10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KYGABE. Show KYGABE's posts

Re: Off Topic: WW2

rickturd.. I reckon you have never serve in the military or have any relatives that served in it. The US armed forces which by the way is full of working class Americans (Real proud Americans) unlike you, fight for our freedom, the freedom you have to sit there cowardly behind a computer screen and call us "pawns". If you really are an American you wouldn't be using names towards our forefaters that fought so bravely for our freedom.

But your free to say anything you want, that's you right. But your also free to get the hell out my country (yes my country, born and raised and serve this country) and see for yourself how good we have it here in the US. I have been in others countries, places that you can't even spit in the ground or they would send you to jail. Go try it for yourself and then come back here and called the real war heros pawns.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Wow, this went in the dumper quick. And I thought I would start a thread to get away from arguing. Silly me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I enjoy the flying type games in which you go on missions and have to dog fight in addition to reaching your target objective and return to base!  Too many out there to name, or the mind can recall, to name! There was IL2 Stirmovik Simulator; JetFighter V: Homeland Protector; Jane's ATF: Advanced Tactical Fighter; F22 Lightning 3.. many others. 

PS - yes, Patton a fav of mine.  My brother was a tank commander, Adrams A1A in Iraq war.  Boy , did he have stories to tell!

[/QUOTE]

I've played a few flight combat simulator games back in the day. Nore of a land combat guy though. There have been some good naval ones too.

Yeah, was stories are quite enthralling. I'm very happy to report I have no first hand ones to tell though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to krismk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Babe,

Fun thread!  I always appreciated the German Staff General heading to the weekend "kriegspiel" in the Longest Day. whose role was to play the allies, and predicted an invasion in Normandy.

My friends and I used to play Fletcher Pratt's Naval Wargame with warship models we assembled and painted during summer vacations, then played on a pool table on rainy days, or out in the back yard when the sun was shining, using golf tees for splash marks.

Later in life, I was involved in unit simulations and readiness tests while serving in Europe.

One of the better computer games I enjoyed is Sega's Rome Total War.

Someone needs to write a play for Broadway setting Xenophon's Anabasis in this decade.

[/QUOTE]

I've played some naval miniatures. That's fun stuff. I also have RTW and ETW on my steam account. Those are very well done games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since we were getting into a bit of WW2 discussion in the avatar thread I thought it might be interesting to take a break from arguing about the run game, defense and Brady's play with this topic.

To start I'm wondering if any here have ever played what are called "conflict simulations", or "wargames". Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW to name a few published these historical simulation games. Computers have virtually eliminated these types of things, though they were a niche hobby anyway, even in their heyday.

Anybody like military video games, such as: Company of Heroes, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms, Battlefield etc.? (these aren't to be considered historical)

Who is your favorite historical military figure? I'm a Patton admirer myself. I imagine there are many who are knowledgeable about his career.

[/QUOTE]

Not into the electronic stuff, but I like to play Risk. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain is probably my favorite military character. "The Warrior Poet" indeed. The once Bowdoin College Professor has a way of expressing things that is one of a kind.

[/QUOTE]

They say Chamberlain's bayonet charge protecting the flank probably was the one thing that saved the day for the Yanks at Gettysburg. Hmm, come to think of it, I believe the New Englanders gave the Texans hell on that flank. Good omen for the upcoming game I hope!

Risk is always a fun game, though not too elaborate. Even though I've played and still own scores of very elaborate conflict simulations, Risk is still fun to play. Another fairly simple one is Axis and Allies. That's fun too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why do you wish he was killed? Did you eve consider if he was that a less capable general would have lost many more lives than he did? The Germans revered his military capability.

(I never said anything about "heroes" in the opening post. My WW2 hero is Audie Murphy.)

[/QUOTE]

sorry you're correct i thought you said war hero. none the less patton was scum. too bad we idolize war rather than peace.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, get off your soap box. A guy with a weird mustache wanted to change the world. Take it up with him.   This is not the thread for sanctimonious peace rhetoric. 

My favorite general is George Washington. Pretty simple choice IMO.  Runners up, Grant and John Pershing. 

