Oh to see the Pats with a WR who sprints down the field wide open....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Oh to see the Pats with a WR who sprints down the field wide open....

In response to wozzy's comment:

Not for nothing but the Pats are tied for 9th in the NFL in yards per passing play, 7th in passing plays of 20+ yards which statistically makes them the 7th best deep ball threat team in the NFL.

We won a Super Bowl with Troy Brown, Deion Branch and David Givens as our leading receiver, so the idea that a "vertical threat" is what's missing is unfounded.  The Ravens beat us because they physically beat the tar out of us, what this team needs more than anything is more toughness.

Deep passes happen because of play action and missed defensive assignments, not because of magical players that every other team besides New England seems to possess.  Funny how it's all about "execution" until it isn't.

Ridley made all the difference Sunday, didn't he? C'mon Wozzy, you actually had a post yesterday calling for five TEs on the roster.  We need more diversity on offense and that means a wider variety of threats with different skills. That includes a real x-type wideout or two.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Fair Wozz, but you still need players who can get it done. The ravens blanketed our wr's in the 2nd half, and if we have small wr's that can't be physical or get separation , then it puts the honus  on Brady to fit it into small spaces. Conversely if you have a WR that can get downfield , is physical and can out muscle a defender it would do wonders for our short game plus make opposing defenses have to commit more than 1 defender. 

The pats have just too much cash tied up in the short game. I would do 1 of 2 things as ou mentioned...resign welker or trade Hern. Seriously, what is herns role once you have Gronk and Ballard lined up? He plays slot, rb or maybe outside. He doesn't have the speed to be that outside threat. Something needs to change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

and gets plenty of seperation, gets to the ball to makes plays and score TDs.

Saw that from the other three teams in the playoffs Sunday, but not the Pats.  Who is around the Pats can pick up in the off season or draft?  Mike Beaulieu  ....  some thoughts?

It aint coming via the draft so i dont know why you asking MB. Any draft pics we have need to be spent on Defense. We thought we hit the sweepstakes with LLoyd but I told folks that there was a reason he came cheap and been on 9 different teams. Wes is old and it showed this year and he works too hard to get open. We need a WR that the games comes easy to him. Wes is snarling and grimacing after every 5 yard catch and is worn down by the end of games. We need Larry Fitzgerald like I said and We need to Jettisone Jerod "no show" mayo who got couldnt tackle Rice when he needed to at the goal line or anything else besides 2 good hits. Sobering but reality is this Team aint good enough. We mask things in reg. season but playoffs exposes our warts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:

No question we need a deep threat. However if Gronk and Hern. can ever stay healthy having the 2 tight end attack it won't be as obvious we don't have a deep threat.

======

I disagree as these two make for match up headaches in the short to mid range area.  If you do not have anyone with the threat to take it deep on most plays, the opponents D can just about ignore the deep plays and concentrate of packing up the short stuff with no fear for over the top plays.  Pats O need to present headaches to the other D everywhere.

Since 2000, how many  WRs did the Patriots have that meet your description?

I want to say one - Moss - and his "success" lasted one year. How many SB rings did having Moss translate into? Zero

Yes, but to add to his point,. We no longer have a dominant defense so maybe we DO need a deep threat that can loosen things up in postseason. As it is now , we never score against the better defenses in postseason. Plenty of excuses,drops,etc,  but when you have TFB, his outside threats should be better than Branch and Lloyd. Those guys aint scaring anyone and thats a smack in the face for a Great QB to throw to those targets. Branch should be retired. Lloyd is a # 2 and Wes is a slot. He is not a Clutch playmaker they want him to be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Fair Wozz, but you still need players who can get it done. The ravens blanketed our wr's in the 2nd half, and if we have small wr's that can't be physical or get separation , then it puts the honus  on Brady to fit it into small spaces. Conversely if you have a WR that can get downfield , is physical and can out muscle a defender it would do wonders for our short game plus make opposing defenses have to commit more than 1 defender. 

The pats have just too much cash tied up in the short game. I would do 1 of 2 things as ou mentioned...resign welker or trade Hern. Seriously, what is herns role once you have Gronk and Ballard lined up? He plays slot, rb or maybe outside. He doesn't have the speed to be that outside threat. Something needs to change.

