Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Suggested tips:

• $1-5 for skycaps, bellhops, doormen, and parking valets, $1 per coat for coatroom attendants, $2-5 per night for housekeeper, $5-10 for concierge (only if they arranged tickets or reservations), $1-3 per bag for grocery loaders.
    • For waiters at sit-down restaurants, bartenders, barbers/hairdressers/attendants at beauty salons, taxi drivers, tour guides, and food delivery folks, the tip should be calculated as a percentage of your total bill as follows: 10% usually means you are very unhappy, 15% usually means all was ok, 20% for excellent, 25% for outstanding.  15% and over is considered "normal".
    • These percentages are highly subjective! 
    • Note that tipping percentages will vary in different parts of the country, and even in different parts of a state. In general, rural folks tend to tip less than in big cities.
    • Ignore sales tax when calculating tips.
    • Note that if you have more than one person serving you at these establishments, the percentage represents the total tip and should be split amongst all who serve you. 
    • Tips should only go to people who are helpful. If they don't help you, don't tip them.
    • In some places a clearly displayed "Service Charge" or "Gratuity" might be automatically added to a bill, especially for party sizes of 8 or more. Check your bill for these charges before tipping.  If the word "Gratuity" is used and you're not happy, check with the manager.  A gratuity by definition is an amount you don't have to pay but choose to. 

(These recommendations are based on ones provided by the Emily Post Institute. For those who are interested in etiquette in the USA, most Americans refer to Emily Postor Amy Vanderbilt for the final word on manners.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ummm . . . I don't know . . . maybe because caring is the Christian thing to do?

Don't bring religion into this. What does religion have to do with being a decent human being? Yeah, all those little boys raped by religious leaders, innocent people getting killed in war because of some religious belief. I just vomited in my mouth.... 

[/QUOTE]

There are good things and bad things about religion.  Charity is one of the good things . . .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Charity has nothing to do with religion.

Ummm . . . I don't know . . . maybe because caring is the Christian thing to do?

Don't bring religion into this. What does religion have to do with being a decent human being? Yeah, all those little boys raped by religious leaders, innocent people getting killed in war because of some religious belief. I just vomited in my mouth.... 

There are good things and bad things about religion.  Charity is one of the good things . . .

------

charity has zero to do with religion.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Charity has nothing to do with religion.

------

Neither does Smith & Wesson or Springfield Armory, yet you're always saying "God bless" the two of them Laughing 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

NAS . . . 

I think TFB's movie clip explains it.  There's something anti-social about not wanting to tip people who serve you.  That's why it gets people upset. It's sort of socially unacceptable behaviour.  Like kicking dogs.  Or farting in public. You're free to do all of that . . . just don't expect most others to think highly of you when you do. 

And for anonymis, who's calling me judgmental and a hypocrite.  Isn't it a bit judgmental to dismiss people in the service industry as "entitled" because they expect tips (which is, like it or not, how they get paid)?  I mean if you go to work and expect to get your paycheck on Friday are you being entitled?  Your whole premise is completely judgmental of others who work (and often work quite hard) in the service industry.  You call them all "entitled" (which is a very judgmental word).  Isn't it hypocritical a bit to be calling me judgmental when your original statement which I reacted to was completely judgmental of wait staff (I quote):   "The sense of entitlement is sad. you want it, earn it."  Like waitresses don't earn their money and just expect to be paid.  That's absurd.  

I'm afraid you taking my statements out of context. So, let me explicity spell it out for you.  The service INDUSTRY is leaving tip jars in a large number of businesses - businesses that traditionally didn't get tips for rendering said service.  That is a sign that people feel they are entitled to more pay for the work they do.

IMO, if a server provides lousy service and expect to be paid the customary tip of 15-20%, then that is an entitlement - yes?  I have clearly stated that I use customary tipping practices; the amount offered is dependent upon the quality. You're basically saying that waiters and waitresses should ALWAYS get 20% REGARDLESS OF QUALITY. That's entitlement.  So, I apologize.....I should have said I disagree ONLY with those SERVERS WHO FEEL ENTITLED TO GET TIPS.

Now, f*** off, you snobby bahstid

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

/QUOTE]

Neither does Smith & Wesson or Springfield Armory, yet you're always saying "God bless" the two of them Laughing 

Yeah, but I'm not the misleading bahstid who says they are related, you p****

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Let me add to my points I always give pregnant waitresses more. I know it's sexest but I yam what I yam.  If I'm there for a while ie a couple weeks it's also very like me to give ger a gift certificate or buy her some baby stuff. don't you stop to help a woman change a tire? Do you hold a door for a woman? Do you help an old lady put her bags in her car and put her cart away when your done?  If not then shame on you and beware cause there is such a thing as karma. 

I was working in super remote Ohio and being the creature of habit I are at bob Evans every morning. There was this little old man that would wait to get in the place at 6 am   So I started buying him his breakfast. Come to find out he was 100 years old and didnt have a lot of money.   Yeah it's not my problem but I may be that little old man one day. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Let me add to my points I always give pregnant waitresses more. I know it's sexest but I yam what I yam.  If I'm there for a while ie a couple weeks it's also very like me to give ger a gift certificate or buy her some baby stuff. don't you stop to help a woman change a tire? Do you hold a door for a woman? Do you help an old lady put her bags in her car and put her cart away when your done?  If not then shame on you and beware cause there is such a thing as karma. 

