Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]
    Right there is the difference. If I sat down at Pizza Hut I'd still give 20% but I'm not giving 20% for take out same as I wouldn't give 20% for take-out at Chez FancyFood. And no cashiers make more money (per hour) than sitdown servers and typically don't work as hard (I've worked both ends and they don't) so no it's not nearly the same.

So, lets simplify things. Let's say you sit down for a meal at Pizza Hut vs. Chez FancyFood. Do you tip differently regardless of the cost of the bill?

[/QUOTE]

Did Chez FancyFood give more service? ie table side service? extra things like pouring wine and keeping win glass full on full bottle? deboning fish for you?

If all things equal they came took order, dropped off drink, dropped of food, cleaned up afterwards and that's it than yes I would tip them the same % wise. But, as you know fancy restaurants usaully have the server doing a lot more than most pizza hut locations who have help yourself salad bars and just drop you pizza and run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

and let's expand a little.  You witness both servers spit in your food. You gonna give the 12% obligatory tip?

Well since I'm walking out of the place and not paying for the food then no I wouldn't tip at all

but at that point it's not bad service that reduced the tip but an actually healthcode violation that would get the server fired and the restaurant fined badly. Bad service to me doesn't break laws or violations healthcodes but that they were unattentive and slow when they weren't packed or busy. Now you are going to extremes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    Did Chez FancyFood give more service? ie table side service? extra things like pouring wine and keeping win glass full on full bottle? deboning fish for you?

If all things equal they came took order, dropped off drink, dropped of food, cleaned up afterwards and that's it than yes I would tip them the same % wise. But, as you know fancy restaurants usaully have the server doing a lot more than most pizza hut locations who have help yourself salad bars and just drop you pizza and run.

Well, I'm assuming if equal service - you're the type of person who would tip each with 20% - and that you reward those who go the extra mile.

You see, the only difference is your reward scale.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

and let's expand a little.  You witness both servers spit in your food. You gonna give the 12% obligatory tip?

Well since I'm walking out of the place and not paying for the food then no I wouldn't tip at all

[/QUOTE]

LOL....it was a rhetorical question....didn't really expect a response. Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well, I'm assuming if equal service - you're the type of person who would tip each with 20% - and that you reward those who go the extra mile.

But they both start off at 20%. If they both gave the same amount of service then yes they'd both get the same but if one gives more service (ie server giving multiple drinks and apps, meals, dessert) vs dropping off a pizza and one set of drinks then their tip goes up and if their service is bad then there tip goes down but it is on a scale based on service and amount of service but general starts at 20% for me and can go up or down from there. Not a straight $4 and can only go down type of deal

AS I see it they are both providing the same service so why shouldn't it be the same? Except one is giving more service then the other so yes they deserve more for doing more

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering where anonymis eats where he gets all this bad service?  I mean, really, how often do you get truly bad service?  Mediocre, sure.  But rarely do I get truly bad service, and I'd say far more often than not the service I get is quite good.  But then, I'm usually projecting a positive attitude toward my server too . . . 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]

but at that point it's not bad service that reduced the tip but an actually healthcode violation that would get the server fired and the restaurant fined badly. Bad service to me doesn't break laws or violations healthcodes but that they were unattentive and slow when they weren't packed or busy. Now you are going to extremes

[/QUOTE]

+1 Way to rip the troll a new one. I'm done it's time for golf.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

He's not a troll Hobo just opinionated same as us. Is an interesting discussion to say the least

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]

He's not a troll Hobo just opinionated same as us. Is an interesting discussion to say the least

[/QUOTE]

He hit troll status towards the end of this discussion. You know, asking whether or not me spitting in your food deserves a tip. When that begins I assume that I have won and he has run out of arguments = Troll status.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This is always an interesting subject to discuss.  If I get takeout from a sit down restuarant then I will usually tip a min of $3.00.  The general rule from what I have always lived by is tipping for takeout is not required but if you do then it's $1 per item.  I usually get better service when giving a tip.  And better service I mean they almost bend over backwards to get you extra stuff and then will sometime offer a free drink while waiting. 

I gotta laugh at Brees here... $3, really?!?!  Why not just drop a $5 at least? C'mon, it's not like he can't afford it. 

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I think what some people here are trying to say is that when you DO get bad service (unattentive, disinterested etc.) how are you supposed to tip?

If you are taking your wife or girlfriend out for a special meal (especially if you don't go out to eat often) and you feel your meal was somewhat lacking because of lousy service, should you still tip the full 20% or more or less than 20%?

I think tipping less than the 20% is reasonable if you weren't satisfied with the service.

Afterall, that is why you went out to eat.  To not have to cook at home, eat a nice meal and "be served" instead of doing all those things yourself at home.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Here is a question for everyone....

You stop by an eating place by yourself.  There is a lunch special for $6, the same meal they serve at dinner time for around $10-$12, except the lunch special is a little smaller.  So you get your bill, the total is $8.  How much are you leaving for a tip?

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

You stop by an eating place by yourself.  There is a lunch special for $6, the same meal they serve at dinner time for around $10-$12, except the lunch special is a little smaller.  So you get your bill, the total is $8.  How much are you leaving for a tip?

Not sure why the lunch vs dinner would make a difference. I mean it doesn't really change anything just that you get a smaller portion but I'd prob drop $3 tip. I mean really what you are talking about the 20% difference in 6 -> 12 is a little more than a buck. That extra buck won't kill me to give it to them

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Another reason why tipping by percentage is total BS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

I think what some people here are trying to say is that when you DO get bad service (unattentive, disinterested etc.) how are you supposed to tip?

If you are taking your wife or girlfriend out for a special meal (especially if you don't go out to eat often) and you feel your meal was somewhat lacking because of lousy service, should you still tip the full 20% or more or less than 20%?

I think tipping less than the 20% is reasonable if you weren't satisfied with the service.

Afterall, that is why you went out to eat.  To not have to cook at home, eat a nice meal and "be served" instead of doing all those things yourself at home.

If the service is poor, sure, going below 20% is fine.  What I object to is people who are habitually stingy with their tips (tipping below 15% on a regular basis).  That, to me, seems kind of small and petty and also grossly unfair to those who served you your meal assuming that you'd pay the going rate (which is at least 15% of the bill).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

On small bills, I typically tip a minimum of $2 to $3. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

Another reason why tipping by percentage is total BS.

[/QUOTE]

You can just use the percentage as a minimum . . . it's up to you to give more if you think it's a fairer price. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I don't tip at all on take out orders. All they are doing is handing me a bag. That's kind of their job.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I have no problem with people who don't tip for take out.  I understand that the person is just handing you a bag.

A couple of years ago I saw an exec at work over tipping.  He saw that I noticed and he told me why He did it.  He said people are struggling these days and it won't hurt us to share our good fortune.  So, tip when you should and over tip when you can.  Always be generous.  It comes back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

I have no problem with people who don't tip for take out.  I understand that the person is just handing you a bag.

A couple of years ago I saw an exec at work over tipping.  He saw that I noticed and he told me why He did it.  He said people are struggling these days and it won't hurt us to share our good fortune.  So, tip when you should and over tip when you can.  Always be generous.  It comes back.

I think that's why most ex servers tend to tip higher. They know what it's like to struggle and when they don't any more they are more than willing to give a little more knowing what that other server is going through

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

You can just use the percentage as a minimum . . . it's up to you to give more if you think it's a fairer price. 

This is where the flawed practice continues.  One guy orders a $40 steak.  The other guy gets a salad.  They get separate checks.  The first guy should tip more...for what reason?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to jedinate's comment:

I don't tip at all on take out orders. All they are doing is handing me a bag. That's kind of their job.

You not tipping is why they are just handing you a bag.  Try it sometime, if there is a place you get take out often then start giving a couple bucks as a tip and see if anything changes over time. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

LMAO...dude, I'm not the one spitting in peoples food like you.  Just cuz that's the way you roll and you expect an entitle tip for that stuff...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

But they both start off at 20%. If they both gave the same amount of service then yes they'd both get the same but if one gives more service (ie server giving multiple drinks and apps, meals, dessert) vs dropping off a pizza and one set of drinks then their tip goes up and if their service is bad then there tip goes down but it is on a scale based on service and amount of service but general starts at 20% for me and can go up or down from there. Not a straight $4 and can only go down type of deal

AS I see it they are both providing the same service so why shouldn't it be the same? Except one is giving more service then the other so yes they deserve more for doing more

[/QUOTE]

but it can't be the same if the service is "equal". If it ain't equal they don't get the same tip.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Not sure why the lunch vs dinner would make a difference. I mean it doesn't really change anything just that you get a smaller portion but I'd prob drop $3 tip. I mean really what you are talking about the 20% difference in 6 -> 12 is a little more than a buck. That extra buck won't kill me to give it to them

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's my point.  Btw, good answer and I agree with you on that.

Sections
Shortcuts