OK so what was the difference between the 1st half and the 2nd?  

Physicality, for a long time I've been calling this team finesse, soft... Sunday we saw a more physical team come out in the 2nd half and want it more.  That's all, no lack of talent, nothing changed in personnel.  The tougher team won. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

There has been times this year when recievers did break free downfield - Brady either over or under threw them. Brady never has had a big arm for a long bomb...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Physicality, for a long time I've been calling this team finesse, soft... Sunday we saw a more physical team come out in the 2nd half and want it more.  That's all, no lack of talent, nothing changed in personnel.  The tougher team won. 

Ravens adjustments which we did none of. How can you expect a 5'9" WR, another way beyond his prime and another that does his best to avoid any type contact to out physical the ravens secondary? 

its not a lack of talent on the offense, but rather the wrong talent to match up effectively with more physical defenses. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Point out the 6'4" burner on the Patriot championship teams from 01' to 04' and I'll believe you...

Oh yeah and Randy Moss didn't win a ring in NE, he"ll possibly win one this year with the 49ers though because they're tough, play smashmouth offensive football and smack you in the mouth on defense.  Toughness is all this team needs, ours disappeared with injury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ravens adjustments which we did none of. How can you expect a 5'9" WR, another way beyond his prime and another that does his best to avoid any type contact to out physical the ravens secondary? 

its not a lack of talent on the offense, but rather the wrong talent to match up effectively with more physical defenses. 

Bingo. We had the talent we just didn't have the receiver who will fight for the ball in this match up. Normally that would be Gronk but with him gone the Ravens CB's could beat up on our guys at the line all day. Having someone to fight for the ball would have made a big difference in this game, not to mention if we cut down on half the drops for firsts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Point out the 6'4" burner on the Patriot championship teams from 01' to 04' and I'll believe you...

Oh yeah and Randy Moss didn't win a ring in NE, he"ll possibly win one this year with the 49ers though because they're tough, play smashmouth offensive football and smack you in the mouth on defense.  Toughness is all this team needs, ours disappeared with injury.

We didn't have one, but our d was smashmouth then much like the ravens and 49'ers of today. Talking about 01-04. 07 you still had a smashmouth d, but one which was aging, and it begun the issue we have had with the secondary...Ellis Hobbs ring a bell? 

I am not asking door a 6'4" burner. I asking for a 6'1-6'3" WR who goes for about 220lbs that can create separation, has speed and can also wrestle the ball, go,up and get it when they have to. Someone that makes a living in the medium to long part of the field. 

lets compore the ravens again...smashmouth d, and 2 wr's that fit the above bill. I don't think it is one or the other..we need both. Physical d and o, and add a complimentary piece to our passing game...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Long passes happen because of play action and good execution, if Welker had actually caught a few of those passes instead of letting them slip through his fingers we're not even having this conversation, he didn't drop passes because he was too short.  Those championship teams won because the offense executed in crunchtime and we had a clutch kicker.  We were mentally and physically tough.  The better team won Sunday, the Pat's team is young and probably got cocky at the half, part of being mentally tough is playing until the final whistle.  Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see as many dominant receivers on NE's roster as possible but that's not why we lost Sunday or how we won in early 2000's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I think it is a size as much as a speed thing. The Patriots top three WRs are 5'9" 185 lbs, 5'9" 195 lbs, and 6'0" 200 lbs. Even Hernandez is not that big at 6'1" 245 lbs. Without Gronk they are a very small receiving team. 

Meanwhile, the Ravens guys are 6'0" 205 lbs, 6'1" 223 lbs and 6'2" 212 lbs with Pitta coming in at 6'4" 245 lbs. Look around the NFL, there are WR 6'2" in the 220 lbs range all over the place. Without Gronk in there, no one on the offense can physically go get a contested ball the way that Boldin caught both of his TDs.

you are correct.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

league has change the pass interference rules. IT IS A JUMP BALL LEAGUE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

bump

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

2007 season will be 7 years ago come next season. Brady at this stage can probably do better and be very productive by dissecting the defense with those under 20 yards a pop high percentage pass when there is a group of dependable and sure-handed receivers, TE and RBs available to him.

Sections
Shortcuts