Off subject. The flu

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Off subject. The flu

My family lives in ct.  They tell me that the flu is so bad there they is no room in hospitals for patients to go.  I'm in the Midwest and really nothing to speak of.  How about where you are?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Off subject. The flu

I've heard it's similar in Boston yet I don't know a single person who has the flu and a vast majority of us didn't get the shots. SOmetimes I wonder if they mass outbreak they report is real or not because I've never seen it or even know anyone affected by it. From what I hear though is you could get it whether you got the shot or not. They guessed wrong on the strain this year which might decrease symptoms if you actually got the flu, thinking it was closer to a bad cold, running the risk you could let it go on to long before seeing a doctor. So if you got the shot and you are feeling weaker flu like symptoms then go see a doctor immediately, it could actually be the flu!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Read Boston s really getting it too, I hope the players were smart enough to get the flu shot. I don't understand why people don't take the precaution, every drugstore, retailers ,grocery store, in my area offer the shots, and insurance pays for it. I'm in charlotte, nc-- not too bad yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

Read Boston s really getting it too, I hope the players were smart enough to get the flu shot. I don't understand why people don't take the precaution, every drugstore, retailers ,grocery store, in my area offer the shots, and insurance pays for it. I'm in charlotte, nc-- not too bad yet.

I'm wondering this with the players from Texas   It's going to be raw and wet.  They should be headed up to the north east today or tomorrow I'd think. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Game - I use to get terrible sick every time I got the flu shot. I haven't gotten it for 17 years because of how bad I use to get sick and I've never had the flu since I stopped taking the shot, for some people the shot can make you more sick then the actual flu itself.

Additionally, it's 50/50 if it even works and provides false confidence. They guess which strain is going to be the main strain every year. This year they guessed wrong. If you get the wrong strain then you initially weaken your immune system right after the shot, if you catch a cold within that time period your body is recovering from the shot then your immune system is playing catch up all winter and you run a higher risk of being sick all winter. Also if you get the flu with the wrong shot it will weaken the symptoms but not prevent the actual flu. With false confidence people overlook it thinking they got the shot so it can't be the flu it must be a bad cold and never get it checked out until they need to be hospitalized. The Flu shot isn't a cure all and certainly doesn't always prevent it. This they are saying that a good portion of the people in the hospitals actually got the shot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Game - I use to get terrible sick every time I got the flu shot. I haven't gotten it for 17 years because of how bad I use to get sick and I've never had the flu since I stopped taking the shot, for some people the shot can make you more sick then the actual flu itself.

Additionally, it's 50/50 if it even works and provides false confidence. They guess which strain is going to be the main strain every year. This year they guessed wrong. If you get the wrong strain then you initially weaken your immune system right after the shot, if you catch a cold within that time period your body is recovering from the shot then your immune system is playing catch up all winter and you run a higher risk of being sick all winter. Also if you get the flu with the wrong shot it will weaken the symptoms but not prevent the actual flu. With false confidence people overlook it thinking they got the shot so it can't be the flu it must be a bad cold and never get it checked out until they need to be hospitalized. The Flu shot isn't a cure all and certainly doesn't always prevent it. This they are saying that a good portion of the people in the hospitals actually got the shot.

The Flu shot isn't live anymore, it may have been at one time, I'm not sure.    You can't get sick from it, people still claim they do but it's probably coincidence or in thier heads.   The nasal spray is live but not the shot.

I think if you are elderly than it's probably a smart idea to get it.  That's what the CDC says and they track such things.  I've never heard of a healthy person dying from the Flu though outside of small children and the elderly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

It's true, I live in CT and had the flu two weeks ago. It's bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's probably my bias Shenanigan, because of past history of sickness. 17 years is a long time, but still at one point I was hospitalized for 3 days because of a flu shot and it left such a lingering memory I will never get one again. Actually I remember I use to get sick from colds and such a lot during my time of getting flu shots and since I haven't had more then a 24-48 hours bug. Say what you will but my friends who get flu shots are always sick in the winter and my friends and I who don't get them generally stay pretty healthy. Call it coincidence without correlation but it is fascinating

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Has anybody had the flu shot this year and can you testify as to whether it's actually efficient or not?  One of my friends got the flue shot about a month ago and a week later he had a fever, body aches, etc. but only lasted 3 days.  I understand that you can get brief/minor symptoms after getting a shot because technically the virus is in you, but I thought the whole objective of the shot was to NOT get sick at all.

Anybody else have this problem?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

The Flu shot isn't live anymore, it may have been at one time, I'm not sure.    You can't get sick from it, people still claim they do but it's probably coincidence or in thier heads.   The nasal spray is live but not the shot.

I think if you are elderly than it's probably a smart idea to get it.  That's what the CDC says and they track such things.  I've never heard of a healthy person dying from the Flu though outside of small children and the elderly.

I guess I probably should have read the whole thread before asking my question.  But to answer yours, I'm not sure if that's completely accurate.  Read my above post about one of my friends. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I've heard it's similar in Boston yet I don't know a single person who has the flu and a vast majority of us didn't get the shots. SOmetimes I wonder if they mass outbreak they report is real or not because I've never seen it or even know anyone affected by it. From what I hear though is you could get it whether you got the shot or not. They guessed wrong on the strain this year which might decrease symptoms if you actually got the flu, thinking it was closer to a bad cold, running the risk you could let it go on to long before seeing a doctor. So if you got the shot and you are feeling weaker flu like symptoms then go see a doctor immediately, it could actually be the flu!

Better put an onion next your bed. I wouldnt mess with no flu shots. I go natural. I think its propaganda to get everyone to get vaccinated if u ask me but oh well. There are many dangers to unkown vaccines and lest we forget that the Bush administration put things in the new laws like "we can come to your home and vaccinate you without telling you what it is"  Now why would they go an add like that???  Hmmmmm

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I also live in CT and:

1) I employ 25 people and have had 1/3 of my workforce out at one time or another with flu-like symptoms including one whose desk is 15 feet from mine;

2) I had a flu shot in November and (knock on wood) have not had the flu.

3) My wife is a librarian and also had a flu shot in November and despite near constant public contact several days a week (also knock on wood) has not had the flu.

And yes it is bad here this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

My wife and daughter got the flu shots and are just getting over being sick. It's bad down here in the DC area. I never got the shot either but just had a head cold. I've had so many shots while I was in the military I think my body is immune now. The flu has been going around here too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Anecdotally, yes.  I've heard many flu stories this year and I live in Boston.  Confirmed cases too, some of those I know had the mouth swab done and all. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Better put an onion next your bed. I wouldnt mess with no flu shots. I go natural. I think its propaganda to get everyone to get vaccinated if u ask me but oh well. There are many dangers to unkown vaccines and lest we forget that the Bush administration put things in the new laws like "we can come to your home and vaccinate you without telling you what it is"  Now why would they go an add like that???  Hmmmmm

lol I'm not into conspericies at all but to many times in the last 15 years we heard about the world is ending flu outbreaks (swine, bird, etc) and personally it's never affected my life or anyone I know. In the grand scheme a couple hundred people I know isn't much but if you think about it, if it was such a mass outbreak as it tends to be reported then you'd think every person would at least know someone affected by it somehow. Personal I don't think it's any worse then it was 20 or 30 yrs ago but the news sensationalizes it for higher ratings and people just assume since the news is reporting it in increasing amounts from previous years with "special" reports and the build up to these reports that the outbreaks and serverity is a lot higher then previous years. I talked with my doctor about this and even he's frustrated by the news coverage. As Shen said, basically only really young kids and ederly need the shot and the amount of reported cases/deaths haven't changed from year to year but the amount of coverage has increased and the fear of the flu has increased to the point where doctors offices are struggling to keep up with demand at times when in most cases the shots won't provide any useful benefit. Given the germaphobic fear people seemed to have developed (think of all the anti-bacterial everything now a days) I can understand his frustration when paniced masses fill his office for every runner nose. The funnier thing is in our anti-bacterial world we live in the amount of sickness hasn't changed, so what affect has all this wipe everything down really culture really done?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I also live in CT and:

1) I employ 25 people and have had 1/3 of my workforce out at one time or another with flu-like symptoms including one whose desk is 15 feet from mine;

3) My wife is a librarian and also had a flu shot in November and despite near constant public contact several days a week (also knock on wood) has not had the flu.

You married the librarian? Living the dream...

I also had the shot (very early, at my annual physical back in September) and have not had any symptoms all year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I guess I probably should have read the whole thread before asking my question.  But to answer yours, I'm not sure if that's completely accurate.  Read my above post about one of my friends. 