As for WWII, my grandfather drove a tank destroyer under Patton.  He was captured by the Germans near Nancy, France in early Sept 1944. The Germans shot everyone else in his tank group, but him. He has no idea why he wasn't shot on the spot. He spent 6 months in 3 different camps, was rescued by the Russians in March of 1945. 

He could hear them coming from a mile away, as they were ripped to the bejesus on vodka, apparently.   Once they arrived, many prisoners tried to run, but the Russians just shot at anyting that moved.

He has a luger and a French Airman's pistol. The pistol he got in a trade on his way out of the camp before a German guard traded it for some chocolate.  Apparently, the Germans actually somewhat followed the rules of the Red Cross.  But, the Russian, French, etc, prisoners were treated brutally.

He and a couple of others were told to go east, to avoid the eventual carnage to the west. They rode rail cars in nothing more than t shirts and prison pajama bottoms, etc, and ended up in Odessa, Russia, and then on to Egyp. He and other survivors actually got healthy at Mussolini's retreat in Italy after that.  Completely wild.

To this day, he will not talk about the war itself, the battles he was in, etc, and I am not sure I'll ever learn much about that. I tried recording anything he would give up about 10 years ago, but he just wouldn't do it.

As for the video game discussion, the 2002 orginal Medal of Honor is still far and away the best. The ones that followed the orginal (I think it was the original).  Call of Duty wasn't as good and the rest were wannabes.  One difference was the realistic element of the weapons.   The Germans had the best stuff, but it wasn't reliable. Once you picked up the STG44, you were unstoppable.

I stopped playing video games a while ago to devote more time to playning guitar. They are just huge time wasters.   The Hitman games may have been the best, though.

[/QUOTE]

Great tales from your gramps. My barber used to tell me some. He said he was in an engineering outfit in the Battle of the Bulge. Most of the troops staioned there were green. It was supposed to be a "quiet" sector. They got orders the panzers were coming and had to blow a bridge. They waited until the German tanks were coming up the road out from some trees and blew the thing to hell, then ran for their lives. He said he was green and scared shytless. My uncle fought in the marines on Iwo and Okinawa. I won't even tell you the things he told me. Let's just say no quarter was asked, and nine was given.

They don't like to talk about it much. Too many friends lost to relive that nasty stuff. Not to mention the sheer terror.

MOH is the best produced of the shooters. And the MP44 was WAY ahead of its time. Hitler forbid it's production so they called it a "machine pistol" to trick him into producing it. It was the first assault rifle and the AK47 was inspired by it. Very interesting are the technical details of what an assault rifle is, how it was developed and why it is better than what came before it (and still the standard today).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Bravo, Babe, for getting this back on track.  A fun thread to be sure.  Hope it continues on the upswing.

Not a video game player but was honored back in my early Navy days to have served with a couple of WWII submariners. (Yeah, I'm that old)  A special breed, they.  Carried the fight to the Japanese until the industrial capacity of the U.S. could get up to speed.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KYGABE. Show KYGABE's posts

coward? I have spent over 17 years in the military, 6 deployments and still going strong, I do that because I love my country, the country you live in (your probably not American or born, since you failed to mention it)and have the freedom to speak and write whatever you want, but instead of being gratefull about it, you talk $#!+ about our past and present heros, and bring up some communist as a hero. Don't like this country or this goverment? It's simple, get the h3!! out it and find a better place that take in cowards like you.

And my screen name is not you bussiness but I let you know what it is, Is both my kids names togheter, don't need a moniker, not a loser like you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to KYGABE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

coward? I have spent over 17 years in the military, 6 deployments and still going strong, I do that because I love my country, the country you live in (your probably not American or born, since you failed to mention it)and have the freedom to speak and write whatever you want, but instead of being gratefull about it, you talk $#!+ about our past and present heros, and bring up some communist as a hero. Don't like this country or this goverment? It's simple, get the h3!! out it and find a better place that take in cowards like you.

And my screen name is not you bussiness but I let you know what it is, Is both my kids names togheter, don't need a moniker, not a loser like you.

[/QUOTE]

Don't let the virtual soldiers bother you. Just like the fantasy GMs like babe they think they know because they play a game while sitting comfortably on their couches. In reality they lack the nuts to ever serve in real life.