Offseason News and Rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

Re: Offseason News and Rumors

ehh not happining

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

So you think Peppers will come to New England for this

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=19&year=2009

I don't think so.

If anyone clicks on the link --take a look at Moss' numbers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

m1021us, no thanks, this isnt a senior citizens league.  No LBs under 30, one that can almost collect social security (ok maybe not, but in football years he can).  I would love Taylor on a 1 year deal to teach some young guys we draft, but we need youth  at LB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

rumors are that pats are interested in thomas jones and that dallas is interested in randy moss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Offseason News and Rumors:

ok heres what the pats need to do .they need to sign a big name running back to take some pressure off  their game .as u know they are a team that likes to put the ball in the air. as for maroney hes a bum
    Posted by jaymalacaso

Um, it is the O-line that needs work, not the RB's....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Without Moss and Welker or an excellent running game the offense is just what Brady can do (throw to Edelman or screen to Faulk) with some very limited talent. Unless the Cowpokes want to do Moss for Ware straight up there will be no trade. Moss is a once in generation player; when his HOF career is finally over the only player ahead of him in terms of stats is Jerry Rice....very elite company. And he and Brady are pals. I can't see trading Moss getting the Hallmark seal of appoval from Brady with a WR corps that has little or no depth without Moss or Welker.

My only concern with Peppers is that he is cost prohibative. Seems to me that signing Fork, Mankins, Bodden and extending Brady (and still signing some draftees) would be very difficult if we sign Peppers. Taylor would cost significantly less, but if we sign him the Phins sign Dansby and get the better player. I'd rather have Dansby than Taylor or Peppers, but the obstacles that apply to Peppers could also apply to Dansby. The Pats might wait to see who sets the market on  free agent LBs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The latest rumor I heard is that the Pats are going to pick up: Peppers Dansby Bolden Marshall T.O. Mason Jason Taylor Branch L.T. Westbrook Asomugah and many more! They will trade Moss Brady Wilfork Mankins They will also manuever in the draft so they can pick up Suh, Spiller, Golden Tate, Spikes, and Sapp.
    Posted by shenanigan

Beautiful exsum.

You had better watch out though. I hear the BDC brass are gunning for you now that you have removed the need for a rumor board.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

How come no one address ILB?? I think we need help at that position. Mayo is a stud and I think highly of Mckenzie, but he is still a rookie. Guyton is a joke and he needs to be replaced by someone with experience!
    Posted by haldager

I love McKenzie's looks; the kid has no neck and looks he was born to be a MLB. He's also been spending his IR year studying films, pumping iron and learning the defense. I think he's going to be difference maker in the middle.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

So you think Peppers will come to New England for this ... I don't think so. If anyone clicks on the link --take a look at Moss' numbers.
    Posted by NEGAME

Moss comes off after this year, which is uncapped, so he's not really an issue. 

As far as Peppers goes, the key thing would be the signing bonus it would take to land him, not necessarily the salary.  He'd probably take a salary like Thomas if he got $20+ mil up front. 

One thing I'm not sure anybody knows is what happens to signing bonuses paid in 2010 with the new labor deal, will they be counted like in the past?  Maybe a team looking to sign a FA this year and avoid cap hell can just characterize the first year payment as mostly salary and assign a very small part as signing bonus.  That way, since '10 is uncapped, there is no big signing bonus to spread to later capped years and no cap hit beyond whatever salary is paid in those years.  Then the player could be traded or waived without worrying about a cap hit. 

I wonder if there's anything preventing this, maybe somebody knows?   

The problem is there may be no football in 2011...gets complicated.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

So you think Peppers will come to New England for this Thomas, Adalius $ 1,900,000 $ 0 $ 107,280 $ 2,007,280 $ 6,407,280 LB http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=19&year=2009 I don't think so. If anyone clicks on the link --take a look at Moss' numbers.
    Posted by NEGAME

And what is his cap hit?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Offseason News and Rumors : Moss comes off after this year, which is uncapped, so he's not really an issue.  As far as Peppers goes, the key thing would be the signing bonus it would take to land him, not necessarily the salary.  He'd probably take a salary like Thomas if he got $20+ mil up front.  One thing I'm not sure anybody knows is what happens to signing bonuses paid in 2010 with the new labor deal, will they be counted like in the past?  Maybe a team looking to sign a FA this year and avoid cap hell can just characterize the first year payment as mostly salary and assign a very small part as signing bonus.  That way, since '10 is uncapped, there is no big signing bonus to spread to later capped years and no cap hit beyond whatever salary is paid in those years.  Then the player could be traded or waived without worrying about a cap hit.  I wonder if there's anything preventing this, maybe somebody knows?    The problem is there may be no football in 2011...gets complicated.
    Posted by Muzwell

The owners are treating this season like it is a capped year because they don't wan't someone going overboard with signing players. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Muz, here is a post I had up a few days back that answers all of that on the cap rules.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a25708d7b-a518-40a5-ad4c-608b4b7c5d05

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Offseason News and Rumors : And what is his cap hit?
    Posted by m1021us

No cap in 2010.  Nobody has a cap hit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Muz, here is a post I had up a few days back that answers all of that on the cap rules. http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a25708d7b-a518-40a5-ad4c-608b4b7c5d05
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Thanks Mordecai. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Muz, here is a post I had up a few days back that answers all of that on the cap rules. http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a25708d7b-a518-40a5-ad4c-608b4b7c5d05
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Well, this answered my question, but now I have a headache from reading it...

So, you want to be a capologist?

Sections
Shortcuts