Offers made

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

Offers made

In Bill Belichecks most recent press conference he commented that he has already recieved calls regarding his first 3 draft picks. I personally feel that (and my opinion means nothing)if they are not used or packaged to move up then they are wasted.

Living in Pa I repeatedly have to suffer hearing the Steelers fans lawd the excellence of the Steelers and I realize that their franchise is top notch, but I do not agree that their team is in any way, shape or form better than NE's. One area I do feel they exelled at is their ability to bring in first round talent that makes an immediate contribution.

My point in this is that NE needs to take a more proactive approach to the draft and draft some real talent early instead of waiting and hoping that it works out like the Steelers have done.

I hear alot on this website about trolls and wanna be GM's, my intention is not to bash the organization in any way or thinking that I know better. My prespective come entirely from what I see and feel and I know players need time to develop, but  trading back in my opinion is a detriment not an advantage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Re: Offers made

In Response to Offers made:
    [QUOTE] In Bill Belichecks most recent press conference he commented that he has already recieved calls regarding his first 3 draft picks. I personally feel that (and my opinion means nothing)if they are not used or packaged to move up then they are wasted. Living in Pa I repeatedly have to suffer hearing the Steelers fans lawd the excellence of the Steelers and I realize that their franchise is top notch, but I do not agree that their team is in any way, shape or form better than NE's. One area I do feel they exelled at is their ability to bring in first round talent that makes an immediate contribution. My point in this is that NE needs to take a more proactive approach to the draft and draft some real talent early instead of waiting and hoping that it works out like the Steelers have done. I hear alot on this website about trolls and wanna be GM's, my intention is not to bash the organization in any way or thinking that I know better. My prespective come entirely from what I see and feel and I know players need time to develop, but  trading back in my opinion is a detriment not an advantage.
    Posted by PATinPA[/QUOTE]
      I think that trading back for more picks, has worked well. However, I do believe this is the year we need to trade picks to move up or bring in proven talent. I think this defense is close to being dominent. IMO, We either need a pass rusher or another shutdown type corner. How we acquire them doesn't matter to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

Point taken and respected..... and I agree that however the talent gets here as long as it gets here is great. I just think that trading back sets you up with players that are too developmental and I think that NE needs immediate impact guys. Outside of this EPIC draft and Chung/Vollmer, their last couple drafts have been garbage with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 guys... and by that I mean literally entire draft classes without one player still on the team, maybe one guy. We are set up to grab diamonds with the 17, 28, and 33 I just hope Bill will do it and not settle for the Darius Butlers, Ron Braces, and the like. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Seems kinda early for that stuff being we haven't had the combine yet.  I don't know why other teams would be inquiring about picks so early.  Their guy may or may not be there come the draft.  Strange.

Strangeness aside, Bill will swap picks so the Pats would be an obvious team to call.  If Bill's target is not there and he can't move up to get that target it seems wise to move down and position yourself for next year.  The trouble is 
    Bill doesn't talk about targets missed.  It's always he got his guy although he might not have been the first choice.

At times it's who he targets like McCourty for example.  The talk was about DE or CB last year.  Bill thought the short comings were more at CB than DE so thus the pick.  Several teams picking after the Pats original position were not looking for a CB so Bill slides down.  It's about knowing where other teams are going too that allows you to drop.  

I don't know if this was a mistake or not but Jax on the other hand kept their position and drafted a guy that wasn't projected to go until the early part of the 2nd round.  The guy did quite well and didn't look like the reach afterall but why didn't Jax trade down?  Just trying to show a difference here. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

Gary point well made and I do realize there alot of factors that go into how a draft plays out. I just get that fan frustration when I see things like NE trading down twice and taking Butler and Brace and watching Baltimore and Green Bay walk away with a franchise left tackle and the best young pass rusher in the game all on our spots. I also have spent alot of time looking at past drafts and it seems like Bill's judgement had been flawless early.... before 03-04, and since it has been one pick that pans out a year ( this year not included ). I would rather see NE draft early and if they don't pan out thats poor scouting, than trade back and watch other teams gobble up these young impact players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Their last couple of drafts have been garbage? What about last year? They traded back and got a rookie of the year candidate. Absolutely, positively don't change ONE thing with their strategy. They've been terrific the last two years. Attack '07 and '08 if you want to make a more valid argument but even then they picked two probowlers (i know...I know BM was one of them) in that class.

And feel free to play GM. that's what 95% of the people on this site do. I don't know what else people should do on an internet chat board. 

