Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

Tipped $3.00 on a $74.00 order! His excuse; it was a take out order. Guy only has a $100 million deal! Dont like this primadonna and can't wait til TB12 nonchalantly breaks his record this year of consecutive games with a TD pass.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130801/drew-brees-saints-takeout-tip.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a9&eref=sihp

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

You're joking, right? 

Do you tip the McDonalds cashier? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Tipped $3.00 on a $74.00 order! His excuse; it was a take out order. Guy only has a $100 million deal! Dont like this primadonna and can't wait til TB12 nonchalantly breaks his record this year of consecutive games with a TD pass.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130801/drew-brees-saints-takeout-tip.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a9&eref=sihp

Who tips for take out unless theres a hot girl there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

sorry, tipping for takeout isn't customary. That's all part of staying in business.

IMO, tips aren't/shouldn't be considered "mandatory" - it's rewarding the quality of service rendered to you as a guest/patron.

I give less than 15% if lousy service, more than 15% for good service. The sense of entitlement is sad. you want it, earn it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seems blown out of proportion.  I sometimes tip on takeout, but it's always just a dollar or two.  I was a waiter years ago, so in a restaurant I almost always tip 20% or above.  I know the arguments about tips are supposed to be rewards for good service, but restaurants get to pay people far less than minimum wage because they get tips and if you're a waiter or waitress, you basically don't get paid for your work if you don't get tipped. So please, tip the waiter or waitress at least 15% and preferably 20% or more unless the service is outrageously bad . . . 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

sorry, tipping for takeout isn't customary. That's all part of staying in business.

IMO, tips aren't/shouldn't be considered "mandatory" - it's rewarding the quality of service rendered to you as a guest/patron.

I give less than 15% if lousy service, more than 15% for good service. The sense of entitlement is sad. you want it, earn it.

Remember, restaurants don't have to pay their tipped workers more than about $2.15 per hour.  Tips are pretty much all they get.  It's maybe a dumb system, but I wouldn't call waiters or waitresses "entitled."  They are barely getting paid for their work unless you tip them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

Remember, restaurants don't have to pay their tipped workers more than about $2.15 per hour.  Tips are pretty much all they get.  It's maybe a dumb system, but I wouldn't call waiters or waitresses "entitled."  They are barely getting paid for their work unless you tip them

Well, find a different job if you don't want to work for low wages and can't or are unwilling to provide good service.  Restaurant workers know what the payment structure is.

The evidence for using the word "entitlement" is the tip jar that you see everywhere now.

Sorry, I understand what your saying (I grew up in restaurant business and have worked in restaurants) - I just don't agree with you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

I went out to eat 2 weeks ago with a few people and the waitress was really nice and good ,we were telling her she was good  she said she has to be cause they pay 4.50 hr.That sucks cause even if your good at your job doesnt mean people are going to tip (most do I would say) but really they should make min wage at least.I know they dont put all thier tips on taxes why would they ?They already getting screwed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I waited tables during the weekend while interning Mon-Fri when I was in college. That was 60 hours a week on top of taking accounting courses full time. I was paid about five dollars an hour which is much better than most servers get. I always tip over 20% unless the service was atrocious and you could tell they didn't care.

I know what it is like to have to live off tips in order to keep your life going. Anonymis, did you ever think that maybe some of these servers are going to school to get skills so that they don't need to wait tables any longer? Maybe it is a second job with flexible hours so that they can support their children. Maybe they job market is rough and they can't find another job at the moment. I don't know how you were raised, but life isn't easy and sometimes you take what you can get.

As far as the Drew Brees thing, I don't really see an issue with it. It was a take out order. I guess a five would have been nice for a large order like that considering his wealth, but again it was takeout.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't have any problem with him leaving three bucks (or nothing) on a take out order in which he drives down there and picks the bag up at the counter. In fact I think whoever leaked this at that restaurant should be fired, that's bad for business...it's unprofessional.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Oh my word.  Tipping on a take out order is ridiculous.  The price of the food includes the prep costs.  Tipping is for waitresses who cater to your needs, going above and beyond the bare minimum.  Why should he pay $ over the cost of his bill?  Very dumb.

As for tipping in general, I disagree with the whole system.  It exists to allow the restaurants to underpay their staff.  I am a minimal tipper.  $10 is my maximum for when I'm paying for the table.  When I'm only covering my own bill, it's $4.  It's not my job to pay the employees of someone else's business. 

"But NAS, they need that to live."  Not my issue.  I need my money to live, today and tomorrow. 

The idea of 15% is such a bogus concept.  Why should the waitress make more money because I ordered the steak instead of the salad?  She drops off the order, she picks it up, she brings it to me.  No extra work is involved.  If my table has 10 Sam Adams, 10 Budweisers, or 10 Grey Goose shots, it's still the same girl bringing 10 drinks to the table.  Why should it cost me more...because it costs me more?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Seems blown out of proportion.  I sometimes tip on takeout, but it's always just a dollar or two.  I was a waiter years ago, so in a restaurant I almost always tip 20% or above.  I know the arguments about tips are supposed to be rewards for good service, but restaurants get to pay people far less than minimum wage because they get tips and if you're a waiter or waitress, you basically don't get paid for your work if you don't get tipped. So please, tip the waiter or waitress at least 15% and preferably 20% or more unless the service is outrageously bad . . . 

+1 serving is a tough unappreciated job that many people like to blame the server for everything. Drinks taking to long, well maybe the bartender is slow not the serves fault. Food doesn't taste right or is bad, blame the cooks not the server. I was a server for 5 years while in school and barely living off my tips and it was scary hearing the excuses people make to justify leaving poor tips. I once had a table stay 2hrs after closing I gave them 2 last calls and they racked up a $120 and change bill. They left $121 and said if I didn't like it then I should get a new job. What they don't realize is the government assumes a certain % of you sales is tips so by not leaving a tip they actually cost me money because the government assumed I got a tip and taxed me on it.

Take out a different story. The hostest are paided much better and honestly only get your food together and in a bag. They don't really provide a service and that's what they get paid to do. If I'm a regular I usually leave a buck or two but there is no way I'm leaving more than the change I don't want to carry with me to D&D employess or starbucks. I'm sorry you are paid to make coffee and paid much better than servers who live off of tips. I'm not tipping you for doing your job just like they wouldn't tip me everytime they use one of the products I developed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

I waited tables during the weekend while interning Mon-Fri when I was in college. That was 60 hours a week on top of taking accounting courses full time. I was paid about five dollars an hour which is much better than most servers get. I always tip over 20% unless the service was atrocious and you could tell they didn't care.

I know what it is like to have to live off tips in order to keep your life going. Anonymis, did you ever think that maybe some of these servers are going to school to get skills so that they don't need to wait tables any longer? Maybe it is a second job with flexible hours so that they can support their children. Maybe they job market is rough and they can't find another job at the moment. I don't know how you were raised, but life isn't easy and sometimes you take what you can get.

As far as the Drew Brees thing, I don't really see an issue with it. It was a take out order. I guess a five would have been nice for a large order like that considering his wealth, but again it was takeout.

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

I was one of "those" people. I've been working since 12, I worked more than I studied. I earned what I got. No silver spoon in this mouth. No sense of entitlement here. No empathy for those who don't feel accountable for their own success and failures....just like I don't feel like taxpayers should ever have bailed out banks or those who took out mortgage loans they couldn't afford.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Oh my word.  Tipping on a take out order is ridiculous.  The price of the food includes the prep costs.  Tipping is for waitresses who cater to your needs, going above and beyond the bare minimum.  Why should he pay $ over the cost of his bill?  Very dumb.

As for tipping in general, I disagree with the whole system.  It exists to allow the restaurants to underpay their staff.  I am a minimal tipper.  $10 is my maximum for when I'm paying for the table.  When I'm only covering my own bill, it's $4.  It's not my job to pay the employees of someone else's business. 

"But NAS, they need that to live."  Not my issue.  I need my money to live, today and tomorrow. 

The idea of 15% is such a bogus concept.  Why should the waitress make more money because I ordered the steak instead of the salad?  She drops off the order, she picks it up, she brings it to me.  No extra work is involved.  If my table has 10 Sam Adams, 10 Budweisers, or 10 Grey Goose shots, it's still the same girl bringing 10 drinks to the table.  Why should it cost me more...because it costs me more?

The government assumes a certain % of sales are tips and taxes accordingly so if you tip below that % you are actually costing the server money to provide you a service. Not the servers fault for a broken system so why are you punishing them?

BTW it's not your job but you don't need to go either. It's a luxary to go out to eat not a requirement

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

I was one of "those" people. I've been working since 12, I worked more than I studied. I earned what I got. No silver spoon in this mouth. No sense of entitlement here. No empathy for those who don't feel accountable for their own success and failures....just like I don't feel like taxpayers should ever have bailed out banks or those who took out mortgage loans they couldn't afford.

Personally, I think most waiters and waitresses do a pretty good job and do earn their tips, but then maybe I just eat at better restaurants than you do . . .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree, I pay all my loans and haven't missed a single payment so why am I punished by having to pay more for others when others took out more than they could afford are being rewarded by having loans forgiven or reduced? Seems a bit backwards to me.

But as for the silver spoon thing I disagree. Yes really bad servers who don't try don't deserve a good tip but then there are people out there who don't tip regardless of service. In my day I had tons of regulars who asked for me by name. I didn't expect to get great tips all the time but I took a lot of pride in my work and ever so often, no matter the service I gave I would get shorted on tips. I don't consider it an entitlement to think you should get between 15-20% minimum but if you take pride and give great service you should expect more than what's in someones pocket

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I just don't understand how people who truly struggled and worked hard have such an issue with paying it forward. Helping out someone who is struggling to make ends meet by giving them an extra few bucks is far different than the bank bailouts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The government assumes a certain % of sales are tips so if you tip below that % you are actually costing the server money to provide you a service. Not the servers fault for a broken system so why are you punishing them?

BTW it's not your job but you don't need to go either. It's a luxary to go out to eat not a requirement

+1 . . . I mean, really, why be such a cheap-arse SOB and take your bile out on women (I note NAS only refers to waitresses) working for 2 or 3 dollars an hour.  They are working,after all.  Maybe NAS would prefer if they were on welfare?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The government assumes a certain % of sales are tips so if you tip below that % you are actually costing the server money to provide you a service. Not the servers fault for a broken system so why are you punishing them?

Because it's still the consumer's choice to tip. It's the consumer's choice to go out to eat or not.

Why should patrons suffer when a waiter/waitress provides lousy service, yet feel entitled to a tip after rendering said service?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Because it's still the consumer's choice to tip. It's the consumer's choice to go out to eat or not.

Why should patrons suffer when a waiter/waitress provides lousy service, yet feel entitled to a tip after rendering said service?

Don't go to restaurants where the service is so lousy you have to suffer. 

I mean really, where do you eat?  Get Zagat . .  fast!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I had a day where I only had two customers in the restaurant. I provided great service and got $1.23 for my trouble on $40 in sales. Now the government assumed I got 12% on tips of my sales and taxed me on such. So at the end of the day it actually cost me more to pay the taxes for working then I made per hour and off of tips. I actually paid out of my pocket to work 4hrs that day!!!! It might be the customers choice but really, if you want to be cheap don't go out to eat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I had a day where I only had two customers in the restaurant. I provided great service and got $1.23 for my trouble on $40 in sales. Now the government assumed I got 12% on tips of my sales and taxed me on such. So at the end of the day it actually cost me more to pay the taxes for working then I made per hour and off of tips. I actually paid out of my pocket to work 4hrs that day!!!! It might be the customers choice but really, if you want to be cheap don't go out to eat.

well, you should be accountable for selecting a restaurant that doesn't have many customers or choosing a lousy shift.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Some pretty strong opinions here. 

I'll ask my question to those who thinking tipping on takeout orders is expected - Do you tip your McDonald's (or any other fastfood) cashier? 

Anyone care to answer?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Don't go to restaurants where the service is so lousy you have to suffer. 

I mean really, where do you eat?  Get Zagat . .  fast!

oh, I see...so restaurants that are rated as having good food automatically means good service? I don't think so.  How stupid is that statement, duh.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

well, you should be accountable for selecting a restaurant that doesn't have many customers or choosing a lousy shift.

I'm sure Eng did better than that most days or he'd be working somewhere else.  But he only did better because most people aren't stingy-arse SOBs like you and NAS. 

Sections
Shortcuts