Offseason Plans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Re: Offseason Plans

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Offseason plans? Hmmmm.....

1) Spending 14 wonderful days on an Aruban beach in late February (Merry Christmas to me!)

2) Get that oil channged in the old truckster ('99 Tahoe, free/clear, churning out 16 MPG) before heading to Aruba 

3) Get ready for umpiring. (Those evil youths are getting bigger and faster. Beach activities with 6 of my best friends named "Bud" will help this cause tremendously.))

4) Get the old smoker and grill ready for THEIR upcoming seasons

5) Pray that the Sox are at least competitive in '13.

6) Oh, yeah, spend more time with the Mrs (Isn't this more like a New Year Resolution "thing"?) 

[/QUOTE]

Here here!  I like some of the offseason moves so far, albeit a few of those contracts were too large for my liking.  Oh well, I'd take a slightly overpaid dirtdog like Victorino than to throw 142 million dollars at the mentally weak bum in Crawford.  Go Sox!

[/QUOTE]

Big contracts are funny things. When the player is performing, it's all well, fine, and good. When they don't, it's all horrible. Just venture back in time to the Pedro FA deal. The Sox KNEW he wasn't worth the big contract, but got baited into a bidding war Pedro created with the Mets (Sox fans were the driving force on this, NOT Theo). The Mets won (???) out and got saddled for HUGE money over 3+ years. No one questioned Beckett's paycheck, as long as he was pitching like he was a Cy Young candidate. When he wasn't, the Sox were saddled with a big non-performing contract.

Money isn't the issue. As long as the player(s) perform, they'll pay teh bucks. Pay small, get small. Look no further than KC for this. They have developed good talent, then either traded it away for more potential talent, or lost them to FA. I doubt if season ticket holders will continue to shell out big bucks for sub .500 seasons for a long period of time. I just want them to spend it wisely, and get good value for it. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Offseason Plans

[QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Offseason plans? Hmmmm.....

1) Spending 14 wonderful days on an Aruban beach in late February (Merry Christmas to me!)

2) Get that oil channged in the old truckster ('99 Tahoe, free/clear, churning out 16 MPG) before heading to Aruba 

3) Get ready for umpiring. (Those evil youths are getting bigger and faster. Beach activities with 6 of my best friends named "Bud" will help this cause tremendously.))

4) Get the old smoker and grill ready for THEIR upcoming seasons

5) Pray that the Sox are at least competitive in '13.

6) Oh, yeah, spend more time with the Mrs (Isn't this more like a New Year Resolution "thing"?) 

[/QUOTE]

Here here!  I like some of the offseason moves so far, albeit a few of those contracts were too large for my liking.  Oh well, I'd take a slightly overpaid dirtdog like Victorino than to throw 142 million dollars at the mentally weak bum in Crawford.  Go Sox!

[/QUOTE]

Big contracts are funny things. When the player is performing, it's all well, fine, and good. When they don't, it's all horrible. Just venture back in time to the Pedro FA deal. The Sox KNEW he wasn't worth the big contract, but got baited into a bidding war Pedro created with the Mets (Sox fans were the driving force on this, NOT Theo). The Mets won (???) out and got saddled for HUGE money over 3+ years. No one questioned Beckett's paycheck, as long as he was pitching like he was a Cy Young candidate. When he wasn't, the Sox were saddled with a big non-performing contract.

Money isn't the issue. As long as the player(s) perform, they'll pay teh bucks. Pay small, get small. Look no further than KC for this. They have developed good talent, then either traded it away for more potential talent, or lost them to FA. I doubt if season ticket holders will continue to shell out big bucks for sub .500 seasons for a long period of time. I just want them to spend it wisely, and get good value for it. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying money is the only issue.  I just think we have ventured down the path of the Yankees in overpaying for people that aren't necessarily a necessity but rather a 'sexy' signing.  Crawford was essentially an Ellsbury duplicate so you have 2 young studs in the OF who have similar talents.  I would have rather spent the money on retaining Ellsbury who was home grown.  The Crawford signing made absolutely zero sense to me.  He's not suited for the leadoff spot because of his low OBP, and he doesn't have enough power to be a #3 hitter.  That forced them to move Pedy around, who should have stayed in the #2 hole considering he's one of the best #2 hitters in the league.  So, where do you stick Crawford?  6th? 7th?  Not for a 142 million dollar player.

Like I said, I have no problem with them spending money but I do have a problem with them wildly spending just to spend with no structured plan set.