Official Training Camp Thread

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Official Training Camp Thread

Here's some stuff on pass rush drills:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4745744/inside-1-on-1-pass-rush-drills

Cannon, Wendell, C. Jones, and Wilfork marked as the "standouts."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Here's some stuff on pass rush drills:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4745744/inside-1-on-1-pass-rush-drills

Cannon, Wendell, C. Jones, and Wilfork marked as the "standouts."

I just posted this and they deleted this and the Yates full summary. 

Oh, my mistake. It's weird that it got deleted.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Well, Ras-I finally made the Day 3 report and the news is not good.   Schooled by the rookie (Dobson) and out of position most of the day.  Glass half full - he's healthy.   Glass half empty - he's on the bubble.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to digger0862's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Agreed they have totally pussified training camp. training camp is to find out who can take it and who can make it. No wonder there's so many severe injurys during the regular season now, seems the level of preparedness has gone down. 

I'm trying to picture my high school coach being told that two-a-days and full contact practices were no longer allowed. Yikes!

Mine would have swallowed his tongue.  If we didn't hit as hard in practice as we were expected to hit in games we did laps.  'China' Murphy and Mike Donato - the definition of old school.

We had a steep barren hill with a well worn path of dirt, rocks and dust in back of the east end zone of the practice field. Nothing quite like the hill in August in full pads. Seriously, these guys have it easy. And it's not even hot!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Well, Ras-I finally made the Day 3 report and the news is not good.   Schooled by the rookie (Dobson) and out of position most of the day.  Glass half full - he's healthy.   Glass half empty - he's on the bubble.

The dude was Picked 33.  That's as close to a 1st round bust as a 2nd rounder can get.  Unfortunately BB has a history of holding onto his busts for at least 4 years in an effort to save face.....ex: Maroney, Maryweather and Mayo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

In response to PAtsEng's comment about the WR next to Amendola...from what I've read, Dobson and Aiken have been the most impressive next to Amendola on the first two days.

Personally, I'd love it if Dobson clicks with Brady and is the starter opposite Amendola come week 1...I'm not saying it will happen, but if he can keep it up, he might put himself in a position to.

I'm crossing my fingers it's Dobson but that Aikens is in serious conversation is troublesome to me. Jenkins has been making some nice grabs too and is a vet so that has to be taken into account. I can see Dobson as a 2nd round pick getting early nod to see what the kid has but when a PS player and a #4 WR are in serious talks for #2 position on a pass heavy team that's a bit scary

Umm, we're not "pass heavy" anymore with a 36 year old QB a HOF TE and a loaded RB group.

I have no idea who gave you dummy pills, but I would suggest taking something else.

It's exciting that our QB who has sucked in recent postseasons is now forced to not be tempted to pass 40+ times per game. BB is a genius.

Look at you trying to start stuff. The fact that you can't see that you're the one causing most of the drama is a joke.

What?  I didn't start anything.  We're not a "pass heavy" team anymore.  It's over.   Wake up.

Also, PatsENg lied like a troll and said I had said that T. Wilson was a "star in the making" last year. I never used those words for ANY rookie, ever, especially with a 2nd rd pick in my life.

Why don't you go after PatsEng for lying?

Hmm?

It's not like he was doing it in a way to get back at you. He probably just got it wrong. Anyways the way you talk about Brady, you make it seem like it is a pass heavy team. Cut him some slack, he's a good poster. You're just extra uptight today. Loosen up man. Have a beer.

I am drinking many beers. He's lying. I don;t watch a lot of college football. If I do watch some games and see players who many be Pats material, I take note.

I don't watch Illinois football. I don't watch a lot of colleges.  I watch some SEC, minimal Big 10 and minimal ACC. That;s it. So, there is no way I player I don't know out of college, as "a star in the making".

I am shocked PatsEng has gone this troll route. I really am.

BB took Wilson in Rd 2. The only thing I EVER may have said, would have been to let the kid play. I said the same thing with Harmon this year.

There is no way on god's green earth I would ever claim a rookie at any time a "star in the making". I am the one who is in here saying how the NFL is in no way the NCAA level over and over, so why would I say that about a 2nd rd pick?

Did I take on Texas Troll and his Mel Kiper induced silliness where Texas Troll claimed Wilson would be terrible? Absolutely!

We have the greatest coach of all time and somehow Texas Troll or PatsEng are better scouts than BB?

OH DEAR LORD SHUT THE FAHK UP.  JUST STOP.  SHUT UP.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

^^^^^ I know you are but what am I Tongue Out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

That may be someone's opinion.  Here's a quote from a Herald reporter.  

Ras-I Dowling ate Aaron Dobson’s lunch in the most impressive victory among the reps. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

^^^^ Umm, what are you talking about?

From the Globe:

Three Down

CB Ras-I Dowling: Never made a play on the ball in any of the 1-on-1 drills, and overall had a pretty brutal day in coverage working mostly with the second team.

More like exposing the Personnel evaluating geniuses

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to jonbam's comment:

That may be someone's opinion.  Here's a quote from a Herald reporter.  

Ras-I Dowling ate Aaron Dobson’s lunch in the most impressive victory among the reps. 

Good work exposing some of our trolls.

So, Jeff Howe (Herald cub reporter) is on your approved list of media sources?  I know you have Mike Reiss at #1 right now, at least until he criticizes BB.

Let me know how Reiss thought Ras-I looked today.   Here's a clue.  If the Ryan Mallet/Dobson combination can expose Ras-I there are 25+ other teams that will keep him off the field.  But, we'll know for sure if he can play in another 12 days (1st preseason game) if he is still healthy by then.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Don't get too high or low on players based on what you hear from training camp, guys get beat in camp, the same guys will win the next time, camp's for learning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Yes I was very dissappointed to read that both Ras-I and Logan Ryan have not looked very good. Still nothing on Duron Harmon?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Yes I was very dissappointed to read that both Ras-I and Logan Ryan have not looked very good. Still nothing on Duron Harmon?

He didn't drop BB's coke when he fetched it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

^^ lol

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

So, Jeff Howe (Herald cub reporter) is on your approved list of media sources?  I know you have Mike Reiss at #1 right now, at least until he criticizes BB.

Let me know how Reiss thought Ras-I looked today.   Here's a clue.  If the Ryan Mallet/Dobson combination can expose Ras-I there are 25+ other teams that will keep him off the field.  But, we'll know for sure if he can play in another 12 days (1st preseason game) if he is still healthy by then.

LOL!

Like I said above:  He did great work exposing a troll.  You're new here and like many of the others. You hate BB and will make excuses for Brady as much as you need to until he retires.

Nice.   I take it you couldn't find any flattering piece from Reiss on Ras-I's stellar camp performance.  You certainly have shown in the past that you will scour the net for any tidbit that supports your position.

And the subject was Ras-I, not Brady.   Yet you claim others have reading comprehension problems?!?  Be sure to ask your "uncle" how Ras-I looks!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Per Field Yates today, I am glad to see Ras-I is finally looking ok. Also Duron Harmon had his first pick today. Decent news for the back 7.

"7. Dowling's length pays off. Here's what is unique about cornerback Ras-I Dowling: He's such a long defensive back that even when he doesn't necessarily extend his arms or blanket an opposing receiver, he can still maintain tight coverage. Dowling's length influences the window a quarterback has to throw into, and even when he stays within a half-stride of a wideout, it's difficult for receivers to out-leverage him at the point of catch. He had, in our estimation, his best practice session of camp."

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Per Field Yates today, I am glad to see Ras-I is finally looking ok. Also Duron Harmon had his first pick today. Decent news for the back 7.

"7. Dowling's length pays off. Here's what is unique about cornerback Ras-I Dowling: He's such a long defensive back that even when he doesn't necessarily extend his arms or blanket an opposing receiver, he can still maintain tight coverage. Dowling's length influences the window a quarterback has to throw into, and even when he stays within a half-stride of a wideout, it's difficult for receivers to out-leverage him at the point of catch. He had, in our estimation, his best practice session of camp."

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

As a whole the secondary looked very good monday night. Talib stands out, he is physical and relentless in coverage. Dennard was also physical not as polished as Talib. Ras-I has very good coverage skills not as physical as Talib and Dennard but there is no doubt he can cover.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Look, Ras, similar to Ballard, has a lot of rust to knock off. He is coming off of major surgery. No one is looking for him to step on the field and perform at a pro bowl level. These first 2 weeks are about familiarizing himself with being back on the field and the speed of the game, getting his body used to hitting, and getting used to new team mates. Ras need only to make incremental improvement day by day.

He looks like he is in great shape, and was an offseason award winner. He is a very good CB. Maybe the best on the team. Lets allow camp to play out and then see what is what. Lets face it, the team needs this guy healthy and playing. Denneard may not be here for a few games. Talib has also been injury prone and missed games. Arrington has struggled on the outside.

Plus, this is BB's Patriots. He is also looking towards next YEAR. He might pay McCourty. He wont pay Talib. Pats need Ras healthy and playing well to not be "needy" at CB. Next year the Hern situation puts the Pats tighter to the cap than they have been the past 2-3 years. It will be huge if Ras and Dennard and Arrington all play well and stay healthy.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I understand we're starved for football news of any kind but this microscopic analysis of every play in preseason is silly.

When the offense makes a play it's the defense's failure. When the defense plays well it's the offense's failure. There's no winning but there's a lot of whining.

The playoffs are pretty much a given right? It's too early to give any real player or team analysis in July. If the Patriots are playing well in December then I'll be happy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

I understand we're starved for football news of any kind but this microscopic analysis of every play in preseason is silly.

When the offense makes a play it's the defense's failure. When the defense plays well it's the offense's failure. There's no winning but there's a lot of whining.

The playoffs are pretty much a given right? It's too early to give any real player or team analysis in July. If the Patriots are playing well in December then I'll be happy.

Welcome to the Pats forums Digger, where have you been  :p

We go through this every preseason, as I think you've said this same statement every preseason too. We are all just bored waiting for anything about the Pats. I mean the draft, OTAs, and FA only lasts so long so when we finally get even the slightest bit of practice news of course we are going to over analyse it. It's in our nature.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Welcome to the Pats forums Digger, where have you been  :p

We go through this every preseason, as I think you've said this same statement every preseason too. We are all just bored waiting for anything about the Pats. I mean the draft, OTAs, and FA only lasts so long so when we finally get even the slightest bit of practice news of course we are going to over analyse it. It's in our nature.

Yes I do say this every preseason PatsEng. :p

I just had to get it off my chest. I feel better now. Carry on!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Patriots links - http://new-england-patriots.alltop.com/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Figured we could use an official training camp thread to discuss the daily ongoings and insights of training camp. It beats having multiple threads for each day. So far it is day two and things are looking pretty good. 

Heard Dobson looked good. Did anyone make it today?

Lots of Hoopla Yesterday. The Circus was in town as BB likes to say. Watched the cerimony and got to see most of practice before I left to beat traffic. I was surprised to see them in pads again after being in pads sunday, but it was good to see. Not any major hitting, but they were bucking up. Talib looked solid throughout. Tracking down balls over his head. Had 2 nice INTS. Boyce looks like a #81 replacement candidate. Looks to be able to play in the slot. Dobson is smooth but not as big as I thought. Reminds me of Reche Caldwell, but I think he has a higher ceiling obviously. I was impressed with K.Thompkins. He looks the part. Quicks and route running but had a drop from Brady(high heat from 5 yards away tho') Amendola looks FAST! Thats the main difference between he and wes that I see. He wont be getting caught from behind like Wes always was and can play outside like I thought.

Zudfeld looks big but didnt do much. Lined out in the slot a few times. Leon Washington still has the speed!  He is gonna break MANY this year if healthy. Should also contribute in the offense. Wearing # 33, he looks like a younger Faulk. Vareen is gonna play some WR this year. Nothing stood out from Ridley, Blount. Just did their jobs. Tebow was getting some interesting looks from the D. BB holding back no punches,. called a double LB blitz from both sides, causing Tebow to leave the pocket. He had some good throws. Mallets Arm looks to be strongest in camp and accuracy is a little better than last year.

A.Wilson looks BIG! Loving his Presence. He was up at the line all Practice. The REACH brothers Tavon and Duron were basically non factors, spectators that got in late but as of now they look out the loop. The rotation was A.Wilson, McCourty and Gregory, but Gregory may be getting his last looks before they decide to move forward with Tavon. I'll wait  and see on that one. Jamie Collins look like he could be a Safety. He is def. gonna be able to cover guys. He is a lean, compact guy that should help right away. Dobson runs some nice routes and displayed some hands. The Starters were him and K.Tompkins. Fells had a nice TD catch down the seams , middle of field. Arrington was in the slot, mostly, wearing # 25. Logan was out the loop. Didnt play much with starters. Couldnt gauge him really. T.Kelly didnt stand out much. Brady still had his midseason ZIP on the ball and was accurate as ever. Didnt look impatient with his guys like some have suggested. Bruschi fired up the guys with a pre practice speach. BB was keeping it light. Big Turn out! Im Encouraged by what I saw. More getting upfield from Lineman and less 2 gapping. Good things to come I believe. Defense SHOULD be much improved. Spikes is losing reps to Collins this year. Lots of Dime packages with 3 safety look. Thats all I got for now.

Sections
Shortcuts