Off Topic: WW2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Off Topic: WW2

Since we were getting into a bit of WW2 discussion in the avatar thread I thought it might be interesting to take a break from arguing about the run game, defense and Brady's play with this topic.

To start I'm wondering if any here have ever played what are called "conflict simulations", or "wargames". Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW to name a few published these historical simulation games. Computers have virtually eliminated these types of things, though they were a niche hobby anyway, even in their heyday.

Anybody like military video games, such as: Company of Heroes, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms, Battlefield etc.? (these aren't to be considered historical)

Who is your favorite historical military figure? I'm a Patton admirer myself. I imagine there are many who are knowledgeable about his career.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Off Topic: WW2

I also am a huge Patton guy.  The movie might be my favorite of all-time.  That is my mature, intellectual side.

My young and immature side could talk about Call of Duty (COD) all day long.  I'm a fan of the new releases such as Modern Warfare and Black Ops II, however, my WWII bias makes World at War my favorite. 

I also used to love the Medal of Honor games, which all concerned WWII, but that game was on the playstation which is now outdated.  I've turned to COD with my Xbox 360.

Do you play at all, Babe?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Well, you know who my favorite war hero is...never played any video games, unless you count Asteroids and PacMan while waiting for my pizza back in the day.  I was a table hockey champ though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

the medal of honor games were great when they came out, they used to be my favorites up until a few years ago when the COD games started up. looking at them now the medal of honor games are really outdated. I like how they replay many of the battles in ww2..   on another note, i played a game that was about the cival war and many of the famous battles, antietam, gettysburg, ect, but it was the worst game ever. they don't have as much to play with back in that time, ita basically just shooting at someone up close, nothing tactical and only a couple of weapons.  love the ww2 games the best.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I haven't played a good WW2 game since East Front back in the 90s.  Anyone know any similar games or tank simulations or ww2 strat games?

Otherwise I'm an SC2 man.  Mass ravens ftw.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

And for historical military leaders, I gotta go with Heinz Guderian.  Only the atom bomb could stop his strategy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I also am a huge Patton guy.  The movie might be my favorite of all-time.  That is my mature, intellectual side.

My young and immature side could talk about Call of Duty (COD) all day long.  I'm a fan of the new releases such as Modern Warfare and Black Ops II, however, my WWII bias makes World at War my favorite. 

I also used to love the Medal of Honor games, which all concerned WWII, but that game was on the playstation which is now outdated.  I've turned to COD with my Xbox 360.

Do you play at all, Babe?

I play all the games I mentioned, and many many more. Lots of fantasy MMOs as well. All on PC. I have 41 games DLd on Steam alone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Anybody interested in what a "conflict simulation" is:

https://www.hexwar.com/secure/default.aspx

Very detailed simulations of battles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I enjoy the flying type games in which you go on missions and have to dog fight in addition to reaching your target objective and return to base!  Too many out there to name, or the mind can recall, to name! There was IL2 Stirmovik Simulator; JetFighter V: Homeland Protector; Jane's ATF: Advanced Tactical Fighter; F22 Lightning 3.. many others. 

PS - yes, Patton a fav of mine.  My brother was a tank commander, Adrams A1A in Iraq war.  Boy , did he have stories to tell!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Robert E. Lee - interviewed after the war he did say that during the entire war his army sometimes failed to take Union positions as attackers, but as defenders his army never lost one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I also am a huge Patton guy.

One interesting note on Patton:

The Germans designated their own armies by the commander's name. They designated all enemy armies by their number except one, whether Russian, British or American. Patton's was called Panzer-Armee Patton.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I also am a huge Patton guy.

One interesting note on Patton:

The Germans designated their own armies by the commander's name. They designated all enemy armies by their number except one, whether Russian, British or American. Patton's was called Panzer-Armee Patton.

I did not know that but that's cool.  "Patton, The American Tank!" lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Robert E. Lee - interviewed after the war he did say that during the entire war his army sometimes failed to take Union positions as attackers, but as defenders his army never lost one.

Some say at Gettysburg Lee knew he would probably lose, but went for it anyway to decide the war one way or the other; to in the end reduce the loss of life that a more prolonged war would surely cost. I think there is something to that.

And the stripping of his citizenship, only restored in the '70s is disgraceful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

He had to go for it all at Gettysburg - after 2 years of war the South was done, no more man reserves to draw from, no industry at all to supply the Army. He gambled and lost it all because of a fence that impeded Picketts charge....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

One of my favorite "military style" games I have played recently was Assassins Creed 3. It is a fictional story set in actual historical events during the Revolutionary War. You get to play as a fictional character during different historical events such as the Boston Tea Party and the Battle at Bunker Hill. I always found the Revolutionary War to be quite fascinating even though I am a Canadian. The graphics are amazing and you get to roam the cities of Boston and New York in the late 18th Century. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to saskpatsfan's comment:

One of my favorite "military style" games I have played recently was Assassins Creed 3. It is a fictional story set in actual historical events during the Revolutionary War. You get to play as a fictional character during different historical events such as the Boston Tea Party and the Battle at Bunker Hill. I always found the Revolutionary War to be quite fascinating even though I am a Canadian. The graphics are amazing and you get to roam the cities of Boston and New York in the late 18th Century. 

The RW is very interesting. Especially so is the attempt to invade Canada. I haven't played AC3 but did just DL AC2 in Steam. Quite a well polished game. AC3 looks awesome.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

I've played COD, MOH, RTCW and the Battlefields 1942, Vietnam, 2 and 2142. While the other franchise games are fun for a bit and great in the graphics dept., none of them compare to the mutliplayer gameplay of the Battlefield series.  I started playing 1942 when it was released in 2002 and am still playing it today so I'd say I got my money's worth.

My WW2 military guy would have to be Chesty Puller.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

i started with Socom 3 for ps3 that is my all time favorite game. i play call of duty but they aren't nearly as good.

two of my fav war heros are howard zinn and pat tillman. the generals are all scum including patton.

Remember, some of those generals were cannon fodder when they started. Patton was badly wounded in WW1. He was renowned for being close to the action despite being an Army commander. Patton would have blown his head off rather than be a coward.

Never tried Socom 3. Don't think it's available for the PC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to patsfaninpa420's comment:

I've played COD, MOH, RTCW and the Battlefields 1942, Vietnam, 2 and 2142. While the other franchise games are fun for a bit and great in the graphics dept., none of them compare to the mutliplayer gameplay of the Battlefield series.  I started playing 1942 when it was released in 2002 and am still playing it today so I'd say I got my money's worth.

My WW2 military guy would have to be Chesty Puller.

I played innumerable matches of BF1942. Awesome. I have to say for me it was the best shooter ever. Loved the planes, ships and vehicles being part of it all as well. One of the all-time great games for sure.

Would still play it but win7 seems to not like it much.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

i started with Socom 3 for ps3 that is my all time favorite game. i play call of duty but they aren't nearly as good.

two of my fav war heros are howard zinn and pat tillman. the generals are all scum including patton.

Remember, some of those generals were cannon fodder when they started. Patton was badly wounded in WW1. He was renowned for being close to the action despite being an Army commander. Patton would have blown his head off rather than be a coward.

Never tried Socom 3. Don't think it's available for the PC.

that doesn't make him a "hero".. i guess we would have to define the word hero. too bad he wasn't killed ww1

Why do you wish he was killed? Did you eve consider if he was that a less capable general would have lost many more lives than he did? The Germans revered his military capability.

(I never said anything about "heroes" in the opening post. My WW2 hero is Audie Murphy.)

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts