Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Off Topic: WW2

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Off Topic: WW2

I also am a huge Patton guy.  The movie might be my favorite of all-time.  That is my mature, intellectual side.

My young and immature side could talk about Call of Duty (COD) all day long.  I'm a fan of the new releases such as Modern Warfare and Black Ops II, however, my WWII bias makes World at War my favorite. 

I also used to love the Medal of Honor games, which all concerned WWII, but that game was on the playstation which is now outdated.  I've turned to COD with my Xbox 360.

Do you play at all, Babe?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Well, you know who my favorite war hero is...never played any video games, unless you count Asteroids and PacMan while waiting for my pizza back in the day.  I was a table hockey champ though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

the medal of honor games were great when they came out, they used to be my favorites up until a few years ago when the COD games started up. looking at them now the medal of honor games are really outdated. I like how they replay many of the battles in ww2..   on another note, i played a game that was about the cival war and many of the famous battles, antietam, gettysburg, ect, but it was the worst game ever. they don't have as much to play with back in that time, ita basically just shooting at someone up close, nothing tactical and only a couple of weapons.  love the ww2 games the best.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I haven't played a good WW2 game since East Front back in the 90s.  Anyone know any similar games or tank simulations or ww2 strat games?

Otherwise I'm an SC2 man.  Mass ravens ftw.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

And for historical military leaders, I gotta go with Heinz Guderian.  Only the atom bomb could stop his strategy.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I enjoy the flying type games in which you go on missions and have to dog fight in addition to reaching your target objective and return to base!  Too many out there to name, or the mind can recall, to name! There was IL2 Stirmovik Simulator; JetFighter V: Homeland Protector; Jane's ATF: Advanced Tactical Fighter; F22 Lightning 3.. many others. 

PS - yes, Patton a fav of mine.  My brother was a tank commander, Adrams A1A in Iraq war.  Boy , did he have stories to tell!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Robert E. Lee - interviewed after the war he did say that during the entire war his army sometimes failed to take Union positions as attackers, but as defenders his army never lost one.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I also am a huge Patton guy.

One interesting note on Patton:

The Germans designated their own armies by the commander's name. They designated all enemy armies by their number except one, whether Russian, British or American. Patton's was called Panzer-Armee Patton.

I did not know that but that's cool.  "Patton, The American Tank!" lol

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

He had to go for it all at Gettysburg - after 2 years of war the South was done, no more man reserves to draw from, no industry at all to supply the Army. He gambled and lost it all because of a fence that impeded Picketts charge....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

One of my favorite "military style" games I have played recently was Assassins Creed 3. It is a fictional story set in actual historical events during the Revolutionary War. You get to play as a fictional character during different historical events such as the Boston Tea Party and the Battle at Bunker Hill. I always found the Revolutionary War to be quite fascinating even though I am a Canadian. The graphics are amazing and you get to roam the cities of Boston and New York in the late 18th Century. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

I've played COD, MOH, RTCW and the Battlefields 1942, Vietnam, 2 and 2142. While the other franchise games are fun for a bit and great in the graphics dept., none of them compare to the mutliplayer gameplay of the Battlefield series.  I started playing 1942 when it was released in 2002 and am still playing it today so I'd say I got my money's worth.

My WW2 military guy would have to be Chesty Puller.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts