Officials Get Fined

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcordWiggin. Show ConcordWiggin's posts

Re: Officials Get Fined

And while I am busy spreading blame, will someone tell me how our back field was able to shut down Manning on into the early second half, and then we turned into swiss cheese?
    I'm not saying it's easy, but did our guys lose focus?  fatigue?  cockiness? 
    It was painful to watch Manning act like an ADHD kid at the mall with a no-limit Mastercard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Hey, you'd soften up too if you knew that even getting near one of their receivers could net you a 30+ yard PI penalty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

wigg -

Exactly how do you see that spot from the camera angle provided unless you were the official on the play?

What about the non-calls on the pats defenders manhandling colts receivers 5 yds beyond the line of scrimmage? 

and finally, how did things change so much from 1st to 2nd half?  In the first, Pierre Garcon dropped like 3 balls and Austin Collie maybe another.  some of those were drive stopping drops.  Had they been catches, it would have been a different half.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

~
    I pretty much agree and Have thought for some time That with ALL the assets The NFL has under its disposal and with The effects of Official Play calling, New and amended rules becoming an ever-increasing factor in How a Game is played and plays out, There is NOTHING that should keep The League from doing some sort of "Game Review" regarding the Plays and Penalties that are called in game-play and reward, chastise, or at the very least Keep NFL Referees within a reviewal of their job and the production of their acts and actions...

~Even though most if not ALL other Jobs have simple checks and balances on an Individuals or Group's efforts, From a pragmatic standpoint The NFL does NOT want such scrutiny allowing for the silent fan masses to potentially be up in arms about the validity of game outcomes.  And even though, I want and would NEVER agree with changing game outcomes after the fact of the final whistle, When certain things like How Belichick himself has partitioned for, like more reviewable cameras, and especially downfield Goal-line cameras, GET nixed and denied by People on The Competition Committee (Rules Committee-whoevers on that thing-Boy, I trully hope NOONE with biases/alterior motives like an Owner or an Active Coach), SOMETHING in the end when all's said and done seems at least somewhat suspect to say the least...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TOGAH-2009. Show TOGAH-2009's posts

Are you guys still crying?  Really?  That's one play dude.  Take some blame.  I saw Addai break long runs in the 4th qtr.  Maybe fix that.  And don't throw picks and fumble in the endzone.  That might help.  Oh, and always punt of 4th down when you're in the lead.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Maybe they could appoint an independent official upstairs whose only purpose would be to police the officials and overturn bad calls without penalty to the teams.  He would always have the benefit of replay and proof, and Polian wouldn't be able to buy him off.  Just saying.....If I screwed up that much at my job, I would be one of the unemployed, especially if it could be viewed as intentional.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaxFBLover. Show JaxFBLover's posts

It happens weekly in the SEC!  The refs get reprimanded, sit out a week in suspension, etc.  The coaches also get fined if they complain.  The officiating was horrible and I am not a PATs fan nor do I live in New England.  There are too many bad calls that decide games.  It is getting to be as arbitrary as calls in the NBA.  Time to watch European soccer!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I had stated on another thread a couple days back that next year when the league votes on there new rules,someone needs to put in fineing officials for very bad calls,or not throwing a flag when it should be thrown, that can change an outcome of a game.if they get fined enough we will see more even games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

In Response to Officials Get Fined:
    [QUOTE]  Had Welker not called his own timeout shortly before, we would have been able to challenge the spot at the 30.  [/QUOTE]

Welker called the timeout because the Pats weren't in the right formation. When asked about this play specifically Belicheck said it was a very heads up play by Welker and that he would have called the timeout himself had Welker not done so. This was discussed on WEEI today.

Also, I believe the refs called it according to the rule. It's similar in nature to forward progress. With forward progress obviously the ball is spotted at the furthest spot of the player's forward progress before being tackled.
    The ball was spotted were Faulk maintained possession. He was falling backwards when he maintained possession so that is where the ball was spotted. Some one please chime in if this wrong, but I believe this is the rule.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCurtainStainer. Show TheCurtainStainer's posts

