O'Connell Has the Stuff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

[Quote]
    The Q is - does anyone know what O'Connell can do if he's on the bench. We already know what Cassell can't do on the field.
    [/Quote]

Great, GREAT summation...and I agree, This IS and Should Be the Final, Complete, End-All-Be-All, Overall Question... It's unbelievable that this Q, is one Cassel Supporters dance around and fail to ask...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from radosox. Show radosox's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

I was hoping with the bye week that BB was going to do something. Bring in another QB or give more practice time to KO (we will see, they start working the game plan tomorrow). The Pats have way to much talent at receiver including the TE's and RB's, to have someone of Cassells limitted talent leading the offense.

Remeber this is the coach that stuck with Brady when Bledsoe got healthy and went back to Brady in the Super Bowl after Bledsoe played well in the AFC championship game, when Brady was hurt.

BB is going to play the QB he feels is going to give them the best chance to win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

[Quote][Quote]
    The Q is - does anyone know what O'Connell can do if he's on the bench. We already know what Cassell can't do on the field.
    [/Quote]

Great, GREAT summation...and I agree, This IS and Should Be the Final, Complete, End-All-Be-All, Overall Question... It's unbelievable that this Q, is one Cassel Supporters dance around and fail to ask...[/Quote]and if o-connel stinks in his debut then what[ oh it was his first game exscuse]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

"He ain't gonna win games! He is horrible. How many games do we have to lose before we make a q-back change?"

He has won two games, just incase you didnt watch and How many game does he have to lose before we make a change? Apparently according to you only one game.

Listen I am not saying i dont agree with you on some points, i agree that as far as talent goes OC is the better QB then Cassel and I do think at some point this season we will see OC in the game as the starter but to call jof Cassels job after one bad game is too much. Let me ask you this, if we win the next 7 games we play which would be hard cause it is a very hard 7 game stretch but we only win those games by 7 or by 3 are you still going to call for his job? even though he has won us all those games? It just seems like people are too concerned with scoring points and getting stats. If he can win games i dont care how pretty they are.

And I have to dissagree with you when you say that you dont think more reps will help this kid. I am a coach and I am a player and i have been playing football since i was 8 years old and Matt Cassel is not a bad QB, he has all the talent of a starting QB, he might not have the vision as you said but field vision is one of those things that you can teach. And to say you cant teach that is insane because there have been HOF QB's that started their careers eyeing down WR's take Steve Young for an example, when he was drafted out of BYU he went to Tampa and they gave up on him for reasons like he eyed down his receivers too much, then he was traded to San Fran where he was coached by one of the best to ever coach Bill Walsh and he got to play behind one of the the all time greats if not the greatest QB of all time Joe Montana and boom all of a sudden Steve Young became a much better QB. I am not saying Cassel is a Steve Young I am just saying when you have a coaching staff as good as the one we got QB vision can 100% be tought to a guy like Cassel. And a lot of media people still think that as the season goes on this kid is going to get better and better so give him a shot. If he loses the next two games then yes i say we put OC in as the #1 QB but give the guy a shot. Quitting on him after one loss is not giving him a fair shot at changing your mind and you should want that, you should want to see Cassel come out and shock you and change your mind but you are leaving no room for that you sound like even if he came out and looked great this week you would still want him to sit. That is just the way it seems and to quit on him now just wouldnt be a smart move.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

[Quote]"He ain't gonna win games! He is horrible. How many games do we have to lose before we make a q-back change?"

He has won two games, just incase you didnt watch and How many game does he have to lose before we make a change? Apparently according to you only one game.

Listen I am not saying i dont agree with you on some points, i agree that as far as talent goes OC is the better QB then Cassel and I do think at some point this season we will see OC in the game as the starter but to call jof Cassels job after one bad game is too much. Let me ask you this, if we win the next 7 games we play which would be hard cause it is a very hard 7 game stretch but we only win those games by 7 or by 3 are you still going to call for his job? even though he has won us all those games? It just seems like people are too concerned with scoring points and getting stats. If he can win games i dont care how pretty they are.

And I have to dissagree with you when you say that you dont think more reps will help this kid. I am a coach and I am a player and i have been playing football since i was 8 years old and Matt Cassel is not a bad QB, he has all the talent of a starting QB, he might not have the vision as you said but field vision is one of those things that you can teach. And to say you cant teach that is insane because there have been HOF QB's that started their careers eyeing down WR's take Steve Young for an example, when he was drafted out of BYU he went to Tampa and they gave up on him for reasons like he eyed down his receivers too much, then he was traded to San Fran where he was coached by one of the best to ever coach Bill Walsh and he got to play behind one of the the all time greats if not the greatest QB of all time Joe Montana and boom all of a sudden Steve Young became a much better QB. I am not saying Cassel is a Steve Young I am just saying when you have a coaching staff as good as the one we got QB vision can 100% be tought to a guy like Cassel. And a lot of media people still think that as the season goes on this kid is going to get better and better so give him a shot. If he loses the next two games then yes i say we put OC in as the #1 QB but give the guy a shot. Quitting on him after one loss is not giving him a fair shot at changing your mind and you should want that, you should want to see Cassel come out and shock you and change your mind but you are leaving no room for that you sound like even if he came out and looked great this week you would still want him to sit. That is just the way it seems and to quit on him now just wouldnt be a smart move.[/Quote]not to mention it starts With the O-line.if they give who-ever time.he will make the play.not to mention we need the running game going to give the QB less pressure.all these problems that cassel has dealt with.the o-line,and no running game.people think all this will change with O-connel.survey says ehhhhh.[ well o-connel can run.you got that right.running for his life.]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

[Quote]I will stand behind BB because he is the best coach in the game today. I am just saying Cassel has had plenty NO more than plenty of chances to play QB for the Patriots. Like I said before - He has played against second and third string players for many many preseason snaps and I have to think 70% of these guys are home watching football like us. Ok maybe 60% of the guys are home. All I am saying is enough is enough. BB knows alot but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck IT'S A DUCK!!!!! BB Cassel is not an NFL quarter back. Look people - There are so many sports writers saying it. I am not saying I agree with them most of the time - BUT when they all say the same thing it is pretty much the truth!!

Word on the street is Cassel is no NFL QB - Lets move on to a new direction and give the rookie a shot. Which by the way I don't see working but it is our best option based on what we have. I feel we need to work in a vet QB some how. Lets don't give away the farm but lets try a little bit to get a vet QB.

Cassel my boy - You have had a gift given to you being in the NFL so you need to buy BB a nice dinner and thank him for all he has done for you and MOVE ON!!!!![/Quote]

Killa: I understand where you are coming from and all are fair points. My argument is KO seems to have much more natural ability at the QB position than Cassel. It's probably due to the fact he has played a TON of football over the last several years while Cassel played virtually none except garbage time (which he threw a pic) and pre-season.

If Cassel proves me wrong against the 49'ers, Nobody will be happier than me! However, if he continues to fail at making an explosive offese explode, than I think it's time to get KO the ball and see what he can do against the Chargers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

Kmax my bad I thought he was drafted right out of college either way he was drafted by Tampa and traded to the 49ers after they lost faith in him and once he had a great coach and great QB to learn from he became a better QB. Delux I agree that OC is by far the better of the two, he played all 4 years in college and that gives him the edge plus he can keep the play alive with his legs which would help the O line but I still think it is too early to take Cassel out. Cassel knows why more of the playbook and once he gets his legs under him and stops looking down his wideouts he will be able to do more then OC can as OC only knows about 30 plays right now. Or at least in the past rookie QB's are useally only given a hand full of plays in their first year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tredawnt. Show tredawnt's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

Matt Cassell is the QB for this team right now. Got to except it and deal with it.
    Go Patriots!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tredawnt. Show tredawnt's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

Matt Cassell is the QB for this team right now. Got to except it and deal with it.
    Go Patriots!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

I think everyone here is spoiled. I can remember a time when we'd feel lucky to win two games in half the season, much less two out of three! And in the end, they have only lost ONE game! And at that the defense gave up 38 points! Not many QBs can win a game where the defense does that. Tom Brady would probably be less than .500 if they gave up 38 every game. So while Cassel is no Tom Brady, it's not like he's Ryan Leaf, either! Let's be honest, people. Has nobody out there ever failed to "dazzle" his (or her) boss on their THIRD DAY ON THE JOB??? I'm not happy with Cassel's red zone performance, either. Or his seeming inability to get the ball to Moss. Very few QBs do well in their first year starting. We got extremely lucky with Brady. Even Aaron Rogers looked like crap in his fourth start in Tampa. Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his first year. And like Taz stated, Steve Young sucked so bad the Bucs traded him off. We all know this team will struggle without Brady. But to throw a rookie in there is not the answer. At the least Cassel deserves a chance to improve. The Miami game was a fluke. We've seen beatdowns from them before, even when they've been a lousy team. And whoever suggested BB is only keeping Cassel in so he doesn't have to admit he misjudged him needs to rethink that position. After the ride we've had for the last seven years you'd think we'd have more faith in him. I know it's hard to accept a loss such as last week's. But if every QB who had one bad game was benched, there would be a lot less busts in Canton! Let's all get a grip here. They are still a game ahead of both Indy and SD. The Titans and Bills will not keep up the pace for 16 games. Now if they lose to teams like AZ and Oakland, and it's because Cassel can't come through (rather than the D giving up 38 points), then I'd say it might be time for a change. But the end of September is way too early to hit the panic button. I have to believe this team has the talent and pride to straighten things out. Let's face it, based on the preseason, we ALL were down on Cassel. I think we as fans owe it to the coach who has given us three Lombardis at least the benefit of the doubt for a couple more games!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

test

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

Bub you are spot on, if the kid takes us on a losing streak then of course you give O Connel a shot but after one game it is not time to yank Cassel out of the game, hell Brett Farve has had worse games then Cassel had last week so dont panic yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

The statistics (that I didn't look up nor have the desire to) show that QB's who sit thier first year and learn usually are a lot more successful than QB's who start right away.

There are always exceptions but look at how many first round QB's who start right away are bust's or take a few years getting hammered to work out all the kinks.

Ok so I didn't use statistics at all only memory and conventional wisdom so if you want to you can Prove me wrong and I'll enjoy reading your research and gladly admit that I'm wrong!

So with that in mind I'd rather keep O'Con on the bench learning until at least the second half of the season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

I think that is the plan uncommon, i think they want to give Matt the chance to make this his team but if in the second half of the season we are not getting it done then O connel will come off the bench. either that or once Cassel loses us 4 games which ever comes first. I think if he loses us 4 games that is the number when we say ok its time to make a change before it is too late

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

Its definitly tricky trying to predict how the season will go. No one really knows what the criteria for Cassell getting benched is and BB certainly ain't telling anybody until he does get benched.

The thing that surprises me the most is human nature. None of us predicted that Cassel would go 16-0 yet everyone is up in arms after his first loss. Yes the loss was ugly but he didn't contribute much towards the game either good or bad.

I said 11-5 after Brady was out for the year... That means I think theres 4 more losses but I don't know to who or how. Each week I think the Pats can win. I don't ever go into a game predicting a loss but in the back of my mind I know they won't win them all. I guess most people are just so upset because it was a game they thought was a walk in the park. Thats why people say "any given Sunday"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajinflorida. Show ajinflorida's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

Again, watching Matt for 6 games (I'm including the 3 preseason fake games) are enough to form an opinion. How many games do you have to watch? And I disagree with the thread that thinks you can teach a QB to see the field and to make plays- if you could, then QB's around the league wouldn't be losing their jobs. You either got it or you don't. Today, even Mike Reiss says the problem with the team is scoring. And don't be giving me that OK played in a weak college conference. How much did TB get a chance to play as a backup? If you're waiting for Cassell to show us his stuff, you missed the train. It done left the station.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

ajinflorida bro are you serious the team is 2-1 and Cassell will definitely get better as he gains more experience.

Look we all know his future with the team is most likely done after this year but he really isn't playing that bad. You want to pin all the scoring on his shoulder but just look at the Miami game... 1st and goal on the 7 and the line gives up back to back sacks. Yeah thats his fault. Where were the running backs that game.

If a QB either has it or doesn't have it according to you then please explain how peyton manning went 3-13 and then the next year 13-3. Looks to me like he matured a little bit over the course of the year.

All QB's can get better... but whether they do or not depends on their level of committment, coaching, talent around them, .... its not black and white.

Would you consider Carson Palmer a good or decent QB... well his team is 0-4. Cassell is at least 2-1 so give him a break.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

In the history of teh NFL their are many examples of QB's doing very bad at the beginning of their careers only to be cut or traded and then they go on to be good QB's. It happened with Jim Plunket didnt it? he was the Pats QB for a while and did a bad job and then went to teh Raiders and won a super bowl, i mean correct me if im worng.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

He also had a lot better team around him in Oakland than he did in NE. Even Eli Manning, with a good supporting cast, never really got it together until last year. As we've mentioned, his brother was 3-13 in his first season. Very few QBs have "instant" success in the NFL. Guys like Brady and Roethlisberger are hard to find. And even these two most recent first year success stories didn't "light it up", but played smart and made some clutch plays. In any case, I'm sticking to my position. You simply cannot write a QB off after ONE loss! I may change my tune if he doesn't improve in October, but it's way too early to make a desperation move. And I'd rather O'Connell know the system better before being tossed out there. Especially if he is the future of the franchise.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

bub, you said perfectly. Successful young QB's don't light it up....they play "smart" football.

That's what Brady and Rothlisberger did. They rarely threw for over 200yds.

But they don't make the big mistakes. That's where Cassell appers to depart from those others.

I hope i'm wrong, but he reminds me too much of Bledsoe...making the big mistakes, but without the big accurate arm.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

But they don't make the big mistakes. That's where Cassell appers to depart from those others.

What "big mistakes" has Cassel made? Sure, that INT was a very ill-advised throw, but even Brady had 12 picks in 01. He doesn't have Tom's pocket presence, but that's something which can be learned. He hasn't had great protection, and very little support from the running game. For those who say he can't hit Moss deep, I believe the coaches haven't had him try. That pass from his end zone in the KC game looked pretty good. We are all looking for him to be another Brady, and he'll never be that. Had it been the inept Miami offense of 07 they would probably have won that game. It seems the biggest problem on offense is the inability to get 7 in the red zone instead of 3. And again, the running game needs to improve to turn that around. As far as arm strength and accuracy, Cassel does have these things. His biggest obstacle is to improve his field vision and be able to feel the pressure better. While he does hold the ball too long sometimes, to compare him to Bledsoe is absurd.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

O'Connell Has the Stuff

The guy has thrown 1 pick all season, and had one fumble both of which where the fault of the O line, he would not have thrown that pick had he not been surounded by Miami players and if he had not have been so presured by that D he wouldnt have scrambled and therefore would not have fumbled the ball away. He has made ver few mistakes other then taking the sack and or looking down his WR and even with those he has still only thrown one pick.

Sections
Shortcuts