Officiating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Officiating

I hate to bring this up, but it was hard to ignore the one side officiaiting last night.

The facemask call was clearly the worst.  I could not believe it.

It almost appeared they started to concoct calls to get Pitt back into it.  They called Holding early, too, and then stopped calling it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: Officiating

In Response to Officiating:
    I hate to bring this up, but it was hard to ignore the one side officiaiting last night. The facemask call was clearly the worst.  I could not believe it. It almost appeared they started to concoct calls to get Pitt back into it.  They called Holding early, too, and then stopped calling it.
    Posted by BBReigns

I was thinking the same thing with the face mask - that had to be the worst call I've seen in the Super Bowl since Antwaan Randle El pushed off of the Seattle cornerback in 2005 AND got the pass interference call IN HIS FAVOR.

It doesn't matter - I'm happy with the result

It's kinda like a basketball team that's down 13 at home getting 20 foul shots in the fourth quarter and 40 total in a game in which they scored 80 points... it is what it is

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

I was telling my wife last night....it's way the NFL works.  When one team is down the flags come to get the other team back in the game.
    Example.....2006 AFC championship game the Pats r up by 21-3 and driving for another td and then the infamous pass interference call on Troy Brown. If it wasn't for that call the Pats would've won that game going away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't think there is really a question about it.  They probably sign some oath to not admit they do that, but it's pretty obvious.

Traditionally, you don't see flags in the SB.  And then all of a sudden here come the flags.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

How about the fourth quarter punt where Pittsburg's players were trying to shove the punt returner into the ball? That resulted in a Packer un-sportsman like conduct penalty. Why were the Steelers not penalized on that play?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

I saw the same thing. Seemed like fair officiating at first, but then it heavily went the Steelers way, like they wanted to see a close game. And many of the calls were erroneous. There were other non-calls the other way as well. 

The only good call in the second half was the non-PI call on 4th down on GB. The announcers were calling for a flag but the replay showed it wasnt close. Imagine if the refs called a PI on that!! would of been Pitt / Seattle all over again...

Thank the football gods for keeping a 3rd ring off Rapistburgers finger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Agreed. I couldn't figure out why they were looking for a call. I geuss the good thing is, there weren't any lame PI calls.

Everything close was ignored, which is how it should be.

I thought Pitt was holding more blatantly than usual, especially in the second half.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Really glad some official didn't throw a flag on that 4th and 5 to seal the game. Damn announcers even bringing up references to a possible pass interference. Would have really cheapened the game IMO if they did throw one. That face mask on the punt too was total BS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donk3. Show donk3's posts

It amazes me to see where the NFL gets tired of seeing the Pats on top, but they never seem to get tired of Pittsburgh, Dallas or either Manning brother.  As for me, I have never liked the steelers.  I feel that they have been "fortunate" in the Super Bowls they have played in.  Calls seem to go their way and things seem to happen for them late.  But ever since their trailer trash fans wildly applauded the video that showed on the jumbo tron in Pittsburgh of Brady's leg getting almost torn off, I have been done with them.  I also remember Carson Palmer completing his first pass against them in the playoffs where Fat Ben won his first ring, only to be the recipient of a cheap shot by a Steelers lineman that tore his knee.  The game turned in their favor and the rest is history.  Cheap team, classless fans and dirty players.  I actually hate them more than the Raiders.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

From experience of being in each stadium for Patriots playoff games, I can attest to that statement, the Steelers fans are absolutely the worst. SD is pretty bad to, which people don't realize. The Steelers and their fans hate the patriots. No team has beat up on them this decade like the Patriots.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

That phantom face mask call was, without question, the worst I've witnessed in a SB.  Ordinarily I don't comment on the officiating but I have to agree that it certainly appeared one sided.  I guess it's a matter of when and what because if you look at the box score (which the NFL would probably point to) it's pretty close:

Pitt 6-55; GB 7-67

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

Yeah, I thought the first half was actually pretty even, GB got called for a bunch. It was that second half when the questionable calls came one after another, raising the suspicion that a close game was desired... This probably was not the case, it was probably just poor officiating at the wrong time. 

Worst call I have ever seen in a big game (non-superbowl) was by far the PI call in the 06 AFC championship that put Indi back in the game.. Indi tends to get a lot of those.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The face mask call was wrong, but I can see how it happened. The defender had his hand up and the mask and the Steeler player had his head down. From a distance, that can easily be seen as a face mask. It doesn't make the call right, just understandable.

The call on the punt was just poor judgment on the GB player. He was being pushed, but that happens. He 1. should not have been any where close to the ball to allow the pushing and 2. should not have hit the guy. That is always going to get called. I thought they could have offset the penalty with the Steeler who then shoved the GB player in the back after the hit, but they didn't.

The only call I questioned was the third and long that was challenged. I thought that was a catch as the receiver had the ball and both feet on the ground without contact with the defender. And he turned to go upfield. Usually that is a catch. 

I really didn't see much by way of officiating that was bad or one-sided. Let it go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I was surprised the call wasn't made for the Steelers player trying to interfere by pushing Shields as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I agree Killa. And if it has been as prevalent over the years as some claim, there would definitely be a retired ref who would just come out chuckling and say "The NFL is rigged."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am of the opinion that the rule states the facemask penalty also applies to any helmet opening. So it applies to the earhole and the entire rim of the opening (around the neck and face). It looked like the defender had his hand around the bottom of the helmut (not the facemask) at the jawline

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Agree again. I don't doubt there is bad officiating, but I can't see keeping a lid on all the refs involved in a "game management" situation with human nature being what it is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Ever notice how Ed "all about me" Hoculi and his crew never do the SB?? Maybe its cause they are the most flag happy group in the NFL....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Officiating:
    Ever notice how Ed "all about me" Hoculi and his crew never do the SB?? Maybe its cause they are the most flag happy group in the NFL....
    Posted by ccsjl

He was referee for SB XXXII and XXXVIII.

I just looked on Wiki. It seems pretty hard for a ref to go to multiple SBs - almost as hard as it is for teams.

And, they just started sending the crews together with SB XXXVIII. Before that, the highest rated during the season for each position did the SB so you had a crew in the SB that didn't work together before.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I am of the opinion that the rule states the facemask penalty also applies to any helmet opening. So it applies to the earhole and the entire rim of the opening (around the neck and face). It looked like the defender had his hand around the bottom of the helmut (not the facemask) at the jawline
    Posted by rkarp

And there is no place to grab other then the facemask in that area. It was clear that he had him by the shoulder pads which are not part of the helmet. Just a really bad call

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

It amazes me to see where the NFL gets tired of seeing the Pats on top, but they never seem to get tired of Pittsburgh, Dallas or either Manning brother.  As for me, I have never liked the steelers.  I feel that they have been "fortunate" in the Super Bowls they have played in.  Calls seem to go their way and things seem to happen for them late.  But ever since their trailer trash fans wildly applauded the video that showed on the jumbo tron in Pittsburgh of Brady's leg getting almost torn off, I have been done with them.  I also remember Carson Palmer completing his first pass against them in the playoffs where Fat Ben won his first ring, only to be the recipient of a cheap shot by a Steelers lineman that tore his knee.  The game turned in their favor and the rest is history.  Cheap team, classless fans and dirty players.  I actually hate them more than the Raiders.
    Posted by donk3

Don't sugar coat it donk, how to you really feel about them?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

How about the fourth quarter punt where Pittsburg's players were trying to shove the punt returner into the ball? That resulted in a Packer un-sportsman like conduct penalty. Why were the Steelers not penalized on that play?
    Posted by antibody

I thought the Steelers were supposed to be penalized in that play for pushing the returner into the ball as well but the announcer, I can't remember which one it was, said that the Steeler's player was not at fault and that play is completely legal. Regardless, it was very stupid for Williams to even be near the ball if he wasn't going to field the punt and even more stupid to result to hitting an opposing player in the super bowl. That's just plain stupid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

Classless fans? Pretty pathetic to lump all Steeler fans into one category. If you don't think every city has their share of obnoxious fans, including New England, your living in a cave. As far as the Officiating goes, Harrison & Woodley get held on just about every other play, yet it's never called. Saying the Steelers only win because of the officials, is just as ignorant as all the idiots who think the Patriots were only successful because they cheated. Green Bay won the game and most of the fans here in Pittsburgh Congratulate them on their win. No calling for any coaches to be fired, no backlash against Mendenhall for his untimely fumble.  The Steelers were picked by most to finish 3rd in the AFC North, so I know I'm one Steeler fan who appreciates what they did this year. In Response to Re: Officiating:
    Posted by donk3

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Honestly, this whole thread seems a bit paranoid to me.  I don't think the NFL and its officials are trying to fix games, nor do I think they favor certain teams.  Yeah, the league wants exciting games and it wants teams in the Super Bowl that will attract viewers, but I think the league understands that maintaining the credibility of the sport is essential for the sport to remain as popular as it is. 

I also don't think there's any conspiracy--in either the league or the media--against any team. Sure reporters try to create controversy and they tend to jump on and off bandwagons as moods swing--but I don't think there's any concerted effort at ESPN or anywhere else to sway the news for or against any team. 

Please, let's keep football a game where people wear helmets . . . not tin foil hats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Classless fans? Pretty pathetic to lump all Steeler fans into one category. If you don't think every city has their share of obnoxious fans, including New England, your living in a cave. As far as the Officiating goes, Harrison & Woodley get held on just about every other play, yet it's never called. Saying the Steelers only win because of the officials, is just as ignorant as all the idiots who think the Patriots were only successful because they cheated. Green Bay won the game and most of the fans here in Pittsburgh Congratulate them on their win. No calling for any coaches to be fired, no backlash against Mendenhall for his untimely fumble.  The Steelers were picked by most to finish 3rd in the AFC North, so I know I'm one Steeler fan who appreciates what they did this year. In Response to Re: Officiating :
    Posted by Steelcurtain75

What was your opinion of the facemask call?

Do you feel sometimes officials start changing how they call games when the score is lopsided?

Sections
Shortcuts