I'm just going by what the CDC website says, it said you could get flu symptoms from the nasal spray but not the shot.  Even at that I think you have to consider that 90 year old ladies get this shot all the time and survive so perfectly healthy young men and women are probably very unlikely to get sick.  

I'm required to get it every year and I can't remember the last time I had the flu but that's not necessarily proof.  It's all anecdotal evidence really.  This guy gets the shot and gets sick, another guy doesn't get it and doesn't get sick.  Could be the guy that had the shot got sick from something else- who really knows.  There's probably statistics somewhere to show how often people with the flu shot get the flu.  

I probably wouldn't pay for it but I don't think it's some kind of scam and I don't think it's dangerous or even harmful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I'm just going by what the CDC website says, it said you could get flu symptoms from the nasal spray but not the shot.  Even at that I think you have to consider that 90 year old ladies get this shot all the time and survive so perfectly healthy young men and women are probably very unlikely to get sick.  

I'm required to get it every year and I can't remember the last time I had the flu but that's not necessarily proof.  It's all anecdotal evidence really.  This guy gets the shot and gets sick, another guy doesn't get it and doesn't get sick.  Could be the guy that had the shot got sick from something else- who really knows.  There's probably statistics somewhere to show how often people with the flu shot get the flu.  

I probably wouldn't pay for it but I don't think it's some kind of scam and I don't think it's dangerous or even harmful.

All very true.  Personally, I'll never get the flu shot.  I think you're fine if you try to eat relatively healthy, drink a lot of OJ, dress warm, exercise, etc. But what do I know.

The one time I regret not getting a shot is when the Swine Flu was going around.  Back in 2008 my sister got the Swine and had to come home from college for a week and then two weeks later, I got it.  Worst freaking sickness I've ever experienced.  I had a fever in excess of 104, my body felt like I had been in a plane wreck, and I lost 15 pounds.  It was such a nightmare.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

I also live in CT and:

You married the librarian? Living the dream...

I also had the shot (very early, at my annual physical back in September) and have not had any symptoms all year.

LOL - I married her before she became a librarian.  Clearly it was my boring influence that drove her to take refuge behind the counter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I had a flu shot the other day, with a Guiness chaser.  Or was that Bushmills?  I forget, it's a bit hazy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Flu mania!! Quick go buy flu shots that don't work because even if you get one, you'll still catch that common cold... this is big pharma at work with the help of big media.  Save your money on chicken soup instead, don't touch your face, wash your hands often and stay warm.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Friend of mine in Philly told me she was hospitalized for 4 days with fluid in the sac around the lungs. No history of asthsma or any other respiratory illness. She did not get the shot. Says Philly hospitals are jammed packed, and have kiosk clinics set up around the city.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

I got the flu shot and seemed to be holding up okay.

However, on Christmas Eve I started to come down with a cold. Sore throat, feeling cruddy, etc. I hit it hard and heavy. Made sure to take my vitamins, drank lots of airbornes, got plenty of fluids, etc, etc. I seemed to have fended it off, and although the symptoms would still pop up here and there, I never got really sick. 

This past Monday, though, I woke up and felt a little off. Sinus pressure, cough still lingering, and just a little under the weather. Come Monday afternoon I was starting to feel worse and worse, and by the time I was ready to go to bed I was full-on sick again. I woke up at 3:15 am Monday night/Tuesday morning and I was awake for an hour with an absolutely awful sore throat. 

I've just felt miserable the past two days. A bit fever'ish with the chills at times, sinus pressure, a bit of a cough, sore-thorat, lots of brown'ish-yellow discharge from my nose... just horrible. And then today I've been achy... back and neck in particular are stiff and sore.

I'm not sure if it's the flu, but it sure does stink.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Flu mania!! Quick go buy flu shots that don't work because even if you get one, you'll still catch that common cold... this is big pharma at work with the help of big media.  Save your money on chicken soup instead, don't touch your face, wash your hands often and stay warm.

I don't think cold causes colds, that was just a rumor spread by big oil to get us to buy heat.  Chicken soup does however cure the flu, but only if its Campbell's.  Mmmmmm mmmmm good

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Another thing to note... my father works for a company that does lots of scientific research and will often analyze, diagram, and predict certain things with regards to that which is subject to scientific research.

Anyhow, his coworker simulated the flu season a few months ago, and sure enough his work showed that it was going to be a bad flu season. 

Sections
Shortcuts