like Adams enthusiasm, but 3 things for me. 1.) Chad will be on a reality show this year regarding his wedding 2.) Branch is back as well as Stallworth. 2 guys who will definately have more knowledge and experience than he has and I dont see how he creates more chemistry with Brady then Branch or Stallworth can 3.) Brady only has so much time to babysit and I would think most of his time will be devoted to getting Lloyd up to speed as he is the most talented at this point as well highest paid of the 3. The lone positive I can throw out there is I saw a guy in Ocho last year who still had skills. I also saw a guy in O'Brien who had a dislike for Ocho and wanted Underwood in there. This manifested when O'bie chastised Brady for saying something to Tiquan. Also a few games last year I noticed Brady talking to Ocho before games, saying "were gonna get u going today!!"  only to see Chad get just a few snaps. This told me Brady did want to get Chad involved, but O'bie the coordinator was not implementing him and despite what some say here, Brady is just the QB, not some selfish play changing Gun Slinger. So I think thats part of the reason Ocho is getting a 2nd chance IMO, and B.B. realized his coordinator didnt really give Chad an Opp'ty. Hopefully Josh doesnt have any pre-conceived notions about Ocho. That is my only saving grace on that.

I hadn't heard that before. If it's true it's very interesting and would explain why he was so ineffective last season. Because when he was on the field I did see glimpses of being a playmaker. In the first giants game I remember he was targeted about 5 times I think and only had one catch (don't really remember) but he was open on most of his targets brady just missed him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Everyone is here to stay until the preseason roster cuts are made.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I hope they use this group like they did in 04' with Brown, Patten, Branch, Givens.

4 guys who were solid but not spectacular and all had their own skillset.

Lloyd the # 1

Wes the # 2

Move Deion to the slot in 3 wide sets. In 4 WR sets, put Stallworth n' Lloyd outside with  Branch and Wes inside. There are lots of formations and personell packages to keep the defense off guard.

Also Gonzy could factor in as well. He brings more speed to the slot position than Wes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No surprise. BB's welfare recipients remain, so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone is here to stay until the preseason roster cuts are made.
    Posted by glenr[/QUOTE]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Right, might as well have him in camp to compete.  They can gauge his progress then and see where he stands in relation to the other vet WR's they are bringing in.  Can't hurt....can it (financially)?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ocho is here to stay : ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Right, might as well have him in camp to compete.  They can gauge his progress then and see where he stands in relation to the other vet WR's they are bringing in.  Can't hurt....can it (financially)?
    Posted by jeffab[/QUOTE]

I think the only way Ocho goes is if he wants to go. A quick restructure brings him tightly in line with a 3rd WR salary. 

And as a third guy, he's good. 

The dissappointment was that he was supposed to be option A or B ... not C or D. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Ocho is here to stay:
    [QUOTE]According to Adam Schefter via Rotoworld... ESPN's Adam Schefter believes Chad Ochocinco "absolutely" will be back with the Patriots for the 2012 season. "They believe that he'll spend this offseason immersing himself in the playbook, familiarizing himself with the Patriots' offense," explained Schefter. "They're going to bring all these wide receivers in and let them compete in training camp and the best receivers will play." The Patriots are reportedly working with Ochocinco on a restructured contract. ------------------- I think once he gets the system down he will be a good asset to this team. Discuss
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Ocho must hold some compromising photos of BB. Regardless of the money situation, Ocho is worthless...and is taking up a roster spot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Killa, nice tag. Cam is a fav. of mine.

I heard the story almost towards the end of the season. I think its just a matter of a coach liking the young, hard working guy over the established vet in ocho who can be a hard to understand character. O'bie designed the plays.

As far as Ocho's skills. He is def. not washed up as he got open a few times vs the Giants like you said but brady missed em badly all day.

The thing about Chad is he CAN get open, He was just not able to be open where Brady wanted him to be. Brady likes his WR's to be very precised and controlled in their route progression. Brady wants to throw before you come out the break. He is going by when the WR starts to hitch or gear down and Ocho is an unorthdox route runner,and he doesnt always gear down the same way and that made it hard for Brady to trust him to be where he wanted. If they work hard on it, Ocho can def. be a factor, but he has to have the confidence from his coordinator as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I thought it was telling that Ocho said he Def. wanted to be back, despite telling Deion "it just didnt work out the way it was supposed to"  He said his legs are fine and he still has his speed.

I commend ocho because I could see in his face he was frustrated and humbled, but he didnt throw O'brien under the bus like he could have.

He knew Obie was gone to Penn St by that point and probably started looking to next year.

All I know is the guy came in when they wanted him in and did well for a guy who only had one game with significant snaps. People dont realize that guys like Caldwell, Gaffney were given every oppty and snap to succeed due to lack of targets at that time. Only thing he was guilty of was not beating out branch. There werent any snaps after that. #87, #81, #83 #84 were all ahead of him and had a rapport w/Brady.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I said it before and I'll say it again.... if they had played him in the superbowl they move the ball much better.  He easily looked like the best receiver in that game maybe besides Wes. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]Killa, nice tag. Cam is a fav. of mine. I heard the story almost towards the end of the season. I think its just a matter of a coach liking the young, hard working guy over the established vet in ocho who can be a hard to understand character. O'bie designed the plays. As far as Ocho's skills. He is def. not washed up as he got open a few times vs the Giants like you said but brady missed em badly all day. The thing about Chad is he CAN get open, He was just not able to be open where Brady wanted him to be. Brady likes his WR's to be very precised and controlled in their route progression. Brady wants to throw before you come out the break. He is going by when the WR starts to hitch or gear down and Ocho is an unorthdox route runner,and he doesnt always gear down the same way and that made it hard for Brady to trust him to be where he wanted. If they work hard on it, Ocho can def. be a factor, but he has to have the confidence from his coordinator as well.

" My ipod has no new rap music. Only old school stuff with a message."

And you like Cam LOL LOL LOL. Sure buddy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

What I expected. He's done everything that's been asked of him.  Get Brady to work with him instead of acting spoiled with HOF type receiving options.

If he does't work out by early Sept, cut him.  Put the onus on the player. Good players respond. He's a good player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I may be wrong but I think Ocho got dinged somewhere, it's permanent, his short-term memory is gone so he can't remember the huddle call, and if so he won't make the cut in August.  We'll see.

It's politically incorrect to say that a player has gotten brain damage.  If somebody pays me I'll be quiet about the issue, but for now I don't mind being in people's faces.  A class of damaged vets will soon enough sue the NFL for doing next to nothing about the problem.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it was telling that Ocho said he Def. wanted to be back, despite telling Deion "it just didnt work out the way it was supposed to"  He said his legs are fine and he still has his speed. I commend ocho because I could see in his face he was frustrated and humbled, but he didnt throw O'brien under the bus like he could have. He knew Obie was gone to Penn St by that point and probably started looking to next year. All I know is the guy came in when they wanted him in and did well for a guy who only had one game with significant snaps. People dont realize that guys like Caldwell, Gaffney were given every oppty and snap to succeed due to lack of targets at that time. Only thing he was guilty of was not beating out branch. There werent any snaps after that. #87, #81, #83 #84 were all ahead of him and had a rapport w/Brady.

Exactly. He was the 5th receiving option. It's not like Gaffney where we needed a #2 flanker badly and Gaffney had tons of reps there.

Ocho outperformed Gaffney in less reps. Each had to learn on the fly, but Gaffney had more reps.

Brady should be in there for mini camp working with him and Lloyd on the flanks.  Work the flanks more. This year was the first year in a while, where I saw Brady basically only look down the hasharks and not really target the flanks.

We lost in the SB due to not implementing him and of course running BJGE 9 total times (before his last carry).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm pretty sure Ocho has been studying his playbook like crazy this off season and I think he will succeed this coming season.  I'm looking for a big season from Ocho.  The dudes ego will not let him fail like he did last season.  You could tell at the superbowl media day that he was not happy with how the season played out.  Look for him to have a major impact this season. Wlker, Lloyd, Stallworth, Branch, Ocho, Gronk and Hernandez, WOW!  gonna light up the scoreboard this season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]What I expected. He's done everything that's been asked of him.  Get Brady to work with him instead of acting spoiled with HOF type receiving options. If he does't work out by early Sept, cut him.  Put the onus on the player. Good players respond. He's a good player.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Is it possible you can make a single post that doesn't blame Brady for every inadequacy of every guy on the team? It's really getting tired. Even UD6 isn't anywhere near this anal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]What I expected. He's done everything that's been asked of him.  Get Brady to work with him instead of acting spoiled with HOF type receiving options. If he does't work out by early Sept, cut him.  Put the onus on the player. Good players respond. He's a good player.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Your a clown. Anything involving the passing game goes to taking jabs at Brady. I'm sure Brady has the last say when Ocho barely is on the field and doesn't even suit up for game. But hey..you can't possible blame your binky Belichick for that. He has no say. It's all Brady's fault.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ocho is here to stay : Your a clown. Anything involving the passing game goes to taking jabs at Brady. I'm sure Brady has the last say when Ocho barely is on the field and doesn't even suit up for game. But hey..you can't possible blame your binky Belichick for that. He has no say. It's all Brady's fault.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Passing game? He blames Brady for the defense being bad! I'm surprised he didn't blame him for the storm driven power outages back in the fall.

Sections
Shortcuts