offensive coordinator

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

offensive coordinator

We need a new one. The plays were so predictable and all he does is throw little 5 yard passes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Re: offensive coordinator

We haven't had a real OC since Charlie left.  Captain ego feels he can have any schlub call plays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

yes, they need to start going down field more. but is he really the OC?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to offensive coordinator:
    [QUOTE]We need a new one. The plays were so predictable and all he does is throw little 5 yard passes.
    Posted by xxcodyfxx[/QUOTE]

Not true.

There were many 2 and 3 yard passes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I thought the same thing, as I watched the game today. If I know, from my couch 2,000 miles away, what the next play is going to be, you can bet the Jets do too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

My thoughts too. 2 RB's in the BF. Run or protect and allow Brady and Moss to hook up. Short screens and dumps only work really well when the CB plays off. I don't think that they did today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Does Brady have the authority to audible?  Asked 3 times without an answer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

In Response to Re: offensive coordinator:
    [QUOTE]Does Brady have the authority to audible?  Asked 3 times without an answer.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

I think so based upon all his finger-pointing and arms waving in the shot gun.  Brady reminded me of Petty Manning, except for the results which were dreadful yesterday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

If Brady has the ability to audible at the line and he is not checking to run plays, and that is the problem, that is on Brady. 

I think Manning sometimes has this problem.  When you are one of the best QB's in the league (manning, brady) with the experience they have, sometimes they have to stop thinking they can do everything and let the other players do things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

They didn't even run a RB screen when the team blitzed all day. They also didn't go downfield at all for 2 games in a row. Something isn't right. That being said they had opportunities to win that game and either got a penalty and flat out didn't execute which is on everybody. Especially Brady.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Josh McDanials was the OC on the 2007 squad that scored more points then any other team in history so i would say we have in fact had a very good OC since Charlie left.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to offensive coordinator:
    [QUOTE]We need a new one. The plays were so predictable and all he does is throw little 5 yard passes.
    Posted by xxcodyfxx[/QUOTE]

Thank you for pointing out the real problem with the PAT's.  I've said this before and I'm saying it again, THE SINGLE BIGGEST LOSS THE PAT'S HAVE SUFFERED IN BILL'S TENURE WAS THE LOSS OF CHARLIE WEISS.

It's something we've never quite recovered from.  We were in the red zone multiple times against the Jets and instead of powering it in, we tried to finesse it.  Charlie would have run some counter and off tackle and pounded it in, only when we couldnt squeeze it in with the first couple of downs would he run a short play action to a tight end.

The formations were the same in the 2nd half that they were in the first, two split out to the left and Moss in motion on the right.  I dont see any halftime adjustments? 

We averaged 4.2 yards rushing as a team but Maroney and Taylor, our horses, averaged nearly 6 yards per carry.  We were running effectively.  But it seems as if the top brass didnt learn a lesson from 2007 that a passing team isnt nearly as effective in a tight match as a team that can run the ball.  2007 was a fantasy stat geek's dream, but it's not how you win in the post season or against divisional opponents who look at every game against us as a super bowl.

I miss the days of smash mouth football, power running and an attacking defense that was constantly fresh because they didnt spend the entire game out on the field.  Charlie Weiss had a simple philosophy, get first downs not touch downs, be good in third down situations and always get 6 when you get in the red zone.  I think Bill needs a real offensive play caller; he is the defensive guru and he needs a polar opposite on the other side of the ball.

Let's hope Notre Dame crashes and burns...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Good points, All.

I particularly HATE a shotgun formation on 1st down, let alone in the red zone.  Does anyone remember how masterful the young Tom Brady was at play-action?...frequently the camera was searching the field to find the RB.

Where has that gone?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I have to agree with some of what you say Wozzy.  I am not a fan of high-powered pass-oriented offenses.  OK, they make for great viewing on most occasions, and they lead to great regular season records.  The 1999 Rams and the 2006 Colts were the only "pass first" teams to win the SB in the last 2 decades.  The Rams also had a powerful running game.  

I'm not an NFL historian so maybe I'm overlooking a team.  Even if I missed one or two, I think the stats are obvious; it's hard to win the SB without an offense that can beat you both ways.  Most all SB winners had fairly balanced offenses that were pretty good at both running and passing.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to offensive coordinator : Thank you for pointing out the real problem with the PAT's.  I've said this before and I'm saying it again, THE SINGLE BIGGEST LOSS THE PAT'S HAVE SUFFERED IN BILL'S TENURE WAS THE LOSS OF CHARLIE WEISS. It's something we've never quite recovered from.  We were in the red zone multiple times against the Jets and instead of powering it in, we tried to finesse it.  Charlie would have run some counter and off tackle and pounded it in, only when we couldnt squeeze it in with the first couple of downs would he run a short play action to a tight end. The formations were the same in the 2nd half that they were in the first, two split out to the left and Moss in motion on the right.  I dont see any halftime adjustments?  We averaged 4.2 yards rushing as a team but Maroney and Taylor, our horses, averaged nearly 6 yards per carry.  We were running effectively.  But it seems as if the top brass didnt learn a lesson from 2007 that a passing team isnt nearly as effective in a tight match as a team that can run the ball.  2007 was a fantasy stat geek's dream, but it's not how you win in the post season or against divisional opponents who look at every game against us as a super bowl. I miss the days of smash mouth football , power running and an attacking defense that was constantly fresh because they didnt spend the entire game out on the field.  Charlie Weiss had a simple philosophy, get first downs not touch downs, be good in third down situations and always get 6 when you get in the red zone.  I think Bill needs a real offensive play caller; he is the defensive guru and he needs a polar opposite on the other side of the ball. Let's hope Notre Dame crashes and burns...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Charlie Weis would not return to the Patriots if he was fired by Notre Dame.
    He and Romeo Crennel were among the lowest paid coordinators in the NFL.
    Before he was hired by N.D., his agent was trying to find another job for
    Charlie in the NFL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

I agree with russgriswold.  Run the ball until the defense thinks you are going to run every play, or until they show they can stop the run.  Let the run slow down the blitz, and then the passing game will be much more effective all around.  Screens, etc will work much better this way.  You can almost tell every play what the Pats are going to do. they really need to be a little more creative, but most of all they need to pound the ball.  They also need to develop an attitude, and get mean and nasty.  Other teams are getting better, and we need to come prepared for a fight every game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Most all SB winners had fairly balanced offenses that were pretty good at both running and passing.  
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

You bring up another good point.  I remember when Charlie was here we used to average about 50% rushing attempts to 50% passing attempts.  I swear Charlie would look at the halftime stats and realize where he had been slacking off than make up the difference in the next half. 

We only attempted 20 rushing plays to the Jets 31, yet we attempted 47 passes.  We only converted 33% on third down attempts... that's not going to get it done.  It seems simplistic to say we should run and equal amount of running plays as pass plays, but thats how you confuse a defense, we've become a passing team to our own detriment.  I was screaming at the TV on sunday for them to "run the ball!"  Especially in the red zone, I was furious...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Just got done teaching my best friend's son how to say "pound the rock" and gave a reasonable explanation as to what it meant. We have a stable of backs, not one feature back we rely heavily on so.....uummmmm pound the rock. We need balance on offense. This was clearly a field position/time killer type game for most of the game. Would have like to have seen more play action and more deep balls. Everyone talks about the dropped balls, but we all know Moss and Galloway are deep ball threats; to convert them each into slot guys that hammered would useless and futile.

One thing that bothers me is that the team is playing tentative; like everyone is worried about getting flagged or getting their skirt dirty. It's an aggressive game, if the other team can attain sustained agression they got a shot to win. Things aren't nearly as bad as the seem T Rex gets to keep his job for three months; and Belichick will gameplan to destroy the jets in the re-match at the Razor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Josh McDaniels is missed..not Charlie Weis..he hasn't been here in 5 years. The 2007 offense was the best..most balanced.(even though they threw for 300 a game they ran for close to 120 a game).Weis was way gone. Even last year they averaged 140 yards a game running..just as good as Weis years and still threw well under Matt Cassel. It's Mcdaniels who is missed (just check out Denver's nice balanced offense this past weekend )  . It was laughable to hear people say McD wouldn't be missed  "Tom Brady calls his own plays..runs the offense..blah blah blah" "BB will run the O".
    The fact of the matter is the Patriots and most teams are most effective with an established offensive coordinator..not this committee that people think would be OK. They lost that OC in McDaniels. And the guy calling the plays was the old OC at DUKE..there's a hellava successful college football program.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Josh McDaniels is missed..not Charlie Weis..he hasn't been here in 5 years. The 2007 offense was the best..most balanced.(even though they threw for 300 a game they ran for close to 120 a game).
    Posted by rocher[/QUOTE]

Try doing that as the weather gets cold and see how that works, especially playing in Foxboro.  And what was the result in 2007?

