Offense Only Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Offense Only Draft

Everybody thinks our biggest weakness is our defense.  But if you consider that the defense is in a transition to youth and you look at the age of the defenders vs. the age of the offense you quickly see that its the offense that is in need of youth infusion.  There are only 2 players on defense that are over 30, Jarvis Green and A. Thomas.  Green may not be resigned and Thomas will likely be cut or traded.  However, 10 key players on offense are over 30 with 4 of 5 on the OL over 30.  Over 30 guys are: Brady, Moss, Morris, Taylor, Neal, Koppen, Kaczur, Light, Faulk, and Watson.

So, I thought it would be fun to select a draft with only offensive players.  Maybe we'll sign Peppers or Dansby and the young guys start to develop.  Heck for years the Colts were among the best teams without a dominate defense.  Brady is every bit the player as Manning so why don't we try the same thing, build your team around your best player and just blow teams out by outscoring them.

Here's what I might do and I would love to see what others would do if you only drafted offense.  All of these skill players are very fast for their size.  Brady will tear the opposition apart.  He might even break his 2007 season numbers even without Welker.  Who would you take if only drafting offense in this win-by-shoot-out plan?

#22   WR Golden Tate
    #44   WR/RB/KR Dexter McCluster
    #47   TE Aaron Hernandez
    #53   RB Joe McKnight
    #117 RB LaGarrette Blount
    6th    OG Marshall Newhouse
    7th    TE Nathan Overbay

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Offense Only Draft

30 yo is not over the hill. It is mid-prime/late-prime.

RBs are the first to get old, and that happens around 31/32.

Our offense is experienced. Our defense is not. But our defense lacks more special players than our offense does.

Both sides need help. I'll leave it at that. I hope we draft 2 and 2 with our first four picks, but if I had to go 3 and 1, I'd put 3 on D.

Our D has lost Rodney, Bruschi, Vrabel, and Seymour almost all at once. That's a ton of leadership and production lost on the defensive side of the ball.

Young doesn't equal good, in this case anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Surprised that you aren't addressing the OL sooner.  Light will probably be with us one more year.  We don't know about Mankins.  I would like to replace Koppen.  Connolly at RG and Vollmer at RT.

I don't think Tate will be there at 22.  My thinking is Dwyer would be there before Tate.  The timing just doesn't feel right for McCluster.  Looks like a Faulk replacement....kinda.  Blount is the hot topic here.  I wonder if the Pats would pass on him.  The combine interviews are going to be big for this guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Love to see B lount in a Pats uniform.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

that  draft sets the Pats back 5 years, maybe 10.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Offense Only Draft:
    Surprised that you aren't addressing the OL sooner.  Light will probably be with us one more year.  We don't know about Mankins.  I would like to replace Koppen.  Connolly at RG and Vollmer at RT. I don't think Tate will be there at 22.  My thinking is Dwyer would be there before Tate.  The timing just doesn't feel right for McCluster.  Looks like a Faulk replacement....kinda.  Blount is the hot topic here.  I wonder if the Pats would pass on him.  The combine interviews are going to be big for this guy.
    Posted by garytx

Nobody wants to put their offense only draft up?  I would perhaps go Asamoah or Veldheer at #53.  I would start Vollmer at LT, Connolly at C and Asamoah at RG, with Light and Koppen backing up.  If Blount didn't have that explosion, he'd be a first round pick.

McCluster is not a Faulk replacement, McKnight would be.  DM is a unique and explosive player and would be used more as a WR, on screens, reverses and the kick return game.  If Tate isn't there, I would target hopefully one of the remaining top OTs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

#22 WR Golden Tate
    #44 RB Ryan Mathews
    #47 TE Aaron Hernandez
    #53 QB Tim Tebow/OT Kyle Calloway
    #117 TE Dennis Pitta
    6th PR/KR/WR/RB Trindon Holliday
    7th OT Chris Marinelli
    7th FB John Conner

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

30 yo is not over the hill. It is mid-prime/late-prime. RBs are the first to get old, and that happens around 31/32. Our offense is experienced. Our defense is not. But our defense lacks more special players than our offense does. Both sides need help. I'll leave it at that. I hope we draft 2 and 2 with our first four picks, but if I had to go 3 and 1, I'd put 3 on D. Our D has lost Rodney, Bruschi, Vrabel, and Seymour almost all at once. That's a ton of leadership and production lost on the defensive side of the ball. Young doesn't equal good, in this case anyway.
    Posted by arodrambone

You guys missed the spirit of this post - follow the Colts example - blow people out.  I'm not arguing the defense doesn't need any help, of course it does but not as much as people think.  Our Defense is very young loaded with high draft picks and they will improve with experience.  Let's look at our key players, age as of 9/12/2010 and where they were acquired.

