Off topic: Musicians.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Off topic: Musicians.

Just wondering if anybody here plays any musical instruments. I know Rusty has said he plays guitar. Anybody else?

I sing, play guitar, bass, and some keyboards. I picked up a sax, but have yet to learn to play it.

I have a couple of good guitars and a few cheaper ones that still play pretty well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Off topic: Musicians.

I love music but I never played. My dad was the artistic one. He played the fiddle and mandolin. I took after my mom who had the brains and good looks. Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

I love music but I never played. My dad was the artistic one. He played the fiddle and mandolin. I took after my mom who had the brains and good looks. Laughing

LOL. Well put.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

My Grandmother was a piano teacher, she taught all the grandchildren how to play with the exception of several of us boys who would rather be out playing ball or doing other things instead of learning to play piano.  I wish I would have taken the time to learn.  Band was never a big thing in school so I never took band and then at home I was always involved in sports. 

Now as I am older it would be fun to know how to play the drums, piano or guitar.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I play the drums, I've got a 9 piece Pearl with about 10 Zildjians. A couple of years ago I bought an electric kit to put behind (which was a waste). I also bought some roto toms (another waste). Then I bought this cymbal called the Chopper...love the thing, made by Sabian...sounds like a trashy high hat/white noise thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

I hacked around on the guitar for years without really learning to play, about 3 years ago I de cided to put my mind to it and try learn, found the website Ultimate Guitar and have been progressing fairly well (although my wife and daughter still leave the room when I pick it up)---I'm  trying to get good enough to justify buying a decent guitar...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

I hacked around on the guitar for years without really learning to play, about 3 years ago I de cided to put my mind to it and try learn, found the website Ultimate Guitar and have been progressing fairly well (although my wife and daughter still leave the room when I pick it up)---I'm  trying to get good enough to justify buying a decent guitar...

Keep at it!

I remember growing up my oldest brother took guitar lessons.  He was horrible, lol!  I think the only thing he ever learned to play was Rain drops keep falling on my head.  That song will be with me forever, lol!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

It's amazing what is available out there now. Even those Esteban videos (as cheesy as that sounds) can help, but the best way to get better is play with others who are better than you.

Once you get into bar chords, learning your away around, some basic scales, etc, all the stuff you can do with your eyes closes/are naturally good at, you can build off of even more. I used a thing call Fretboard Roadmaps which is pretty good.

Also, you want to buy a good guitar because it does matter.  The action is important, how it feels in your hands (everyone is different), thickness of the neck (Gibsons are thicker), etc.  Once I started on a $200 Ephiphone and then upped it to a $750 Guild GAD 50 (yes, Guilds can be had that cheap they sound like a $2000 Gibson J 45), you'll wonder why didn't upgrade sooner.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GLD3810500

I tried out every Dreadnought acoustic pretty much around $1000-$1500 on the market and walked out with the Guild GAD 50 w/tweed case for $750.  Unless you wan to go up into the $2500 range for a nice Gibson J45, a Martin or a Taylor, this model is affordable and will make you sound better.

I have a '62 Martin small body my aunt gave me that sounds as big as an standard size Martin I've ever heard and a Fender Baja Tele electric which allows you to channel the classic Fender tele sounds for country, rock, good funk on it with a wah wah, but also some more strat sounds if you want to go more with that cleaner rock or blues sound. Has this nice s1 switch which comes in handy.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/fender/classic_player_baja_telecaster/index.html

You should go on Craig's List, Ebay or even just a pawn shop to upgrade your guitar. Lots of people turning in gems in this economy.

If you try to play everyday for like 10 minutes (min), you'll evetually get better and better.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent info thanks Russ---I have a 25 year old Fender La Brea (electric/accoustic) I bought it at Daddy's Junky music right before they went out of business, it was the managers special : )---I know what you mean about getting the bar chords down and practicing everyday, both of which im doing, but I do wish I had some dudes to "jam" with---anyway I wasted enough time so I'm gonna keep at it---I'll definitely check out the Guild Gad 50, you're right I would not have thought you could get a Guthat that "cheap"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Played piano and took lessons from 9 to 18 due to my mom.  I don't really anymore but I can still sight read music.   Now I just hack around on guitar.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

Keep at it!

I remember growing up my oldest brother took guitar lessons.  He was horrible, lol!  I think the only thing he ever learned to play was Rain drops keep falling on my head.  That song will be with me forever, lol!!

[/QUOTE]

LOL! I'm gonna look that up, see if I can play itSmile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No, but I dated Lita Ford back in the 80's

God I hope it was Lita Ford

And not Vince Neil

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

And not Vince Neil

LMAO!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

And not Vince Neil

Bawahaha! Hey, is there a worse singer live than Vince Neil? Never heard anyone as bad as him live, at first I thought...it must just be his age, but then I watched some of Crue's stuff from when they were just starting out...he was just as bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Bawahaha! Hey, is there a worse singer live than Vince Neil? Never heard anyone as bad as him live, at first I thought...it must just be his age, but then I watched some of Crue's stuff from when they were just starting out...he was just as bad.