In Response to Re: Offers made:
    [QUOTE]Point taken and respected..... and I agree that however the talent gets here as long as it gets here is great. I just think that trading back sets you up with players that are too developmental and I think that NE needs immediate impact guys. Outside of this EPIC draft and Chung/Vollmer, their last couple drafts have been garbage with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 guys... and by that I mean literally entire draft classes without one player still on the team, maybe one guy. We are set up to grab diamonds with the 17, 28, and 33 I just hope Bill will do it and not settle for the Darius Butlers, Ron Braces, and the like. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

I retract that 03-04, it should have been after 05 and 03 sucked other than Wilfork. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

every year people say that this is the year we should move up. Sometimes it's a good idea sometimes it isn't. Considering the great depth in the positions that we need (ie OL, OLB, DE) this might actually be one of the better years to move back and grab extra picks

As for other teams checking on our picks well they are just doing their homework. Teams wouldn't be doing their job if they don't try to get an idea of a price range for everyone's picks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

MAYBE AND only MAYBE....Our Pats use pick 17 and 28(DE/OLB). Our 1st pick in the 2nd round...maybe and just maybe ARIZONA gives us that WR we all know and want? I think BB would take him if it was offered but we do have T Price. He is going to be a good wr in this league but wouldn't it be awesome to see TB throwing bombs to FITZGERALD(on Revis)?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

In Response to Offers made:
    [QUOTE] In Bill Belichecks most recent press conference he commented that he has already recieved calls regarding his first 3 draft picks. I personally feel that (and my opinion means nothing)if they are not used or packaged to move up then they are wasted. Living in Pa I repeatedly have to suffer hearing the Steelers fans lawd the excellence of the Steelers and I realize that their franchise is top notch, but I do not agree that their team is in any way, shape or form better than NE's. One area I do feel they exelled at is their ability to bring in first round talent that makes an immediate contribution. My point in this is that NE needs to take a more proactive approach to the draft and draft some real talent early instead of waiting and hoping that it works out like the Steelers have done. I hear alot on this website about trolls and wanna be GM's, my intention is not to bash the organization in any way or thinking that I know better. My prespective come entirely from what I see and feel and I know players need time to develop, but  trading back in my opinion is a detriment not an advantage.

patinpa,
    you are not the only one who feels this way.

thanks

cbdam/brdbreu

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

The 2010 draft in my opinion could go down as one of the greatest drafts in history as it stands now and I love Chung and Vollmer, but to me there have been far more misses than hits. Take the 08 draft Mayo is phenomenal but wilhite and slater are junk, 07 Merriweather is the only one left on the roster and people are calling for his head daily (although I did love the move for Moss and Welker is great), 06 Gostkowski the only player left on the roster. I know I sound pessemistic and a bit like a self loathing Pats fan but I just pray this draft doesn't go like 06 or 08(with exception of Mayo) where they walk away with less than serviceable talent because they dont pull the trigger or move and let someone else reap the rewards.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I hear what you are saying. The 07 and 08 drafts were not good. But every team misses more than they hit. Otherwise there'd be a million nfl players and 1000 pro bowlers. That rate and degree that the Pats hit is still at or near the best in the league. 

[QUOTE]The 2010 draft in my opinion could go down as one of the greatest drafts in history as it stands now and I love Chung and Vollmer, but to me there have been far more misses than hits. Take the 08 draft Mayo is phenomenal but wilhite and slater are junk, 07 Merriweather is the only one left on the roster and people are calling for his head daily (although I did love the move for Moss and Welker is great), 06 Gostkowski the only player left on the roster. I know I sound pessemistic and a bit like a self loathing Pats fan but I just pray this draft doesn't go like 06 or 08(with exception of Mayo) where they walk away with less than serviceable talent because they dont pull the trigger or move and let someone else reap the rewards.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

It was a calculated statement by Bill Belichick. Create action, even when action doesn't exist.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

Could very well have been, I don't doubt Bill's ability it's just frustrating looking back on prior drafts. I hate that "we could of had him" mentality but when I look at NE's holes now in comparison to what was passed up and the picks actually taken. The math just doesn't add up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Unless Julio Jones falls to #17, that pick gets traded.

I don't see the talent drop-off between 17 and 30.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

Jones is a great prospect but I am more of the mind of doing something like this.... Take Mike Pouncey #17, with #28 I like taking either JJ Watt or Ryan Kerrigan. #33 Carimi or Costanzo. if he trades away the second 2nd rounder so be it and with the first pick in the 3rd Brooks Reed from Arizona. With these picks I feel our fronts immediatley are upgraded with impact players. The rest of the draft take a shot on some maybees. I realize these picks are subject to ridicule, but come on you can't tell me we would be set up for several runs in the near future if these guys were available.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

wouldn't be set up......sorry.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

[QUOTE]The 33rd pick is going to be key to this draft.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

we will have our de/olb and ol with the first 2 picks and pick 33 IS MOS DEF GOING TO BE THE KEY!! The Pats will have SOOOOOOO many trade opportunities with future draft picks or proven players(FITZ...IM CALLING IT NOW).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

[QUOTE]Jones is a great prospect but I am more of the mind of doing something like this.... Take Mike Pouncey #17, with #28 I like taking either JJ Watt or Ryan Kerrigan. #33 Carimi or Costanzo. if he trades away the second 2nd rounder so be it and with the first pick in the 3rd Brooks Reed from Arizona. With these picks I feel our fronts immediatley are upgraded with impact players. The rest of the draft take a shot on some maybees. I realize these picks are subject to ridicule, but come on you can't tell me we would be set up for several runs in the near future if these guys were available.