I was working in super remote Ohio and being the creature of habit I are at bob Evans every morning. There was this little old man that would wait to get in the place at 6 am   So I started buying him his breakfast. Come to find out he was 100 years old and didnt have a lot of money.   Yeah it's not my problem but I may be that little old man one day. 

that's nice of you.  A sincere gesture that has meaning for the both of you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm afraid you taking my statements out of context. So, let me explicity spell it out for you.  The service INDUSTRY is leaving tip jars in a large number of businesses - businesses that traditionally didn't get tips for rendering said service.  That is a sign that people feel they are entitled to more pay for the work they do.

IMO, if a server provides lousy service and expect to be paid the customary tip of 15-20%, then that is an entitlement - yes?  I have clearly stated that I use customary tipping practices; the amount offered is dependent upon the quality. You're basically saying that waiters and waitresses should ALWAYS get 20% REGARDLESS OF QUALITY. That's entitlement.  So, I apologize.....I should have said I disagree ONLY with those SERVERS WHO FEEL ENTITLED TO GET TIPS.

Now, f*** off, you snobby bahstid

[/QUOTE]

It's not so much your tipping policy that got me annoyed, it's your judgment of service workers as "entitled."  My experience is that people who think of other people as "entitled" are usually the first to screw others whenever they get a chance.  It's an easy way to justify one's own self-centeredness, lack of generousity, and want of empathy:  "I don't have to help them, I have no responsibility to them, I don't have to care about them, because they're just 'entitled.'"  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good story Phil.  A real "mensch" . . . 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Very nice of you Phil. If more people would just take the time to treat other people with compassion and dignity we would all be better off as a society.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

It's not so much your tipping policy that got me annoyed, it's your judgment of service workers as "entitled."  My experience is that people who think of other people as "entitled" are usually the first to screw others whenever they get a chance.  It's an easy way to justify one's own self-centeredness, lack of generousity, and want of empathy:  "I don't have to help them, I have no responsibility to them, I don't have to care about them, because they're just 'entitled.'"  

[/QUOTE]

you mean, the servers who feel entitled shouldn't be named as such? I don't think so. If servers feel entitled to get tips for poor service, that makes them entitled.  Again, you need to learn how to fawking read.  How is it my fault that a given server feels entitled?

And where did I make a comment about helping people or not helping people. What does that have to do with tipping etiquette.  You're off on a tangent Motherf*****.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

There seems to be confusion about the purpose of tipping for some.

It is to allow the customer leeway in compensation for the service which induces the server to aim to please and therefore gain greater compensation.

Obviously a system without tipping replaced by paying higher wages takes the incentive for good service completely out of the customer's hands (kind of like communism vs capitalism).

Either way you are going to pay. Business don't last long if they don't turn a profit. The only question here is whether you want to have the greater control of performance that tipping allows.

Notice most all tipping situations are in circumstances where you are out to "have a good time". These events are not about necessities. They are typically luxuries associated with recreation of some sort. Most people don't want some malcontent serving person to spoil their experience, so therefore - tipping.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

I tip, but there are so many things wrong with this post that it's hard to know where to begin.

First, if you want to induce better service from your server, why wouldn't you tip in advance?  If you think someone is motivated mostly by money then having the sure thing up front is better than hoping for what may be given after the meal.

Second, there are countries all over Europe and elsewhere that survive quite well without tips.  In the US the law allows employers to pay servers below minimum wage and it is expected that the paying customer will subsidize the differential.

Third, don't ever compare this to communism vs. capitalism.  I have a distribution business.  We provide customer service.  There are no tips involved in any way.  However, businesses within our industry survive and fail on customer service all the time.  That is pure capitalism.  It could work in the restaurant industry too, but there are powerful lobbies that want to maintain the status quo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

When did God last refill your coffee?  Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS . . . 

I think TFB's movie clip explains it.  There's something anti-social about not wanting to tip people who serve you.  That's why it gets people upset. It's sort of socially unacceptable behaviour.  Like kicking dogs.  Or farting in public. You're free to do all of that . . . just don't expect most others to think highly of you when you do.

Socially unacceptable?  Society doesn't pay my bills.  Society isn't saving for my retirement.  Society remains exactly the same if I tip $4 or $10 on a $35 bill.  I couldn't care less what Unknown Person A thinks of me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

[QUOTE]

NAS, you make me sick. I know that nothing I say will change how you think, but I just want you to know that you are a greedy, bitter, pathetic excuse for a human. Have some compassion for others, it might make you happier.

Have you ever done volunteer work?

Quite a damning statement for someone with very, very little knowledge of another.  You don't know anything about me.  You have no idea how much time I have spent helping others or raising money for charity.

So, this immature rant of yours is pretty far off the mark.

Grow up.

[/QUOTE]

I'm just going off of what you're giving me. If you don't want people to think that way about you then maybe you should present yourself better. You come on here and show little compassion for anyone but yourself, so what do you really expect?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm just going off of what you're giving me. If you don't want people to think that way about you then maybe you should present yourself better. You come on here and show little compassion for anyone but yourself, so what do you really expect?

I expect people to be adults about subjects, not blindly make stuff up.  I'm against tipping in restaurants, and, according to you, that makes me a "greedy, bitter, pathetic excuse for a human."

Grow up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In his rookie season, the first time Bird went to New York with the Celtics, he and Rick Robey popped into a bar to have a brew. When he saw the prices on the tavern's menu, Larry abruptly stood up and walked out. Years later, while dining with teammates in a trendy New York eatery, the players began ollecting money for the bill. Told they were going to give the waiter a 20 percent tip, Bird said, "What for? All he did was deliver the food."

He stood up, grabbed the tip money, and strode unannounced into the kitchen. He handed the astonished cook a fistful of bills, then walked out.

--- from When The Game Was Ours by Jackie MacMullan

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

I expect people to be adults about subjects, not blindly make stuff up.  I'm against tipping in restaurants, and, according to you, that makes me a "greedy, bitter, pathetic excuse for a human."

Grow up.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not blindly making anything up. Reread what you have posted and you will see how many have come to the same conclusion about you and your love of humanity. If you do and honestly feel that you come across as a standup guy based on your posts then I don't know what else to say. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't really care if you don't want to tip. It's your business and I don't think anybody is pointing guns at people and forcing them to be servers, but personally I'm one of those guys who likes to see everybody having a good time when I'm having a good time.

In point of fact, my favorite tipping story is about this kid at a Beef & Ale or an Applebees or some place like that, you know, nothing fancy. He was terrible, and he knew it. He kept apologizing and telling us how new he was and we had to be kind of patient with him. He was doing the best he could and it was pretty obvious that a waiter wasn't what he was cut out to be. In fact, I actually said that to him . . .  by the end of dinner we -- the kid included -- were all having a pretty good laugh about what a bad waiter he was and it was his attitude that got him a better tip than an efficient but impersonable server would have gotten.

Who knows, maybe it was a bit. Maybe the kid pulled the ol' "It's my first day" act on all his customers.

All I know is it worked with me, and I'm a guy who would never take a job that required me to be continually nice to (mostly) annoying people.

I wouldn't be able to do it.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

And it's people like you who make this world a better place to live in.

It's not about how much one gives or how much one does for someone else, it's the act of giving or helping that makes the difference. 

Your earlier post about tipping the maids at the hotel reminded me of a time when I first noticed my Father giving a tip to the maids at the hotel where we were staying at during a family vacation.  It made an impression on me.  It wasn't a bunch of money but it was probably enough for lunch everyday for the maids while we were there.  My parents were very generous with tipping and showing appreciation.  From waiters and waitresses, maids, paper boy, mailman, garbage men, people from the furniture store delivering furniture.  It wasn't like they were handing out gobs of money but probably just enough to show appreciation and to give a little bit to those who weren't as fortunate.  And to me that's what it is all about.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

A few bucks here and there wont kill you and it impresses your woman. There will be the day your rentacar doesnt have a lug wrench and you wonder why people don't stop. IMO it's not the amount of a tip its that you care. I fully believe thata wait person knows by your demeanor if you will tip or not. If you dismiss them then they dismiss you. We all work for a living and I don't mind throwing a few here or there to at a minimum give someone a smile. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not blindly making anything up. Reread what you have posted and you will see how many have come to the same conclusion about you and your love of humanity. If you do and honestly feel that you come across as a standup guy based on your posts then I don't know what else to say. 

You are basing your thougths about a person on some posts on one topic on a webpage message board.  I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that anyone is a "greedy, bitter, pathetic excuse for a human" with so little info.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

I don't really care if you don't want to tip. It's your business and I don't think anybody is pointing guns at people and forcing them to be servers, but personally I'm one of those guys who likes to see everybody having a good time when I'm having a good time.

In point of fact, my favorite tipping story is about this kid at a Beef & Ale or an Applebees or some place like that, you know, nothing fancy. He was terrible, and he knew it. He kept apologizing and telling us how new he was and we had to be kind of patient with him. He was doing the best he could and it was pretty obvious that a waiter wasn't what he was cut out to be. In fact, I actually said that to him . . .  by the end of dinner we -- the kid included -- were all having a pretty good laugh about what a bad waiter he was and it was his attitude that got him a better tip than an efficient but impersonable server would have gotten.

Who knows, maybe it was a bit. Maybe the kid pulled the ol' "It's my first day" act on all his customers.

All I know is it worked with me, and I'm a guy who would never take a job that required me to be continually nice to (mostly) annoying people.

I wouldn't be able to do it.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

Great story.  It reminds me of a time this street person came up to me and said, "Look, I'm not gonna lie about being hungry, I just want a drink. Can you give me some change so I can get a beer?"  I reached in my pocket and all I had was a ten, so I gave him that.

Sections
Shortcuts