I seen Crue at the Orange County (NY) Fair Grounds on the Dr. Feelgood tour.  I was so wasted I don't really remember anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

And not Vince Neil

Or was it Dee Schneider?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I picked up a Squire Strat by Fender about a month ago. They are $130 new. This is a pretty good guitar, and extremely good for so very little $$$. I asked a guitar player friend I know that plays in area bands and he is impressed with the quality/price. Checked out some reviews on youtube and they were favorable as well.

They say the pots on those Squires are cheesy. That's not a big deal. But the guitar itself is well made. It would be very hard for anybody to tell the difference just listening from the American Strat. It is basically made to strat specs but Indonesian labor is cheap and they use a less costly wood for the body for example (basswood). The tuning keys are said to be of lesser quality than the Fenders but I've seen no issue with mine and you can buy Fender keys for $5 each. The thing sounds and and plays great.

I have a 1972 Telecaster Thinline (original) that I see on e-bay for $6-7K, so I'm not unfamiliar with quality guitars. I have and have had a couple of Fender basses from the '60s and '70s.

You can also find a Mexican Strat on craig's for maybe $300 if you keep an eye out. It really is hard to justify saying the American is better than the Mexican. Same thing, made in a different place. But people will pay 2-3x as much for that little USA stamped on it.

If you want a name everybody respects you probably need a Gibson or Fender. Fender is going to cost less but is just as respected.

So much of this is about what sounds you like to get, what feels good to you or "impressing" people with the name. But if you're looking for a good guitar for super cheap, I suggest the Squire Strat. If you want to really impress people, there are vintage celeb Fenders and Gibsons on e-bay going for millions.

As far as the action on the guitar you can "set up" that yourself if need be. There are numerous vids on youtube showing how that is done. It's not rocket science.

In the end it's not so much what guitar you have, it's how well you play it. If you're good you can make any decent guitar sound great. And, btw, there are a ton of guys teaching lead guitar patterns and pretty much anything else you like on youtube as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Several musicians in my family, I wish I had taken it up when I was younger. Two brothers are guitar players, and my 3 sisters played just about every wind and brass instrument there is. Ome sister is very involved in musical theater in the Merrimack Valley area, either performing on stage or directing the music. She also plays in an all female jazz band called the Jazzabelles. She plays organ at the church and piano for the high school musicals. Another sister picked up an accordion at a yard sale, taught herself how to play and serenaded my parents on their 45th anniversary. One brother plays guitar in a cover band. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

My Grandmother was a piano teacher, she taught all the grandchildren how to play with the exception of several of us boys who would rather be out playing ball or doing other things instead of learning to play piano.  I wish I would have taken the time to learn.  Band was never a big thing in school so I never took band and then at home I was always involved in sports. 

Now as I am older it would be fun to know how to play the drums, piano or guitar.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Learning to play an instrument is a challenge. But I think the rewards far outweigh the costs at any age. That's why they call it "playing".

It's like riding a bike though. Once you have it you will always have it. Of course if you don't play for some time you get rusty, but it comes back quickly.

One of the things a novice doesn't realize about playing guitar is that you need to do it and develop callouses on your fingers. Before you do that your fingers will be sore or even blistered from the strings. This is especially true when playing electric lead, because of so much string bending.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I play the drums, I've got a 9 piece Pearl with about 10 Zildjians. A couple of years ago I bought an electric kit to put behind (which was a waste). I also bought some roto toms (another waste). Then I bought this cymbal called the Chopper...love the thing, made by Sabian...sounds like a trashy high hat/white noise thing.

Sounds like a great kit. Pearl makes good stuff, and I guess Zildjians are the benchmark as well.

I know some drummers like the electric kits simply because they are so much easier to move to gigs. I played gigs for years in New England and was the only one I knew of that ever helped the drummer pack up his gear. I felt sorry for them, LOL. I had a bass and a small Galien Krueger amp, so it was a cinch for me. Walked in and out with each in a hand.

Had a cheap drum set I bought off a drummer friend when he upgraded to Ludwigs. Drums just weren't my cup of tea though.

The thing with drums is that they are much harder to enjoy if you aren't in a band I think. Bass is somewhat the same in that regard, but not as much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

I picked up a Squire Strat by Fender about a month ago. They are $130 new. This is a pretty good guitar, and extremely good for so very little $$$. I asked a guitar player friend I know that plays in area bands and he is impressed with the quality/price. Checked out some reviews on youtube and they were favorable as well.

They say the pots on those Squires are cheesy. That's not a big deal. But the guitar itself is well made. It would be very hard for anybody to tell the difference just listening from the American Strat. It is basically made to strat specs but Indonesian labor is cheap and they use a less costly wood for the body for example (basswood). The tuning keys are said to be of lesser quality than the Fenders but I've seen no issue with mine and you can buy Fender keys for $5 each. The thing sounds and and plays great.

I have a 1972 Telecaster Thinline (original) that I see on e-bay for $6-7K, so I'm not unfamiliar with quality guitars. I have and have had a couple of Fender basses from the '60s and '70s.

You can also find a Mexican Strat on craig's for maybe $300 if you keep an eye out. It really is hard to justify saying the American is better than the Mexican. Same thing, made in a different place. But people will pay 2-3x as much for that little USA stamped on it.

If you want a name everybody respects you probably need a Gibson or Fender. Fender is going to cost less but is just as respected.

So much of this is about what sounds you like to get, what feels good to you or "impressing" people with the name. But if you're looking for a good guitar for super cheap, I suggest the Squire Strat. If you want to really impress people, there are vintage celeb Fenders and Gibsons on e-bay going for millions.

As far as the action on the guitar you can "set up" that yourself if need be. There are numerous vids on youtube showing how that is done. It's not rocket science.

In the end it's not so much what guitar you have, it's how well you play it. If you're good you can make any decent guitar sound great. And, btw, there are a ton of guys teaching lead guitar patterns and pretty much anything else you like on youtube as well.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Babe, I've seen the squires and just assumed they were a nice "beginner" quitar so it's good to get an endorsement from a pro---I assume you'll be hanging on that Teley---I saw an interesting show on PBS where they tracked down the Fender Dylan played at the 65 Newport Folk  Festival, some woman had it in her asince for like 25 years, course Bob wants it back

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

Played Rhythm guitar  (BC RICH STIII  with a Marshall JCM 800 Lead series cabinet and assorted pedals) in a metal band in high school then moved to Bass (Ibanez something with a  SWR Workingman and Big Bertha(?) cabinet) in a two different metal bands afterwards up until about 30yo. We were pretty successful for a while then marriage, Dui's and job loss kinda put REAL Life back on the Front burner. 

I still have all my equipment along with some PA speakers. my wife keeps trying to get me to sell. I pull the speakers out every now and again to blast backyard parties...  HEHEHE..

Now I have a Dean Accoustic bass that I can play out by the camp fire..  unfortunately the only other guy I know who plays, plays three cords on an old beat up accoustic and he hates metal.  he says I play to fast for him  haha...

Dying to find a local drummer. I have Notebooks full of riffs that need to be converted to songs..  flavors of Queensryche, Suicidal Tendencies, and Megadeth, with a pinch of Nirvana

GOD I miss those days,

And Vince wasn't all that bad a singer... although they did have to back him up with the Nasty Habits.. .....  Great Party band.

GO Pats.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

In response to ASO9771's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Played Rhythm guitar  (BC RICH STIII  with a Marshall JCM 800 Lead series cabinet and assorted pedals) in a metal band in high school then moved to Bass (Ibanez something with a  SWR Workingman and Big Bertha(?) cabinet) in a two different metal bands afterwards up until about 30yo. We were pretty successful for a while then marriage, Dui's and job loss kinda put REAL Life back on the Front burner. 

I still have all my equipment along with some PA speakers. my wife keeps trying to get me to sell. I pull the speakers out every now and again to blast backyard parties...  HEHEHE..

Now I have a Dean Accoustic bass that I can play out by the camp fire..  unfortunately the only other guy I know who plays, plays three cords on an old beat up accoustic and he hates metal.  he says I play to fast for him  haha...

Dying to find a local drummer. I have Notebooks full of riffs that need to be converted to songs..  flavors of Queensryche, Suicidal Tendencies, and Megadeth, with a pinch of Nirvana

GOD I miss those days,

And Vince wasn't all that bad a singer... although they did have to back him up with the Nasty Habits.. .....  Great Party band.

GO Pats.

Don't take this the wrong way, and it's just an observation, but I noticed when you were listing off the guitars you lean towards, it probably means you are a metal fan.

I think it's interesting, and this is really only a generality, that certain artists/musicians lean towards a certain group of instrument manufacturers.  To be honest, I don't what it is about the metal musicians who lean towards what they lean towards.

I am not a metal guy, more of a blues/rock, country/folk, funk kind of guy.

There must be something with those kinds of manufacturers they like, especially the electrics which is obviously the bulk of metal music.

