Off Topic - New UFC Middleweight champ

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Off Topic - New UFC Middleweight champ

Any Pats fans who happen to be fight fans?  I tried to get this topic going in the misc sports thread prior to the fight but nobody responded.  Anyways...

Did anyone catch the fights last night?  There is a new MW champion and his name is Chris Weidman!  Awsome KO, Anderson got a bit cocky, clowned around and got KTFO!  Here is the ending for anyone interested. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Off Topic - New UFC Middleweight champ

Saw the replay of the full fight (subsequently taken off for copyright violation).  Gotta give credit to Weidman; especially since it wasn't his kind of fighting style. A stiff left on the chin, and a solid right when Anderson was on the mat was all she wrote. Anderson's clowning finally did him in.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

Saw the replay of the full fight (subsequently taken off for copyright violation).  Gotta give credit to Weidman; especially since it wasn't his kind of fighting style. A stiff left on the chin, and a solid right when Anderson was on the mat was all she wrote. Anderson's clowning finally did him in.  

Weidman did have 3 other KO wins going into last nights fight so he does have some standup skills.  Actually he is pretty well rounded.  Now 4 wins by KO, 3 by submissions and 3 decisions.  Certainly his strength is wrestling and he was able to get Silva down and control him in the 1st round.  

I have no idea why Silva fights like he did last night, we have seen him do the clowing around in several fights now.  Maybe since he is such a good counter puncher he uses his hands down taunting to discourage his opponent to where he will run in carelessly and just throw punches.  Well that backfired last night on him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

i think the clowning is his way of getting into opponent's heads, that's all.  He was due for a loss, getting up there in age. He supposedly has 10 fights left on his contract, but has said he's done fighting.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

As a wrestler its good to see other wrestlers succeed in UFC. Either way, Silva kinda got what he deserved. I mean, you dont know what can happen and he got caught there with a couple good punches. I wish i got to see the full fight but only caught the highlights so far.

Many great and successful wrestlers throughout the history of UFC and NHB fighting.  I believe wrestling to be the strongest base for MMA fighting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As a wrestler its good to see other wrestlers succeed in UFC. Either way, Silva kinda got what he deserved. I mean, you dont know what can happen and he got caught there with a couple good punches. I wish i got to see the full fight but only caught the highlights so far.

Many great and successful wrestlers throughout the history of UFC and NHB fighting.  I believe wrestling to be the strongest base for MMA fighting.

[/QUOTE]

Damn right! Not to mention the toughest sport out there Cool

[/QUOTE]

With that said though, as the sport progresses this is changing.  Now kids are starting out learning MMA and not focusing on one base discipline.  It used to be, and still is to an extent, that fighters were solid in one discipline and incorporated other disciplines.  We are now starting to see this change.  The young fighters are coming in more well rounded, being equally good in multiple disciplines.  fighters like Jon Jones, being the complete package. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

wrestling skills come in handy in ground game, submissions, and defense on the ground.

When someone sticks his chin out on purpose as a target, eventually, someones gonna hit it......lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Damn right! Not to mention the toughest sport out there Cool

[/QUOTE]

With that said though, as the sport progresses this is changing.  Now kids are starting out learning MMA and not focusing on one base discipline.  It used to be, and still is to an extent, that fighters were solid in one discipline and incorporated other disciplines.  We are now starting to see this change.  The young fighters are coming in more well rounded, being equally good in multiple disciplines.  fighters like Jon Jones, being the complete package. 

[/QUOTE]

I think its way better for the sport. Were gonna see better fighters and better fights. As a base though, wrestling is such a great base. It compliments something like jiu jitsu. I do think it is superior to it though. My first week taking jiu jitsu, when we rolled around, i destroyed everybody except the teacher. He absolutely ruined me. I just think its too slow but can be very effective in the right circumstances. One that amazes me though is the people who pick up something like kick boxing or muay tai. It may just be that im a big guy but that takes a good amount of stamina, balance, and footwork to be good at it.

[/QUOTE]

yeah, i guess if ur gonna go toe-to-toe (or leg to body)....it all starts with the feet :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I love seeing punks like that get knocked around. Really happy to see a showboat put in their place.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

There are so many different circumstances and scenarios for people to argue which is the best style individually,  and many great points can be made for each style.

Stand up fighter.... All fights start on the feet.  If a good standup fighter has a good sprawl then it could be very difficult for the wrestler, JJ/BJJ fighters to get him on the ground.  Certainly they would risk getting KO'ed going in for the takedown.  If they can't get the takedown and has to stand with the standup fighter then they are in serious trouble.

Wrestlers.... If they don't know JJ/BJJ then what is their plan once they get a JJ/BJJ figher down? Ground and pound is their only option unless they know JJ/BJJ.  However, if they get a standup fighter on the ground who doesn't have any JJ skills then the standup fighter is done.  He will get GNP'd out of there.

JJ/BJJ fighters... Time limits seriously hurt the JJ/BJJ fighters.  When there were no time limits JJ/BJJ fighters could be taken down and survive, for hours.  The wrestler would eventually tire out or make a mistake and get submitted.  Stand up fighters are out of their league when it goes to the ground with them.

If it's a 1 on 1 fight, no time limits, no ref stoppages, which martial art do you chose as your base?

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

facebook has the fight here..

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=206009706221217

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I thought it was a good card. The wife, a few friends, and I watched it at Buffalo Wild Wings. I was really hoping Anderson would get caught once he started playing his games.

I think the best four to have is wrestling, BJJ, Judo, and some striking base personally I like Muay Thai. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VO3Ik2_zsSc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VO3Ik2_zsSc

Funny vid!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VO3Ik2_zsSc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VO3Ik2_zsSc

Funny vid!

Hahahaha!  Those hitler videos are funny.  I had not seen that one yet so thanks for posting it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

Any Pats fans who happen to be fight fans?  I tried to get this topic going in the misc sports thread prior to the fight but nobody responded.  Anyways...

Did anyone catch the fights last night?  There is a new MW champion and his name is Chris Weidman!  Awsome KO, Anderson got a bit cocky, clowned around and got KTFO!  Here is the ending for anyone interested. 

I love the UFC, as much as I root against anderson just about every fight, especially against Sonnet, it kinda sucks seeing someone that was undefeated for so long go down.  I don't really like anderson but you have to respect what's he done in the octagon.  I didn't get to see this fight but I won't miss the rematch.  That's gonna be the fight of the year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

Glad to see another former wrestler on the site.  I only wrestled in HS, 89 & 90  119 and 130 I was a little guy 5'9 130lbs my senior year.  Did you make it to the college level??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In response to quinzpatsfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Fun and probably much much harder, I doubt you run into a fish in college...  Impressive good for you, I'm jealous the wrestling program was recently shut down at the college I attended just before got there. 

Glad to see another former wrestler on the site.  I only wrestled in HS, 89 & 90  119 and 130 I was a little guy 5'9 130lbs my senior year.  Did you make it to the college level??

[/QUOTE]

Yes i did this past year! World's of difference between high school wrestling and college wrestling but way more fun.

[/QUOTE]