OK Fess Up: If you EVER posted a dislike of drafting JG but have changed your mind RESPOND

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

OK Fess Up: If you EVER posted a dislike of drafting JG but have changed your mind RESPOND

We all make mistakes in who we want to draft. Even other NFL brain trusts make mistakes. SO BB is not alone (and you should keep THAT in mind when you COMPARE his record to others).

So some here were not JUST disliking the draft pick. They - you - were saying how it proved BB was an awful GM.

WELL - this thread is NOT about BB. NOT....

it is about YOU!

So, if you lambasted BB on that pick and now think different here is your chance to repent. Before it is too late!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Re: OK Fess Up: If you EVER posted a dislike of drafting JG but have changed your mind RESPOND

I absolutely HATED the Jimmy G pick. I really wanted Mettinberg (sp). I'm still interested to see JG hold on to the ball when it gets cold or the ball is wet. He has really small hands and although I admit now in hindsight that it may have been a good pick, I'm still skeptical of his long term ability. I just think we needed a TE or DE more. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Re: OK Fess Up: If you EVER posted a dislike of drafting JG but have changed your mind RESPOND

It wasn't so much a dislike of Jimmy G per se - but more of - why are we picking a QB in the second round when we could be improving areas like the pass rush, TE, OL/DL

If I recall, BB explained after the draft that Brady is getting long in the tooth and Mallett was going into his final year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We all make mistakes in who we want to draft. Even other NFL brain trusts make mistakes. SO BB is not alone (and you should keep THAT in mind when you COMPARE his record to others).

So some here were not JUST disliking the draft pick. They - you - were saying how it proved BB was an awful GM.

WELL - this thread is NOT about BB. NOT....

it is about YOU!

So, if you lambasted BB on that pick and now think different here is your chance to repent. Before it is too late!!!

[/QUOTE]

are we going to hell if we don't repent? Will a hail mary or two suffice?  LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I liked the pick. Brady is getting older, and you need to give a guy a few years before you can start him anyhow. He looked pretty legit two of the three times he has had a chance to play. So that is cool. Though it IS just preseason.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"you need to give a guy a few years before you can start him anyhow"

not lately. See: Russel Wilson. Guys don't absolutely need years of seasoning anymore. See also: Andrew Luck. 

I hated the pick and still do. 

It's an organizational philosophy thing. The Pats (Kraft and Belichick) are more interested in sustained excellence. (I'm not making this up, there are plenty of quotes to back it up not to mention behavior).

My philosophy is you go "all in" on a championship, especially late in a championship QBs career, which is largely what Denver has done. 

That's the philosophy I advocate. 

The Pats have a different one. I think mine is better and more in tune with pro sports (get championships while you can). But you can argue for the Pats sustained excellence view. 

If you have that view, the JG pick makes more sense. 

I don't have that view, so I think the pick is a fail. When you look at the lack of depth at the tight end spot, and how good BB often is drafting tight ends, that's the pick I wanted to see. 

I'm not backing down from that because JG is playing well. 

And I'm going to stick with my view on this.

But a couple things could change that: 

If we win a ring this year then clearly there's no issue. 

If we we a ring this next year, no issue, I'll concede the point. 

If we never win another ring with Brady as QB BUT we do win a ring with JG, then I'll concede the point. 

If we win a ring with Brady but JG wins some games for us while Brady is out, then that also proves the point. 

Otherwise I'm sticking to my view. 

But - I'm still happy that given the pick was made, it seems to be at least a good QB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

p.s. also - most of BB's best QB picks, including Brady, were late rounders. He's great at drafting QBs late - another reason not to need to spend a 2nd round pick on one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I didn't like the pick, and even tho the kid looks like a border line natural I still don't like it. I'd rather we drafted a SS, a TE, a center or possibly an edge de/olb. The only way Jimmy turns out to be a good pick is if Brady gets hurt or falls off and then Jimmy steps in and plays well in a real game.

The only consolation is that our team once again is one of the best teams in the league top to bottom. So it's difficult for me to criticize the selection even tho I don't agree with it.

A few of my good friends here should adopt a little of that philosophy imo.

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Who was the one going over the top about the pick? Someone started numerous threads about it. I forget who it was, but they made a complete fool of themself in doing so.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"you need to give a guy a few years before you can start him anyhow"

not lately. See: Russel Wilson. Guys don't absolutely need years of seasoning anymore. See also: Andrew Luck. 

I hated the pick and still do. 

It's an organizational philosophy thing. The Pats (Kraft and Belichick) are more interested in sustained excellence. (I'm not making this up, there are plenty of quotes to back it up not to mention behavior).

My philosophy is you go "all in" on a championship, especially late in a championship QBs career, which is largely what Denver has done. 

That's the philosophy I advocate. 

The Pats have a different one. I think mine is better and more in tune with pro sports (get championships while you can). But you can argue for the Pats sustained excellence view. 

If you have that view, the JG pick makes more sense. 

I don't have that view, so I think the pick is a fail. When you look at the lack of depth at the tight end spot, and how good BB often is drafting tight ends, that's the pick I wanted to see. 

I'm not backing down from that because JG is playing well. 

And I'm going to stick with my view on this.

But a couple things could change that: 

If we win a ring this year then clearly there's no issue. 

If we we a ring this next year, no issue, I'll concede the point. 

If we never win another ring with Brady as QB BUT we do win a ring with JG, then I'll concede the point. 

