Officiating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Officiating

In Response to Re: Officiating:
    [QUOTE]Really glad some official didn't throw a flag on that 4th and 5 to seal the game. Damn announcers even bringing up references to a possible pass interference. Would have really cheapened the game IMO if they did throw one. That face mask on the punt too was total BS.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

Aikman really looked like an idiot on this particular play, and I can't help but wonder if it was just the TV bobblehead in him wishing the game would go down to the wire. Before the replay came up, Aikman seemed pretty confident that there had been illegal contact, although the subsequent replay showed no such thing, and that talk was quickly squashed. I found it interesting in light of the blown face-mask call, which the broadcasters mentioned not at all. In fact I commented to my friends during the commercial break that they probably wouldn't say anything about the obviously erroneous flag . . .   and they didn't.

I have no doubt that network jabberers are instructed not to criticize officials, and bringing Mike Pereira into the booth to spin every scenario in the officials' favor seems to support this theory. I think at the end Aikman just wanted to see a little more game, and what he wanted to see overrode what he actually saw.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allancrain. Show allancrain's posts

I have the NFL package and Troy Aikman referees every game.  Buck and him are the worst at momentum change enthusiasm (maybe Dierdorf is worse).

Referees seem to be caught up in the momentum of the game especially when the home team has the momentum.  Human nature is what it is. 
    Great example would be the 4th quarter in Staple Center for the Lakers and of course the beloved Colts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]I have the NFL package and Troy Aikman referees every game.  Buck and him are the worst at momentum change enthusiasm (maybe Dierdorf is worse). Referees seem to be caught up in the momentum of the game especially when the home team has the momentum.  Human nature is what it is.  Great example would be the 4th quarter in Staple Center for the Lakers and of course the beloved Colts.
    Posted by allancrain[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty good point, and I think it's worth remembering when we get into these discussion about "biased" officiating. I don't believe that the league has hatched an actual conspiracy to support particular teams in favor of others . . .   or even to "keep games close," but I certainly do believe that officials are human and that they do, in fact, get caught up in the excitement of the moment and are influenced by game trends, crowd noise, the drama of the big play.

When I was a kid, I remember my brother had a pet peeve about officials who made of big production out of the "wind the clock" gesture. He maintained that, at the end of games when teams were trying to run two-minute drills and it was important to get out of bounds, that certain officials loved to inject themselves into those moments and would often choose -- on very close plays -- to call players down in bounds so that they could then make the dramatic "wind the clock" gesture, thus grabbing a little moment in the sun for themselves.

It seems ludicrous in this age of replay and high-definition, but you still see that happen sometimes, even today. I think allan is essentially right. Officials don't necessarily show any particular preconceived bias . . .   they're just bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm inclined to agree with the assertion that officials do get caught up in the game and that this can effect their calls.  Although it does appear that bias creeps its way in at times I'd be astonished if what we are seeing (as has been said) isn't anything more than simply poor officiating and/or mistaken calls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Officiating:
    [QUOTE]I hate to bring this up, but it was hard to ignore the one side officiaiting last night. The facemask call was clearly the worst.  I could not believe it. It almost appeared they started to concoct calls to get Pitt back into it.  They called Holding early, too, and then stopped calling it.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I agree that the Officiating seemed a little Lop sided and the only thing I will say about the face masking is that I think it should have been called a Horse Collar tackle. My thinking on that was the officials saw the jerking motion pulling the guy down and assumed that he had a hold of the face mask when he actually had the guy by the collar. That call was a wash for me but the rest of the game looked like a little payback for what the Officials handed Pitt back when they beat Seattle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

The facemask call was a bad call! I didn't even think it looked like a facemask in live action, when the play was ran. I also agree that officials get caught up in the  game as well. I think it's more prevelant in College Hoops then any place else.  But it happens in the NFL as well. Many times a flag will come in late after a player quickly lobbies the call.  The final offensive play by the Steelers was also the right call when no interference was called. It was a nice play by the defender and also another off-target throw by Ben. Instead of crying to the officials, Ben should have made a better pass!In Response to Re: Officiating:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officiating : What was your opinion of the facemask call? Do you feel sometimes officials start changing how they call games when the score is lopsided?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I just felt the facemask call helped Pitt get that first TD and it swung the momentum.

Smelled a little. 

There was also a flag that came out on a PI call (I think) well after the play was gone that favored Pitt. 

Overall, it wasn't poorly officiated, I was just questioning the timing of the calls when one team is down and then all of a sudden, the refs get aggressive dropping flags for the team that is down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]I agree Killa. And if it has been as prevalent over the years as some claim, there would definitely be a retired ref who would just come out chuckling and say "The NFL is rigged."
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE] Do you really think that it's not rigged??
     Better question why have each team play 16 regular season games at all? Regular season games mean little if at all. A new approach worth considering.
    First week all 32 teams play instant death winner progresses.
    Second week 8 remaining teams play winner progresses.
    Third week 4 remaining teams play winner progresses.
    Fourth week the two winners play in the SB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't think it's always rigged, but I definitely feel that when money is involved in such an enterprise as a billion dollar industry like the NFL, the ratings aspect, and hence the people who pay those bills (ad agencies), a a guaranteed closer game is quite possibly something that is worked into the negotiation.

I am not saying it's meant to be obvious, but whenever a team is being blown out in a title type game, we always seem to see a series of flags favoring one team.

And those flags always are surrounded by plays that don't show it being a penalty.

And there is the Vegas/mob issue, which is another factor in this kind of thing.

The two sports that are the easiest to manipulate are basketball and the NFL.

Baseball is 3rd.

Hockey is hard to pull off because a PP isn't always a guaranteed goal.

They play 16 games for the same reason they want to expand to 18 games or have teams in Europe.  MONEY

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Ever notice how Ed "all about me" Hoculi and his crew never do the SB?? Maybe its cause they are the most flag happy group in the NFL....
    Posted by ccsjl[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!

Want some more cheese with that weine? Ever hear of "research"?

Hoculi worked two proor SB's: 1998 (Packers/Brokebacks) and 2004 (Pats/Panthers).

May I suggest you stick to Playdo and coloring books?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officiating : Do you really think that it's not rigged??  Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

I don't get it with you conspiracy people. Everyone makes mistakes, including refs. So, every mistake now becomes a conspiracy? I mean, what other evidence do you people rely on to make these ridiculous accusations?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

BBReigns-   I agree with this post completely! I understand where your coming from. In Response to Re: Officiating:
    [QUOTE]I just felt the facemask call helped Pitt get that first TD and it swung the momentum. Smelled a little.  There was also a flag that came out on a PI call (I think) well after the play was gone that favored Pitt.  Overall, it wasn't poorly officiated, I was just questioning the timing of the calls when one team is down and then all of a sudden, the refs get aggressive dropping flags for the team that is down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officiating : Do you really think that it's not rigged??  Better question why have each team play 16 regular season games at all? Regular season games mean little if at all. A new approach worth considering. First week all 32 teams play instant death winner progresses. Second week 8 remaining teams play winner progresses. Third week 4 remaining teams play winner progresses. Fourth week the two winners play in the SB.
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

I really have no idea how your "better question" relates to my post, if at all.

And, the regular season in the NFL is one of the few that really do matter. You do remember that an 11-5 Patriot team was not in the playoffs just two years ago. I would say that one more win in the regular season in 2008 certainly mattered to them then.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

This is what makes Pro Football so unique, they only play one game a week, every game is so important. Also for the fans, we all really look forward each week to the big game. Unlike other sports, there is a fine-line between going 12-4 or 8-8. So the regular season is important and every game is a big game.In Response to Re: Officiating:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officiating : I really have no idea how your "better question" relates to my post, if at all. And, the regular season in the NFL is one of the few that really do matter. You do remember that an 11-5 Patriot team was not in the playoffs just two years ago. I would say that one more win in the regular season in 2008 certainly mattered to them then.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Officiating:
    [QUOTE]I hate to bring this up, but it was hard to ignore the one side officiaiting last night. The facemask call was clearly the worst.  I could not believe it. It almost appeared they started to concoct calls to get Pitt back into it.  They called Holding early, too, and then stopped calling it.
    I think that bad positioning by the stripes along with the fact that the offensive players' lowering of his head to protect himself led to an assumption of a tugged face mask. Not reviewable so the point is moot. I wasn't happy with the call but in the end the right team won.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]How about the fourth quarter punt where Pittsburg's players were trying to shove the punt returner into the ball? That resulted in a Packer un-sportsman like conduct penalty. Why were the Steelers not penalized on that play?
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]
    The officials saw what the Steeler players were trying to do and if the ball had touched the GB player and recovered by the curtain, it would have still gone to the Pack. 38's reaction deserved a flag. Didn't keep is head in check.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donk3. Show donk3's posts

[QUOTE]Classless fans? Pretty pathetic to lump all Steeler fans into one category. If you don't think every city has their share of obnoxious fans, including New England, your living in a cave. As far as the Officiating goes, Harrison & Woodley get held on just about every other play, yet it's never called.

The fact is that the fans in Pittsburgh cheered when Brady was injured by the cheap shot.  When an entire stadium is on their feet applauding Brady's knee injury, that shows me that the all of them are trash.  Another fact is that Pittsburgh hit Carson Palmer with a similar cheap shot in the playoffs after he completed a pass on the first play of the game.  Neither cheap shot was flagged.  I suggest the next time you watch your Steelers, while you are complaining about the non holding calls on the other team's Oline, watch the replays of your secondary who can't keep their hands off of recievers. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donk3. Show donk3's posts

Let me add that Steelcurtain75 seems to be a real fan of the game who happens to love the Steelers.  I am not including you or anyone like you in my post.  Years ago, the Philly fans were rightfully called out for cheering Michael Irving's injury in their stadium.  I know each team has their share of animals in the stands......Remember the browns fans throwing batteries?.....  As much as I hate the Steelers and Raiders, I do not wish any of their players injured.  To cheer an injury to any player on another team is classless.  The Steelers fans cheered.  That is why I hate the Steelers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Years ago, the Philly fans were rightfully called out for cheering Michael Irving's injury in their stadium.

Don't forget pelting poor Santa with snowballs!  I like the posts that SteelCurtain75 writes. He is a fan of football. I feel your pain on your SB loss.

Sections
Shortcuts