OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....

OK folks sorry for this thread but I am feeling nostalgic. I am an older Pats fan (wont say how old haha) and I can vividly remember when I was in the 6th grade watching the Patriots with my Dad. After another Pats loss I remember asking him "Dad how come every year the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins always have good teams and the Patriots always stink?" My dad laughed and said "Dont worry son, someday the Patriots will be good too." haha This was in the early 70's and although we lived thru some lean years, he was right the pats finally became relevant. He passed away in 2008, and I am glad he lived long enough to see the Pats become a powerhouse! Again sorry if this bores you I was just thinking of my Dad this morning.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....

Hope your dad is resting well. Yep, they had some rough years. But they have always been a great team to follow. There were relatively few of us back in the day, but those that were there loved them just as much as now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

In Response to OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:
    OK folks sorry for this thread but I am feeling nostalgic. I am an older Pats fan (wont say how old haha) and I can vividly remember when I was in the 6th grade watching the Patriots with my Dad. After another Pats loss I remember asking him "Dad how come every year the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins always have good teams and the Patriots always stink?" My dad laughed and said "Dont worry son, someday the Patriots will be good too." haha This was in the early 70's and although we lived thru some lean years, he was right the pats finally became relevant. He passed away in 2008, and I am glad he lived long enough to see the Pats become a powerhouse! Again sorry if this bores you I was just thinking of my Dad this morning.
    Posted by Quagmire3

Not boring at all...My dad passed in December 2002, 1 week before Christmas. We watched the Patriot's win the Super Bowl in Jan 2001, it was a great family experience.
    Nice to see you still think of your Dad! It's been almost 10 years since mine past and I think of him every day.
    Great Post , and may all the Dad's that have past rest well, and may we all keep them in our hearts and our thoughts and prayers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Hardly boring.  I can relate on two counts: 
    1) My Dad passed in 1980 and, yes, I think of him often. 
    2) I too remember well the lean years with the Pats, sitting on those miserable aluminum bench seats and wondering if the team would ever be seriously competitive.  Thanks for posting and I share Stommppers wish that may all Dads who have passed rest in peace.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Not boring at all Q3, your dad was a prophet. My dad passed away 30 Dec 06. The Sun after I sat w/ my mom watching the Pats beat the Jets in the playoffs, doing just what dad would've been doing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Now this is one refreshing thread....
    Most welcome too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Just called my dad... thanx..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Been a fan just as long (or longer - I still remeber YA Tittle getting up caked in mud! - I do miss the mud bowls.) And I too sat through the many lean years screaming at the TV with my dad. My dad never got to see the SB wins, but did get to see the beginning of the turnaround.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Q3, it's cool that you are thinking of your dad every day.
    Mine is still alive (and I hope he will still live long) but I remember watching with him my first SB ever (in Europe, American football is a pretty minor sport and even more back then). It was in: 1986!
    Since then I kept rooting for those poor losers... Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I went to many games back at Schaffer....I remember there being long lines just to pee in the sink!! Yep....pretty nasty. But I must say the crowd was certainly more into the game back then compared to the shrimp cocktail eating crowd we have now...

But my best Pats/Dad memory was having my whole family at my house for the 2001 superbowl against the Rams. When that FG went through....we all just laughed and hugged eachother for quite a long time....it was amazing!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Great thread.

My Dad passed in October 2002 and I still remember how we both acted like kids on the phone right after Adam V split the uprights for the first SB.  Neither one of us ever thought we'd see that. 

I think of him every day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I guess I'm a generation younger, it's my grandfather who these thoughts remind me of. He taught me what was great about the Pats, but he also taught me why I should loathe the Giants. Sadly, he made it to only 2000, but I'm sure he enjoyed the games where he is. He would have absolutely loved BB.

I'm thankful for Hospice and giving him the ability to be home for one more football weekend.

Now I have to explain to my daughter why daddy is getting all teary eyed.

This is the kind of stuff that makes sports great, and more than just a game to so many of us.

Nice thread, thanks.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sorry not Pats related just football in general...
    Football has given me lots of great memories over the years.  From grabbing the Nerf football early in the morning and running out to play football all day in the neighborhood to Pop Warner to High school, lots of great memories playing.

As far as watching, I enjoyed watching football on TV with my Dad.  He was a Browns fan and I always felt bad for him, watching time and again the Brown get to the playoffs and blow it.  We would skip the last part of church and rush home to watch the game when one of our teams were on tv.  My parents always had fun family super bowl parties.

Now I get to enjoy all these thing with my kids. And even though my father doesn't enjoy football as much these days him and my mother still enjoy throwing the little family super Bowl parties.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In Response to Re: OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:
    I went to many games back at Schaffer....I remember there being long lines just to pee in the sink!! Yep....pretty nasty. But I must say the crowd was certainly more into the game back then compared to the shrimp cocktail eating crowd we have now... But my best Pats/Dad memory was having my whole family at my house for the 2001 superbowl against the Rams. When that FG went through....we all just laughed and hugged eachother for quite a long time....it was amazing!!
    Posted by tanbass

Yep.   I remember the early 70's at Schaefer Stadium.   I especially remember the long pee lines with the mens rooms being all screwed up.    I remember during one game after the Mens Rooms stopped working that the pee lines moved over to the corner cement wall up on the third tier.   It was raining and the pee and the rain were flowing together down the walkways like a yellow mountain river.   That was super nasty.  :)

I also had season tickets back in 72.   That year the Pats got swept by the Division including a 52-0 Loss to the Dolphins in Miami. They finished 1972 with 3 Wins and 11 Losses.  This is one reason why I have come to deeply appreciate the kind of team and organization the Patriots have become.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Great post and I have in passing mentioned my dad in regards to my being a fan of the Patriots. He was a Giants fan first, but when the Patriots began play he bought season tix and became a Patriots Fan First and foremost.  I went to many games with him as I became interested in football. The first team I remember really being old enough where I was really invested as a fan in their success was the 1976 team.  !978 was special also and 86, 96 and of course the 2000+ teams that have dominated. So they had some pretty special teams in the early years but for many reasons just could not consistantly keep it together. My Dad passed in 2005 and I am so glad we had the time to share so many memories with eachother. I rarely if ever saw my dad cry but I remember when they won the first Superbowl he had tears in his eyes. That moment was a memory I will cherrish forever.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:
    Posted by Quagmire3

Well, in the 70's I was already a teenager!!  So, I guess I am older, huh?! Yep, there were some scary days as a Pats fan way back when. Got to enjoy what we have now and quit crying about not having won a SB lately (hear that Rusty?) I've said this a lot, jealousy aside, there are fan bases of many other teams who wish they had our problems, if you call failing to win the SB since 2005 with an appearance in it just last year a problem!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:
    Been a fan just as long (or longer - I still remeber YA Tittle getting up caked in mud! - I do miss the mud bowls.) And I too sat through the many lean years screaming at the TV with my dad. My dad never got to see the SB wins, but did get to see the beginning of the turnaround.
    Posted by mia76

I remember when football in NE only meant the Giants!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulk. Show hulk's posts

In Response to Re: OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days..... : I remember when football in NE only meant the Giants!!!!
    Posted by agcsbill

I really enjoy reading all these great posts.  I am a little younger, so the early '80's was where I began my love for the team.  I remember my neighbor...I will call him "Joe" went to a game with my dad and I.  After the game, by the way the Patriots lost, Joe looked at me and my dad and said " this is why my dad made me a Giants fan". I have not spoken to him since....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I dred the day my father passes, but it's great to hear how you guys cope and keep the memories.

The guy hates sports but tries to watch and act like he cares when me and my bro get together.  He'd ratherr watch "this old house" and Norm Abram. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

it was baseball for me, growing up with the Sox in the 60's was very similar to being a Pat's fan at the same time (67 being the exception), my father claimed the Red Sox would be the death of him, he died a happy 88 3 days after the Sox won the 2004 series surrounded by family

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

My father would talk about Otto Graham, but he loved Grogan and Brady.
    Good times!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

I remember watching the Pats preseason game in Fenway park. In front of me was Johnny Halvechik (sp?) and his girlfriend Bess. It was against the dreaded Jets. Great time. They sure have come a long way.

Sections
Shortcuts