In Response to Officials Get Fined:
    [QUOTE]Wouldn't that make an appropriate headline this week? How many times did we all see the replay of Faulk's 4th down catch?  It was right over the 30 yardline!  We know the original spot was exactly the 20, because it was from a touch back.  Absolutely, the refs made a bad call that change the outcome of the game.  Period. Lest any of you think I am a sore loser, YES, I am.  I don't like seeing (yet another Pats/Colts game in Indie) refs take away very hard work from players, and yes, from our coach too. Is there more blame to go around?  Sure.  Had Welker not called his own timeout shortly before, we would have been able to challenge the spot at the 30.  Had we not fumbled at the frickin 1-foot like, the game would have been different.  I even have a hard time with Slater running the ball out of the endzone, turning a 2-play 13 seconds into a 1-play 9 seconds.  Actually, our mistakes in this game were notably few. The other glaring gaff by the officials came with 3:03 left, when the Colts receiver bumped back into our cover, "drawing" a 31-yard gain interference flag.  Maybe I don't know the rule well enough, but isn't a defender entitled to his own virtical space? Since the Commish is quite a liberal when it comes to handing out fines, why not spank the refs in their bank accounts for at least the WRONG call at the 2-minute slot, when it would have sealed the game for us? Your comments?
    Posted by ConcordWiggin[/QUOTE]

If your Aunt had a moustache, she'd be your uncle.  Get over yourself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ironman11. Show ironman11's posts

Typical whenever the Pats lose. It's ALWAYS the refs. Jesus, man up will ya? You lost. Take it like men and move on. The season is far from over. It's just a loss. Stop the F-in whining already. I've read these posts for years now and every time the Pats lose it's NEVER their fault according to some of you. Ever wonder why the rest of the country calls you poor sports? Probably not, because 99% of you never lived anywhere but Revere, Lynn and Weymouth. You guys are Homers to the max. You lost a game. Deal with it. Maybe they should start fining teams that fake defensive injuries during a hurry up offense. Sound familiar to you guys???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

How come no one wants to respond to my question of - How come the refs didn't call PI on pats db's every time they were bumping colts receivers beyond 5 yards?  It happened all night.  I think the Krafts had the refs in his pocket?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Periera (spelling?) said the line judge made the right call.  there you go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Officials Get Fined:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Officials Get Fined : Welker called the timeout because the Pats weren't in the right formation. When asked about this play specifically Belicheck said it was a very heads up play by Welker and that he would have called the timeout himself had Welker not done so. This was discussed on WEEI today. Also, I believe the refs called it according to the rule. It's similar in nature to forward progress. With forward progress obviously the ball is spotted at the furthest spot of the player's forward progress before being tackled. The ball was spotted were Faulk maintained possession. He was falling backwards when he maintained possession so that is where the ball was spotted. Some one please chime in if this wrong, but I believe this is the rule.
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE]

You are correct but it appeared he bobbled once and maintained possession before he went backwards and was still over the 30.  they spotted it where he hit the ground but the ball was secured way before then.  He was still standing when he secured it and the hit made him fall back about 4-5 ft.  All the pats thought he had the 1st.  It was just unfortunate, or lucky... depending on which side you're on, that they did not review it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

He secured the ball at about the same time his left foot came down and that was inside the 30.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officials Get Fined : You are correct but it appeared he bobbled once and maintained possession before he went backwards and was still over the 30.  they spotted it where he hit the ground but the ball was secured way before then.  He was still standing when he secured it and the hit made him fall back about 4-5 ft.  All the pats thought he had the 1st.  It was just unfortunate, or lucky... depending on which side you're on, that they did not review it.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I don't have DVR right now switched to FIOs and I only saw the play twice. You know if it's close at the Colt's Lucas field there is no way the Pats get the call. Can you imagine if they gave the Pats the first down, the Colts would probably lobby the NFL to change another rule.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Typical whenever the Pats lose. It's ALWAYS the refs. Jesus, man up will ya? You lost. Take it like men and move on. The season is far from over. It's just a loss. Stop the F-in whining already. I've read these posts for years now and every time the Pats lose it's NEVER their fault according to some of you. Ever wonder why the rest of the country calls you poor sports? Probably not, because 99% of you never lived anywhere but Revere, Lynn and Weymouth. You guys are Homers to the max. You lost a game. Deal with it. Maybe they should start fining teams that fake defensive injuries during a hurry up offense. Sound familiar to you guys???
    Posted by ironman11[/QUOTE]

Dude , you are so wrong.  Iv'e been reading these post for years and typically most posters. ( the real fans) do man up and blast the others for making excuses.
    Unfortunately since 2006, this seems to be the way it goes when the Pats play the Colts and if your team was unfairly penalized for 4 years in a row to the same team, your hair would be standing up too!  But what you fail to recognize or admit is that more and more teams are seeing the same thing when playing the Colts.  Even Dion Sanders, who is not known as a Pats fan was raising questions about calls.  Houston felt the same way last week and it goes on and on.  So, it's not the Pats fans imagining things here.  But it's ok, because the more it happens, the sooner it will stop and maybe teams will be able to play again against other teams and not the zebras.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Officials Get Fined : Welker called the timeout because the Pats weren't in the right formation. When asked about this play specifically Belicheck said it was a very heads up play by Welker and that he would have called the timeout himself had Welker not done so. This was discussed on WEEI today. Also, I believe the refs called it according to the rule. It's similar in nature to forward progress. With forward progress obviously the ball is spotted at the furthest spot of the player's forward progress before being tackled. The ball was spotted were Faulk maintained possession. He was falling backwards when he maintained possession so that is where the ball was spotted. Some one please chime in if this wrong, but I believe this is the rule.
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE]

Forward progress can only be measured once it is a reception. At that point, he gets the furthest point of the ball once he is contacted and his forward momentum stops. (If he hits a guy at the thirty, bounces off him and then runs back to try and run around him but it tackled at the 28, his momentum is stopped the second time at the 28.)

He had the ball in possession with his foot down which makes it a reception.

His foot is on the 30, but his body is leaning across the 30 towards the 31. 

He is contacted by the defender as he is gaining possession so that is where his forward progress should have been measured.

The line of gain is the 30. He is clearly on the line of gain with the ball across it.

I think what happened is the Line Judge making the call sees Faulk not get possession immediately and makes a guess that he doesn't gain possession until after he is going down. It is clear from the other angle that he has possession when his right foot hits the 30 though. The umpire though looks like he could have seen the possession and comes walking at the 30 but then he kind of flakes off.

I just realized something. The Line Judge should have been Ron Marinucci who wears #107. The Line Judge in the video is wearing #24. The ref crew last night was Scott Green. There is no #24 on Scott Green's crew unless my source is wrong. In fact, I can't find a ref with #24 in the lists. That is kind of odd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Officials Get Fined : If your Aunt had a moustache, she'd be your uncle.  Get over yourself.
    Posted by TheCurtainStainer[/QUOTE]

You are really into trying to turn women into men. Is that part of the curtain staining process?

Oh, you should know, your aunt does have a moustache. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Concord- agree on refs- fine them. All games should be reviewed- maybe set a sliding scale for fines based on impact on game, # of infractions by ref over multiple games,timing of penalty flags.
    The two calls you reference were clearly not warranted- and did impact outcome of game.
    That said, Pats beat themselves. Yes- D did look like swiss cheese in 4th quarter- Maroney's fumble and Brady interception in end zone cost us 2 TD's.

Not crying like the Ravens- and you notice the Pats aren't whining about refs at all.
    It is absurd how many bogus calls that have gone against the Pats when they play the Colts.
    There needs to be accountability by refs for doing their job...right.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarriorAssassin. Show WarriorAssassin's posts

Do the refs deserve some type of fine for their lack of vision? Yes

I have heard and read through these forums about refs blowing calls against the Pats for years when playing the Colts. Most times I read it and dismiss the fact that Mr. polian has the refs in his back pocket. Since I have no real proof. This is easily dismissed. I do however believe that this thing does go on.

If the Pats lose, I will be 1st to admit it and congratulate the better team won. Last nights game leaves me with a really bad feeling.

The call against Butler was very questionable. The call on 4th and 2 at the 2:08 minute mark in the 4th qtr was extremely disturbing and repellent. Plainly put. The refs really blew this game with that horrendous call.  If you want a quick recap... you can watch that here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5SpTlAqltU&feature=player_embedded. Please have vomit bag in close proximity when watching.

What's more disturbing is what I heard on the radio and tv Monday morning. It seems everyone wants BB's head for a play that I personally don't think was a bad call at all. Had the Pats made the 1st down. (and they did) The media would  call Bellicheck a genius and a ticker tape parade would have rained down on them as they exited the plane.

This game will be aired on NFL network again. being is was such a great game with horrible call.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I thought they did a good job for 98% of the time.

I just want the league's explanation on Darius Butler's phantom pass interference penalty (and why it wasn't also called on the contact that was made on Moss in the end zone on the Brady interception when that was no different than what happened between Collie and Butler).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]I thought they did a good job for 98% of the time. I just want the league's explanation on Darius Butler's phantom pass interference penalty (and why it wasn't also called on the contact that was made on Moss in the end zone on the Brady interception when that was no different than what happened between Collie and Butler).
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

It only takes 2% of the time to totally F up a game.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts