Officiating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Officiating

I was scratching my head a bit on some of these calls and non-calls as well.  Especailly the timing of them which helped sustain drives for San Diego.  But the defense held up and got the turnovers.  I don't think last years defense would have been able to over come this.  San Diego is a very strong team and with the help they got they should have come away with the victory but didn't.  The D held up. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Horrible officiating-no Personal foul tackling Bradys Knee-Gronk was pulled down running a route-Boddens jams called-and some very timely bad calls to give SD every chance  to stay in the game. Refs should be fined like the players for Hits if they make/miss blatant calls, maybe then they will stop trying to control games-LET THEM PLAY!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

they are killing this great game!!!! In Response to Re: Officiating:
    As soon as I saw the BS roughing the passer call on Carter i said "Oh yeah. I can see where this is headed." After that, what followed wasn't much of a surprise. Horrible officiating. I'd like to see officials fined for bad bad calls the way players are fined for bad hits. It might make them pay more attention and do a better job. I know, I know. Never gonna happen. Anyway, turnovers were the key difference in the game.
    Posted by antibody

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanUK. Show PatsFanUK's posts

The roughing the passer call on Carter was staggeringly bad - he hits Rivers in the chest and goes in for the tackle before Rivers releases the ball. What else is he supposed to do?

Bodden's PI calls were aopparently due to making contact beyond 5 yards - if that was the case then you'd be throwing flags on pretty much every single pass play in the game. Petty officiating there.

Brown's PI call looked like a 50/50 challenge to me - they both had their arms locked together, but Gates was as fallible as Brown IMO.

Some awful calls, but we got through it. On to Buffalo...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I agree with King this was one of the worst officiated games in a long time! And i say that after watching the Saints / Bears game prior which I thought was horrible as well! In the Pats game the one that really got me was in the 4th qtr (I think) when the Pats had 3rd down and Brady looked for Welker and over threw him and Welker was throwing his arms up looking for a call. Well the replay didnt show any penalty on Welker but 7-8 yard underneath him Gronk was running his middle route and the defender tackled him and threw him to the ground and landed on top of him! Why no call there?! And the official ws RIGHT THERE! Did anyone else see this play?

As for the 3rd down conversions for the Chargers, we were terrible! Alot of the blame I think has to go to whatever LB was supposed to spy the back out of the backfield because Rivers kept finding the back over and over again for first downs. The good news its correctable.

As for Mccourty, I think he has had two rough games, but in fairness to him he has had pretty good coverage its just that VJackson is a beast! I didn't realize he was that good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

I wish the flippin' refs would just let the player play! These ridiculous calls are are wrecking the game!

Go Pats!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I think the NFL is trying to do the same thing the NBA does, using the refs to keep the games close and interesting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Officiating:
    How about Weddle putting his helmet into Gronkowski's face/helmet on one of his TD's. No call there after all the BS calls against the Pats.
    Posted by Brady2Moss07

You must have fallen asleep. He got 15 yards and G put the KO through the uprights.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymous. Show fanonymous's posts

I agree that the calls on Carter and Brown were terrible.  I also thought the hit on Gronk in the end zone was clean (and yes it was penalized).  If Carter gets fined, it will be the height of injustice.  The game is getting hard to watch frankly.   Something else, if you're going to penalize/fine a defensive player for leading with the helmet, then why not penalize an offensive player for the same thing, e.g., Tolbert going low on McCourty when he had the ball.  I wouldn't be in favor of that being a penalty, but it's no less violent than when a defensive player does it.
    Posted by Muzwell

YES, YES, YES!   guess you gotta put your helmet to one side or the other when tackling these days, even when you initiate with your arms and are wrapping up ... wish PI calls were reviewable ( at least in some sort of post-game officiating analysis with each team ) - Brown did a good job and should not have been penalized ... and the hit on Arrington was inexcusable - he took a good position for the tackle and got punished for it ( the ball carrier can stiff-arm, or lower a shoulder, but NOT use the helmet )

when will Goodell understand that tough, clean defensive plays are just as exciting as completed passes and high scores

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Horrible officiating-no Personal foul tackling Bradys Knee-Gronk was pulled down running a route-Boddens jams called-and some very timely bad calls to give SD every chance  to stay in the game. Refs should be fined like the players for Hits if they make/miss blatant calls, maybe then they will stop trying to control games-LET THEM PLAY!!!!!
    Posted by jimmytantric

I didn't want to say any thing about controlling games in my post because I didn't want a bunch of people jumping on me and calling me a conspiracy theorist, but you are absolutely right. NFL officials do create penalties in the same way NBA officials do. Whether it is for their own purposes or league directed is debatable. That's my opinion anyway. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who sees it that way. If this assumption is erroneous then the reality is just as bad, or worse, depending on your point of view. It would mean that officiating has reached a level of incompetence that has become overwhelmingly horrific. If these men were employed in most any other industry, they would be dismissed due to gross incompetence. Since this is a part time job for these guys, it makes me wonder what kind of abysmal screw-ups they are at their regular jobs.

The time for year-round full time officials, who work independently of NFL influence is long overdue. But that will never happen. It's all about who controls the corruption.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Officiating:
    Probably the worst I've seen in years. Years. That side judge made 3 incorretct holding calls on NE and SD.  Bodden was flagged twice for a simple jam/man coverage move and Cason on Welker.  Just flat out incorrect calls. ' The roughing on Carter was grand larceny. A textbook, simple follow through into the numbers. My god.  What on earth is the problem? And finally, the Sergio Brown, textbook turn and not make contect with Gates whatsoever/PI call. I am just speechless. The defense was outstanding outside of the two big Rivers 3rd down passes where his throws were perfect, but those penalties not only extended drives, they gave SD 1st downs on GREAT plays by the D. Not big on conspiracies, but my good god was that bad officiating.  I started to concede the loss after the Sergio Brown call. GREAT game by the D.  Shutting down Gates like that was pheomenal under those circumtances. The run D wa superb.  Tolbert did kill them in the passing game, but overall, a nice job against a what everyone was saying was a top flight SB caliber team.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I was just about to start a thread entitled, " I guess The Brady Rule Doesn't apply To Brady" but this thread is close enough. I was watching the NFL redzone Yesterday and I saw the Brady rule called twice in two different games and that is only very limited time on each game with the redzone so I'm sure there was more. However, against the Chargers last night there were two Blatant occasions where Chargers D-Linemen Dove right at Brady's Shins (They were not blocked into him) locked onto his ankle and twisted. Neither of which were called. As mentioned above, the refs had no problem calling defensive holding on Bodden that never happened and Roughing the passer that was so non-existent that Phil Simms had to use 3 paragraphs to try and explain why it was a good and righteous call. Sorry Phil, I don't even think you bought that one.

On the Bright side even with that garbage we still won in large fashion and the defense made at least a half a dozen huge plays against a real good team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Carter call was terrible and should be addressed by league......the players are trying to be more careful....but if you are going to flag them anyways why should they even try?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I think the NFL is trying to do the same thing the NBA does, using the refs to keep the games close and interesting.
    Posted by rtuinila

Or dictate the outcomes of games.

Tim Donaghy, anyone? If you think he's the only one, you're kidding yourself.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Also.....If we are in Sandiego I understand that a team gets home town call but this shouldn't happen when we're the home team. One thing I have noticed since 2007 is that we don't always get the home town calls anymore. It's almost like the refs go out of their way just to prove thay are not biased for us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

I agree with you on the Carter roughing call. The ref said he hit him with the hairline of the helmet. Since when is that a penalty? That was a textbook tackle. Reiss even said he should have raised his head. Had he done that he would have drilled Rivers in the head. I just don't get what constitutes a penalty anymore.
    Posted by tartarus12

Proper form tackling is putting your face into the opponent's #/#'s. If Carter raises is hat, he drills Rivers on the chin strap and probably induces a concussion. Face down may equate spearing. This is high school 101.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Officiating : Dude, they had many turnovers based on the gameplan, which was clearly taking Gates out and playing a mix of man and zone. The never really blitzed. When you have such a good way to beat that team by covering and taking out Gates, you really shouldn't change it. Why is everyone fixated on the smallest of aspects when the end result is the key? Look at OchoCinco.  The guy clearly looked good, but because the system vets like Gronkandez, Welker and Branch are so effective, no one will say a word now. Stop looking for complainst to complain.  The D bailed out that offense yet again, whether people want to admit or not. That shotgun crap is so awful, I have no idea how O'Brien survives.

You might as well consider Gates a decoy in this game because 6 or 7 other receivers were open down field and that's without their most athletic wide out in Floyd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

the carter call was terrible! Text book hit there...and too bad there was a flag....awful. 
    Posted by NOISE

I've heard the argument that QBs should be subject to the same violence as the rest of the players. He's independent of it to protect him in order to make the game more exciting. That's fair.
    Text book hit, yes, if he's any other player than a QB. NFL rule: 'no player may run into a passer of a legal forward pass after the ball has left his hand'. A QB cannot be lifted and dropped to the playing surface. Once I saw Rivers come off his feet, I knew a flag was coming. I've seen D players do this and they sometimes make sure to drive their weight into the QB with intent to injure. I've seen multiple QB rule changes in recent years, the latest Brady Rule is a great deterrent for D players purposely trying to inflict injury to the knees. The NFL cannot afford to lose premier players to dilute potentially great competitive seasons. Shame about PM right now. Where would we be if the top 5 QBs in the league were all done for the season right now? I'd be bored out of my te ats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

Dude, they had two legit 3rd downs and they were GREAT throws into GREAT coverage!! FLoyd had them both. The other drives were extended by awful officiating.  Awful.  Funny when Carter bears down or McCourty or Brown makes a great play on D, the refs step in. Admit it. Those were AWFUL calls by the refs that extended drives. Do you really ever thing a good team and a good player or players ever make a good play against your Pats? Ever?

right, those first downs were just great plays by floyd and rivers. the throw was perfect, only where floyd could get it using his height to make a sensational catch.  no defense would stop that kind of execution. 

the flags extended a few of the other drives, most of which were questionable . the officials are calling it too close on the little stuff but look the other way when a guy takes a cheap shot at brady. 

yesterday was as bad an officiated game seen in a while. they have to get this right or its going to decide any close game. people talk about how bad the nba officiating is but the nfl is worse and can have more of an impact on the outcome of a game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Officiating: 
    I couldn't agree more on two counts:  Carter call was hor$e$hit.  One of the worst of its kind that I've seen.  Brady low hit/knee twister no-call was worse.  Can't recall who it was but he was low going in, stayed low and hit low.  That's classic Brady-rule 15-yarder and yet no flag.

I don't mind tight officiating if it's consistent and this was absolutely not consistent.  The PI call on Brown could have gone either way.

Defense:
    Taking Gates out of the game was a significant defensive accomplishment and they did exactly that.  4 turnovers are 4 turnovers.  No matter how you slice it was huge.  Rusty's right in that a couple of those SD drives were extended by questionable calls. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Officiating:
    Probably the worst I've seen in years. Years. That side judge made 3 incorretct holding calls on NE and SD.  Bodden was flagged twice for a simple jam/man coverage move and Cason on Welker.  Just flat out incorrect calls. ' The roughing on Carter was grand larceny. A textbook, simple follow through into the numbers. My god.  What on earth is the problem? And finally, the Sergio Brown, textbook turn and not make contect with Gates whatsoever/PI call. I am just speechless. The defense was outstanding outside of the two big Rivers 3rd down passes where his throws were perfect, but those penalties not only extended drives, they gave SD 1st downs on GREAT plays by the D. Not big on conspiracies, but my good god was that bad officiating.  I started to concede the loss after the Sergio Brown call. GREAT game by the D.  Shutting down Gates like that was pheomenal under those circumtances. The run D wa superb.  Tolbert did kill them in the passing game, but overall, a nice job against a what everyone was saying was a top flight SB caliber team.

You are right they werent holding calls they were illegal contact for touching after 5 yards.  Either Way Bodden is still  not right Like I warned to you.  He is grabbing on cuz he cant cover right now....eithwer way he cost us some yards with his poor play...but thats your boy, so you made a thread about officiating to cover for him...lol

but the officiating was poor tho.  No flag for Bradys hit, yet Carter gets flagged for a perfect hit...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Officiating :The thing that pisses me off the most in Goodell's NFL is that the defenses are getting dinged with these ridiculous fines left and right and when was the last guy on offense fined ?Posted by Hog73

Arrington (if I remember correctly) got a little shelll-shock when he butted heads with Mathews near the sideline in the third quarter. I simply don't understand why defenders are flagged, fined, and sent to bed without their supper for even thinking about trying to make a punishing hit . . .  but running backs initiate contact with their heads on virtually every touch and that's perfectly okay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Whatever doesn't kill this team, makes them stronger.

Seriously.  There were ****** calls throughout the NFL yesterday; it wasn't just this game.  And the measure of a great team is how they respond to the blown calls.

There were about 3 or 4 teams yesterday that lost confidence and body language when they got flagged for questionable calls.  The Pats don't fold like that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Officiating : Why is everyone fixated on the smallest of aspects when the end result is the key?

My guess would be because you're not always going to be able to count on your opponent turning the ball over four times.

Now . . .   you might say defenses cause turnovers, and in some cases that's true, but even if you believe that, you're still saying you must create those four turnovers in order to win . . .  so where are you?

As Pats fans, we take the win, but if I'm San Dago, I'm thinking I just lost to a team I should have beaten. Of course, I also said last week that  if  you keep the Chargers in front of you, sooner or later they'll shoot themselves in the foot  (no great secret) and they shot themselves repeatedly (again) yesterday. Still . . .  when I'm watching Belichick eschewing the punt at midfield (with a wink and a nod to the Colts fourth-and-two game two years ago), I see a guy who has realized that his defense can't stop San Dago . . .   and hoping your opponent will beat himself -- while it worked yesterday -- doesn't usually work in January (as we saw last season).

Sections
Shortcuts