ok draft is essentially over...lets move on to free agents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

ok draft is essentially over...lets move on to free agents

love it, hate it, or just confused, the important part of this draft is over. and whatever your opinion on the picks, we all know that the front 7 on defense needs a serious infusion of talent. didnt happen in the draft. so what possible free agents are there out there that could be of any use? i know its complicated since we dont know wht the rules will be yet, but lets just speculate that they will end up going with the 2010 rules (which seems most likely). who is potentially out there that hasnt been franchised? or could the pick stockpiling lead to offering a 1st and 3rd for a franchised player like lamar woodley? hmm....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

Re: ok draft is essentially over...lets move on to free agents

In Response to ok draft is essentially over...lets move on to free agents:
    love it, hate it, or just confused, the important part of this draft is over. and whatever your opinion on the picks, we all know that the front 7 on defense needs a serious infusion of talent. didnt happen in the draft. so what possible free agents are there out there that could be of any use? i know its complicated since we dont know wht the rules will be yet, but lets just speculate that they will end up going with the 2010 rules (which seems most likely). who is potentially out there that hasnt been franchised? or could the pick stockpiling lead to offering a 1st and 3rd for a franchised player like lamar woodley? hmm....
    Posted by artielang

for some reason i don't think BB is as desperate to make a major upgrade at OLB as fans are. but i do like cliff avril if possible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

NOW youre thinking. he could be an interesting player...hard o see detroit letting him walk though. they are really putting something good together on defense. but i like it. 
    was tamba hali franchised? he really came into his own under romeo's (our) defense. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

whatever this is worth.. old.. but informative.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/381560-detroit-lions-ernie-sims-gone-cliff-avril-next

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Since BB passed on grabbing a OLB or a DE so far in the draft, any upgrade in personel to rush the passer is likely to come from Free Agency.  Here's a list of OLB and DE free agents.  Who would be the best choices and what can the Pats afford?

2011 NFL Free Agents: Defensive Ends

• 1. Tamba Hali, DE/OLB, Chiefs. Age: 27.
      Franchised by Chiefs

I'll never understand how Tamba Hali didn't make the Pro Bowl this year. A monstrous pass-rusher, he registered 14.5 sacks. Capable of playing in any defense, Hali is going to make a ton of money this offseason. 

2.  Ray Edwards, DE, Vikings. Age: 26.
      Ray Edwards had a tremendous year, registering eight sacks and shutting down the run on his side. The question remains: How will he fare without the opposition keying in on Jared Allen and Kevin Williams?

3.  Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Giants. Age: 28.

Mathias Kiwanuka looked like he was going to have a monstrous season, racking up four sacks in the first three weeks. Unfortunately, he landed on injured reserve with a season-ending neck injury.

4. Shaun Ellis, DE/DT, Jets. Age: 34.
    Shaun Ellis terrorized Tom Brady in the divisional round of the playoffs. He had a great year, but the concern is his age (34 in June).

5. Charles Johnson, DE, Panthers. Age: 25. 
    One of the top young defensive free agents on the market, Charles Johnson became the fifth Panther ever to record double-digit sacks (12) in 2010. He was dominant from the left end position all year. Carolina cannot afford to let him go.

6. Cliff Avril (RFA), DE, Lions. Age: 25.

Tendered by Lions (1st, 3rd)

Cliff Avril is a tremendous pass-rusher - 8.5 sacks in 13 games - but he's a liability against the run.

Jason Babin, DE, Titans. Age: 31. 
    Jason Babin recorded 12.5 sacks in 2010. However, his previous high was five sacks back in 2006. Is he just a one-hit wonder?

8.  Andre Carter, DE, Redskins. Age: 32.

One of the many reasons the Redskins sucked this season was because they couldn't get any pressure on the quarterback. Why couldn't they do so? Andre Carter's conversion from 4-3 end to 3-4 rush linebacker failed. Carter, who had 11 sacks in 2009, will thrive elsewhere.

9. Raheem Brock, DE, Seahawks. Age: 33.
    Raheem Brock was arrested for a DUI in early November. After that, he went on a tirade, recording eight sacks in the team's final seven games. Where did that come from? I'm not sure, but Brock turns 33 in June, so it's unlikely that he'll be able to continue this level of play for long.

10 Vernon Gholston, DE, Jets. Age: 25.
    Vernon Gholston was a huge bust for the Jets as the No. 6 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. I'm listing him at 2.5 stars, however, for three reasons. First, Gholston is only 25, and has a ton of upside and athleticism. Second, I'd like to see what Gholston can do in a traditional 4-3. And third, defensive ends usually take a while to transition to the NFL. Granted, Gholston has shown nothing, but there's a slim chance he could be a very late bloomer. He's worth the risk.

11. Phillip Hunt, DE/OLB, CFL. Age: 23.
    Signed with Eagles

Phillip Hunt led the CFL in sacks with 16 last year. The last CFL pass-rusher to come into the NFL was Cameron Wake, but as far as this signing goes, the Eagles should be happy with half of Wake's production from Hunt.

12.  Wallace Gilberry (RFA), DE, Chiefs. Age: 26. Tendered by Chiefs (2nd round)
    Wallace Gilberry was great as a third-down pass-rusher, recording seven sacks in 2010. He's a poor fit for the 3-4, however, and could see much more action if he moves to a team running the 4-3.

2011 Free Agents: OLB 

1. LaMarr Woodley, DE/OLB, Steelers. Age: 26. 
      Franchised by Steelers

One of the top pass-rushers in the NFL, LaMarr Woodley has 35 sacks in the past three years.

2.  Chad Greenway, OLB, Vikings. Age: 28.
      Franchised by Vikings

One of the top outside linebackers in the NFL, Chad Greenway could be franchised this offseason. If not - Sidney Rice is Minnesota's other option - Greenway is going to receive a huge contract from someone.
    3.  Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Raiders. Age: 27. 
      Franchised by Raiders

Moving from strongside linebacker to defensive end depending on the situation, Kamerion Wimbley totaled 9.5 sacks and really helped shut down the run.

4.  Manny Lawson, OLB, 49ers. Age: 27. Manny Lawson isn't the greatest pass-rusher in the world, but he does so many other things very well. Moving on to a team with a 4-3 defense might be ideal for the former first-rounder.

5.  Rocky McIntosh, OLB, Redskins. Age: 28.
      A decent weakside linebacker in the 4-3, Rocky McIntosh was one of many Redskins who were lost in the new 3-4 look. McIntosh will have more success next year as long as he stays away from teams running the 3-4.

6.  James Anderson, OLB, Panthers. Age: 27. James Anderson had a very good year at strongside linebacker, recording 130 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

7.  Stephen Nicholas, OLB, Falcons. Age: 28.
      Stephen Nicholas took over the starting strongside linebacker job in Week 4 and never looked back. He performed very well playing two downs for Atlanta.

8.  Quincy Black, OLB, Buccaneers. Age: 27.
      Quincy Black did a great job as Tampa Bay's two-down strongside linebacker in 2010. He missed the final few weeks with a fractured forearm, which is no big deal.

9.  Matt Roth, DE/OLB, Browns. Age: 28.
      I'm not sure if Math Roth was hurt or not down the stretch, but he struggled late in the year after starting out really well.

10.  Ben Leber, OLB, Vikings. Age: 32.
      Ben Leber can still start as a weakside linebacker, but at 32, his best days are behind him.
    11.  Clint Session, OLB, Colts. Age: 26.
      The Colts missed Clint Session last year; he played in only five games because of an elbow injury.

12.  Thomas Davis, OLB, Panthers. Age: 27.
      Thomas Davis was a 3.5-star linebacker last offseason, but there's major risk here; Davis has torn his right ACL twice in the past two years.

13. Justin Durant, OLB, Jaguars. Age: 25.
      Justin Durant is a quality weakside linebacker, but is frequently injured.

14. Thomas Howard, OLB, Raiders. Age: 28.
      Thomas Howard was the odd man out in a very talented linebacking corps. Despite rotting on Oakland's bench in 2010, he could start for a new team at weakside linebacker next year.

15.  David Vobora (RFA), OLB, Rams. Age: 25. Tendered by Rams (original pick)

David Vobora started the final four games of the season at strongside linebacker and predictably played well. I have no idea why Vobora didn't start all year.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011OLB.php

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

yikes. so essentially there is nobody good that could come free and clear. i just got even more depressed, which i didnt think was possible. maybe there wont be franchise tags this year or something....
    i actually think we will make a strong play for simeon rice, but that still wont help our defense. we are just going to have to score 50 points a game i guess...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

as a 4-3 end avril is average at best vs the run. IMO he is out of position. when KC was still running a 4-3 hali was below average vs the run and average at getting to the QB. avril is far more athletic and effective in space, and in a 3-4 i believe he would be better than hali overall.

whatever this is worth.. old.. but informative

http://www.zimbio.com/Tamba+Hali/articles/9/Exactly+Tamba+Hali+Strengths

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

1.  Quincy Black, OLB, Buccaneers. Age: 27.
      Quincy Black did a great job as Tampa Bay's two-down strongside linebacker in 2010. He missed the final few weeks with a fractured forearm, which is no big deal.
    2.  Matt Roth, DE/OLB, Browns. Age: 28.
      I'm not sure if Math Roth was hurt or not down the stretch, but he struggled late in the year after starting out really well. 
    3. David Vobora (RFA), OLB, Rams. Age: 25. Tendered by Rams (original pick)

David Vobora started the final four games of the season at strongside linebacker and predictably played well. I have no idea why Vobora didn't start all year.
    4.  Charles Johnson, DE, Panthers. Age: 25. 
      One of the top young defensive free agents on the market, Charles Johnson became the fifth Panther ever to record double-digit sacks (12) in 2010. He was dominant from the left end position all year. Carolina cannot afford to let him go.
    5. Harvey Dahl (ATL) – Ask opposing players who have faced Harvey Dahl and they’ll tell you that the right guard brings some extra nasty with him every week. He and Clabo combine to form a physical, dominant right side for the Atlanta Falcons, which allows the offense to control the line of scrimmage. Expect both to re-sign in Atlanta.
    6. Logan Mankins (NE) – The return of Logan Mankins has reinstalled some more nasty into the offensive line and bolstered protection for Tom Brady who has been able to sit back in the pocket and not force throws. With his return, the Patriots have sustained success in the run game with Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead, an unlikely tandem. Though he isn’t playing at quite the same level he was the past three seasons, Mankins continues to be one of the top guards in the league and will be handsomely rewarded this offseason.
    7. Cullen Jenkins (GB) DE – Jenkins is a scheme-diverse linemen who consistently plays with outstanding leverage. He’s a terrific pass rusher who can get penetration on tackles and guards en route to the quarterback. The Packers have a strong rotation and while they will still pursue him, they may not be willing to pay him what it takes to keep him in Green Bay. If he hits the market, his only concern is that he’s somewhat injury-prone, but should otherwise be a disruptive lineman on any team.DE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

We don't even know if there will be the "Franchise" rules in place when actual free agency starts.  It's an obvious catagory for the courts to throw out if the players can get a judge to rule on it. 

Maybe some of these "franchised" players will be available.  That also means that Mankin would have to be signed to a big-time contract or lost.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

There are good free agents, but do you really think they will pony up the big bucks required to get em???

Highly doubtful they will spend on the middfle tier again and finish with an average pass rush

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

We probably won't be sigining RBs and DB free agents.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

I hate to tell you but I think there going into next year with the same group of guys they had this year on the pass rush.  If they move in free-agency it will be to sign Mankins long term or sign an older short term wr, maybe ocho cinco.

Sections
Shortcuts