Offense showing more variety

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Offense showing more variety

It's become popular to criticize Bill O'Brien, but I thought the offensive play calling was pretty good today.  If nothing else, the Pats varied their plays more than usual. Here's some of what I noticed and liked:
    • A couple of I-formation runs with the new fullback. They didn't work all that well, but nice to see a new wrinkle to the offense
    • The screen to BJGE--nice to see one of these work for a change
    • The reverses
    • Getting Hernandez involved in the running game
    • Deep balls to Ocho and Hernandez--both incomplete, but hey, it's nice to see them try to stretch the defense
    • Continuing to involve Ridley more in the offense
    Not all of this worked--and many of our most successful plays were still the usual short passes to Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez--but it was nice to see some wrinkles added.  If nothing else, BO'B and BB are giving other teams some different things to think about for the playoffs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Offense showing more variety

Prolate...   would we EVER discuss the effectiveness of O'Brien's play calling if all the plays he called worked?  Look at it this way.. the Pats O scored 42 points today and O'Brien is the OC.  You do give some credit to him now, but, it seems when plays DO NOT work, we blame O'Brien for that?  We see a run play stuffed at the line and we scream at O'Brien for calling that run play when the line failed to block or the back failed to make the cut into the open.  Come on man.. the PLAYERS need to execute what is called, don't they?  Seems he is given all the blame when the offense is not clicking but hardly ANY praise when it is!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

good post - credit when it is due.

BOB called a good game and he chewed out the offense after we kicked a FG from a 1st-and-goal at the 3 yard line- that was exceptional - loved it :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Only travesty he made was not subbing out Woodhead in the 2nd half on the goaline on 1st down. Dumb.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Offense showing more variety:
    [QUOTE]Prolate...   would we EVER discuss the effectiveness of O'Brien's play calling if all the plays he called worked?  Look at it this way.. the Pats O scored 42 points today and O'Brien is the OC.  You do give some credit to him now, but, it seems when plays DO NOT work, we blame O'Brien for that?  We see a run play stuffed at the line and we scream at O'Brien for calling that run play when the line failed to block or the back failed to make the cut into the open.  Come on man.. the PLAYERS need to execute what is called, don't they?  Seems he is given all the blame when the offense is not clicking but hardly ANY praise when it is!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Yeah, which is why I started this thread.  I think he deserves some praise for this game.  What's funny is he did exactly what a lot of posters on this site have been calling for in the first quarter--putting Brady under center and running the ball--and he's still getting crucified because those plays didn't work so well. I think, though, they're trying to work some new stuff into the offense to give us some more diversity in the playoffs. Not all of it is going to pan out--this is still a team with a limited number of weapons on offense--but I really like how he's trying to take guys like Hernandez and use them differently (as a runner) and work in Ridley.  It might be just enough to keep us from getting too one-dimensional when we face good defenses in the playoffs. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Offense showing more variety : Yeah, which is why I started this thread.  I think he deserves some praise for this game.  What's funny is he did exactly what a lot of posters on this site have been calling for in the first quarter--putting Brady under center and running the ball--and he's still getting crucified because those plays didn't work so well. I think, though, they're trying to work some new stuff into the offense to give us some more diversity in the playoffs. Not all of it is going to pan out--this is still a team with a limited number of weapons on offense--but I really like how he's trying to take guys like Hernandez and use them differently (as a runner) and work in Ridley.  It might be just enough to keep us from getting too one-dimensional when we face good defenses in the playoffs. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]
    EXACTLY... and RWTK is leading this pack! The Patriots offense, literally, has to be firing on all cylinders all game long to satisfy some of these posters. IMHO, O'Brien IS trying to mix it up, but, seems the O doesn't click every time as a result, who gets blamed??!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

LOL you wanted offense like the 2nd quarter when they started the game with the exact offense you wanted them to use and didn't move the ball. Joke poster Rusty confirmed. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hey, RWTK.. when O'Brien leaves the Pats for the Penn State job, are you going to BB and apply for the OC job?  Seems you know a heck of a lot more about pro football and offensive play calling than both BB and o'Brien!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Easier Punt? They stopped them a the 18 and the D proceeded to let them drive 82 yards for a TD. Your an endless array of excuses. So a draw play would have helped them a bunch on that sequence? Laughable.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Hey, RWTK.. when O'Brien leaves the Pats for the Penn State job, are you going to BB and apply for the OC job?  Seems you know a heck of a lot more about pro football and offensive play calling than both BB and o'Brien!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

wouldnt take too much to see better than obrian

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Polite got a call to block.  He's the brand new fullback.  I give him a 60% chance of sticking with the team, which isn't a ringing endorsement, but he adds his little bit to any defense's confusion.

- - -

Part of this crazy game was Buffalo folding.  For one thing, they were punishing their star receiver by benching him, although they might be afraid that he'd dog the entire game.  He finished the game uninjured, which made his agent quite happy, and now he wants a huge payday.  Then Buffalo lost a second receiver.  Fitzpatrick looked like a guy losing his nerve completely, and Buffalo's backup running back didn't do so well either.

Buffalo's D didn't have this excuse.  They just surrendered and sat back on their heels.  Not that the Patriots didn't wreck them.  49 points has to be a train wreck.  And not that Buffalo didn't get every chance on earth with a 21 point lead.  They could have knocked off the #1 seed in the whole NFL, but did they fight back? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from taljr. Show taljr's posts

Pat's have been a funny team. In the first half of the season they couldn't finish strong and now they start so flat. They need to play 4 quarters to go anywhere in the playoffs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I have this feeling that Edelman in the backfield is a setup.  Teams will see those running plays on tape and get cued in on a run.  Then, if the Pats get behind and need a spark, he busts out a pass. 

I think those few plays he's back there could be a setup for the future twist.

Sections
Shortcuts