Ohio State is going down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Ohio State is going down

It will be interesting to see 1) what further discipline they apply to themselves and 2) what the NCAA's penalty is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Re: Ohio State is going down

Probably the wrong forum to discuss this; however, I agree totally...OSU is "lack of institutional control." If the NCAA is remotely consistent, what happened to USC will be a slap on the hand compared to OSU. That said, the NCAA often does not act consistently....Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This is football desperation, when the only thing available on a Patriots board is some aspect of what might be an Indiana-Ohio college football rivalry for all I know.  I really have to stop reading this stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Ohio State is going down:
    It will be interesting to see 1) what further discipline they apply to themselves and 2) what the NCAA's penalty is.
    Posted by UD6

Karma is a b*tch - after hearing their president talk up the BCS, I'm amused to watch all of this unfold.  They didn't get the largest athletic program by offering recruits the best academics available...

Hopefully this helps unravel the BCS.  Maybe Mark Cuban's playoff system can gain some headway in the next couple years amid the scandals that are coming to light

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm glad a light is FINALLY being shown in all those dark, dirty corners of the NCAA. They take advantage of these kids, grind them up, and spit them out. The ones that don't make it to the pros have little to nothing else going for them because they are often coddled, and pushed through classes they don't deserve to graduate. When they get into the "real world" reality smacks them in the ace, and they are left dealing with the reality that...nobody cares about them and isn't here to hand them whatever they want.

With the millions the NCAA makes off these kids, why not pay them a little money? THey aren't allowed to get jobs because of the potential for misgivings, and they, apparently, can't sell their own property. The NCAA then punishes the kids harshly, a slap on the rist for the school, and rarely anything for the coach and AD. Pitiful. At some point, I'd like to see a class action suit bury the NCAA for good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

the si article is recommended reading.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Ohio State is going down:
    The NCAA is worse than a cult...it's sort of like Scientology the way it sends it's hypocritical directions and rules downward to it's members and demands cash back upwards in return, then banishes it's own for developing common sense. These kids have a right to make some cash for their efforts as long as the NCAA and member schools make a bundle OFF OF those efforts. The NCAA is a vulgar anachronism at it's core. OSU should pay a price for allowing such stupidity to run rampant while turning a knowing blind eye to it all. But I'm definitely in support of allowing  these athletes to cash in on the marketing and box office revenue produced by their efforts. However, I think it ends when one guy gets to drive new cars every few months for nada when others on your team can't afford to bye a pizza...something is wrong there.
    Posted by jfaust1954

Faust, I don't disagree but how do you do the same thing for all of the scholarship athletes in non-revenue generating sports, and do you really believe that a stipend will curb players taking money and gifts from boosters who seem so willing to provide them?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rusty - but what if Tressel facilitated some of the introductions to the boosters who have paid and/or given gifts to these players?  If that's the case is he still a scapegoat?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i don't think the penalty on OSU will be as harsh because USC boosters gave $ for bush to go there, OSU wasn't the one with the infraction, it was the players and the coach for not snitching on them.  I still think Tressel was a great coach and he was simply verifying the fact that the offenses occured before confronting the players.  he is a great coach and i am sad that the media has forced him out.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMex2. Show RonMex2's posts

I'm shocked Tressel stooped so low...he was such a good coach...http://60maxpowero.com

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

I'm not interested in turning college football into some semi pro hybrid league. If i want to watch paid players, I'll watch the NFL. Let high schoolers turn pro early like in college bball.
    If they want $ so bad, go pro and ruin your career like Marcus Dupree.
    The reality is I don't care if the colleges and coaches are making money and the players are not. You get yours in other ways. Most football programs outside of the top BCS teams don't make money.What do those programs do ? For most people/families..a college education is one of the most expensive financial endeavors you will ever undertake.
    They also get free housing..free meals..and beautiful practice facilties that are like palaces. saw a show about oregon players. All they did was hang out in the facility all day, meetings..play pool in the state of the art players lounge..x box it..have lunch at the facility..practice..films..etc.
    We were like.."there was no mention of classes or them going to class".
    They already have a pro lifestyle. They have no real on campus expenses.
    Thye don't leave the building.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The problem is that there have been so many ideas floated to change things, but they really don't fix anything.  Pay advocates simply suggest that players bringing in revenue should be paid, but don't address the scholarship athletes that play non-revenue earning sports. 

Fixing the NCAA problem cannot be approached in piecemeal methods.  Further there is no way for the NCAA to effectively police every program in every university to ensure compliance, which is why they have to rely on the member schools' help. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rusty, you make a good point and here may be the ultimate rub.  The NCAA only exists as a sanctioning body created by the schools who participate in it. 

It is not an independent entity, and can be obviously influenced by the very schools it has been charged with policing.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts