ochocinco vs steve smith vs draft vs do nothing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

ochocinco vs steve smith vs draft vs do nothing

assuming ne is interested in bringing in another wr, what route would you prefer bb goes?

chad johnson wants out of cincy, steve smith wants out of carolina, do we say no and draft a receiver? are we set at receiver and should focus on other positions?

i really like the idea of adding steve smith and his speed as ne's #1 receiver.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

Re: ochocinco vs steve smith vs draft vs do nothing

I would say if you can grab either one for a 4th rounder it would be great.
    I seem to think that Carolina may want a higher tag on Smith given what he is capable of and paired with Brady it could be a 30 40 TD season cold, that being said - they also need a lot of help and SS is not going to help them win any games as their O-line is a joke and their QB does not have the time to wait for him to get open so it could be plausable.
    Mngmt at Cincy did not let him walk a couple years ago so it should be interesting to see what happens tomorrow, maybe they treat like baseball and get something while you can? Like Carolina they are trying to re-build and there is a ton of problems over there starting at the top so they may be looking to deal him away??
    After Chad Jackson and passing on Bryant last year there is no way BB goes after unproven reciever talent, BB does not like Pre-Madona's but is fond of Ocho-stinko so I seem to think that he would rather have Ocho over Ssmith, plus smith has been hurt alot in recent years and is much less explosive. 
    I think Ocho would be a better fit in NE as he is familiar with the AFC Defenses and CB's plus he is a bit crafty.
    Either way the highest I would trade would be our 3rd pick or a 4th nothing more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

First, I don't think we are set at WR. Too many question marks. Don't know if Branch can last an entire season injury free, don't know if Tate is going to step up and be a decent #2 or #3, and jury is out on Price yet. Welker is 1 year away from FA, etc., etc. I would say our WR corps has some major question marks...

With the collection of WR's we have on the team and what I noted above, I would like to see us go down 2 routes simultaneosouly. 
    1. Draft a replacement this year for Welker/Branch. I don't think we can count on Edelman to be that guy. I would look to draft Randall Cobb in round 2. Insurance policy against Welker and Branch should 1 go down this year, and he starts next year for either if Branch retires and we lose Welker to FA. We'd have to make room, so I'm thinking I would release Slater. I think we can replace him on ST.

2. Pursue an FA. Of the ones you mention, I'll take Ocho for a year or two. Tough deciding on Smith vs Ocho. If Ocho can keep his head on straight and not be a total diva, I like his skill set and size as compared to Smith. I am hoping Price can develop into an Ocho like WR. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

im not hot on Chad johnson. He had trouble getting stats even with To lining up across from him so i dont see how much of an impact he will bring to new england, He would also need to cut back on the excessive celebrations. 

Steve smith is a volitile reciever, he has anger issues, but if he works on that and we can get him cheap sure why not.

As for drafting, maybe in the later rounds but i want a passrush and some new offensive line pieces.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think bolstering the perimeter WR position is a priority. There just isn't enough talent there to justifiy going into a season like last. Branch, Tate, Price is really one of the worst groups in the entire NFL. 

I don't think adding aging vets is the issue there either, but they need to add something to make it more competitive.

It is about the same as the OLB situation IMO. They have Hernandez, TBC, and Ninkovich, but come on, not one of those players is great, or even very good. 

At least at other potential spots they have some talent in the wings. OL needs some help, but it isn't in shambles (yet), and while RB is short a few players, they have one quality starter in BJGE and an absolute all-star 3rd down back in Woody. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i'd trade a 4th or late 3rd for smith and hope that chad johnson gets cut by the bengals, then i would bring them both hopefully into camp and see who wins the one roster spot.  I do think smith is the better overall WR though and has more years left.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

You know that BB is going to trade picks. So why not grad an extra 4th & trade a forth for Ochocinco & Smith.  Ochocinco, Smith & Welker could be amazing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

If I couldn't get AJ green or J Jones I'd go free agency this year & get an experienced WR because of the learning curve & short pre season for players to get acclimented ....use the later picks in the draft to either move up or trade them for next year.....

I have no preference who we get between the 2 of them (Chad/Smith) as either would work & Bill loves proven Vetran recievers....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Atrue pass rushing threat at OLB and at least three draftees on the OL.one OT,one OG and one who can play either as I am beginning to fell that there is no way Mankins comes back(stupid on both sides)I believe all three could start and excel at least by their second year.Unless they can trade up for Quinn,I keep our first three picks and forget moving picks this year for picks in 2012 because who knows what will occur.I do go Watt or Jordan at seventeen if either is there and OLB in the second round<hoping for Brooks(possible moving a late second and a 4th or 5th to move up from their seond,second round pick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

No on the old WRs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Do nothing for WR, unless maybe the perfect receiver drops to the fourth round or deeper.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i think you can remove steve smith from this thread, and add some other names. i could see us making a serious run at sidney rice. and depending on what arizona does in the draft and free agency....i could see larry fitz demanding a trade. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I would bring in Steve Smith but without a CBA in place it will be tough.

I saw an interview a last year I think, Smith asked the Panthers to bring in a guy who he could mold into a #1.  He was ready and matured to become a mentor.  He's also got some left in the tank, I think Smith could take both Tate and Price and show them how to be a tough WR who can go deep.

There's few better WRs at releasing at the LOS, that's one of Tate's problems.  He lets CBs redirect him and throws off his timing.  Ocho I like even with all his off field self marketing but with all he's got going on will he have time to mentor players?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would like to see the Pat's use their 2 nd and lower round picks to try to trade for Cinco, Fitzgerald and Peyton Hillis. 

Use the first two for the best defensive players available

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would rather NE draft Torrey Smith than get Steve Smith....this team needs to get younger and cheaper rather than older and more expensive. SS wa great... and might have a season or two left ... but he is a stopgap ..and an expensive one at that. The youth movement is working ... thy should stick to it. 

Sections
Shortcuts