Off season plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Off season plan

I think the following plan for the off season would be great:

Cut/let go:
    - A. Thomas (what a bust. Thanks for nothing!)
    - S. Springs (too old and too many injuries - and too slow)
    - L. Maroney (Lack of talent)
    - M. Light (Too expensive - and Vollmer is younger and stronger)
    - Banta Cain (He had his one year wonder. Time to move on)
    - T. Wheatley and J. Wilhite (enough is enough. They had their chances but failed. Over and out.)

Sign/keep:
    - Wilfork (Too important for the defense and one of the few defensive leaders.)
    - L. Bodden (Hell be even stronger next season. Great speed and attitude)
    - J. Peppers (That should create some needed pass rush!!)
    - D. Burgess (Hell get a chance to shine again, when Peppers is on the other side)
    - K. Dansby (A much needed leader on defensive and very consistent. Strong ILB team with Dansby, Mayo and McKenzie)
    - L. Sheppard (His days in NY are over. And his got talent and speed)
    - A. Boldin (Use a 2nd round pick on him. Then well have an explosive offense again. Who would you cover??) - an alternative could be to take Stallwoth, which is a cheaper solution.

Draft:
    - 1. rd: OLB - (A guy who can make an impact right away together with Peppers and Burgess)
    - 2 rd: RB - A speedy and gutsy guy who can learn from Morris, Faulk and Taylor.
    - 2 rd: WR - A fast rising talent who can learn from Moss in his last season as a Patriot.
    - 2 rd: Trade for A. Boldin. If Stallworth solution is used then draft a promosing TE.

Well doesnt that just sound like a good plan?? :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Off season plan

Cut/let go:
    - A. Thomas (what a bust. Thanks for nothing!) Agree let him go or trade for anything you can get but he's not back.
    - S. Springs (too old and too many injuries - and too slow) Yes we need the roster spot for a younger playmaker.
    - L. Maroney (Lack of talent) He has some trade value, BJGE is the wild card I think he will get more carries next year making Maroney a trade bait.
    - M. Light (Too expensive - and Vollmer is younger and stronger) Problem is there's no RT on the roster, if they don't feel they can get a starter in FA or the draft they roll this year with Light at LT and Voll at RT but look for them to draft a RT to develop and add depth.  Will start in 2011, I like Jared Veldheer 6'6" 314lbs Hillsdale.
    - Banta Cain (He had his one year wonder. Time to move on) He needs to stay but not as a starter, IMO he wants to stay in NE and will not command a large salary.  He will be here in 2010.
    - T. Wheatley and J. Wilhite (enough is enough. They had their chances but failed. Over and out.)  Wheatley, released has not shown anything and hurt too much.  Wilhite, IMO if he moves to be a nickle CB he will be ok.  He had success at that position in his rookie year I think he stays and plays as #3 or #4 CB.  He is in position just doesn't track the ball or make a play on the ball, with the new secondary coach this will be fixed. 

Sign/keep:
    - Wilfork (Too important for the defense and one of the few defensive leaders.) I don't think even with the franchise tag this will happen, will be a Branch type situation he'll be traded draft day pending he signs his franchise tag.  Draft Cam Thomas 6'5" 330lbs in the 2nd.
    - L. Bodden (Hell be even stronger next season. Great speed and attitude) Agree but I don't think they'll give him the money other teams will throw at him, with a weak FA class Bodden will be one of the highest rated players available.
    - J. Peppers (That should create some needed pass rush!!) BAD IDEA!  guy is 30 will command a huge salary and has never played OLB.  He does not have any coverage skills and I don't like the type of person he is.  He gets unhappy he disappears in games.  No thank you, sign Jason Taylor.
    - D. Burgess (Hell get a chance to shine again, when Peppers is on the other side) We are in the minority, I think he was coming around late in the season and with a full year in the system I expect him to be much better and be worth what the Pats paid for him
    - K. Dansby (A much needed leader on defensive and very consistent. Strong ILB team with Dansby, Mayo and McKenzie) Love Dansby but he will be expensive again probably will be the highest ranked FA, if we can get him I'm all for it.  I think if we don't we draft Spikes in the 1st round.
    - L. Sheppard (His days in NY are over. And his got talent and speed) Move is to get younger, I don't know if he has anything left there's a reason for him to be benched.  Would stay away from him
    - A. Boldin (Use a 2nd round pick on him. Then well have an explosive offense again. Who would you cover??) - an alternative could be to take Stallwoth, which is a cheaper solution.  Boldin no, he has only had 2 seasons which he has played in every game.  He gets injured and misses 2 to 5 games a season why pay so much when you can draft a stud in the 4th (Riley Cooper) and get a vet FA like Holt.  Stallworth,, he's been out of football for over a year I don't know about this one I'm on the fence.

Draft:
    - 1. rd: OLB - (A guy who can make an impact right away together with Peppers and Burgess) No OLB worth the pick here, my pick is MLB Spikes Florida will bring some needed toughness and would make the middle a no running zone.
    - 2 rd: RB - A speedy and gutsy guy who can learn from Morris, Faulk and Taylor.
    Here I like Pouncy C/G Florida, he would be an upgrade over Koppen
    - 2 rd: WR - A fast rising talent who can learn from Moss in his last season as a Patriot.   I have Austen Lane OLB, a WR is an option although there are some players in later rounds who have great hands and would be excellent value in the 4th or even 6th round.  Look for them to try the FA thing again, I know it didn't work with Galloway but Holt is a much different player and has played in a similar O.
    - 2 rd: Trade for A. Boldin. If Stallworth solution is used then draft a promosing TE.  No Bolding trade, here I draft Cam Thomas NT 6'5" 330lbs great against the run and plays on the Os side of the LOS. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I agree on most. 
    Disagree
    Maroney will be back.  He is a cheap roster spot.
    Peppers is too expensive and too old
    They need a speedy OLB.  TBC is okay but not a 3 down OLB.  Keep him for situational pass rush.
    Keep Light one more year.  OL is going to change this year with Neal gone.  Too many changes can cause confusion.
    The defense is not far from being great again.  A pass rush from the OLB position will make all the difference.
    The Offense needs youth. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Cut Matt Light with no replacement?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I hope you have a couple of dump trucks full of cash. I agree that Thomas,Springs,
    Light and Wheatley should go along with Burgess. I would keep TBC and Wilhite for backup duty, ST's and spot starts, and I'd keep Maroney until the OL is fixed.

I agree with keeping VW and Bodden, no to Peppers and Sheppard and yes to Dansby.... and Boldin would be nice but very expensive (see dump trucks above)

draft: OL,DL,LB,DB  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeeMS. Show LeeMS's posts

I agree with most in that Julius Peppers is a bad idea in many ways: money, attitude, age, ability, et al.

Lawrence Maroney could be traded, but not cut, he's a former #1 pick and you don't often see them cut.  Fred Taylor may or may not stick around. 

Bodden is a keeper, possibly Springs at least into camp.  Burgess is not an easy call -costly in picks, but production is almost negligible.  Now seeing AD released would not be a surprise.  He was a product of the defense while in Baltimore, but didn't work out for various reasons in NE.  TBC could stick around.

Tyrone McKenzie could be a contributor, but I think that Gary Guyton is a situational guy, not an every down player.  I wonder if Shawn Crable will stick?  Hard to believe.

The secondary will look different and don't discount the addition of Corwin Brown - he could make a difference and unless something changes in camp, Wilhite is indeed a 5th or 6th DB. 

I predict that there will be some major roster changes and an influx of young talent via the draft.  I can see Wilfork being signed just as easily as traded, but we'll see Brady get an extention.  Mankins will be back and I imagine a line with Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal/Connolly (if Neal doesn't retire) and Vollmer.  I can't really see Benjamin Watson back, but I could envision either Deon Branch or Stallworth returning. 

This team will have a different look and a better defense, if they can get and stay healthy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

im all for keeping light, but at rt... id like them to use vollmer at lt. he was really coming on last year til his injury... light, just to often, gets burned by top flite speed rushers on teh left side....
    why not throw him on the right side instead?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Sounds good, but I think you may be a bit too optimistic about the chances of getting all those guys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i don't want peppers, oor sheppard. i'd rather keep vw, but not at the price he's demanding if that rumor of him declining that huge bonus is true. if that's teh case, then a nt has to be one of the positions that absolutely needs to be filled in the draft (vw could be tagged, but at that point he obviously has no future with the pats).

i like harley's draft focus, but i can be more flexible with the order. i want whoever is the best player on the board who can fill one of those four spots.

cam thomas offers ne some flexibility at #22 (could be vw's heir, but allows ne not to move on the nt position until 47 or 53). i guess having to draft an nt this year means houston, whom i really like, will be off ne's radar.

if ne takes dansby (only if the price is right), the LB priority need moves inside. spikes becomes a good choice at 44, allowing ne to use the 22 for an OT. if they don't take a FA OLB, then #22 could be an OLB if not an OL.

while i believe the rb corps needs to be improved, i believe maroney is part of that improved running game. i believe in rb duos. and i believe there is a three-way trade scenario that makes it possible to get m barber if we send thomas to a team who can send a OL to dallas. having an old teammate to work with could help maroney. if no veteran rb is acquired, i would not mind using 53 on a RB, depending if whichever RB or CB is the best available at 53.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

In my opinion we need leadership (vocally) on the defense. Mayo is simply not the vocal type.....he is more like the silent warrior. Thats why I think we need to get leaders like Dansby or perhaps Antonio Pierce. We need players like Bruschi or Harrisson. Vocal leaders who shout and show great passion on defense.

What about trading J. Green and use Peppers as DE?

I really dont think we will be strong enough at OLB with TBC, a drafted rookie and Guyton. So at a minimum we need someone like J. Taylor. Overall I dont think Guyton is so great as some makes him. 

Remember eventhough we draft players in 1st and 2nd round they very seldom turn out to be great NFL players right away, so we definitely need some proven experience both at OLB and ILB in FA.

Sections
Shortcuts