CB: (2nd) Wheatley-24, (4th) Wilhite-26, (2nd) Butler, (F/A) Bodden-28
    S: (2nd) Chung-23, (1st) Meriweather-26, (4th) Sanders-26, (F/A) McGowen-26
    LB: (3rd) Crable-25, (1st) Mayo-24, (UDFA) Guyton-24, (3rd) McKenzie-24, (7th) TBC-30, (F/A) Thomas-33, (UDFA) Eric Alexander-28, (F/A) Rob Ninkovich-26
    DL: (1st) Warren-29, (1st) Wilfork-28, (UDFA) Wright-28, (6th) Pryor-24, (2nd) Brace-23

Assuming we resign Bodden, sign or tag Wilfork and he plays, we really need only 1 LB and 1 DL.  I didn't include Green or Woods because they are likely gone. Springs is 35 and not worth his contract, expect him to be cut.  Burgess at 32 may or may not return.  I think we will make a play for Peppers and/or Dansby and they would fill one hole.  When Mar 5 rolls around we will have only Springs and Thomas under contract and over 30. and both will likely be cut or traded.

Let's look at the offense:

OL: (2nd) Light-32, (1st) Mankins-28, (5th) Koppen-31, (F/A) Connolly-28, (3rd) Kaczur-31, (2nd) Vollmer-26, (F/A) Mark LeVoir-28, (4th) Rich Orhnberger-24
    QB: (6th) Tom Brady-33, (F/A) Hoyer-24
    WR: (1st) Randy Moss-33, (7th) Julian Edelman-24, (3rd) Brandon Tate-22
    TE: (F/A) Chris Baker-30, (1st) Ben Watson-29
    RB: (2nd) Kevin Faulk-34, (F/A) Fred Taylor-34, (F/A) Sammy Morris-33, (1st) Lawrence Maroney-25, (UDFA) BJ Green-Ellis-25

I'm not too concerned with the age of the line since early 30s is still relatively young for OL.  Neal could be gone and Mankins could be gone next year so we could be thin at OG.  This is probably Light's last year so OT depth will need to be addressed soon.  WR really worries me.  Welker is likely out for all of 2010 and may never be the same player.  This is Moss' last year and he might not be back leaving us only with Edelman and unproven (from his injury) Tate.  If RBs are old at 31/32, we have three old dudes.  I think Faulk has 1-2 years left the way he's used but Morris and Taylor can't stay on the field and both should go.

So for all of you that said my draft will destroy the team, look at the 30s highlighted on Offense and Defense and tell me again, what needs a youth infusion.  When your best player is a top 3 QB of all time, don't you want to give him weapons and let him do what he did in 2007?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Balance with an offensive skew.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

#22 WR Golden Tate #44 RB Ryan Mathews #47 TE Aaron Hernandez #53 QB Tim Tebow/OT Kyle Calloway #117 TE Dennis Pitta 6th PR/KR Trindon Holliday 7th OT Chris Marinelli 7th FB John Conner
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

That's the spirit, thanks Mb.  Your first 3 picks are all explosive players in huge positions of needs.  I don't know how people can look at this team and not say WR, TE and RB are as big if not bigger priorities than DL and LB.  Tebow at 53 is interesting.  People forget he's a winner and they only look at his mechanics and say he can't play in the NFL.  They said Doug Flutie was too short too.  A pair of TEs and a pair of OTs, I like it.  If Tate is gone, I'm thinking a top OT there instead.  I would love to find a big, strong and mobile RT to replace Kaczur and bookend him with Vollmer.

Mathews and Maroney tandum with a FB.  If we go FB, I think I like Jason Harmon better.  He's a converted TE and played well at FB in the TvN game.  At 6-2, 216, 4.58 he showed off his hands and speed.  We miss having that Patrick Pass, Heath Evans type that can get out alone in the flat for 10 yards.  Might have to go get him in the 6th round though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Balance with an offensive skew.
    Posted by Tcal2

I agree in reality but this is an offense only blog.  I say let's go get Peppers or Dansby in free agency and take one defender in the draft (either OLB or DL) but for the purposes of this, I might go with the following after further research because I think Golden Tate will be gone and we need to do more to help protect Brady.

#22 Anthony Davis OT Rutgers 6-6, 325, 5.16  Davis will only be 20 at the start of the season.  He was the most heralded recruit in Rutgers history.  He started at RG his freshman year earning Freshman All American honors.  He then played mostly LT his soph and Junior seasons earning 2nd team All American.  He's an excellent run blocker and pass blocker.  Given his ability to play Guard or Tackle his athletism make him an ideal RT or RG in the NFL.  He's young so give him a year to learn and get coached up and he'd be in the mix in 2011 at multiple positions, just the type of player BB likes.
    #44 Ryan Mathews RB Fresno State, 5-11, 220, 4.48.   Hoping his playing against less than elite competition causes him to drop to us here.  Could be our every down back of the future.  He has the same size and speed as Maroney but hopefully dances less.
    #47 Damian Williams WR - USC 6-1, 195, 4.49.  Williams was an All-Pac-10 first team selection in 2009 as both a wide receiver and punt returner. He also won All-American third team honors and was USC's team MVP in 2009. He had 70 receptions for 1,010 yards with 6 touchdowns this past season (without a good QB) and was sixth nationally in punt returns with a 14.2 average taking 2 to the house.  He has great hands, runs great routes and catches the ball in traffic.  Good speed for his size, would be an excellent compliment to Moss if Tate isn't plus can take over punt return duties.
    #53 Aaron Hernandez TE - Florida, 6-2, 250, 4.62.  Enough has been written about him.
    #117 Colin Peek TE - Alabama 6-6, 255, 4.84.  With Watson likely moving on leaving only Chris Baker at the position drafting two TEs in this offense only Mock is not a bad idea.  Peek caught a career-high 26 passes for 313 yards and three scores in his only season with the Tide, earning second-team all-SEC honors. While his numbers weren't eye-popping, his stout blocking and critical touchdown receptions against Auburn and Florida were key in Alabama's run to the national championship.  Peek lacks the speed so en vogue in today's NFL passing game, but his size, strength as a blocker and soft, secure hands make him one of the better all-around tight ends in the draft and the perfect compliment to Hernandez.
    6th - Jason Harmon FB Florida Atlantic 6-3, 216, 4.59 We miss having that pass catching FB like Patrick Pass and Heath Evans.  It was a missing dimension last year since FBs are often unaccounted for out on the flat getting you a quick 10 yards.  Harmon, a converted TE impressed scouts at the TvN game.  Florida Atlantic's Jason Harmon had impressive hands for the Nation squad all week and made another catch in the game after a fine release from the line. His biggest play came sealing the edge to free up Toney Baker for a 33-yard gain. At 216 pounds, scouts would not expect that sort of execution. Maneri has some distance to go before he puts on a show worthy of what teammate, H-back Jason Harmon, has during these practices. Harmon made sensational receptions all week -- from one-handed catches on the sideline to adjusting to high and low throws over the middle. Though he doesn't look explosive when running east-west, he did show a bit of wiggle swimming past a linebacker to get down the seam in a hurry. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com
    7th Trindon Holiday WR/KR LSU 5-5, 162, 4.27.  Most likely will go undrafted due to his size.  I like him as a KR and a situational weapon on offense.  Texas vs. Nation Game Review: On the Texas side, the game was mostly about LSU speedster Trindon Holliday. He showed great balance, quickness and elusiveness with the ball in his hands playing running back, receiver and returner. He connected with Perriloux on another 67-yard play for a touchdown, going up to trap the ball against his chest near the sideline and getting downfield quickly for the score. He consistently flipped field position on punts and kicks with quick decisions and pure speed. The return success might be viewed as a mirage by scouts, who know most of players covering kicks in this game are inexperienced on special teams and Virginia Tech's Brent Bowden was very inconsistent putting air under the ball. Holliday did drop a pitch from Perrilloux and a reverse in the fourth quarter, bringing back memories of several drops during the week of practices. And his 5-foot-5 height is troublesome for some teams. Still, his quickness is hard for scouts to ignore, and could get him a late draft slot. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

this won't happen but i'll play along

#22 Mike Iupati OG
    #44 Aaron Hernandez
    #47 Jonathan Dwyer RB (Georgia Tech)
    #53 Jared Veldeer OT
    #117 Naaman Roosevelt WR (Buffalo)
    6th Dennis Pitta TE (BYU)
    7th round Richard Dickson TE/FB (LSU)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Offense Only Draft : That's the spirit, thanks Mb.  Your first 3 picks are all explosive players in huge positions of needs.  I don't know how people can look at this team and not say WR, TE and RB are as big if not bigger priorities than DL and LB.  Tebow at 53 is interesting.  People forget he's a winner and they only look at his mechanics and say he can't play in the NFL.  They said Doug Flutie was too short too.  A pair of TEs and a pair of OTs, I like it.  If Tate is gone, I'm thinking a top OT there instead.  I would love to find a big, strong and mobile RT to replace Kaczur and bookend him with Vollmer. Mathews and Maroney tandum with a FB.  If we go FB, I think I like Jason Harmon better.  He's a converted TE and played well at FB in the TvN game.  At 6-2, 216, 4.58 he showed off his hands and speed.  We miss having that Patrick Pass, Heath Evans type that can get out alone in the flat for 10 yards.  Might have to go get him in the 6th round though.
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet, thanks.

Yes, I'm higher on Tebow than most, I'd rather give a kid like him a shot vs. taking a chance on a player that is falling due to character concerns and taking plays off etc.

I'm just sure how I feel about a 216 pound fullback.  I want the big 240 pound hammer that can punish LB's and open up holes/running lanes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Ok Faucet here's my ALL offence mock as much at it hurts to do it, I want defensive studs but here we go:

#22 Bruce Campbell OT
    #44 Golden Tate WR or Mardy Gilyard WR

#47 Rob Gronkowski TE

#53 Dexter McCluster RB/WR/KR/PR

4th Rnd Riley Cooper WR

6th Rnd Lonyae Miller RB

7th Dace Richardson OG

7th Jeff Cumberland TE

Sections
Shortcuts