My dream instruments are like:

Gibson ES 335  (my dream electric, always loved how versatile these are)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gibson+es+335&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=D118A130E2F62C9E35F3F53A12A09817429614EE&selectedIndex=0

Gretsch (White Falcon - Always liked the sound of those)

Gibson SG (a great everyday electric, IMO)

Acoustic:

Gibson Hummingbird

Martin HD 28

Collings D 3

Guild 12 String

I be pretty happy with those. lol

I found this Collings one used about 2 years ago in a local shop. It was an acoustic that someone turned into an acoustic/electric (never really understood why you would want unless performing in an arena or something), and it was just the most incredible feel and sound acoustic. Of course, I went back a week later and it was gone.

[/QUOTE]

Funny ..

"Don't take this the wrong way,"

Why yes I was/ still am a metal fan.  hence playing in metal bands... hahah NO harm

I like everything but most RAP.

The BC Rich was probably not the best choice it's a real heavy guitar. I was leaning towards Charvel and even Kramer. But the price was right. I actually went to trade in the BC STIII and the shop wouldn't take it . I thought geeze is it really a bad guitar? the guy told me that it was one of only few that were actually made in the USA, everything else was Korean. he told me to keep it. I bought it for about $300.  25years or so ago. NO idea what the value is today.. don't care. I was just impresed that the guy didn't rip me off.

What pisses me off IS, my uncle gave me an old rickenbacher Bass from the late 60's. I was a teen in the 80's and $$$ signs were swirling in my mind so I traded it in for various equipment. Wish I would have kept that bass, but also I was a "guitar" player   Didn't want the Bass. (what a DumbazZ).

I didn't start playing bass until our bass player quit and I decided to fill in. could of used it then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

GOD I miss those days,

GO Pats.

Don't take this the wrong way, and it's just an observation, but I noticed when you were listing off the guitars you lean towards, it probably means you are a metal fan.

I think it's interesting, and this is really only a generality, that certain artists/musicians lean towards a certain group of instrument manufacturers.  To be honest, I don't what it is about the metal musicians who lean towards what they lean towards.

I am not a metal guy, more of a blues/rock, country/folk, funk kind of guy.

There must be something with those kinds of manufacturers they like, especially the electrics which is obviously the bulk of metal music.

My dream instruments are like:

Gibson ES 335  (my dream electric, always loved how versatile these are)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gibson+es+335&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=D118A130E2F62C9E35F3F53A12A09817429614EE&selectedIndex=0

Gretsch (White Falcon - Always liked the sound of those)

Gibson SG (a great everyday electric, IMO)

Acoustic:

Gibson Hummingbird

Martin HD 28

Collings D 3

Guild 12 String

I be pretty happy with those. lol

I found this Collings one used about 2 years ago in a local shop. It was an acoustic that someone turned into an acoustic/electric (never really understood why you would want unless performing in an arena or something), and it was just the most incredible feel and sound acoustic. Of course, I went back a week later and it was gone.

[/QUOTE]

Funny ..

"Don't take this the wrong way,"

Why yes I was/ still am a metal fan.  hence playing in metal bands... hahah NO harm

I like everything but most RAP.

The BC Rich was probably not the best choice it's a real heavy guitar. I was leaning towards Charvel and even Kramer. But the price was right. I actually went to trade in the BC STIII and the shop wouldn't take it . I thought geeze is it really a bad guitar? the guy told me that it was one of only few that were actually made in the USA, everything else was Korean. he told me to keep it. I bought it for about $300.  25years or so ago. NO idea what the value is today.. don't care. I was just impresed that the guy didn't rip me off.

What pisses me off IS, my uncle gave me an old rickenbacher Bass from the late 60's. I was a teen in the 80's and $$$ signs were swirling in my mind so I traded it in for various equipment. Wish I would have kept that bass, but also I was a "guitar" player   Didn't want the Bass. (what a DumbazZ).

I didn't start playing bass until our bass player quit and I decided to fill in. could of used it then.

[/QUOTE]

I never understood why anyone would want a heavy guitar or bass.  Paul Reed Smith makes nice electrics but they are just heavy.  Anything more than 8 lbs seems unnecessary to me.

You should have kept that Rickenbacker.  haha

Another interesting option.   Nice jangly sound off those, at least for eletrics, as I can't speak on the bass.

[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that a lot of Peavey' basses are Really heavy also. I agree. the weight starts to dig into your shoulder. My Ibanez Bass is about a 6th of the weight of the BC. I liked that aspect but did lose some tone in the trade. I swapped to active pickups to try and compensate.

And those damn cabinets now I now how I stayed skinny (well part of it) lugging those things around sucked...  I would help the drummer and he would help me. I think I got the wrong end of that deal (damn double bass kits. I think he had like 12 drums and 10 cymbals (?). he took up most of our stages.... haha ..  That was until we actually started getting roadies.. yay!