I try to think about 2002, 2004 and 2005 when thinking how to right the ship, now if this were fantasy football...?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Does Brady have the authority to audible?  Asked 3 times without an answer.

Are you an idiot?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]If Brady has the ability to audible at the line and he is not checking to run plays, and that is the problem, that is on Brady.  I think Manning sometimes has this problem.  When you are one of the best QB's in the league (manning, brady) with the experience they have, sometimes they have to stop thinking they can do everything and let the other players do things.

You must not have watched the game. Brady called audibles. The crowd was a very significant factor in this game. Almost as much as the time you guys had to pump artificial crowd noise into your stadium. I'm pretty sure Brady is universally recognized as the smartest QB in football, The QB with the highest winning % in football, and the QB with the most Super bowls among active players in football. Somewhere lost among these accolades is QB who recognizes the defense the best and calls the appropriate audible at the line of scrimmage!  I'm not sure how many times you asked the ?  but does that answer it for you?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

[QUOTE]yes, they need to start going down field more. but is he really the OC?
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

YOU gotta BE kidding ME

Brady was being creamed every time he tried to throw it more than 5 yards downfield...

And hello...

The Offense is the samed damned one they've been running since CW left, Brady and his 50 pass attempts avg in 2007... Brady threw 11 or 12 in seven minutes he played of the 2008 season, he was on mark for at least 50 pass attempts in that game.

And he's averaging about 50 pass attempts now...

Welcome to the new "greatest show on turf" team... and like like the last one, I expect Brady to get knocked around like a ping pong ball until, like Kurt Warner, he's a shell of his former self or IRed again...

If Brady wanted to call 50 run plays instead of 50 pass plays, he could have... McD or no McD doesn't matter... Brady is calling his own number because he wants to sling it no matter what he's facing out there.

And thats why the Giants, KC, Bills and Jets have been able to get at him constantly... everyone knows its the Air Brady show... and what they need to do to stop it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We have 5 RBs on the roster; we cut a LB so we can keep the 5th back and we don't run the ball. Why we stop pounding the ball with Fred Taylor is beyond me. If a RB ran the ball for 2 yards when he first touches the ball, then 5, then 8 yards you shouldn't switch out backs and decide now that it's time to get pass happy. Taylor was getting in his groove, he was starting to look like the Twinkle toe Freddy that we needed. He was making defenders miss, do you know when was the last time we had an effective RB was? 2004 with Corey Dillion, can someone tell me what happen that year? Look at what Drew Brees is doing in the Bayou, he is doing it because he has an effective, not even a good one, back. The Patriots became about entertainment and flash and forgot that it all means zilch if you don't bring the Lombardi home in February. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dash4pats. Show dash4pats's posts

I don't think Charlie Weiss can fix this situation - Josh did just fine but yes, it's the new OC! I'm sure of it!!
    • Disturbing trend: Was it just me or did it seem to others that Patriots STOPPED DOING WHAT WORKED AS SOON AS IT STARTED WORKING??!!!!
    • Did we REALLY get away from Pressuring and blitzing Sanchez when the game was on the line?
    • Did BB really just stick with a 4-man rush on passing downs after NY kept converting 1st downs??? Against an O-line FULL of 1st-round picks?? Really??
    • Why did Patriots STOP RUNNING THE BALL after getting 1st downs on runs?? We have Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris and even Maroney - why did NE not let the RUN setup the PASS instead of trying to do it the other way around with a blitz-happy defense???
    • Why did Tom Brady keep going back to empty sets when they did not work on 3 previous drives??? Is this what it means to have a playcaller that has never called an NFL game???

Guys, these are questions that I as a fan have and as a football analyst am at a loss to explain. At one point I was convinced that BB was using this game to EVALUATE THE TEAM and some players, and PLAYS!! I was convinced that he didn't want to win the game that bad (yes I know he wanted to win - I just don't think he wanted to win as badly as the Jets!).

I truly in my heart believe we could have won the game yesterday with adjustments THAT NEVER CAME!! And if they did, NE STOPPED DOING WHAT WORKED immediately!!

Breaks my heart but somehow I have to believe that more good will come out of it than bad - NY has now played their superbowl and they've won in their minds. Good for them - noone will miss them at the REAL PARTY in February and I STILL believe the Patriots needed this game to figure out how to win against Baltimore and the Jets in November.

Sections
Shortcuts