If we win a ring with Brady but JG wins some games for us while Brady is out, then that also proves the point. 

Otherwise I'm sticking to my view. 

But - I'm still happy that given the pick was made, it seems to be at least a good QB.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You make a good case for your position Troll Spanker, but the question has been raised before so I'm wondering what player was there in the 2nd that would have been an "all in" pick? Right now they still seem thin at TE, would you have rather seen Fedoriwicz (sp?)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I didn't like the pick, I understood our need to find a replacement for Brady, but I would of rather seen a guy who was going to help right now coming out of the second round. The more I've seen of him, the more I like him...he is clearly a better player than Mallett. Someone mentioned his small hands - and it will be interesting to see how that goes in cold weather and the rain, because that is what he'll be playing in here. We may not find that out for a long time though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I wouldIn't worry too much about him handling the cold. He played college ball in Illinois. It didnt seem to bother him too much. I knewJG was very accurate with a quick release from his college highlights, but he has tremendous poise for a rookie, and progresses through his reads and doesnt lock in on one receiver like many young QBs do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldIn't worry too much about him handling the cold. He played college ball in Illinois. It didnt seem to bother him too much. I knewJG was very accurate with a quick release from his college highlights, but he has tremendous poise for a rookie, and progresses through his reads and doesnt lock in on one receiver like many young QBs do.

[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile, look at EJ Manuel up in Buffalo or Geno Smith in NY.  They look awkward and show no progress.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

I thought it was a monumental BB flop. I will eat those words with only 3 preseason games played. Anyone with a pulse can tell that jimmy g simply gets the position. Good pick. I was wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I wasn't crazy about it,

i was disappointed a little, I wanted a name who could help

to me he was a complete black box, I worried about his size and the small time college, I liked that he had a gun slinger fast release and was accurate

After listening to the draft , I came away with the fact that this draft had between like 20 and pick 100 it was a crp shoot for depth. every player taken had some mark against them, And then too 50% of first rounders don't make it

There was no TE I cared for

Then I thought that BB had to take a qb because Mallett was going to be gone, 

Bb took the qb he thought was best, so what ever point was fine with me. we also have to realize that the pats aren't going to be able to draft a Luck type talent.in the first round. I didn't like any of the qbs, especially Manzel

so I was on board before training camp

Will he be the one, I don't know but he gives hope

Lastly, he is lucky he landed with BB , look what Rex did to Sanchez, and look how Kelly has Sanchez looking now, 

like TB , JG may be just as lucky

Great OP Port

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thought Garp was fine idn't like where they took a QB though. I was hoping for a pass rusher or a TE at that spot more than a QB. But, I did preference it with I'd give him time since we needed a QB anyways and if TE and pass rusher were fixed with other picks I'd b fine. Since Moore looks like a long term, long term project and they mght still be thin at TE they didn't really do the latter but after watching Garp this preseason I'll fully admit that BB made the right choice with Garp in the 2nd. He looks every bit the part. No clue if he even come close to Brady but with the right D looks ilke he could at least give you what Flacco does which still gives them a shot.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Boy, this is a mixed bag.  It's not that it was a bad choice as much as it was a QB pick.  My thinking was the Pats could use help in other areas for depth.  But it's looking like things are working out so far.  I'm not just talking about Garoppolo but how the team is taking shape.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I loved the QB pick in the 2nd round.  I said it on one of the draft day threads when others were killing it.  We need to get Brady's replacement now.  There's only 2 maybe 3 years left there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I loved the QB pick in the 2nd round.  I said it on one of the draft day threads when others were killing it.  We need to get Brady's replacement now.  There's only 2 maybe 3 years left there.

[/QUOTE]
    Same reason I liked the pick.  A QB can go from hero to zero seemingly overnight.  Any NFL player can.  That said, it's very possible both Brady and Manning are going to set new standards not just for how well they play, but for how long they play well.  You have to play off the odds however.  I'm more worried about Brady missing games due to injury.  I'm just fine with taking out a better insurance policy.  Besides, we only picked him 12 slots ahead of where we drafted Mallet.  That isn't a big difference.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Really? We are gonna easily say this pick was smart after 3 preseason games? This kid may never start a game for the Patriots if Brady truly plays well into his 40's like he wants to. This kid may also never do well when the game truly matters. What has he done to warrant any change of mind? Most of us here understand not to crown first year guys HoFers or busts. So why at this point go back on your feelings from a few months ago?

The pick at the time boggled my mind, with so many more important needs, without a doubt, we go QB in the second round....just because he is gonna sit down and learn behind Brady doesn't guarantee future success. Garropolo looks good so far....but I still wish we took a TE, SS, or any other position that required more immediate need. 

Sorry, I haven't changed my mind because he clearly hasn't done enough to change it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think the jury is still out - it truly is only 3 preseason games here.  That said, I didn't know much about the kid until BB picked him.  Since there seemed to be some level of angst on the board I checked him out.  Based on what I read late 2nd round didn't seem unreasonable and, given the Mallett situation and Brady's age I can see the rationale for the pick.  Was he a 'reach' at 2nd?  Well if BB wanted the kid then I don't think so. The Pats apparently weren't the only teams interested in him.

I agree we won't really know until the kid gets on the field against level 1 competition in a tough regular season game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I didn't dislike the pick just surprised by it.  After watching him play I like it.