I am not sure Pouncey would go that high. If the Pats target Pouncey w their first pick it would be a shame. 

I would rather see them use the 17th on DE or OLB and then move up from 28 to 20-22 to pick Pouncey or wait until 28 for Wesniewski.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]Gary point well made and I do realize there alot of factors that go into how a draft plays out. I just get that fan frustration when I see things like NE trading down twice and taking Butler and Brace and watching Baltimore and Green Bay walk away with a franchise left tackle and the best young pass rusher in the game all on our spots. I also have spent alot of time looking at past drafts and it seems like Bill's judgement had been flawless early.... before 03-04, and since it has been one pick that pans out a year ( this year not included ). I would rather see NE draft early and if they don't pan out thats poor scouting, than trade back and watch other teams gobble up these young impact players.

Passing over Oher puzzled me at the time but now there are questions on whether he can cut it at LT.  I don't know if he was having a bad year or what but Oher looked really bad at times.  So I kinda see the light there.

It was a pretty big gamble by GB to select Matthews.  At the beginning of his senior year he was still sitting the bench.  He only got his first start a couple of games into the season.  Pretty much an unknown and nobody knew how much it had to do with the other three talented LBs that USC had starting at the time.  It was a big gamble that paid off big for GB the way I see it.  And perhaps Bill would have tried something like that if the Pats didn't have so many needs that he needed to hit on.

Chung was the first pick that year so I have to believe that that was Bill's target.  Butler fell out of the 1st round which worried me when we picked him.  Brace is coming around.  Not so much negative talk like last year.  Some players take a little longer and it looked like Brace was fitting in before a bunch of injuries took him out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I heard the same comment and I wondered right away if he's really fielding offers right now or trying to make people think he is.  He could simply be playing mind games.

I thought about packaging 17 and 28 to move up and grab Marcell Dareus.  How sick would that be?  But then I thought that we could just sit tight and grab J.J. Watt and Phil Taylor instead for example. 

It's a tough call but I think we should make the trade. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

[QUOTE]I heard the same comment and I wondered right away if he's really fielding offers right now or trying to make people think he is.  He could simply be playing mind games. I thought about packaging 17 and 28 to move up and grab Marcell Dareus.  How sick would that be?  But then I thought that we could just sit tight and grab J.J. Watt and Phil Taylor instead for example.  It's a tough call but I think we should make the trade. 
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]

No way make that trade...JJ Watt and Phil Taylor..........or Dareus. Take the two players. BB may take 2 dif players but I would never trade 17 and 28 to move up!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]I hear what you are saying. The 07 and 08 drafts were not good. But every team misses more than they hit. Otherwise there'd be a million nfl players and 1000 pro bowlers. That rate and degree that the Pats hit is still at or near the best in the league.  In Response to Re: Offers made :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

You cant leave out that in 07 they also used draft picks to trade for Randy Moss and Wes Welker. I think when you include those trades, 07 was a very productive offseason. Check out this article, which explains that the trades they made in 07 also netted Mayo, Ron Brace and Matthew Slater. So to think that all they got out of the 07 draft was Merriweather is not looking at the complete picture. Merriweather, Moss, Welker, Mayo, Brace and Slater is an A+.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/revisiting-the-2007-nfl-draft.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Sure, but they didn't pick good players with the picks they had. The Oscar Lua's of the world didn't even make a difference on special teams, which was a disappointment. No matter what trades they made, they didn't make the most out of the picks they had that year. 

I know trades should be factored in some way, but the draft is about selecting players that can help your team and the pats didn't do that. Perhaps is they hit on a middle LB or a corner they would've won the SB in '07 going away? 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Offers made : You cant leave out that in 07 they also used draft picks to trade for Randy Moss and Wes Welker. I think when you include those trades, 07 was a very productive offseason. Check out this article, which explains that the trades they made in 07 also netted Mayo, Ron Brace and Matthew Slater. So to think that all they got out of the 07 draft was Merriweather is not looking at the complete picture. Merriweather, Moss, Welker, Mayo, Brace and Slater is an A+. http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/revisiting-the-2007-nfl-draft.html  
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts